Path of Exile

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
I think next league I'll do something like this. It's basically taking advantage of veteran's awareness + molten shell + divine flesh + regular jugg stuff.

Ya, abyssus might be too squishy and if it is I could just throw on a crown of the inward eye for cheap. I don't think any of the gear will be too hard to get, though I might be optimistic on the chaos resist combined with the regular resists. It's also good in that it doesn't need a GG crafted rare weapon. +crit on a body armour will be relatively easy I think, and if it's still feasible without harvest then additional curse for assasin's mark on hit will be something to shoot for though it might not be necessary.

I was also looking at transcendence on a jugg but getting damage over 2.5 mill plus having the necessary phys taken as element mods seems more of a PITA than it might be worth without harvest gear floating around. But who knows, I try not to underestimate how tanky I need to be to overcome my noobish playstyle :I'm Fine:

As far as crazy ideas floating around my dome, I had an idea to do molten strike + uul-netol's embrace + kineticism... somehow. Kineticism makes the MS projectiles cause bleeding, so you're triggering bone nova that way which would in theory help the dismal lackluster clear of MS. It's probably a dead end though and I don't feel like spending much time with it in POB.

ETA on new league announcement? April 1st-ish?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
New league will likely be announced the week of. GGG's response to criticism, admittedly some of it vociferous, has been quite pathetic.

I've never seen anyone use or even talk about using Veteran's Awareness. Congratulations, you're the first. That's usually a bad thing.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lightning Fast
New league will likely be announced the week of. GGG's response to criticism, admittedly some of it vociferous, has been quite pathetic.

I've never seen anyone use or even talk about using Veteran's Awareness. Congratulations, you're the first. That's usually a bad thing.
I saw a youtube vid mention it as one of the strongest defensive tools available and the downside is negligible or easily overcome. I can't take any credit for the idea, but I have been playing around with it already this league and I think it's pretty good. I'm on the fence whether it's better to put molten shell on your left-click move button or on a CWDT setup, but that's down to preference I think.

Link to the vid:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I saw a youtube vid mention it as one of the strongest defensive tools available and the downside is negligible or easily overcome. I can't take any credit for the idea, but I have been playing around with it already this league and I think it's pretty good. I'm on the fence whether it's better to put molten shell on your left-click move button or on a CWDT setup, but that's down to preference I think.

Link to the vid:
I would say he glosses over the downsides of Veteran's Awareness far too much. It's unreliable(or requires reactive timing with your guard skills), increased uptime does nothing for phys and chaos damage, and as he admitted at the start of the video, his dps was quite bad.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think next league I'll do something like this. It's basically taking advantage of veteran's awareness + molten shell + divine flesh + regular jugg stuff.

Ya, abyssus might be too squishy and if it is I could just throw on a crown of the inward eye for cheap. I don't think any of the gear will be too hard to get, though I might be optimistic on the chaos resist combined with the regular resists. It's also good in that it doesn't need a GG crafted rare weapon. +crit on a body armour will be relatively easy I think, and if it's still feasible without harvest then additional curse for assasin's mark on hit will be something to shoot for though it might not be necessary.

I was also looking at transcendence on a jugg but getting damage over 2.5 mill plus having the necessary phys taken as element mods seems more of a PITA than it might be worth without harvest gear floating around. But who knows, I try not to underestimate how tanky I need to be to overcome my noobish playstyle :I'm Fine:

As far as crazy ideas floating around my dome, I had an idea to do molten strike + uul-netol's embrace + kineticism... somehow. Kineticism makes the MS projectiles cause bleeding, so you're triggering bone nova that way which would in theory help the dismal lackluster clear of MS. It's probably a dead end though and I don't feel like spending much time with it in POB.

