Path of Exile

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Good point, I'll keep an eye out.
As a follow up, I bought
corrupted.png

for 10c this morning. Obviously not something I'd ever use if it wasn't 6L (GGGGRB), but 263 life, a bit of mana, and some help with keeping str/int high enough to meet the crazy reqs I have on a dex character beats the hell out of a TR.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've been thinking about this a little. With the odds of getting a 6L being like 1/1000, it seems much less maddening to save up the fusings to get 1500 and pay Vorici to do it. Or maybe not, I dunno. I imagine I'll be trying to 6L something like the Belly soon and am really hesitant to play the 1/1000 game. I bet I'd get a 5L and give up :D

When you and Vorph Vorph start getting comfortable with currency and want to level past 90 you need to check out sextant blocking and sextants. It's expensive and a lot to learn but its the only way to grind past 92+ and keep your sanity. Again you need A LOT of currency to use sextants, I typically pause around 88 in new leagues and stack money so I can afford to do this.

The TLDR is depending on the maps you shape and the amount of sextants you can use you can double your XP gain per map by using sextants to populate the map with extra mob packs. One of the reasons Shaped Strand and Shaped Shore was / are so popular is that you can 5-6 sextant those 2 specifically so that's 6 extra mob type packs on top of what the map already has essentially doubling its density. In the larger picture think double the mobs from sextants, 25-40%+ packsize from rolling the map properly, and then doing a zana mod like beyond or breaches. The XP and returns actually make for bearable XP at 90+ and you can easily sustain any maps if you do all 3 mods to the map (zana, roll map, sextant).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
When you and Vorph Vorph start getting comfortable with currency and want to level past 90 you need to check out sextant blocking and sextants. It's expensive and a lot to learn but its the only way to grind past 92+ and keep your sanity. Again you need A LOT of currency to use sextants, I typically pause around 88 in new leagues and stack money so I can afford to do this.

The TLDR is depending on the maps you shape and the amount of sextants you can use you can double your XP gain per map by using sextants to populate the map with extra mob packs. One of the reasons Shaped Strand and Shaped Shore was / are so popular is that you can 5-6 sextant those 2 specifically so that's 6 extra mob type packs on top of what the map already has essentially doubling its density. In the larger picture think double the mobs from sextants, 25-40%+ packsize from rolling the map properly, and then doing a zana mod like beyond or breaches. The XP and returns actually make for bearable XP at 90+ and you can easily sustain any maps if you do all 3 mods to the map (zana, roll map, sextant).
Yeah I watched this video:

Yesterday and tbh didn't understand it. Once I hit 90 I'll take another look.

Before then is there something I should be doing to allocate my shaper orb correctly? It seems like I only get a handful and unshaping is expensive.

I don't really have a preference for specific maps yet because I've only repeating a few maps, but I've been following recommended shaping for the first two orbs I've gotten:
Shaper's Orb

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
As a follow up, I bought
View attachment 151364
for 10c this morning. Obviously not something I'd ever use if it wasn't 6L (GGGGRB), but 263 life, a bit of mana, and some help with keeping str/int high enough to meet the crazy reqs I have on a dex character beats the hell out of a TR.
I'll definitely keep an eye out for 6L corrupteds.

I imagine that a frostblade could do fine with RRGGGB, RRGGGG, RRRGGG and RRRGGB. I'm not sure which is best, but after getting frost blade, multistrike and elemental damage with attacks I don't think it matters that much.

So that's four combinations of colors that would be fine until I get a 6L Belly or rare. Will be a good opportunity to figure out how scam-bot works.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Korrupt Korrupt is the only person I know here that does sextant blocking with any seriousness. It's a huge pain in the ass and really only necessary if you're farming for farming's sake. Which is fine, do that if that's what you like, just realize your goals before you go whole hog shaping(not the orbs) your atlas and blocking sextants. Most people will grow bored of the game LONG before that point. For instance, if your goal is to try a few builds, get 36/40 achievements, the serious farming stuff is not necessary.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Unless you are seriously planning to push to 100 and have tons of currency (ie: very experienced player with tons of free time), you shouldn't even think about sextant blocking or atlas shaping. Certainly not when you are still learning the game.

If anything, set your goal to fill out your atlas and try out guardians.

Vorph

I'd agree about sextants, but no shaping? I think you're vastly better off running shaped maps as your reds rather than the real ones no matter what. Even when I intend to stop at 90-92 I never try to fill the Atlas, so many maps are pure trash that nobody should ever want to see drop.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Korrupt Korrupt is the only person I know here that does sextant blocking with any seriousness. It's a huge pain in the ass and really only necessary if you're farming for farming's sake. Which is fine, do that if that's what you like, just realize your goals before you go whole hog shaping(not the orbs) your atlas and blocking sextants. Most people will grow bored of the game LONG before that point. For instance, if your goal is to try a few builds, get 36/40 achievements, the serious farming stuff is not necessary.

