Path of Exile

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yeah, new bandits are definitely not worth respeccing until your character is pimped out to the point where the minimal differences to min-maxing that will come from changing them are the only option left that isn't super expensive. 20% crit multi really isn't some huge buff until your build is finely tuned around getting the most out of it, the 5mana/sec and resists are virtually meaningless since you are probably leeching mana for your sustain and not relying on huge regen of it, and gear should cover your resists anyways.

Wasted 15c on a wand earlier today cause I thought I could craft spell damage on it but apparently not. No fucking clue why GGG decided to add 3 more spell damage prefixes on wands (1 for each element) that don't stack with the straight spell damage mod. As if wands weren't already hard enough to roll with the 7000000 mods they can get between attacks and spells.

Last edited:

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
That's why I liked blade fall trap or eth knives traps with the 360gem

They benefitted from both physical and spell

And they always seem to roll a massive amount of physical lol

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Couple questions:

First, atlas. I saw the post on reddit suggesting which maps to shape from each tier and it looks good, especially the part where Strand is dead. Anyone following any other strategy for how to set things up for sextants and what not later on?

Second, I've reached the "wat do?" stage of gear already, and I don't know how to proceed (usually this stage takes me a couple weeks longer to reach and I just quit, but for once I'd really like to push through it). All my stuff has life on it where possible, decent rolls but not like T1 yet obviously. Still capping out at 3750-ish hp though and it's really not enough. I'll just barely break 4k with my final set of life nodes at 85. 86-94 will be getting jewel sockets that I'll put 7%'s in. The issue is that I need to buy a good claw really soon, along with a 15% Wise Oak, and assuming the claw is 1-1.5ex that's pretty much all the currency I have. Which brings me to my real question -- how the hell do people running builds like the one I'm using go from this point to being able to buy a 6L Belly that's worth ~15ex already? It's a spec throw build that clears maps really fast and with a swap from GMP to Slower Projectiles even the new hp sponge bosses melt in a matter of seconds. How that actually translates into making a pile of currency though... I have no goddamn clue.

View Profile - Path of Exile - Vorph (Felicia_Fancybottom) is where I'm at right now.

Last edited:

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
That's why I liked blade fall trap or eth knives traps with the 360gem

They benefitted from both physical and spell

And they always seem to roll a massive amount of physical lol

Phys mods on wands have no impact on physical damage spells. "Critical strike chance" also only applies to attacks and does not stack for spells with the "critical strike chance for spells" mod. The only mod that is global is critical strike multiplier. That's why good KB/Barrage wands are so expensive, because you have to roll almost exclusively (there are a couple exceptions like spell damage for crown of eyes builds, %elemental damage for elemental based builds) attack mods but there is also a huge pool of spell based mods to rng against. Good spell wands aren't as expensive mostly because the vast majority of people use daggers/scepters for movement skills.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Which brings me to my real question -- how the hell do people running builds like the one I'm using go from this point to being able to buy a 6L Belly that's worth ~15ex already? It's a spec throw build that clears maps really fast and with a swap from GMP to Slower Projectiles even the new hp sponge bosses melt in a matter of seconds. How that actually translates into making a pile of currency though... I have no goddamn clue.

View Profile - Path of Exile - Vorph (Felicia_Fancybottom) is where I'm at right now.

I can't find any more life nodes near where you're at on the tree unless you mean the 3 evasion/armor/life ones near duelist start? You have a lot of damage nodes. What tier maps are you running? If you're really mowing down bosses, you can try removing a little bit of the damage related stuff and grabbing a few jewel slots now and then respeccing into the damage as you level into the 90s if you end up pushing there. You have the +30 int and +30 str nodes down by duelist, can also work on getting those required stats on gear to free up 2 more passives.

