Path of Exile

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
What makes it have more multiplier on splitting steel then say FB or LA?

Splitting steel has an AE explosion when then shards hit something or return to you - this allows every split projectile to hit the same target when they return, as the current return restrictions on projectiles only allow the projectile to hit the same target twice, but does not account for the AoE part.

It's super weird because they specifically nerfed this exact interaction for Nimis on stuff like fireball and creeping frost. I guess they just forgot this is what splitting steel does or something?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Splitting steel has an AE explosion when then shards hit something or return to you - this allows every split projectile to hit the same target when they return, as the current return restrictions on projectiles only allow the projectile to hit the same target twice, but does not account for the AoE part.

It's super weird because they specifically nerfed this exact interaction for Nimis on stuff like fireball and creeping frost. I guess they just forgot this is what splitting steel does or something?
It's perhaps important to distinguish that splitting steel projectiles have a limited lifetime AND explode on destruction. I think it's the only (attack?) ability with that combination. Thus you have to hug the boss for this to work. Maybe a bit of AoE investment too.

Also important to point out that their changes to returning projectiles weren't well documented in the patch notes. I read them and then tested out Nimis in standard and wondered why my fireballs were returning well past me.

I sure as fuck don't remember anything in the patch notes saying

Mark_GGG said:
This was changed in 3.21 so projectiles which return can tavel a distance equal to the maximum projectile range plus the distance from where there start returning to the location the returning is aimed at (usually the caster's location). This is intentional.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just picked up a anomalous shattering steel. How would that go in a vengeant cascade steel build?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I can't stay away from the fucking gambletron this league. Up from a single nurse but I think i'm gonna bitch out this time

Capture.PNG

• 2Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Final build update on splitting steel: Did like 20 various ubers (including Sirus again, do not recommend) and every invite I had. Cleared two wave 30 simulacrums without any real trouble, but if I were to farm sims for real I'd need to find hinder/maim immune someplace. One interesting-ish interaction in simulacrum is the actual call of steel reflect damage doesn't appear to be affected by the damage reduction in there? Pressing call just wiped out the entire screen every wave regardless of how fat stuff got or what mods they rolled. Hilariously enough on wave 29 I got the full boss spawn which was fine, but a rare cage mob with crit immune/regen/cycling reduction was entirely unkillable and 100 times more tanky than all the bosses combined, had to just wait for the wave to time out and for him to despawn.

Build could probably pretty comfortably cruise to 100 on alch'd t16s but that's just sooooo much mindless grinding.

I don't really know how to properly simulate the cascade return shit in PoB, but the split projectiles claim to be 8m dps and if even 75% of them hit on return the damage is....yea

10/10 do recommend if anyone wants to just faceroll the league before they remove this interaction for splitting steel

• 1Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Crap, I wanted to talisman that shaper amulet I found the other day but I just read that it doesn't work on influenced items. Guess I gotta yolo a double corrupt alva on it now. Any suggestions for what I should anoint to it before I do?

amulet.png

• 1Like

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Crap, I wanted to talisman that shaper amulet I found the other day but I just read that it doesn't work on influenced items. Guess I gotta yolo a double corrupt alva on it now. Any suggestions for what I should anoint to it before I do?

View attachment 471860
Nice BV amulet you got there. I wonder if this beats a +2? You can anoint corrupted items and I'd think you'd wait to see if you hit curse or something else to see what you needed.

• 1Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Oh ok, I thought you had to anoint before corrupt.

Edit: Rip, it hit nothing. At least it didn't explode I guess.

Last edited:
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I wonder what the stats are on magebloods that exist from raw drops vs magebloods that exist from card turn ins. Its gotta be something like 100 to 1. Which is fucking nuts considering how rare even the cards are.

Praise the yellow juice.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
wtf is a Voidborn Reliquary Key? Some transmog shit? I had one drop in a white map. Sells for 1.3 div?

Last edited:
  • 1Ding!

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
wtf is a Voidborn Reliquary Key? Some transmog shit? I had one drop in a white map. Sells for 1.3 div?
It's where you get foil/shiny version of base drop uniques.. There are also other special keys that drop in uber pinnacle fights (atleast uber exarch) that give foils of those boss specific uniques

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Fucking standard players in shambles as soon as this league rotates lol

Capture.PNG

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
It's where you get foil/shiny version of base drop uniques.. There are also other special keys that drop in uber pinnacle fights (atleast uber exarch) that give foils of those boss specific uniques

so it's a vanity thing... useless. Might hold on to it and just use it at the end of the league for lols, if I don't get more.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
so it's a vanity thing... useless. Might hold on to it and just use it at the end of the league for lols, if I don't get more.
Either luck, or they changed the drop rate - I personally don't recall seeing a key drop at all to date and I've gotten two this league.

They are definitely a novelty and I am unsure what supports their sale price beyond that.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Christ, finishing 38 achievements this league feels like such a slog and I'm having trouble feeling out why. Some of the achievements are complete ass. Specifically, the crucible related ones. I've been full baking crucibles for over a week and I'm still missing the "beast of the caverns". I've gotten zillions of that metallon asshole.

I *should* put it down and come back to finish this later but months into a dead league seems too much of a risk.

This league mechanic sucks.
It sucks that they won't acknowledge how much this league mechanic sucks. When was the last time they did this? Not going core doesn't count.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Sometimes I think they'll make Crucible core while leaving Sanctum to rot. Out of spite.

PoE really is kind of bipolar with their decisions.