Path of Exile

Caliane

yeah, so another atlas map discussion on reddit. I think I understand the best way to progress now better.

Simply put, actually running highest tiers is arguable a mistake.

If you are at t10 for example.
Run t9. Save up all t10 maps that drop, and 3:1 to get a t11. Run the t11 once to unlock it. Then go back to running t9, and 3:1 the t10 and t11 to unlock t12...

Running a map in hopes of getting the +1 upgrade is massively less efficient then saving up the maps and doing the 3:1.
And this becomes worse the more you unlock. Like the post with the guy farming hydra/chim/pheonix but without having minotaur unlocked.
Every time he runs The Abyss, he first has to get a t16 drop, then with hydra/chim/pheonix unlocked. its pure 1/4 rng to even have it be minotaur. mathematically it is far superior for him to simply save up 3 abyss then to actually run abyss in hopes of the minotaur drop.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
That makes no sense and sounds to me like some sort of Gambler's fallacy. So instead of running a t10 and hoping for a +1 drop which is "hopeless," you're saying you should instead run t9s and hope for 3 +1 drops that you can then convert upward? Maybe the math works out that way at higher tiers say if the drop rate for +1s is suddenly massively lower once you get to a certain tier of map but that sounds pretty fishy to me.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
That makes no sense and sounds to me like some sort of Gambler's fallacy. So instead of running a t10 and hoping for a +1 drop which is "hopeless," you're saying you should instead run t9s and hope for 3 +1 drops that you can then convert upward? Maybe the math works out that way at higher tiers say if the drop rate for +1s is suddenly massively lower once you get to a certain tier of map but that sounds pretty fishy to me.
I believe what Caliane says applies to progressing, not when you have 120+ maps completed. Basically, if you rush the highest map possible, you end up with limited possibilites of what map can drop. You are better off taking it slow and upgrading the maps so you have all 4 paths open and avaiable to drop. Running t12s repeatedly when you have no t13 unlocked makes it impossible for t14 to drop, therefore wasting potential rolls. This is obviously not very relevant in low maps, since they rain from the mobs anyway.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

When running a map, white mobs give +0 or lower, rares +1 or lower, bosses +2 or lower.
when doing a t11 for the first time, you can not get a +2 (t13) since, t12 is not unlocked. Wording from Chris suggested a t12 roll would be locked to t11. (although, people doing map tests have questioned. if, it was working as stated, we should be all seeing far more high tier maps.)
So any t12 and t13 drop should be t12, and then with no t12's unlocked, it WILL be the t12 in line.
lets say the t11 you were doing was Bazaar. it WILL be Shipyard that drops.
Poecraft Atlas of Worlds

however... lets say you do shipyard. And you do Crematorium, estuary, Ivory temple, and residence.
Vault and Necropolis are left.

Vault and necro won't drop if you run t12s. And, they wont drop if you run any t11. you have to run the t11's in line. Torture chamber or Underground sea for Vault, or Excavation for necropolis.
But here is the problem. When you run Torture chamber now... Vault could drop. or Residence, or Shipyard, or Crematorium, or Estuary, or Ivory temple. You are far better off just saving up the torture chambers and selling 3 of them. (which gives residence I think. 3 underground sea=Vault.)

Also, reverse gamblers fallacy.. I suggesting fuck the RNG and go with the sure thing.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
I made a huge mistake last night.

I spent my entire bankroll, like 8ex on a 6L Cospri's Will. It was corrupted, which I didn't think was a big deal since all the stats looked good - I never considered the socket colors - dear god the socket colors - I made a huge mistake and now all my $$$ is gone.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Oh shit man, that sucks. Only thing to do at this point is to try and resell. Are the colors at least decent for something? That chestpiece is awesome for a decent set of builds, so as long as the colors aren't too awful...

Intropy

Shit Gamer
I have no idea if its any good or not (if I did I probably wouldn't have made such a n00b mistake to begin with), all I know is its not what I need: B-B-R-G-B-G

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Not really unless you are sitting on hundreds of vaal orbs. You can always try selling it back though ...

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Yeah, going to try and sell it, with any luck another sucker will come along! Hopefully the POE gods deem having all my money tied up for a few days as sufficient punishment for my ineptitude.

DaliLhama

Golden Squire
So decided to try traps and went with a build that a streamer by the name of Mathil1 played. Good stuff having fun with it thus far. Its a vortex/trap/cluster trap build. Also CI and runs dual curse with a doedres ring also a pyre ring to convert the cold to fire and them crits are something to behold. Only 3 jewel slots though and need to not get hit as it has no leech. So can be rough at times but very fun.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Whats the big deal with the D3 guy who is now a consultant for PoE? Saw a thread on the Diablo reddit of all of the D3 fanbois all sad about it.

@Traps - I love them Dali, traps are my favorite type of skills to build around.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Ex-D2 dev tweeted that he's working on the next big thing in the ARPGs so they immediately set themselves up for a disappointment when it wasn't D4.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Whats the big deal with the D3 guy who is now a consultant for PoE? Saw a thread on the Diablo reddit of all of the D3 fanbois all sad about it.

@Traps - I love them Dali, traps are my favorite type of skills to build around.

Oddly enough he's only a consultant in the capacity for the Chinese launch of PoE. Which I have no clue what that means.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Oddly enough he's only a consultant in the capacity for the Chinese launch of PoE. Which I have no clue what that means.
Since the version features something like AH and P2W elements (like pay-to-not-lose-xp-on-death), I think it was mostly talk about adapting/adding features tailored to that particular market. Maybe he has some experience from his Blizzard days, or he is recognizable enough for the chinese audience as a guy who made Diablo.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Since the version features something like AH and P2W elements (like pay-to-not-lose-xp-on-death), I think it was mostly talk about adapting/adding features tailored to that particular market. Maybe he has some experience from his Blizzard days, or he is recognizable enough for the chinese audience as a guy who made Diablo.

MTX are only in the D3 Chinese client and AFAIK he had nothing to do with that

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
MTX are only in the D3 Chinese client and AFAIK he had nothing to do with that
He was co-founder of Condor/Blizzard North and left for Flagship in 2003, he had nothing to do with D3, however D1/D2 found their way into the chinese market, so that's where his fame comes in.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
He also worked on Marvel Heroes and kinda made it from a shit game to a fairly decent one that became way more profitable from my understanding, so having him work on the chinese version of PoE which has microtransactions and what not seems like a good idea. The name is also recognizable but I think it's more about his experience with this type of game and monetization than because he worked on D2 15years ago.

And yeah he has nothing to do with D3 at all. People are sad in D3 thread/reddit because 2weeks ago or so he made some tweets that he was visiting Blizzard(probably because of the 20th Diablo aniversary panel at Blizcon which he might participate in) and then that he was glad to be working on the future of ARPGs so people assumed it had to do with the rumors of Diablo4, but turns out he meant PoE and not Diablo.