Path of Exile

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I like crafting, if there is a reliable way to get what i want then i tend to do it myself.
Most often thats with meta mods +harvest (but essence, fractured, aisling or awakened orb start are also common, in a few cases fossils are really efficient)
I believe i linked the gloves i used last league that i made myself, But also made my chest, shield, boots, belt, ring and amulet was from rog.

Got 2 chests in the process that sold for 30ex and 15ex from just dense fosseling.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As much as I'm still salty about Harvest implementation as it is right now, I still admit I do love crafting in this game. The way I approach crafting for myself is I pull up poedb and just start searching for mods I'd like for my build. Once I've formulated some shit in POEDB I try to theorize how to craft it (I suck at this part). From what I can tell most things start with alt spam, fossil spam, or essence spamming something, if not just buying a base with one or two mods straight up. Blocking mods is extremely important on this part. If you start going after the wrong mods first, your second step is going to be much harder then it might need to be. Honestly its probably the hardest part of optimizing your craft is step 2. There's also a ton of guides out there on how to craft this and that which are great ways to getting started, but most of them really never teach you HOW to think for yourself and craft your own gear. I'm no where near good at crafting, the amount of shit I know would blow away somebody just getting into the game, and the amount of shit that poe math warriors know about crafting would make me look like a retard.

The worst thing about crafting though is trading. You might have a relatively easy craft on paper, but good luck buying 50 x 3 fossils without stabbing yourself in the brain.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'll gamble if I got the mats already. I don't see much purpose to buying mats to gamble unless the market is fucked up.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I see a common theme in the responses and generally I agree. The problem solving aspect of crafting can be fun. Puting that plan in motion is what sucks. Would rather reroll yet another build because I know I can do that myself with pob and little reliance on others.

Crafting has too much reliance on others.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I rolled my own clusters (gag) and did alright this last league blowing harvest rolls on abyss jewels but everything else I looked at making it was better/easier to just buy. I was a meta cuck though on spectres so the supply of that stuff (wand, boots, hat) was going to be available. I expect something like The Squire to demand some really fucking specific one-handers so I might have to craft if I ever want to take advantage of something like that.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I expect the absolute best items to pair with the squire will be unique. 3 to 6 links is much more impactful than 6 to 8 or 9.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Crafting is tedious to learn, but a huge part of the end game. I don't craft for profit I craft for my current builds/future builds/the hell of it. Awakeners orbs especially I just like to throw together and see what happens.

We have a guy who deep dived into PoE this last league. He had played a little bit one league before and he went fucking ham this league. Made hundreds of exalts, had double influenced double awakened elevated boots and shit he made himself. He obviously asked a lot of us a lot of questions and watched a ton of videos about it, but in the end it basically increased his enjoyment of the game by an incredible amount. He had multiple level 98s and played some of the recent temp leagues to just see how easily he can craft his gear again on a fresh start.

I understand a lot of people feel crafting is something they'll never understand so they don't bother, but that's defeatist as fuck and they're just making the game worse for themselves. You don't need the ridiculous boots and shit he made, but understanding how to get X and Y out of Harvest with just random rolls or how to lock in the right prefix/suffix you NEED and getting bonus on top will do people who play leagues past the 2 week boom great benefit. It also turns trash to treasure when you start seeing influence bases that are "bad" then you realize they have an isolated mod that's worth 2 ex to an awakener orber.

Outside of PoEbrainers like the dude who does the work for Grimro or Mathil or Steelmage, it's going to be impossible to learn EVERYTHING about every item in regards to crafting. But if you've got a build you really like and you want to continue playing a good start is to see some of the top end shit they have and when you go "how did they get that?" check for some crafting guides. A lot of niche stuff can't buy their items outright so they have to make them. There's a million how-to's on stuff like influenced helmets for minions or essence crafted items.

You can also become a shitlord and farm niche crafts nonstop for money and buy what you want. I play with some one who makes his gear for his favorite build every league, then decides not to play it, and sells it all for a massive profit. He'll often craft something that's not what HE wants, but is worth more because it hits some odd mod or two that's really good for other builds.

In the end a lot of the time, maybe most of the time, you're better off just farming currency with whatever schtick is posted, but if you don't engage in trade or play SSF it's very helpful just to learn the little stuff like not wasting all your harvest crafts or stuff to save with prefix/suffix rerolls.

Real talk here. No insults or anything.

I can understand what you are saying is true, I just hate it to my core.

