Path of Exile

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
How do traps and mines work in general for playing? I've never played either one. Never had a desire to play one. But it appears it's going to be flavor of the monther, err league. That and minios which I have played and didn't care for. Anyone wanna give me the super quick how they work and play?

Kind of will depend on how the league starts out, the blight mechanic I'll have to see it in aciton.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
How do traps and mines work in general for playing? I've never played either one. Never had a desire to play one. But it appears it's going to be flavor of the monther, err league. That and minios which I have played and didn't care for. Anyone wanna give me the super quick how they work and play?

Kind of will depend on how the league starts out, the blight mechanic I'll have to see it in aciton.

Traps go off when an enemy goes near them and mines you can blow up manually. They take a bit of practice as it's not just steamrolling into a pack etc. Once you can lay lots of traps and mines you can really demolish single targets fast.

They are excellent for pack clearing - probably the best way to get the gist is to watch someone do a few maps/shaper/elder on youtube and see if you like the playstyle before playing it.

Like totems, they don't suit some people.

On a good note they are normally really easy to gear and there's always good builds out there.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
Tried a bit of SSF just to see what that was like. It's not so bad but ultimately doesn't work for someone like me who wants to play specific skills and not build around drops. I also have to loot and ID EVERYTHING which is pretty tedious.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
New irritating problem. Is there a Mod that highlights traps in the game. Is irritating to be practically blind to trap locations because of all the clutter on the screen and darkness. Is there a trick that makes traps easier to get through?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
New irritating problem. Is there a Mod that highlights traps in the game. Is irritating to be practically blind to trap locations because of all the clutter on the screen and darkness. Is there a trick that makes traps easier to get through?
You mean like monster traps? There's only a couple of them in the entire game I don't think it matters and I'm not even sure you can see their traps to begin with. If you mean your own traps, shouldn't matter? Just throw more traps at shit. No one runs monsters through their traps, they just throw traps at the monsters, and iirc there's an ascendency point or a passive as well as a unique that makes undetonated traps detonate after a couple of secs, but otherwise doesn't matter. If you throw traps when you already have some down the old ones just get deleted so seeing where your traps actually are isn't particularily useful.

Last edited:

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Yeah you need to take a carpet bombing approach with traps and grab anything that lets you throw more of them.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
man, I will give them this - they do in three months what Blizzard would take two years to do typically. See D3....

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah Gyre looks like a great clear speed skill, projectiles going everywhere it looked like a less shitty spectral throw for poison, especially the whole building burst thing for whirling blades. Assassin buffs look great for that too, the poison stuff is neat and the elusive stuff look super strong providing a nearly permanent "no extra damage from crit" effect, which reduces the chances of getting one shot a lot. The poison aura thing looks kinda bleh but I guess if you have the sockets for it it's basically free damage. Add Viper Strike for single target and I think poison is going to be really strong this league, especially since poison is great for the league mechanics(slow moving enemies that have way more hp? Sounds like a job for one of the strongest damage scaling over time mechanic).

If I wasn't going summoner I'd definitely go poison, sucks they did both rework in the same league since that's 2 concepts I like.

Btw they changed the way missions work already. You won't get them for being offline anymore, but instead of getting 2 random ones when being offline(or online), you'll get the usual 1 of each so 5 total, for logging in. They still get stocked so you can log out right away but have to log in to get them now. I kinda hope they'll do a mix, where you get 2 randoms baseline, and if you login you get 3 more for the full set, this way you still accumulate when taking a break/can't log in, but you don't lose out when you play everyday.

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Found some leaked tree from the alpha shit. It's buggy but can see some of the new nodes. Minions get a bunch of new stuff. Most interesting one though was the fact Death Attunement(the minion node to the top left) still has +1 spectre. It was assumed that it would be removed since spectre gem gets 2 spectres baseline, but it's still there(along with +1 zombie and +1skeleton). That's a HUGE buff to spectres, since you get one more, and considering spectres are very strong but in small number, even just 1, you go from 4(1 base, 1 tree, 1 chest, 1 boots) to 5, a straight 25% increase in power, which should easily balance out the loss of the spectre specific node.

I'll link it in spoiler, it's from 4chan, it's just the tree.lua so it doesn't have the images and stuff, which means every icon is fucked. Unlinked nodes should be the secret nodes for oils, I think. Replace the tree.lua in your pob to see the changes(make a backup if you want to go back). Replace slash by an actual slash in the adress:
filetransfer.ioSLASHdata-packageSLASHEGMIeRsB

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
All gonna depend on level 20 gems and patch notes for me. They new poison skills look nice but scourge arrow poison was already silly strong before these changes so just need those numbers to see what’s worth it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Can't wait to see which of these poison skills is better used for stacking elemental damage.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
One of them spectre builds that uses a shaper or elder helmet (I forgot which) that gives you a +3 minions and effectively 6 or 7 link depends on what support gems it has on it. With them new talents, boots and bp. Thay would be 5 7Link lvl 28 spectres if ya got the lvl 21 gem, 2 wands, +3 helm and the +2 node. That's freaking insane.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
One of them spectre builds that uses a shaper or elder helmet (I forgot which) that gives you a +3 minions and effectively 6 or 7 link depends on what support gems it has on it. With them new talents, boots and bp. Thay would be 5 7Link lvl 28 spectres if ya got the lvl 21 gem, 2 wands, +3 helm and the +2 node. That's freaking insane.
Those helms are pretty fucking expensive though, especially this league. But yeah you can get some crazy helms. Elder helms can get life/minion +3/minion damage/minion life/conc effect as prefixes(so pick 3 out of these) and the immolate or burning damage as suffixes, immolate being great on most. Thing is if you use a helm for your spectres, that means they're not the only thing you run since you have your usual 6L chest(maybe 7L), so you don't even care that much if they're not fully decked out. Just a +3 minion damage with some life or +2 with minion damage support will be pretty strong. Spectres are fairly absurd damage even with poor links, in my old skeleton build I ran them in a 4L gloves(since no scaling on +level) and they did a shit ton of damage still.

As usual I'm now trying to decide what summons I really want and how to fit them all in my build with all the other skills. Do I want spectres or will zombies be enough for the map clearing job, what about carrion golem should it be linked to shit or just left there for the golem effect it provides, should I focus on scaling skeletons or use them as a side DPS increase for bosses and so on.

I'm also not sure on wether I should just stack raw life like I used to, or do MoM, and if I go MoM not sure if I should use mana potion new passives(basically everytime you drink a mana pot, you remove curses and one elemental ailment, so if you slap bleeding on it, you remove almost everything with 1 mana flask, letting you use lots of utility flasks) and/or EB. If I use both EB and MoM, should I also take Essence Glutton to regen a bunch or can I drop that and use Mistress of Sacrifice for 20%move/cast speed, or maybe 25%block/spellblock, or should I use the corpse shit and hope I can keep corpses in range properly, which is probably gonna require an additional socket to cascade desecrate.

Lots of tweaks as usual. The tree might also change compared to the leaked one so will need to readjust anyway.