Path of Exile

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Oh. Ballista plus toxic rain pathfinder. I’m really curious about ballistas because if they follow totem rules, which they almost assuredly will, I don’t see how sustain is going to work. So many bow builds heavily rely on leech.

Maybe I’ll do hybrid ballista toxic rain trickster to start. Though this is sounding stupid. You don’t really have to aim toxic rain as is. The rain of arrows could be a fun way to distribute poison or elemental damage.

You don't really need to leech as its a totem. It's not the same as you shooting a mob with a bow and it coming right for you, monsters will try to kill the totem first.

Most totem builds don't use leech, even though there's an item that lets you leech if you want to. You go for flasks and regen for the most part. You're not really standing in the packs (you shouldn't be at least) getting hit so you don't really need to leech. I just think of the totems as pets as it's basically the same as playing a pet build, you just run about avoiding everything while the totems do the work.

Pathfinder can keep life flasks up indefinitely so you just spam a life fllask, that along with the totems getting 90% of agro and you should be ok.

Ballistas look pretty interesting, they look like they could be very strong.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
For what it's worth, I feel like they've mentioned lab a lot lately and how it's in need of some upgrades so i doubt it will stay the same for poe2, not saying the annoyances will neccessarily be fewer but should be different atleast.

This is correct. They said every account made before poe2 comes out will be grandfathered in. Essentially, if they tried to check who has done what, they would get a lot of unfortunate false negatives cause of people deleting characters.

Ah so that solves the problem. I expected maybe they'd add a new achievement tracker or whatever and logging in on the class would give you credit so you could prepare a few ascendancies(or all of them) ahead of time. I wouldn't have minded even if it was just running normal lab, just in case they went crazy with the "you must master the ascendancy so you need to do uber lab on an ascendancy to unlock it). As mentionned though it's also possible lab is getting reworked before the expansion.

Aren’t they changing flaks up?
They said they want to change it but I don't think it's this patch. I assume if it was they'd have the tech ready to show it in the demo of 4.0, so I'm thinking they just haven't settled down on something just yet. Honestly I'd be fine with a way to bind multiple keys to one key to begin with, until they figure out if they want to unfuck the whole flask concept in endgame. It sucks I have to do it with a 3rd party that technically is against the ToS.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You don't really need to leech as its a totem. It's not the same as you shooting a mob with a bow and it coming right for you, monsters will try to kill the totem first.

Most totem builds don't use leech, even though there's an item that lets you leech if you want to. You go for flasks and regen for the most part. You're not really standing in the packs (you shouldn't be at least) getting hit so you don't really need to leech. I just think of the totems as pets as it's basically the same as playing a pet build, you just run about avoiding everything while the totems do the work.

Pathfinder can keep life flasks up indefinitely so you just spam a life fllask, that along with the totems getting 90% of agro and you should be ok.

Ballistas look pretty interesting, they look like they could be very strong.

Yeah. I know but I’m thinking that unlike the Templar side, there isn’t a lot of regen on that side. I’ve played several totem builds; I still like strong regen.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Yeah. I know but I’m thinking that unlike the Templar side, there isn’t a lot of regen on that side. I’ve played several totem builds; I still like strong regen.

You can annoint golems blood on a neck and take heart of oak maybe.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
They mentioned in their talks that they want to because its broken but it wont happen until 4.0 or beyond. They had no further thing to say about it other then they know they are broken and they need to redesign.

Given that you can just use a macro I don’t really see the big deal with flasks. Yeah the official stance is no macro but that’s some wink nod shit. Anyone getting rsi or whatever because of flasks is just being stubborn. I fucking hated flasks too until I just macrod them. Perhaps they could just implement it and curb all those complaints once and for all. If the problem is that it’s not reactionary and may as well be baked in as abilities then that’s another thing. Even using a macro is no guarantee that flasks are going to be used properly so there’s still some small element of them not being automatic in the sense of being a straight up inherent bonus. Game would have to slow way down to make them strategic and this game would get really tedious after about a week of grinding at a slow pace. Shit builds are generally labeled as such because of just that. If they want to shitcan flasks entirely so that I won’t have to spam remove bleeding 500 times in a row I’m all for that.

Caliane

should remove them entirely. flasks were obviously a mistake. 100% up times, all fucking bosses require flask charge trash npcs now. how much design revolves around flasks? wormblaster, etc.