Yeah it cost me 5ex this league when I did it this weekend to only sextant block and shape my atlas properly. I wouldn't call it a huge PITA though, it takes 2 minutes to setup the 2 main maps you'll be grinding with to be blocked but it is expensive especially for newer people. Still imo it's worth it though if you have the currency, even on my other builds I'll play this league with I'll appreciate leveling 2x as fast from 70-90. I'll be using the same blocked sextant's the entire league now.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
How do you get those huge 24x24 stash tabs? I see them in streamer highlights from time to time.

EDIT: haha, ok, I'm a fucking idiot. I thought "quad stash tab" was 4 stash tabs sold at once...Will probably pick up one of those next time they're on sale.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I'd agree about sextants, but no shaping? I think you're vastly better off running shaped maps as your reds rather than the real ones no matter what. Even when I intend to stop at 90-92 I never try to fill the Atlas, so many maps are pure trash that nobody should ever want to see drop.

No shaping as in don't try setting up your atlas so you only get the most optimal map drops etc.

The big tab is the quad tab, I think it's like 20 bucks.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah it cost me 5ex this league when I did it this weekend to only sextant block and shape my atlas properly. I wouldn't call it a huge PITA though, it takes 2 minutes to setup the 2 main maps you'll be grinding with to be blocked but it is expensive especially for newer people. Still imo it's worth it though if you have the currency, even on my other builds I'll play this league with I'll appreciate leveling 2x as fast from 70-90. I'll be using the same blocked sextant's the entire league now.
So just to be clear, the only thing I have to do to prepare for doing this is to not spend my sextants and shaper orbs, right? And until I'm level 90ish I shouldn't worry too much about it?

Vorph

So just to be clear, the only thing I have to do to prepare for doing this is to not spend my sextants and shaper orbs, right? And until I'm level 90ish I shouldn't worry too much about it?
You want to spend your shaper orbs immediately in the hope that the shaped versions start dropping, you just have to know exactly which ones you want.

And yeah, save your sextants, but there's pretty much no way you'll have enough just from drops.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
There's shaper's orbs(boosting good maps up tiers) and shaping your atlas(not completing bad maps so they aren't part of the drop pool unless they are connected to your current map). You should always do the former. The latter, maybe for certain tiers of maps.

Shaping your atlas has a downside of lowering your bonus, which is the chance for a map drop to be boosted by 1 tier(or 2 if your bonus is over 100%). Now that I think about it, that doesn't sound so bad for red tier.

Sextant blocking still sounds like a PITA. But I haven't tried it nor have ever had the throw away currency to feel like it was worth the trouble.

Vorph

I'm around 400 on mine now and starting to despair. I'm well aware that the odds were against me getting it that quickly, but I've basically run out of currency besides an exa I don't want to sell, and I generate fuck-all on a daily basis. The only reason I'm where I'm at now is because of one night where I got a high roll Carcass Jack (and 6S'ed it with 4 orbs), Lioneye's Fall, and a couple other 15c drops.

As for shaping the atlas, I can't see not doing it regardless of newb status or whether going for 90 or 100. Shit maps need to be culled imo. The only difference is whether you know which to skip or you need to ask other people for advice.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
There's shaper's orbs(boosting good maps up tiers) and shaping your atlas(not completing bad maps so they aren't part of the drop pool unless they are connected to your current map). You should always do the former. The latter, maybe for certain tiers of maps.

Shaping your atlas has a downside of lowering your bonus, which is the chance for a map drop to be boosted by 1 tier(or 2 if your bonus is over 100%). Now that I think about it, that doesn't sound so bad for red tier.

Sextant blocking still sounds like a PITA. But I haven't tried it nor have ever had the throw away currency to feel like it was worth the trouble.
Oh fuck me, map drops are based on what maps you unlock, and completing the maps the obvious way (that I've been doing) by unlocking all the maps I can penalizes me?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh fuck me, map drops are based on what maps you unlock, and completing the maps the obvious way (that I've been doing) by unlocking all the maps I can penalizes me?
You can fix it later by "deleting" maps from your Atlas doing...something I forgot but you can probably find it on the wiki. Generally you'd want to open the whole atlas at least once to see each map and stuff but yeah if you're trying to progress past 90 or so, you'll start to want to limit the maps that can drop and use some strategy.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
How much completion bonus would you skip out on by only running shaped reds? Red and yellows?

I only run shaped strand and shore and my bonus is at 91%. I completed every T1-T10, skipped all but one T11, skipped all T12, skipped all T13 except 1, skipped all T14, did all of the T15's, Guardians, and Shaper.

Tuco Tuco the more maps you complete the "bonus objective" on it raises the % counter in the center of your atlas. Then when maps drop for you that % bonus makes it so that the map that just dropped has that % chance to drop 1 tier higher than it would have.