The fact that I don't have the time to spend playing each league to get to the place where I can make my own gear means I have to engage with the worthless, uninteresting, depressing trade system. GGG has consciously pushed any kind of real crafting to the ultra late game and that means I'm not playing. If others still like that, more power to you, but it isn't a game I care to play in its current state. I do hope that changes at some point, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Orbs to chance corrupted stuff looks like one of those things you would use at the very very end of a league after you corrupt the really good shit you have no plans to actually use. Just to see what it will do before you stop playing for the league. One of them changes a corrupted item but once used items can't be changed, isn't that corrupted lol.

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The idea of these orbs I'm pretty sure is to just roll random shit on gear that you triple scourged and got good mods. See if you can get something good out of them and what not. I expect scourged exalts to be worth kinda shit, because realistically they're way worse than normal exalts since they can remove shit and have to be used on corrupted gear. So they'll probably make them somewhat common and you can just throw you 3c "exalt" at random shit you picked up off the ground and see if something nice comes out.

Whole league you're gonna have a bunch of corrupted gear due to how it works so makes sense to have orbs that affect them. Doesn't mean anyone with a brain is going to craft this way though, makes much more sense to craft first then scourge the item, even if you get unusable mods for your build, another build will probably be able to use them(like if you get reflect phys then just sell to an elem build and such).

As for crafting I did craft my weapons one league and hated it, even though it wasn't too complicated. It was just fossil crafting, but the amount of time wasted buying fossils and resonators to make the weapons was fucking horrible. I had to stand in my hideout for like 6 or 8 hours or whatever, spamming trade requests and buying shit, then clicking a few buttons and hoping shit would turn out right, and selling all the fails until I had 2 good claws. I made a slight amount of currency doing it even so it was a huge positive in terms of profit(since I also had 2 pretty good claws on top of the small profit), but fuck was it boring and I really don't want to do it again(also they nerfed the shit out of fossil crafting for this iirc). It wasn't fun at all imo and that's why I much prefer buying the items directly, but you lose so much currency doing that, or in my case it was hard even finding the right weapons at the time I looked. If the system for buying currency stuff was automated, it'd be a different thing, but as it stands I really never want to craft anything again.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Yep, it's definitely going in on 3.16, even though they didn't tease it yet -- I guess its not interesting enough to tease.

1634711842464.png

• 1Like

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
Despite my 3.5k hours in this game I've never actually target farmed anything, and I'm thinking to do a golem build this league so The Primordial div card would be clutch (SSF btw). If the wiki and this reddit Atlas are correct, I could just farm T2 Waterways or T3 (or is it T4?) Grotto.

Anyone have experience with this? I know I'd need 6 sets (3 to exchange for Anima, and another 3 to get the extra golem), and I'm wondering if this is gonna be like a day or two of farming or just a handful of hours, when my Atlas is limited to only have Waterways and/or Grotto drop.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Every reddit post I've seen said the drop rate was complete ass for it, and you need a lot. It's definitely not something you should do SSF, better play trade and not trade anything else, or pick another build if you want to do SSF specifically. That or you have to be committed to farm hard for like a week or whatever just to get your build started.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
You'll find the items as natural drops faster than farming up the div card sets these days.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If the league mechanics requires near-copying so many base currencies, shouldn't the league mechanic itself be questioned? I feel like I'm watching some novice programmer copy functions and classes because that's less work instead of elegantly refactoring so that common code only exists in one place.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
It's kinda weird that they are shifting corrupted items from being unchangable to just being changeable now. That kind of defeats the purpose of a corrupted item to begin with doesn't it?

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It does strike as form over function. The league is about demons, so it has to be corruption! They probably could have just reworked Synthesized items with far less complication.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I believe all these tainted orbs (besides the socket ones) are quite recent addons to the league.
So my guess is that either playtesting revealed, or they just felt that players would opt out of using the league mechanic whitout something like this.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I believe all these tainted orbs (besides the socket ones) are quite recent addons to the league.
So my guess is that either playtesting revealed, or they just felt that players would opt out of using the league mechanic whitout something like this.
Basically it's a much worse harvest system without it where you have to have your item at the right 'step' before you can start working on it. That means you're doing the Scourge mechanic and not putting anything in there and wasting juice or you're throwing random shit in there hoping it turns out better for some reason. With these orbs you can do some fine tuning during scourging or afterwards. It's reducing some of the RNG of it rather than the whole thing being one big dice roll.

If people have ever double corrupted high end items you knew you wanted to get it linked/colored/qualitied before blasting it. You could link/color with vaal orbs but it was impractical and costly so you kind of did that at step one. This basically helps mitigate that prep time on some shit and then also allows you to try and gamble some shit on/off to make it more worthwhile.

An interesting note was that this currency SHOULD be usable with Talismans. For whatever that is worth.

• 1Like