Path of Exile

Ryanz

<Banned>
Scorching ray was never going to be good for anything other than a single target melter based on the mechanics of the skill, but seems it's not even that great for that.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah that's basically one of the issue they have with designing skills, they don't really go crazy with stuff that has a lot of constraints as a way to compensate, so it oftens ends up meh instead since it's just constraints and no upside. It's the general issue with melee, so instead of making melee super strong but limited range, good at like killing bosses and stuff, they're just trying to make melee more and more like range with stupid aoes(EQ) and range(reave, flurry). Not that you could scale damage to make small range/aoe appealing now either though, since even the biggest aoes clear bosses in seconds due to all the multiplicative modifiers on supports they keep adding to the game and all the double dipping mechanics with ignite and poison.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have no idea what to play next league, maybe bow something ? Breach looks interesting, but it doesn't sound like something completely new, more of a remix. I kinda lost interest in Essence around t11-12 maps, didn't even fill out the atlas, guess I should've just bought my way to the rest, but it was still pretty bad design imo.

Wait for a day or two before to see the patch notes, then decide. Its to early to decide when you havnt seen the buffs/nerfs yet.

Caliane

Bladeflurry is not just op, its also kindof fun. so yeah. def one of those deals. don't feel bad about playing it.
1, 2, 3, let go. 1,2,3 let go. the extra damage on the release adds a ton of play to the skill.

Caliane

And Essence is being added as CORE game.
I stand corrected.

Forum - Development Manifesto - Essence As a Core Game Mechanic - Path of Exile
"about 1/6th" the frequency compared to current. this will be balanced by having lower tiers stop dropping, to keep them more relevant.

Also, a few of the OP ones are being nerfed. This is important, as they are not retroactive. Except for Decay.

There were several balance tweaks we wanted to make to the mods offered by essences:
  • Essence of Woe now gives slightly lower values of flat energy shield, % increased energy shield, and spell damage on the higher level brackets of the essence.
  • We are reducing the Decay damage from Essence of Delirium. This will be retroactive, as it will affect all instances of Decay.
  • We are reducing the Socketed Gems have 20% more Attack and Cast Speed on Gloves from Essence of Insanity.
  • We are slightly increasing the chance to gain a random "charge on kill" property for weapons from the Essence of Horror.

For all but the Decay effect, old values on existing items will be stay the same. Using a Divine Orb will reroll them to the new values.

if you want the OP more attack/cast speed 5l gloves, GET THEM NOW. Some potential legacy items being created for standard currently.

Ryanz

<Banned>
CWC.jpg

CWCLevel10.jpg

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Can do Blight+ED. It's not very good, but it's not complete garbage either, probably won't see much use with these numbers and might get buffed to become OP as fuck in a future patch.

Best idea I've seen, possibly, is a burn build with Scorching Ray+Detonate Dead. Burn shit down with scorching, and as they die shit starts exploding automatically and everything dies. Sounds fairly decent, although I don't know how good it'd really be.

They're probably going to be buffing channeling spells a bit before 2.5 too, so that's something.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yeah I thought of blight + ED too but I don't see how that would be anything other than a worse version of current ED+Contagion builds.

I just don't really understand what they were going for with Blight at all. I can see where they're coming from with Scorching since it can be used in conjunction with a lot of the other fire spells to buff them (even without Cast on Channel, like all the videos GGG has shown of it with flameblast totems etc.) but with blight you're facetanking mobs/bosses instead of just throwing an ED into them and continuing to run to stay alive.

Caliane

I feel cast on channel will not be immediately useful, since the channeling spells in most ways do not scale with the same thing on hit spells do.

Spell damage yes. But, duration, faster cast, no crit, no ignite, etc.
These channeling skills scale most directly with faster cast. which wont scale with cast on channel.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'll give that a whirl too. I think once they add more channeling skills and supports they'll be more viable. The cast on channeling opens up synergies with elemental equilibrium and the elementalist tri penetration notable.

Ryanz

<Banned>
They need to hurry up and leak some patch notes so I know wtf I'm making for next league. I have no clue what I want to do, and a large part of figuring that out is going to depend on what's being nerfed or buffed.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They need to hurry up and leak some patch notes so I know wtf I'm making for next league. I have no clue what I want to do, and a large part of figuring that out is going to depend on what's being nerfed or buffed.

Stop worrying about it, relax, go have a drink. Come back when patch notes are out and let them inspire you.

Caliane

"we reviewed feedback on the introduction of the new channeling skills. We feel Blight was underpreforming, and needed to be looked at again. Additionally, Blade flurry was causing fps issues due to its interactions.

"Blade Flurry "more attack speed" reduced to 55%. Damage increase per stage increased to 70% per stage."
"Blight damage increased 6%. Debuff stacks reduced to 3 to compensate."

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Can do Blight+ED. It's not very good, but it's not complete garbage either, probably won't see much use with these numbers and might get buffed to become OP as fuck in a future patch.

Best idea I've seen, possibly, is a burn build with Scorching Ray+Detonate Dead. Burn shit down with scorching, and as they die shit starts exploding automatically and everything dies. Sounds fairly decent, although I don't know how good it'd really be.

They're probably going to be buffing channeling spells a bit before 2.5 too, so that's something.
Wither is a channeled skill, so you could do Wither + Contagion and then separately socket Essence Drain with max damage/duration gems.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
So i'm 99.9% sure I want to do another evasion raider ele wild strike next league... Just gotta figure out how I can avoid being 1shot by some of the bosses since that was the only issue I had on her last league, couldn't kill uber izaro/argus and a couple of the new bosses might be problems too.

Caliane

Life and more life.

I don't like Evasion, and really don't like Raider. not sure why anyone would go raider with pathfinder existing.

My frostblades pathfinder has survival layered. First life is obvious priority on gear. A belly of the beast I consider #1 for melee ranger/duelists. But didn't get my hands on one either in reality.
Rumis is obviously good as well.

Passive Skill Tree - Path of Exile
5023 or so hp atm.

Perma fortify with Fortify on frostblades itself. end cry. cwdt+ic. does NOT have vaal pact, so has constant regen. Has pathfinder surgeons, on instant life flask.
Decoy totem. gear hybrid ar/ev.+rumis of iron skin.
As pathfinder, get perma status immune, and 8% elem DR. As well of course flask effect for those flasks, and flask charge gain in combat.

If raider, just drop ambidex, and get phase acro instead. But frankly, you are giving up elem damage, and a ton of defenses from the increased flask up time and effect, and "breaking" rumis/granite, from acrobatics 50%/30% less.
Some people do of course go even further, in grabbing scion life nodes.
This is about what that would look like.
http://poeplanner.com/AAMAAWRBQU1DQ...mSG5mRnQ5ejNfRUE9PQAQQUFBQ0FBZlFBUUgwQVFBQQAA