Path of Exile

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I played around with static dash and I couldn't verify that it does the same amount of attacks per cast. How are you determining this?

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
For starter builds do people just do whatever or do you aim for a specific build right out of the gate? I'm looking up builds but I don't know the difference between one you can go for as a first character vs. one that requires 83 particular drops of an exact thing oriented by the 7 moons or whatever. Facebreaker is obvious because it just requires level 16 unique gloves to start but I don't even know how hard that is to achieve.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
For starter builds do people just do whatever or do you aim for a specific build right out of the gate? I'm looking up builds but I don't know the difference between one you can go for as a first character vs. one that requires 83 particular drops of an exact thing oriented by the 7 moons or whatever. Facebreaker is obvious because it just requires level 16 unique gloves to start but I don't even know how hard that is to achieve.

It's all different but kinda the same. I went with a build that only worked at level 67 because of the weapon. So 1-67 was just following a basic layout on the tree of physical damage/life/leech etc. Then at 67 using 10 or so regret orbs to swap some things around.

With my build it was like 1 alch/chaos and I was pretty good to go. Some other builds need 1-500 chaos to work at level 67.

There are a ton of videos for 3.0 starter builds and I would just do one of those if you haven't played for years. You don't want to ruin the fun of the game and feel underpowered if you aren't use to it since you'll feel that way anyways.

A lot of people who play a lot will level 1-80 with a easy ranged ele build then spend 50 regret orbs to do what they want. That takes a bunch of trading and time then you're good to go.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

My first build is usually one with a strong skill that can transition into what I want to play without using to many regret orbs. I aim for no more than 40 nodes Id need to respec.

Caliane

Charged(lightning, fuck you) Dash still going well. Damage is good. Clear speed is really good. A few big problems though(mentioned in an earlier post):

1) Certain bosses are really hard due to the fact that single target DPS is you doing very short channels over and over again. Meaning you have to be practically on top of the boss.
2) The skill itself is pretty weird and counter-intuitive. To maximize single target DPS, you want as little move speed as possible, and as mentioned earlier spamming the spell over short distances. There is no real charging. Or moving fast. You have the same amount of attacks per cast if you channel for 0.5 seconds or 2 seconds. The faster your move speed, the less amount of attacks you do, but the faster you reach the maximum distance cap in order to get your 100% more damage. But mathematically, a full charge does less because the lower amount of attacks means there's less overlap on any single target since the attacks are more spread out over a greater distance. Without move speed, getting to max distance takes a good 3 seconds or more. With move speed, you don't do enough attacks. Yeah. Dumb.
3) For some reason, you get only 0.1% damage in 19 levels of the gem. That's literally <0.01% per gem level. Like really?

Still, made it to tier 13, done uber lab, atziri. All cake walks.
This has been my experience with it, yes.
I feel there may be a minimum on on buildup. Like, a .2 or 3.s attack will not make all the hits. and even when 7+, I think >.5s might be needed.

Path of building was updated with a charged dash calc option. it, still considers attacks/s. which is wrong. the skill clearly has breakpoints. But, the calc option gives a LINEAR increase of 0-100% more damage.
I am not sure if this was datamined or assumed. meaining. is it 0-100%, or is it 0,0,0,0,100%.

I went raider. A mistake. Trickster is obviously the superior choice.
Also kraitlyn also was a mistake. passives, or oak.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Beat Kitava last night, was easier than I had hoped.

I'll probably clear merciless lab first, but now I need to go on a shopping spree. I'm a bit lost on how to figure out what to buy, and I quit in 2013 because trading was too time consuming but it seems a "lot" easier now by using poe.trade and that python stash parser. So I'm hopeful I can dump a good chunk of my 20 or so chaos orbs into a starter set of gear. I have no idea how shitty my current gear is, but it let me breeze through the game.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This has been my experience with it, yes.
I feel there may be a minimum on on buildup. Like, a .2 or 3.s attack will not make all the hits. and even when 7+, I think >.5s might be needed.

Path of building was updated with a charged dash calc option. it, still considers attacks/s. which is wrong. the skill clearly has breakpoints. But, the calc option gives a LINEAR increase of 0-100% more damage.
I am not sure if this was datamined or assumed. meaining. is it 0-100%, or is it 0,0,0,0,100%.

I went raider. A mistake. Trickster is obviously the superior choice.
Oh and I think you fucked me on your Oak recommendation for bandits. Nobody is going Oak for frost blades!

I should've done Alira or passives.

Caliane

Oh and I think you fucked me on your Oak recommendation for bandits. Nobody is going Oak for frost blades!

odd. oak, passive or alira shoudl all be solid for frostblades..
are you using a physical weapon/hatred? or elemental+heralds?

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I best Kitava last night, not sure what was going on but I died like 5 times...which is 3 more deaths than I had all the way up to him. The Frost Bolt totem build as warned is definitely not an efficient boss killer, but I might have also been slightly under leveled.

Anywho,

Started to dive into maps for an hour or so, then "some" of the air left me thinking of the map/gear grind. Might roll another character.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

passives, you can respec with a couple regret orbs. I forget how though.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Honestly not worth the cost until you're like 85-90+, the impact is minimal and if you're just playing casually it really doesn't matter much. Oak's fine for a melee char too I think, it's kinda like 2skills points, 1 in a good defensive node and 1 in an average offensive node which is fairly ok.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Ok - everything totem/mine/trap/archer/scorching ray is boring me to tears regardless of the efficiency since I'm not playing hardcore yet while I learn the game and have no reason to play that safe.

Can anyone recommend a melee based build that starts well from budget friendly leveling and ramps up with late game gear? I liked exploding palm monk build and charge or leap/quake barb builds from D3 if there is something similar.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Ok - everything totem/mine/trap/archer/scorching ray is boring me to tears regardless of the efficiency since I'm not playing hardcore yet while I learn the game and have no reason to play that safe.

Can anyone recommend a melee based build that starts well from budget friendly leveling and ramps up with late game gear? I liked exploding palm monk build and charge or leap/quake barb builds from D3 if there is something similar.

Try a Sunder Gladiator or Berserker maybe, you use leap slam to move around and sunder is a pretty good skill atm.

Youtube guide from one of the better POE streamers:

Last edited: