Parent Thread

Black_Death

Golden Knight of the Realm
5 year old started kindergarten this week which is going to be really interesting. She tends to get frustrated pretty quickly and give up and that shit isn't going to fly at her school.

2 year old got diagnosed with asthma yesterday after having a really bad cough (couldn't go more than 30 seconds or so without coughing). I didn't know that you could just suddenly get asthma, but we're supposed to talk to an allergist and see if it was something brought on by an allergy.

Would love to hear from others with asthmatic kids and get a better feel for what we are in for...

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Our doctor told us it isn't diagnosed asthma until they are like 3 or 4... It's called something else.

We had our daughter tested for every allergy and they all came back negative. She usually gets coughing fits every 2 to 3 months for 3 or 4 days. She's does a nebulizer and albuterol until she feels better and stops coughing. Docs think it could just be seasonal but just aren't sure yet. We had termites in our basement and had everything removed 3 months ago and of course my wife thinks we've been poisoning our kids for their entire lives and we need to move now.

She just turned three and another doctor in the practice says he's seen kids like this for years and then when they turn 4 or 5 it just goes away.

Black_Death

Our doctor told us it isn't diagnosed asthma until they are like 3 or 4... It's called something else.

We had our daughter tested for every allergy and they all came back negative. She usually gets coughing fits every 2 to 3 months for 3 or 4 days. She's does a nebulizer and albuterol until she feels better and stops coughing. Docs think it could just be seasonal but just aren't sure yet. We had termites in our basement and had everything removed 3 months ago and of course my wife thinks we've been poisoning our kids for their entire lives and we need to move now.

She just turned three and another doctor in the practice says he's seen kids like this for years and then when they turn 4 or 5 it just goes away.
That is pretty much what we're experiencing as well. We've been prescribed a daily dose of Flovent for the next year before we re-evaluate and see if he is still impacted. It seems seasonal to me.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Bought the stroller and car seat this week, did a shit load of research and the one I had chosen happened to come up on a fantastic sale, less than half the price anywhere else so bought it early. I can't get in my bloody dining room now, sign of things to come!

Thengel

Bought the stroller and car seat this week, did a shit load of research and the one I had chosen happened to come up on a fantastic sale, less than half the price anywhere else so bought it early. I can't get in my bloody dining room now, sign of things to come!
So much STUFF huh?

My favorite part of being a parent is I have a queue for my recycling bin from all the huge boxes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
5 year old started kindergarten this week which is going to be really interesting. She tends to get frustrated pretty quickly and give up and that shit isn't going to fly at her school.

2 year old got diagnosed with asthma yesterday after having a really bad cough (couldn't go more than 30 seconds or so without coughing). I didn't know that you could just suddenly get asthma, but we're supposed to talk to an allergist and see if it was something brought on by an allergy.

Would love to hear from others with asthmatic kids and get a better feel for what we are in for...

Have you considered an Air Quality test at your house? Mold is shitty.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Yeah, my wife has started a list of shit we need to buy and its already a full side in 2 columns. And this is just stuff you need, nothing on there that is frivolous.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>

The asthma part is rough... I've got it but I keep hoping my kids don't. We've had to neb each of them at least a few times, but the 5yo seems to be ok and the other two aren't old enough to be diagnosed.

I'm a little nervous about the 5yo... she starts kindergarten in two weeks at an immersion school for a language I don't speak. I'm not sure if I'll just let it go or go buy rosetta stone.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
I'm a little nervous about the 5yo... she starts kindergarten in two weeks at an immersion school for a language I don't speak. I'm not sure if I'll just let it go or go buy rosetta stone.

