Parent Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
My son was diagnosed with ADD young - had to have him evaluated as his impulse control was nonexistent and he'd lash out at other kids for interrupting him or taking things he was playing with and the daycare said he was going to be expelled - this was after pretty much every approach to discipline had been exhausted (save bamboo splinters under the finger nails and caning).

A low dose of medication helped tremendously at school, but he'd be ill late in the evenings and his appetite sucked during the day. We tried weaning him off around sixth grade - mistake, grades dropped. In seventh he was able to start staying on task and grades improved and he's been off since and finishing up 10th grade in top 10% of his class. He could do better but he's more disciplined than I was as a student so I'm just going to try to make sure he stays focused.

He doesn't want to go back on the meds since they kill his appetite and he wants to gain weight, he's expected to start at middle linebacker next year.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
So are mine, my oldest is 9. Of course I don't have kids, just dogs because I like money.

Yeah, but now that my kids are potty trained, I don't have to pick up their shit in a bag and carry it home when we're on a walk. They're free to shit in anyone's yard, and they're responsible for it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Yup, sounds about right.

One thing I always hated about living in NC is they wouldn't allow my insurance company to give returns to their customers here based on good driving records/profits of the company. Not sure if they still block that in the name of "competitive disadvantage" to the local guys.

trex

Queen Bee
I have lost all patience and am irritated just being around my 17mo. Starting at 13mo he developed a high pitched scream when he was tired/hungry/mad. A few times a day, horrible, but no big deal.

It has since turned into higher pitched screams, longer screams and for seemingly no reason at all. The last 3 weeks it's about 5-30 times an hour. Today I left the house and left them with Tyen twice because I can't listen it it. I have tried speaking quietly in response, yelling at him in response and looking into his eyes telling him no, ignoring it completely. Nothing is working and it's only getting louder and it is happening in public places ALL THE TIME. Yesterday at a play date I realized how jaded I was based on everyone else's reaction to his yelling. One person even asked me if he was "okay?". He has about 15-20 words and up to this point been the sweetest, kindest, easiest baby.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I'd walk away and let him scream it out when you can. That's around the age our son started trying to push our buttons. Fighting fire with fire (yelling back) definitely doesn't work. I tried that too.
Our situation may have been a little different as our guy is now 26 months and still has no words. Signs have helped but he's definitely showed frustration in not being able to communicate to the degree he wants. That has lead to quite a few tantrums.
Either way I can't imagine that'll last forever. Just weather the storm without dropping kicking the kiddo.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just curious if this is normal toddler behavior (I think it is). Whenever my son gets mad, he raises his arm really high and finds something to slap. He will start crying and immediately slap whatever is in the vicinity. Us, toys, couch, etc. Don't matter.

Working on minimizing it but it reminds me of a dude with an anger issue

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Completely normal if that's what is getting him attention. It's all about someone paying attention to his plight.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well it's like does it when he's fristrated. Like he needs to release it.

On another note baby slowed down in growth just like the first. This one could come out as early as next weekend...

Will know more this week. She said she'd induce my wife if the baby dropped under 10th percentile in weight and it's at 10th

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Our son does the same exact thing during the same exact situations.

So I loaded up the Rocket League Championship stream on the TV and the little dude lit right up. I figured he loves cars/trucks and loves watching soccer at the fields nearby so I figured he'd dig watching some RL. I didn't realize he'd like it this much. He kept going and going during the entire match. He still doesn't have any words yet so this is super exciting for us to see. He's definitely trying hard.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Yup, sounds about right.

One thing I always hated about living in NC is they wouldn't allow my insurance company to give returns to their customers here based on good driving records/profits of the company. Not sure if they still block that in the name of "competitive disadvantage" to the local guys.

Nah they still do that shit. If you have a real agent he can work around it, but you ain't getting a refund check.

iannis

Musty Nester
I have lost all patience and am irritated just being around my 17mo. Starting at 13mo he developed a high pitched scream when he was tired/hungry/mad. A few times a day, horrible, but no big deal.

It has since turned into higher pitched screams, longer screams and for seemingly no reason at all. The last 3 weeks it's about 5-30 times an hour. Today I left the house and left them with Tyen twice because I can't listen it it. I have tried speaking quietly in response, yelling at him in response and looking into his eyes telling him no, ignoring it completely. Nothing is working and it's only getting louder and it is happening in public places ALL THE TIME. Yesterday at a play date I realized how jaded I was based on everyone else's reaction to his yelling. One person even asked me if he was "okay?". He has about 15-20 words and up to this point been the sweetest, kindest, easiest baby.

he takes after his daddy.

I troll you mommy. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just curious if this is normal toddler behavior (I think it is). Whenever my son gets mad, he raises his arm really high and finds something to slap. He will start crying and immediately slap whatever is in the vicinity. Us, toys, couch, etc. Don't matter.

Working on minimizing it but it reminds me of a dude with an anger issue

Toddlers have little ability to manage their emotions, so when stupid shit sets them off they can pretty easily get worked up into a state that is harder to get out off. Distraction works best for us now, since our oldest is still under 3.