Path of Exile

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It works with traps/mines because you allways throw more than 1

Just did a quick test, it most definitely does not. The problem is that no mobs are ever considered cursed after they get 1 shot from the initial hit of hexblast, so the aoe explosions don't trigger. You can throw 4 traps but it still only kills 4 mobs unless you hit a rare or magic mob and it doesn't die in the initial hit.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Unideal because you need curse on hit for single target. And I'd rather not have to pay the mana reservation cost for blasphemy. I was also hoping to take advantage of Impending Doom, and since that would have to go on the blasphemied curse, that makes it even more expensive. Profane Proxy might be the best option here if you're running Skitterbots. Otherwise, Heretic's Veil?

There's also Asenath's Gentle Touch. Not sure how that works, is the curse still applied if you one-shot the target? If so, it would be non-explosion Hexblast(target dies, corpse cursed), non-explosion Hexblast(hopefully near cursed corpse), he goes poof, curses a bunch of enemies, explosion Hexblast. Sounds clunky, but with minefield support, might minimize that clunk.

I have some Asenath's sitting around somewhere. Give me a few minutes and I'll edit this post with the update.

Asenath's don't work either. The curse stays on the corpse but is never consumed by the Hexblast.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just did a quick test, it most definitely does not. The problem is that no mobs are ever considered cursed after they get 1 shot from the initial hit of hexblast, so the aoe explosions don't trigger. You can throw 4 traps but it still only kills 4 mobs unless you hit a rare or magic mob and it doesn't die in the initial hit.
Oh thats interesting.. Thanks for testing that out.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I have some Asenath's sitting around somewhere. Give me a few minutes and I'll edit this post with the update.

Asenath's don't work either. The curse stays on the corpse but is never consumed by the Hexblast.
That's not what I was suggesting.

Single target hexblast -> hexed corpse.
Single target hexblast -> corpse makes sandy poof -> lots of cursed enemies
Explosion hexblast.

This does work, I just tested it. However, clear is still a bit clunky. Also, hexblast mines are a bit aurally annoying. They won't trigger if there is no target, but that won't stop your Detonate skill from continuing to fire every 0.2s.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I would forever prefer to play melee skills in games like this, but that stand still wind up for 1+ seconds seems like enough time for me to die horribly.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I would forever prefer to play melee skills in games like this, but that stand still wind up for 1+ seconds seems like enough time for me to die horribly.

I'm pretty sure that's for display purposes only. In reality you wouldn't be attacking that slow except at the very start of the game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I'm pretty sure that's for display purposes only. In reality you wouldn't be attacking that slow except at the very start of the game.

Oh you sweet summer child; even when you are attacking super fast you can be stunned simply by the amount of hits that you are taking. And when you get stunned out of an attack you just fail to kill those monsters who get to attack again and possibly stun you. It is a vicious cycle.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you're melee you're probably going duelist or marauder (attack nodes and tribal fury are all in the southwest of the passive tree), and all of them have stun immunity in their ascendancy skill tree except chieften.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Oh you sweet summer child; even when you are attacking super fast you can be stunned simply by the amount of hits that you are taking. And when you get stunned out of an attack you just fail to kill those monsters who get to attack again and possibly stun you. It is a vicious cycle.

Yeah but melee players love that shit. At least that's what I assume given their willingness to, in any game in any genre in any medium, run their face in to a belt sander.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Yeah but melee players love that shit. At least that's what I assume given their willingness to, in any game in any genre in any medium, run their face in to a belt sander.

Or, and hear me out, fuck ranged builds.

• 1Like
  • 1Mic Drop

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
If this was a meta-shifting league why are the league starters the exact same as 9-12 months ago? Seismic trap, EA, cold dot, and Helix are still the builds I'm seeing dominate lists. Are the content creators lacking creativity?

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Didn't think this was a big meta shift patch. Did they rebalance the gems, all I saw was LS nerf and some small things.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
If this was a meta-shifting league why are the league starters the exact same as 9-12 months ago? Seismic trap, EA, cold dot, and Helix are still the builds I'm seeing dominate lists. Are the content creators lacking creativity?

It's both. They are so terrified of getting called out or whatever on a "bad" starter guide that an 80iq monkey failed shaper with on day 4 that they only ever list out stuff that already proven to be good.

Anyone recommending Helix though has brain damage.

• 2Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Now you've got me angry about these stupid fucking league starter lists that all just copypastes of siesmic/cold dot/rf over and over again.

A random list of things I've leaguestarted with or rerolled in to as week 1 builds and run all the way to red maps/pinnacle bosses without any real issues at all:

Sunder berserker
Molten strike raider/juggernaut/champion
Cyclone chieftan/raider
Crackling lance inquis
Fireball ignite trickster/elementalist
Frost blades raider/champion
Hexblast ignite inquis
Reap inquis
Ice spear selfcast deadeye
Exsanguinate self cast sion

Rambling list aside the point is: those stupid content creator build/tier lists are just bait for complete noobs that have 0 understand of game mechanics and just need a literal paint by numbers list to follow.