They don't have those in the UK but as we're researching day care some of them are run by people who have a fluent second language and teach the kids, me and the wife were both thinking that was a good idea. I keep thinking I'd like to learn Spanish myself, at least to a 'unlikely to starve' level of comprehension. If the kid speaks it that may be the kick up the arse I need myself. Supposedly the earlier a kid learns multiple languages the better they are at it, the easier they learn.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
They don't have those in the UK but as we're researching day care some of them are run by people who have a fluent second language and teach the kids, me and the wife were both thinking that was a good idea. I keep thinking I'd like to learn Spanish myself, at least to a 'unlikely to starve' level of comprehension. If the kid speaks it that may be the kick up the arse I need myself. Supposedly the earlier a kid learns multiple languages the better they are at it, the easier they learn.
That's the theory, and from what I've seen it's pretty spot on. My daughter is going to a spanish immersion, but there is a french, chinese, and german around the area too (but not in our school district). It minorly slows some of the finer development of English language, but she's already ahead of what's considered normal pace. There was a lottery and a wait list for the school, but by having children all attend at the same time, successive siblings attending skip the lottery system. So now all of my kids are going to that school.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
The county we live in actually has very cheap language classes for kids. Each program works out to $5 a class and each class is 50minutes. Our 3 year old daughter loves Spanish and French classes. They do a lot of different activities during the class like crafts and cooking to learn.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
The county we live in actually has very cheap language classes for kids. Each program works out to $5 a class and each class is 50minutes. Our 3 year old daughter loves Spanish and French classes. They do a lot of different activities during the class like crafts and cooking to learn.

My kids daycare has a weekly spanish lesson and I think its great.

They have computer classes I am a little suspect on. I think I can handle that.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I'm really hoping Spanish is a waste because of glorius god-emperor Trump's wall. Sadly there are neither Italian of Filipino (the main dialect) classes that are as cheap. You know the two languages either me or the wife are fluent in.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm really hoping Spanish is a waste because of glorius god-emperor Trump's wall. Sadly there are neither Italian of Filipino (the main dialect) classes that are as cheap. You know the two languages either me or the wife are fluent in.

I took it in High School because I thought I would have to use it in my lifetime. Looks like the jokes on me! I could have signed up for french and been a pussy slayer.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Yeah, my wife has started a list of shit we need to buy and its already a full side in 2 columns. And this is just stuff you need, nothing on there that is frivolous.

Our list was decent for the newborn, but we ended up not using most of the stuff on the list.

Things we really needed:

Glass bottles for me to feed the baby with after 2 months when mom when back to work.
Breast Pump for her to use
Cloth Diapers
Moby Wrap

I am struggling to remember anything else that was "must have". Two years later and your brain erases that bad nights and you just recall the good, heh.

During the work week the kids are my issue to wake up for and take care of needs, on the weekends she handles it all. This only works because she is my sugar momma. If you both work, that gets complicated.

We looked at day care in the area so we could both keep working, but really, working full time just to pay for day care seems like an issue. We decided I get to stay home and be with the kiddo instead of paying a salary for day care.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
For the breast pump check with your insurance first.

When we gave birth and were in the hospital the nurse asked if we had one - we told her no and she said "hold on, let me check with your insurance." Insurance ended up covering it 100% and we got a really nice breast pump for free.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

trex

Queen Bee
For the breast pump check with your insurance first.

When we gave birth and were in the hospital the nurse asked if we had one - we told her no and she said "hold on, let me check with your insurance." Insurance ended up covering it 100% and we got a really nice breast pump for free.

You can thank Obama for that. All insurances are required to provide one under preventative care. We had to rent a hospital grade pump and one of those $1,400 scales because our second was dropping in his weight percentile (from 9th, to 4th to 1st). Insurance did not cover that. We ended up paying over $200/mo so we didn't have to use formula. I'm glad I stuck it out now, but goddamn, if I never have to see another breast pump again, I could die a happy woman.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
You can thank Obama for that. All insurances are required to provide one under preventative care. We had to rent a hospital grade pump and one of those $1,400 scales because our second was dropping in his weight percentile (from 9th, to 4th to 1st). Insurance did not cover that. We ended up paying over $200/mo so we didn't have to use formula. I'm glad I stuck it out now, but goddamn, if I never have to see another breast pump again, I could die a happy woman.
Could we have some documentation of this milky jug endevour? I think you owe us.