Path of Exile

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
GGG not going to be happy till the expansion is a totally black screen and you fumble around by sound I guess.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
The screenshot shows bars to fill up with the side having only some orbs. Looks like it will be the entire process.

I hope so

These new clusters are going to have to be pretty fucking awesome to replace skill points at the end of a build. That is usually when you are going for QoL life/damage/mitigation, right?

Contrary to past few leagues theres no obvious power creep in this one which i actually like. Best i can imagine whitout knowing if it actually works is if you can slap some pristine fossils on a gem and get like 3% life and 6flat life per small passive with some nice notables if you're over by the shadow area and can't get any better life nodes.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I hope so

Contrary to past few leagues theres no obvious power creep in this one which i actually like. Best i can imagine whitout knowing if it actually works is if you can slap some pristine fossils on a gem and get like 3% life and 6flat life per small passive with some nice notables if you're over by the shadow area and can't get any better life nodes.

Maybe I don't understand the mechanic but it sounds like socketing these new jewels actually adds skills to the tree and I assume we would have to assign points to them in order to benefit?

Xevy

Log Wizard
Maybe I don't understand the mechanic but it sounds like socketing these new jewels actually adds skills to the tree and I assume we would have to assign points to them in order to benefit?
Yes. Basically it'll allow X class to get Y modifier easier without traveling the tree. Ranger needs elemental damage? Cluster that shit. Templar needs projectile damage? Cluster that shit! You're an elemental berserker and need %attack damage leech? CLUSTER THAT SHIT! There's a lot of nice notables around the tree that are just way too far for other classes to reach without blowing 10-15 extra passives. Having it be 3-5 away now will be very nice. It'll all you to do weird meta shit like more attack based Elementalists or Elemental/Caster based Marauder bases. Also the entire fucking ranger tree will hopefully get some goddamn defense and life. I always want to go Raider, but I never do because it's hard to use uniques and hit 6khp in that part of the tree.

The graphic mechanic of the fog is going to fuck up bad for the first couple weeks. They've always had issues with textures and rendering and shit with these things, I expect that to be horrible.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider

I can't claim i get it either. But if i'm understanding you correctly then yes, all these new jewels come with a really heavy opportunity cost, sort of like intuitive leap and thread of hope because they give you nothing at first compared to a normal jewel that could give you like 60 crit multi. But like xevy says compared to intuitive leap/ToH you have the possibility of getting something tailor made for you that you can't normally get on your part of the tree, in that case it seems like these new jewels might be worthwhile.

Don't know yet if there are any amazing keystones, only seen a couple iirc and they seem very build situational so far.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I mean, it's all baseless speculation until we see what the notables/keystones are.

Entire system will live and die by what is there and how viable any of it is. If it's anything close to what the timeless jewels can do (without the insane rng) it'll open some real interesting possibilities

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
Have any of you boys played a storm burst trickster? Thinking about league starting with it (in case skellies or zombies get nerfed). Looking forward to seeing the numbers on the new skills.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I mean, it's all baseless speculation until we see what the notables/keystones are.

Entire system will live and die by what is there and how viable any of it is. If it's anything close to what the timeless jewels can do (without the insane rng) it'll open some real interesting possibilities
Some of the examples they've shown were pretty interesting. The summoner one was pretty good, you get solid passive nodes(bit of flat life+chaos resist+minion life, so not bad at all although the minion life could be something else) and then a keystone, which obviously is going to be more or less useful depending on build but the summoning one they've shown is very interesting, making minions unkillable for a few seconds after being summoned is a pretty big deal for squishy summons in boss fights(shit like phantasms, animated weapons, SRS or even skeletons with their terrible summoning animations).

But yeah they have a high cost associated, they're directly competing with nodes already on the tree you can reach in the same amount of points. And have to remember you can only slot these in the external jewel sockets, most of which are actually fucking garbage to begin with. For example say I do a Necro. My choices are the socket between templar and witch(natural choice since you path next to it to begin with), but it's 2x 6% elemental dmg before the socket, so you need 3 completely wasted points+jewel just to unlock the stuff. The right side one is "better" with 2x 4% mana but that's not great and you don't naturally path there in the current builds unless going CI. Then you have the templar/marauder one which you get pretty close to/path through if doing a more life build, but that one's 2x 8% armor so it's really pretty bad too, not as bad as elem but almost.

So generally speaking you're going to be wasting 3points to even get started. The other nodes are 4% melee phys/ailments for marauder/duellist, 8% evasion for duellist/ranger and 4% proj dmg for ranger/shadow. The melee/ranged ones are like the elem one in that they don't even do anything for some of the builds that might want them.

One notable thing I've read from Bex on reddit however is that while you will need regrets to unspec them to change stuff, you will only need to regret the notables/keystones type nodes. All the minor nodes in these new jewels can be unspeced for free, so that's nice if you just want to switch stuff around.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
LOL last league I played, granted a while ago, I got to like almost lv 80 before I got my last lab final piece. I hate the whole labyrinth system in this game, I wish they would remove it or at least rework it. It such a huge part of your build and yet you have to rely on RNG to get it?

My character in metamorph is almost 90 and still missing 2. I think I ran a couple hundred maps. Maybe with PoE 2 they'll get rid of the uberlab shit (or at least make it so that the first 6 you get aren't fucking able to be duplicates).

It's easier than it's ever been to spawn elder, shaper and uber elder.

No. A while back, before uber elder was a thing (i'm pretty sure) when high tier map drops weren't super rare drops, I was chain running guardian maps for an entire league. Maybe it was prophecy, I don't remember the league cause it was a long time ago. Then they decided high tier maps should be like exalted orb drops and the endgame should consist of running 85384 yellow maps in hopes of getting 10 red maps to drop unless you decided to play atlas shaping games instead of, you know, actually playing all of the mapping content.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I don’t know I agree that UE is easier to get. But current endgame bosses and map sustain are piss easy now. Nobody should be complaining. Then again, if not SSF, you really have nothing to complain about on finding the trials

Aside from lab is annoying as fuck. I hate that content. Personal preference there.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I don't like lab content either, but it's one the best ways to benchmark your growth as a player. I used to dread doing uber lab, had to buy extra offerings early on. Now, my baseline hp for doing each lab level has continually dropped. I think I'm down to 2k hp for merc lab and 3.5k for uber.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah, my latest review of lab and map sustain is:

Lab is ridiculously easy and only a time sink to find all the trials. Power creep and absolutely no change to the lab fights means the gimpiest of gimp builds can do it.

Also the red map sustain in the new Atlas is ridiculous. Not since Harbinger has it been easier to fill out your Atlas and sustain T14+. I will not argue that farming up the stones is a huge, boring pain in the ass, but once you have them it's red maps out the ying yang.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
New league seems interesting. I'm taking a break until they decide to do something about their awesome, "player interaction" system, or make SSF have more viability in terms of build variety.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You're not playing PoE right if you need to see shit. Memorize fights, dodge what you know is coming, make yourself as immune as possible to everything else.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
PoE Dev Roundtable :

"Remember Betrayal league? We made it so the players couldn't see anything and gave the monsters loads of one shot abilities? Let's do that again, but with fog"

Caliane

I think you meant, "hey Rory, what are we going to do this league?" "same thing we do every league Jonathan, cram the game full of visual clutter, obscure more and more the screen, and add endless bloat to an already overly bloated core game!"