ETA on new league announcement? April 1st-ish?
I think for next league I’m gonna do something like this: Grim Dawn - Crate Entertainment

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Lightning Fast
I would say he glosses over the downsides of Veteran's Awareness far too much. It's unreliable(or requires reactive timing with your guard skills), increased uptime does nothing for phys and chaos damage, and as he admitted at the start of the video, his dps was quite bad.
All I have to counter that is anecdotal, but I don't worry too much about being reactive with molten shell. It has ~6-8sec duration with increased duration support and 3 points on the tree so it's up for a long time in general. With 6 points on the tree it also gets the cooldown to under ~2.6 secs though that might be too much investment for some people. As for the dps of that build he's using there he's using VA + transcendance which is tough to gear for if you're not doing the aura-stacking scion and/or replica dreamfeather thing, which is crazy expensive.

Just VA + 3-6 points on the tree on a regular build that can take those points conveniently isn't bad and doesn't really cost much in opportunity cost to do something else. My current build is at ~6mil dps with everything up and it feels fine in general when it comes to VA. I do see the caveat you mention about chaos dmg though, but I'd chalk that up to my current chaos res being abysmal, not VA itself. Throwing on an amethyst flask when needed fixes that up pretty well.

As for the build I linked above, if you uncheck everything and then check the 'lost a guard skill recently' box in POB (no flasks, no molten shell, no enduring cry, but endurance charges are there because they should always be there for jugg) you get 41K phys hit able to be taken, 53K ele hit, and 29K chaos hit. And that's with abyssus. I don't think those are bad for unbuffed damage taken numbers, and they immediately get better once the 2.6-3sec cooldown for molten shell is up and you naturally click it to move around. The phys dot damage taken is high, but that's fixable with staunching or a corrupted blood jewel implicit afaik. Also, that build I linked could easily be a lot tankier, I tried to balance it a bit more towards damage (11.9mil worth!) in the interest of clearspeed.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
One more thing to consider is that you're assuming full duration on an ablative skill. Something eats up all of that buffer, it's not lasting full duration.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Gonna make something like this next go around:

I hadnt considered this for my inquisitor BV..Actually have +3 to phys skill gems so i imagine it should have a little bit extra tank(from 18k to 25k life in pob from level 20 to 23) and you get the conc ground + linger too.
I put a kingmaker one together, I suppose i should try it out in a 100% deli map but i kind of don't feel too motivated to play too much more so will see if i do, actually already got this char to level 100 too, best league ever imo.

Edit: i did 2 100% deli maps and was hyper aware, and could keep it alive by unsummoning it a few times. Then i ran a few normal canyon maps and it died at some point

Last edited:
  • 1Ding!

Lightning Fast
One more thing to consider is that you're assuming full duration on an ablative skill. Something eats up all of that buffer, it's not lasting full duration.
Again this is anecdotal, but the amount of times that something can eat through molten shell's buff before I can kill it is not very often. Maaaybe during certain bosses, but I'm so often running around that I'm not seeing it. Just last night I facetanked Drox with my current setup using this with no problem, though maybe that's not the best test? I honestly have very little experience with bossing.

EDIT: now that I think about it, molten shell's cooldown starts as soon as it expires. Whether that's from getting depleted or from duration, the cooldown is going to be 2.6secs. So I dunno, I guess if you see the buff explosion you know it's time to run like a bitch for a few secs? At least the visual is fairly easy to see as those things go.

Last edited:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Again this is anecdotal, but the amount of times that something can eat through molten shell's buff before I can kill it is not very often. Maaaybe during certain bosses, but I'm so often running around that I'm not seeing it. Just last night I facetanked Drox with my current setup using this with no problem, though maybe that's not the best test? I honestly have very little experience with bossing.
Bossing is where you want this. The best defense while mapping is killing shit.

Drox is all phys damage. Veteran's Awareness and Transcendence isn't doing anything for you on him.

Lightning Fast
Bossing is where you want this. The best defense while mapping is killing shit.

Drox is all phys damage. Veteran's Awareness and Transcendence isn't doing anything for you on him.
Sorry for the confusion, but I don't have transcendence on my current build, just VA + molten shell with the adamant cluster on the tree. And VA does add '20% additional phys reduction while you have a non-vaal guard skill active' as well as the + max res so it's relevant to Drox.