Gear wise, you can get a better claw for relatively cheap, or a much better claw if you want to spend most of your currency. Could drop the tabula for a 5link chest that has 100+ life on it, can drop the rats nest for a helmet that has life, or keep both and just work on getting more life on other gear. Leather belt with similar rolls to yours = +35-40 life, gloves with 70+ life roll = another 40, amulet with 80+ life = another +50.

That's a fairly easy 120-150 life on gear you can get which i'm guessing will put you around 4.5k+ once you grab those other 3 nodes. If you swap the rats nest for a helm with 80+ life and grab a couple jewels that should easily put you at 5k+ while still keeping the tabula on for 6link.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I can't find any more life nodes near where you're at on the tree unless you mean the 3 evasion/armor/life ones near duelist start? You have a lot of damage nodes. What tier maps are you running? If you're really mowing down bosses, you can try removing a little bit of the damage related stuff and grabbing a few jewel slots now and then respeccing into the damage as you level into the 90s if you end up pushing there. You have the +30 int and +30 str nodes down by duelist, can also work on getting those required stats on gear to free up 2 more passives.
Written in Blood is the one I'm going for. There's also the ones near the Ranger start, but those are lower priority than jewels.

Gear wise, you can get a better claw for relatively cheap, or a much better claw if you want to spend most of your currency. Could drop the tabula for a 5link chest that has 100+ life on it, can drop the rats nest for a helmet that has life, or keep both and just work on getting more life on other gear. Leather belt with similar rolls to yours = +35-40 life, gloves with 70+ life roll = another 40, amulet with 80+ life = another +50.
Ya, I really need to just get a much better claw at this point. When I plug claws that just upgrade the edps into PoB they end up breaking even or worse than my current one if they don't have ias and crit or crit mult. Upgrading edps significantly while keeping the suffixes is expensive.

That's a fairly easy 120-150 life on gear you can get which i'm guessing will put you around 4.5k+ once you grab those other 3 nodes. If you swap the rats nest for a helm with 80+ life and grab a couple jewels that should easily put you at 5k+ while still keeping the tabula on for 6link.
Definitely don't want to drop the Rat's Nest, but yeah I'm always looking for life upgrades in the other slots that maintain my resists. I'd especially like gripped gloves that have/can craft IAS on them. Wise Oak is also a huge dps increase when my uncapped CR and LR numbers are exactly the same. Right now they are, but I know it's going to really suck trying to maintain that; nevermind adding FR to the mix as well.

The larger problem is still there though. I have no idea how people actually make money in this game besides charging for carries, trying to farm boss uniques early, or spending all your time flipping items instead of playing the game. The guy who made the build already has a 6L Belly among other things and I'm at a total loss as to how one does that without essentially winning the lottery.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Ok - everything totem/mine/trap/archer/scorching ray is boring me to tears regardless of the efficiency since I'm not playing hardcore yet while I learn the game and have no reason to play that safe.

Can anyone recommend a melee based build that starts well from budget friendly leveling and ramps up with late game gear? I liked exploding palm monk build and charge or leap/quake barb builds from D3 if there is something similar.

Try a Sunder Gladiator or Berserker maybe, you use leap slam to move around and sunder is a pretty good skill atm.

Youtube guide from one of the better POE streamers:

was just about to post this, if you like blowing shit up this is it. easy to start and can keep ramping it up decently in high levels

Delly

Trakanon Raider
So I'm finding a lot of gear that I don't meet the STR/INT requirements for. Playing a frost blade ranger, is there an easy way to get these attributes? I know amulets can get them, but I wasn't sure if there was a better way.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Jewelry, crafted mods from masters, belts (for str)

On a lot of my characters I'll temporarily spec into the +30 of a stat nodes until endgame where I have semi-permanent gear, then I'll respec out of them once they aren't needed anymore.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
So I'm finding a lot of gear that I don't meet the STR/INT requirements for. Playing a frost blade ranger, is there an easy way to get these attributes? I know amulets can get them, but I wasn't sure if there was a better way.