Remove flasks. make Pathfinder the Ranger trap ascendancy.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I think mana(non enduring), life, and quicksilver flasks are mostly ok. They are reactionary in purpose, but you can still keep a alchemist quicksilver up most of the time.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well I'd say quicksilver is a bit of a failure too, you can keep it 100% as long as you keep running, and then it feels like shit if you have to backtrack or go afk or whatever cause you're out and now you run like a snail ass. Utility flasks should probably just be cooldown based. It'd feel kinda eh but I just don't see how the current system can be balanced for both mapping where you kill 400mobs a minute and bossing, and the flask power seems designed around the temporary boosts rather than being up 100% of the time. Life flasks also feel inadequate depending on your build. They either heal too little, or you don't have enough charges, or they're mostly irrelevant as you have high natural regen(high leech, straight regen, ES recharge). You can't actually depend on your life flasks too much for bossing because add phases aren't that frequent and don't have that many adds so you don't fully charge.

Overall the whole system probably needs a full rework based on what they want to do with 4.0. Until then stopgap measures would be neat.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Overall the whole system probably needs a full rework based on what they want to do with 4.0. Until then stopgap measures would be neat.

Seems to me that a good solution would just have the flask last X seconds or after killing Y mobs, whichever comes first.

Caeden

I guess? Seems like other skills would be better if you're not going to take advantage of the chaos dot.
Possibly. Why I looked at rain of arrows too. But I think a lot of passives are generic damage over time which should scale both. Obviously you have to make a choice on the ones that are specific to poison.

I’m not sure if the crafts apply to both poison and chaos since they’re both chaos damage.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Possibly. Why I looked at rain of arrows too. But I think a lot of passives are generic damage over time which should scale both. Obviously you have to make a choice on the ones that are specific to poison.

I’m not sure if the crafts apply to both poison and chaos since they’re both chaos damage.
Hmmm, worth cooking up a PoB to investigate. I thought most of the chaos DoT was still segregated by ailment and non-ailment, but you could be right. It's been a few leagues since I played with Toxic Rain.

Indigon, Dying Sun, Malevolence Watcher's Eye, what else is going away that those builds typically use? I'm assuming things like "Supported by Level XX Vicious Projectiles" will be on the new influence items.

Yes, I realize "Indigon" isn't typical, and they're not really going away. But probably expensive as fuck. Maybe they won't nerf the Enduring Mana flask + Indigon interaction then.

Caeden

Dying sun will suck but that’ll be a last upgrade now with the amount of projectiles ballistas will fire. The malevolence watcher’s eye, but that’s been reasonably priced recently. Doesn’t affect poison though.

I’m fully expecting vicious projectiles on the new influence.

So as of some patch, stuff like swift affliction affects chaos dot and any damaging ailment. Now the one that won’t be an automatic take are the non-ailment nodes. Poison is an ailment. I think you’d toss out efficacy. My links would be toxic rain-ballista-poison-vile toxins-Swift affliction-void or added chaos with vicious projectiles on the bow. I think I’d have vicious as my 6l prior to getting the 7l bow.

Edit: I’ve talked myself out of this. I’d just make a good phys/poison/vicious projectile bow and use rain of arrows.

Or scale the toxic rain dot and forget poison proliferation. Trying to work with the hit of toxic rain is meh. Might as fucking well do a trickster ballista dude. And I’m getting another erection now. Need to think.

Last edited:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'll have to see the numbers on the new totems. I'm not sold on them versus mines since the former can die, quite easily.

Malevolence definitely affects poison.

Caeden

I'll have to see the numbers on the new totems. I'm not sold on them versus mines since the former can die, quite easily.

Malevolence definitely affects poison.
You’re right. I thought the mod said non-ailment.

I’ve never had much problem on a Heiro with totems dying. Or at least all dying. We’ll see. Mines are interesting too and we’re pretty amazing last league if not for the nutty minion builds.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider

I started giggling to myself when the video started with Multistrike+. "They're just going to add another repeat to it, aren't they?"

:rolleyes:

Honestly, Spell Cascade+ looks like the only of the bunch that isn't literally just more gooderer.

Support gem plus sounds so dumb and generic and, well, it is.