Path of Exile

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just had an Exalt drop in one of my tier 1 maps haha, thinking about trying to trade it for a 6L. I'm playing a firestorm build, should I shoot for Armor + ES base or just pure ES? I wasn't sure how great ES is since it doesn't seem to actually provide mitigation...

Caliane

ES is far and away the best defense.
Simply put, it protects your life from all sources of damages. It doubles up with elemental resist, and other forms of DR, such as taste of hate, end cry, and what weaknesses it does have are totally eliminated by notable passives ghost reaver and CI.

Like I just made a post on reddit about the Life vs ES talk..

People talk life vs ES.but that is wrong, its "ES vs Eva, vs armor in relation to life."

ES protects life from hits, degens, nonhits, attacks, spells, physical and elemental. it ONLY does not protect from Chaos damage.

Eva protects life from attack based hits in a degrading deterministic way.
So, Eva will fail over multiple hits/rng, and fail vs spells, degens, non-hit.

Armor protects vs physical damage hits. Again, no protection vs degens, nonhits, elemental.

Supporting them via passives.

ES then again has "two" weaknesses. it regens out of combat, and does not protect from chaos damage. Massive sources of chaos damage have been limited in the game lately. And CI of course outright removes this only form of actual weakness.
The ES recharge is then negated in several ways as well. Faster recharge, faster start recharge. As well as Zealots oath regen, and ghost reaver leech. Any combination of these totally removes the only downsides of CI. no in combat regen, and chaos damage. Thus a player can rely ENTIRELY on ES for defense.

Eva.

Evasion as noted has many weaknesses. It only protects vs attacks that hit. Then notable passives do not buff it remotely as much as CI/ghostreaver/zealots. Look at acrobatics. 30% dodge, 50% less armor/es, 30% less block. Again, CI removes ES's only weakness. Acrobatics does the opposite. it double downs with a superiour version of evade, and kills alternative defense methods. EVA is so bad, the notable passive buffing it, gives you something else entirely. Dodge is eva but 30% not as shit. Since, it is not negated entirely by accuracy and "hits can't be evaded". Phase acrobatics is better, finally adressing the weakness of EVA, by giving spell dodge. But however, it is again only 30%. Compared to CI's total immunity. Arrow dancing. Instead of addressing Eva's weaknesses... just double downs again on evade. So, what it comes to, no matter how much you invest in Eva, you MUST still invest in raw life, because Eva will not protect your life in all situations. More absurd is investing in eva does not actually scale with acrobatics/phase acro. So, in reality no one is actually even scaling Eva, they are usually scaling DODGE.

Armor.

Armor design wise is in a better place then Eva imho. Again its weakness is degens/ground effects/bleeds/nonhits, and elemental. But, elemental resist is supposed to be doing that... Given armor's placement in the tree, and closeness to str and life nodes. it also makes sense for armor to not DR degens, etc. it doesn't need to. your life pool should be enough to take these slow damage sources. The main problem then is not armor itself. but elemental damage scaling. Due to insane ES effective life since ES scales with elemental resists, GGG has been balancing elemental damage sources off the charts. 75% resists are not enough. you have to overcap, by a large amount with 5-7k life, far more then a 10-15k ES..

Armor needs a passive notable:
Insulation gain 1% max elemental resist for every 1500 armor.

This would then have the same sort of power that CI brings.
Raw life/regen would then deal with degens/nonhits/ground effects. which is available to str/armor.

Fixing Eva.. man I don't know. needs a total rework. Eva naturally in tree has little life. So eva needs to give TOTAL defenses. it must negate/protect from degens/nonhits, spells and attacks. In theory, eva should be the "Lowlife" defense.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
ES is OP only if you mix it with instant regen, which Armor/life can't really pull off, even though IC+end charges come close. Then if you do enough damage, you can simply facetank anything that doesn't oneshot you, because flasks are OP with one particular ascendancy that can keep them up full time, effectively doubling your dps and defense...

Like, if you aren't farming red maps, it doesn't matter. If you are going CI, you want pure ES, however the hybrids are cheaper, since lowlife ES builds need Shav's at some point to not get gibbed by chaos.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Just had an Exalt drop in one of my tier 1 maps haha, thinking about trying to trade it for a 6L. I'm playing a firestorm build, should I shoot for Armor + ES base or just pure ES? I wasn't sure how great ES is since it doesn't seem to actually provide mitigation...

My dumbass noob self got an exalt to drop while running through the game on Cruel and stupidly traded it for 143 Orbs of Fusing to try to five link my Marohi Maul. Had no idea they were worth 64ish Chaos. Didn't get my 5 link and ended up spending around 20 chaos later on for one. Biggest boner move I've made in my short PoE career.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
That isn't a completely fucked up trade really. Depending on the economy fuses generally trade for ~2.5:1c. Looking at the current market 144:1 is a pretty fair trade.

Caliane

its more of a testament to, buying items is always cheaper then trying to craft yourself.

1exalt=140ish fusing is current player market yeah.

T6 vorici sells 20 fusing for 64 jewelers 1/day.
Player market is 20 fusing for 88 jewelers or so.

Jewelers are 7 for vendoring a 6s.
T6 eleron 20 Jewelers for 32 Alterations.
and 1 jeweler for 2 alts via yeena/etc.

so, 1 exalt is 560 jewelers in players market. would have been 175 fusing via vorici.