Keep an eye on your tree too, if you're following a build they may not have you picking one of the big (+30) state nodes but it's a good stopgap as you level to be able to equip your shit.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
The larger problem is still there though. I have no idea how people actually make money in this game besides charging for carries, trying to farm boss uniques early, or spending all your time flipping items instead of playing the game. The guy who made the build already has a 6L Belly among other things and I'm at a total loss as to how one does that without essentially winning the lottery.

The easiest way to make money early, other than lab carries, is to no-life it for the first few days and hit mid-high tier maps while the majority of the playerbase is starting to get to white maps, because all that gear they are buying is coming from the people in the higher tier maps. Farm up a ton of currency early and start swapping the chaos to exalts asap while the ratios are still super low and all of a sudden you have 30+ exalts at this point just for blowing out chaos recipes and selling mediocre gear for a couple c and flipping 15-20c into exalts. Knock out a couple hundred maps and the currency drops will come. Also could've been someone who got lucky with a fated connections prophecy or lucky fusings (or not lucky fusings but brute forced). At the end of the day, grinding gets 100 people rich for every 1 who hits the lottery.

Ya the +30 nodes are good for while levelling, and then lategame you just want to look for any stats you need on your gear pieces where you can add it in.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What's the common wisdom for how much pierce, chain, and fork to attach to Tornado Shot? I'm thinking 2-3 pierce from passives and then chain support for mapping, slower proj for bosses.

Also, what's the best way to aim Tornado Shot? Into the middle of a large pack, even if the geometric middle of that pack is empty? For single target, on the target itself, or just beyond it?

Caliane

aim TS just beyond primary target. The initial shots will hit with 100% pierce. Then explode in the aoe nova, and also hit targets, in a shot gun effect. So an +8 proj TS can hit a single target 9 times.
+projectiles is then most valuable. it increases aoe coverage, and single target. TS's aoe coverage is so massive, I find chain/fork to be just mega overkill. Pierce is more valuable. But even it, is just ok. as much or as little as you wish. +3-+5 proj, you'll probably want peirce as packs with lots of small things won't all die with 1 shot. +10+11 proj, everything dies.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Chain and fork are mostly useless if you have pierce and GMP. If you have the damage to kill with the initial shot, shoot behind, otherwise into the middle.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Finishing buying a full set of starter gear last night, am super pumped to start running maps this weekend. I quit early on in 2013 because trading was cumbersome, but it's all streamlined so much that now I can spend my time grinding.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The easiest way to make money early, other than lab carries, is to no-life it for the first few days and hit mid-high tier maps while the majority of the playerbase is starting to get to white maps, because all that gear they are buying is coming from the people in the higher tier maps. Farm up a ton of currency early and start swapping the chaos to exalts asap while the ratios are still super low and all of a sudden you have 30+ exalts at this point just for blowing out chaos recipes and selling mediocre gear for a couple c and flipping 15-20c into exalts. Knock out a couple hundred maps and the currency drops will come. Also could've been someone who got lucky with a fated connections prophecy or lucky fusings (or not lucky fusings but brute forced). At the end of the day, grinding gets 100 people rich for every 1 who hits the lottery.

Ya the +30 nodes are good for while levelling, and then lategame you just want to look for any stats you need on your gear pieces where you can add it in.
What are some good, non-obvious tips for generating wealth for someone who is just going to be able to play casually?

Obviously kill speed is king and creation of good maps is important, but is there some technique used to get better drops other than that?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
ya it's super easy. if you buy a sell tab in for your stash it's super easy to price and sell in game too
Yeah I'm a little apprehensive about selling, because it seemed like everyone I bought from was just sitting around their home-base waiting for people to pop in to wordlessly buy their shit. I'm hoping I can offload my goods quickly or find a way to sell without interrupting actually playing the game.

I feel like there should be guys who cater to lazy people like me and just buy items at bulk at a huge discount. I'd take a 20% cut from my goods if it meant I didn't have to stop killing. But I'm just a noob so it's probably easier than I think, like buying gear was.