Lightning Fast
You're right, my bad.
No worries. I did look at it in POB again, and to be ultra pedantic it doesn't do much once you're phys capped at 90% which happens fairly quickly with easily attainable armour numbers + endurance charges. I think that's another reason transcendence is so powerful defensively. It pretty much removes the phys taken cap as well, which means you can get to 99% reduction on phys and ele damage taken when you have enough 'phys taken as ele' mods.

It's just a major PITA to collect all those and also have enough damage mods so you don't hit like a strongly worded letter.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
For phys taken as , What are the options there? Think you can get 15 on chest, 8 on helm, and maybe 30 on watchers eye if you’re lucky I think?

Lightning Fast
For phys taken as , What are the options there? Think you can get 15 on chest, 8 on helm, and maybe 30 on watchers eye if you’re lucky I think?
IIRC there's an amulet mod too. 30 from an eye is likely unobtainium, but 20 is probably ok to plan for. There's also a few reduced additional phys mods here and there. Still, without aura stacking I think the options are basically jugg, chieftain (phys as fire on the ascendancy), and maybe champion with the stronger fortify.

There's a few builds on poe ninja doing this sort of thing. You have to search on the timeless jewel though and not the keystone.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Remember seing this MBExtreme video before, went back and checked and you can actually get a 100% converted.
10% on helm
25% on chest from synthesis implicit and essence
16% on shield (6-8% corruption on shield, so double that possible with double corrupt)
20% taste of hate
34% with perfect watchers eye
= 105% total

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lightning Fast
Remember seing this MBExtreme video before, went back and checked and you can actually get a 100% converted.
10% on helm
25% on chest from synthesis implicit and essence
16% on shield (6-8% corruption on shield, so double that possible with double corrupt)
20% taste of hate
34% with perfect watchers eye
= 105% total
Ah right, forgot about the synthesized implicit. The thing with trying to copy most of MBX's builds is that they usually cost 100's of EX because that's what he likes to do. No hate, but it makes it unrealistic... for me anyway. Even he says that when he got done with the build it was kinda pointless since it was way overkill for pretty much all content at the time. Maybe that would be different now with the Feared fight? Dunno.

The build I'm playing around with in POB using jugg + transcendence is showing really high numbers for dmg taken, like 1.1-1.5Mil for ele and 750K phys while having ~2.5-3.3mil DPS depending on how you want to go with it. I still might go that route for the hell of it. Those numbers are also with all flasks going which isn't reliable of course. It's why I'm leaning towards the version I linked earlier that has more damage.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ah right, forgot about the synthesized implicit. The thing with trying to copy most of MBX's builds is that they usually cost 100's of EX because that's what he likes to do. No hate, but it makes it unrealistic... for me anyway. Even he says that when he got done with the build it was kinda pointless since it was way overkill for pretty much all content at the time. Maybe that would be different now with the Feared fight? Dunno.

The build I'm playing around with in POB using jugg + transcendence is showing really high numbers for dmg taken, like 1.1-1.5Mil for ele and 750K phys while having ~2.5-3.3mil DPS depending on how you want to go with it. I still might go that route for the hell of it. Those numbers are also with all flasks going which isn't reliable of course. It's why I'm leaning towards the version I linked earlier that has more damage.

For sure i even doubt his build is viable anymore after they nerfed aura stackers. And if you can get EHp like that, over 1million, thats more than i think even he got so thats impressive.
Offence is the best defence, and it's faster obviously, so if i were you i'd definetly try the higher dps one first.
It'd take a whole lot before i play warcries again though, stylistically i like it, it's just a pain to play, and after a certain point of gearing you'll 1 tap almost anything in a map even as cyclone.

• 1Solidarity

Kythik

Molten Core Raider

I'll give you the 100ex and 50+ maven writs I have left. If Caeden Caeden is done with the league maybe he can log in and give you the HH he has.

• 1Solidarity