The list of skills in the game right now that are so bad that they would be genuinely challenging to clear in to red maps and do shaper/elder/maven with is pretty damn low, and almost all of them are just lame strike skills or non-functional shit like bodyswap etc.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Rambling list aside the point is: those stupid content creator build/tier lists are just bait for complete noobs that have 0 understand of game mechanics and just need a literal paint by numbers list to follow.

Complete noobs? It takes a ton of time and trial/error to understand the game mechanics. I have hundreds of hours in this game and still use 'literal paint-by-numbers' lists because of how complex this game is. It also takes dedication since you could have had a great handle on the game mechanics in just 3.16, skipped the last 3 leagues, and then come back for 3.20 to find out that you now have another set of resistances (ailments) that you have to consider.

This game is not new player friendly in any sense of the word and by its very nature it gets more unfriendly with every league.

• 3Like

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Now you've got me angry about these stupid fucking league starter lists that all just copypastes of siesmic/cold dot/rf over and over again.

A random list of things I've leaguestarted with or rerolled in to as week 1 builds and run all the way to red maps/pinnacle bosses without any real issues at all:

Sunder berserker
Molten strike raider/juggernaut/champion
Cyclone chieftan/raider
Crackling lance inquis
Fireball ignite trickster/elementalist
Frost blades raider/champion
Hexblast ignite inquis
Reap inquis
Ice spear selfcast deadeye
Exsanguinate self cast sion

The list of skills in the game right now that are so bad that they would be genuinely challenging to clear in to red maps and do shaper/elder/maven with is pretty damn low, and almost all of them are just lame strike skills or non-functional shit like bodyswap etc.
I agree with you 100%, but how many maps do you run a day? 100+? You can make anything work if you're willing to run 100-200 white maps and have the extreme knowledge of how to steer your build. Although I do wonder how much there is a cognitive dissonance between the collective "what's popular" and how much of an advantage those skills truly give.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Complete noobs? It takes a ton of time and trial/error to understand the game mechanics. I have hundreds of hours in this game and still use 'literal paint-by-numbers' lists because of how complex this game is. It also takes dedication since you could have had a great handle on the game mechanics in just 3.16, skipped the last 3 leagues, and then come back for 3.20 to find out that you now have another set of resistances (ailments) that you have to consider.

This game is not new player friendly in any sense of the word and by its very nature it gets more unfriendly with every league.

I don't think using build guides is bad per say, but the issue is people rely on them far too heavily for far too long. Everyone has this mentality that they are the .01% of POE players and should be farming ubers and headhunters every league so they have to play the best thing, whatever it may be, and then whine about build diversity lol.

It's a big reason why I feel like the POE Reddit is such a mess these days. Too many people that have played a year or two worth of leagues using exclusively youtube/twitch personality guides and just following them to a T without ever really gaining any further understanding of the deeper game mechanics and the "why" of some builds work the way they do and the choices behind them.

• 3Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Game also does not explain shit to you. It does not have a combat log for you to study WTF happened and why you died. So 80% of players just dont give a shit and just wanna follow along to a build guide and kill shit because it works. Im one of those players, well I used to be. I just dont give a shit enough to do a deep dive study on this game. I get on kill some shit with build 1, get bored roll another build get bored and quit.

Dont blame players for shit the game lacks in teaching the player WTF is going on. You have to be HEAVILY invested in this game to give a shit. Like YEARS invested.

I see it in my kids trying to paly this game. The younger one has tried like 4 or so leagues so far in the past few years and never even completed the acts. And then he quits.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I don't think using build guides is bad per say, but the issue is people rely on them far too heavily for far too long. Everyone has this mentality that they are the .01% of POE players and should be farming ubers and headhunters every league so they have to play the best thing, whatever it may be, and then whine about build diversity lol.

It's a big reason why I feel like the POE Reddit is such a mess these days. Too many people that have played a year or two worth of leagues using exclusively youtube/twitch personality guides and just following them to a T without ever really gaining any further understanding of the deeper game mechanics and the "why" of some builds work the way they do and the choices behind them.

Dude, the penalty for choosing the wrong class, the wrong ascendency, or the wrong gear to buy or make is huge and doesn't manifest itself fully until you have invested enough time or currency into that particular playthrough that starting over feels really bad. Also, Penance Penance and mkopec mkopec bring up good points around how even figuring out why something doesn't work is so obscure it is almost like sorcery. Even Deathwing Deathwing 's favorite past time, POB, takes hours of dedication to make sure your numbers are being calculated correctly. All of this equals a really bad time for players that do not have some large combination of time, dedication, or mathematical intellect when starting POE from scratch. It is the reason people are entertaining Diablo FORE! as a viable option as an ARPG that doesn't punish them for trying to have fun.

• 3Like