I blew all my alts, jewelers and fusings on a 6s chest I have. 100 life, 1900ev. failed. over 250fusings. first 100-150 was going slow in case of 5l. never even got that. later just spam clicked. I think I passed over one or 2 5ls.

DaliLhama

Golden Squire
There a trick to getting missing maps like do you need to do maps near the maps you are missing or all that matters is the tiers? Like been trying ro get a mud geyser and a handful of other low level maps but they dont want to drop. I know i can buy them but really want to try to find them 1st before resorting to that and also who the fuck can clear Hall of Grandmasters that shit is bullshit.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
What the fuuuuuck?! Why did exalt spike in price so much? They were selling for 18c a few weeks ago. Glad I held on to all of mine.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
People need chaos to roll maps and exalt crafting becomes viable for more people. Also huge influx from the chaos recipe.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
People need chaos to roll maps and exalt crafting becomes viable for more people. Also huge influx from the chaos recipe.

Most builds are based around doing any maps mods so I don't think as many chaos are being dumped into em. Still a lot ya, but not as many as a few seasons ago.

Also, fuck temp chains god damn. I don't get how they push the game into the current high pace meta (which I like), and they leave that in as a map mod. To argue with myself a little, it's probably the biggest chaos sink in the game honestly.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Most builds are based around doing any maps mods so I don't think as many chaos are being dumped into em. Still a lot ya, but not as many as a few seasons ago.

Also, fuck temp chains god damn. I don't get how they push the game into the current high pace meta (which I like), and they leave that in as a map mod. To argue with myself a little, it's probably the biggest chaos sink in the game honestly.
Temp Chains ís also the reason why I love Juggernauts. Never again slowed !

khalid

Unelected Mod
A bit ago I posted some map data and asked for some advice. I had some people on the forums suggest I roll maps differently.

For this set of results, I quad chiseled all maps, alted until pack size, then regaled. I then Invasioned them in the map device. Every boss was killed, all maps cleared to less than 4 mobs. I made sure to have a +2 map discovered before any of these maps were added to the statistics.

My atlas bonus was 95-100% through all these maps (more on this later).

My google sheet that has the data is at:
2.4mapdrops

Tier 11
33 maps total

Average iiq, iir, packsize, Effective Item Quantity
87.6, 26.06, 13.6, 207
Tier: Number dropped
8 5
9 7
10 10
11 18
12 9
13 0

Looking at this, you can see that tier 11's are more than self-sufficient rolled this way. You very often get a +1 and get many pushes, as well as a good chunk of 10s.

Tier 12
39 maps total

iiq, iir, packsize, EIQ
82.38 26.02 14.17 204.15
9 7
10 6
11 8
12 16
13 8
14 1

Still looks like an easily maintainable level, but not as positive as 11s.

Tier 13
30 maps total

Average iiq, iir, packsize, EIQ
89.8, 25.1, 13.36, 215
10 9
11 5
12 7
13 10
14 3
15 0

Definitely not sustainable, in fact not really close to sustainable.

So this data seems to suggest that tier 11-12 are sustainable as long as you are willing to quad-chisel, get a packsize, regal and invasion.

What is shocking to me is how these results seem very consistent with results before the atlas. Even with the supposed 100% bonus, I had 1 +2 map in over 100 maps of t11+. If this bonus is doing something, I'm confused by what. If the bonus worked like my understanding was, then with a 100% bonus, all the drops would have been shifted down. This clearly can't be true, as +1 maps weren't ridiculously rare before. The amount of +2 maps definitely seems way down from previous leagues.

Now maybe I was unlucky, but I think 100 maps over 3 tiers is a decent sample size. So could someone tell me, what in the heck does the atlas bonus do? My guess is virtually nothing, or there is some nerf that is making a 100% bonus replicate the drop results of the past.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
This league was pretty fun but I can't imagine it will be nearly as fun playing through the Atlas league after league in the future.

At first it seems cool that you can work your way through the Atlas by doing all T1 maps, then all T2 maps, then all T3 maps so on and so forth, but as I got into the mid tiers and above I realized that I was really just grinding all these maps to get my bonus % up before I moved into maps that were actually challenging. In the past (as I understand it) once you started getting higher tier maps you could just move right into them if your character was progressed enough to handle it, but now I feel penalized if I tried to skip a few maps in a certain tier as my bonus % is lower and it seems higher tier maps are balanced around having the bonus % maxed out. Again, pretty fun for this one league but the idea of having to start all over with the Atlas makes it so I'm way less likely to want to try out a new league in the future.

Caliane

yeah. the old map system you could get +2 or even more teir maps as drops at any time. so, progression was generally as fast as you could handle. Current system you are locked to +1 at a time. And by all accounts, something seems wrong with the drop system, because even those +1 are not dropping as regularly as they should.

Anyone claiming advancement in the atlas is either buying maps to unlock, or a streamer playing 8hours/day.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I bought all my maps to unlock but even if you had access to all of the maps and just chain-ran new ones that's still a huge grind through lots of maps that aren't very challenging every time the league resets, idk.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Wish they'd increase high level map difficulty and just flat out up the map drops, allow for +2, +3's ect, and let the builds / speed / gearing go at it. The insane amount of trading needing to be done at high levels to convert currency and sustain maps just wears on me.

On the other hand, if they added a trade marketplace like pretty much every other game, I think i'd be good. It wouldn't wear me down so much getting into a maintaining the higher level stuff.

Did get a shavs drop yday which allowed me to finally get my disfavor, so all in all good season for me so far.