Path of Exile

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
RF cant apply status effects as it doesnt technically deal damage

It doesn't 'hit', but it absolutely deals damage! Anything that works on 'hit' won't apply to RF, like Fire Penetration or Life Leech.

EDIT: Also to further clarify, RF applies the "Burning" status. There are multiple sources of "Burning" that can stack with each other, but not themselves, i.e. two RF totems won't double up the burning damage, but if you have a skill that ignites, the burning damage from ignite will stack with RF's burning damage.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Didnt play Harbringer but did play the one before, legacy and I definitely liked legacy leaguestones better for sure.

Abyss is nice for jewels and powercreep, but it was also admittedly broken only to be fixed liek a week ago, too little too late. Having played 6 characters to 88-90, I only saw lich twice before the patch upping the rates. IMO that shit was broken as fuck. Since the patch, I have seen the lich about 4 times now, not even playing the same rate I have played all league. got 2 one jewel gloves, 1 2 jewel belt, and a lightpoacher.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Character to 91 and another to 85. I saw 3 liches. The first one was bugged and I ended up in the room with no exits/entrances after I entered. They announced higher rate of liches but it seemed pretty late in the league to me. I got the vise with 2 abyssal slots but no stats, the unique I forgot that it's called. Maybe work on a leveling/low level character. I think they get double stats for each jewell.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
RF cant apply status effects as it doesnt technically deal damage, it just applies a DoT. You could try the Occultist RF that the SSFHC guy does every league, it blows up 20% of enemies who are cursed when they die. Thats highly dependant on Occultists ES regen though and we dont know how thats going to change with Ascendancies.

Other than that youd have to get real creative, something like reflecting shocks with Inpulsas on to blow up bodies.
Occultist explosions look nice! However, the one build guide I found was cutedog's, and he's not known for making budget-friendly or league-starter-friendly builds. Is ES-RF a bad idea to start the league?

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Occultist explosions look nice! However, the one build guide I found was cutedog's, and he's not known for making budget-friendly or league-starter-friendly builds. Is ES-RF a bad idea to start the league?

Someone has been hitting first 100 on SSFHC for the last couple of leagues with it. His profile:
View Profile - Path of Exile - Ailatwplayer

Essentially you play regular RF with lots of life/regen nodes and sustaining using flasks until you can get good ES gear. In a trading league youll be able to switch over first day without much trouble. Key point is that you arnt using CI so your life counts towards the RF damage as well. Thats why hes using some things like The Broken Crown (a 1c unique even on day 1) which give a lot of chaos res. Youll want to cap or come very close to capping your chaos res.

Some other notes about the build. It is a clear speed build, you dont sustain RF without the occultist ES regen or vaal discipline for bosses. Bosses like guardians/shaper/elder/whatever is added next league arnt friendly to this build.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I say I'll do those each league and never end up doing them. The cost of the map fragments, the limited amount of attempts, just leads to me getting pissed off.

It looks sustainable with a ton of currency, so probably not realistic.

Last edited:

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider

I think PohX is playing one now (Death's Oath). Coincidentally at the play style (just run forward) looks pretty fun with the pretty purple explosions and I was considering this next league.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Deaths Oath is definitely the weaker version of it. Assuming no big changes to Occultist, id do Aila's ES RF

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Next league (assuming my issue gets fixed) I may start with the scorching ray necro. It was so incredibly cheap. I think until I got the helmet with the uber lab enchant I had at most 5-7c in i. Plus a fair amount of just whatever nobody wanted out of the guild bank. Even uber lab run wasn't required as it only gave chaos resist as a bonus.

I need other ways to get physical damage onto my spell damage as my curses give bonuses to physical spell damage but I only have 100% fire damage other than the abyss jewell which isn't a whole lot. Spell damage applies to scorching ray not just elemental damage but physical...don't do any other "attacks".

Also found out I'm not the only person with issues with charging blades triggering twice, something to do with attack speed. You hit it and you charge forward and instantly charge back or sometimes forward, back, forward, before it catches up.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I say I'll do those each league and never end up doing them. The cost of the map fragments, the limited amount of attempts, just leads to me getting pissed off.

It looks sustainable with a ton of currency, so probably not realistic.
Roll a GC mine saboteur. Seriously, that's what I did this league and I killed shaper for the first time ez. Sure, I had to blow 80c on the fragments, but I'm sitting on 200c+ for no reason/for a rainy day anyway, so why the hell not ?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Why do unarmed, facebreakers or doryanis, shield charge builds exist? Seems like equipping a melee weapon would be more damage.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Facebreakers is a more multiplier, you can get some pretty huge numbers by scaling it with flat phys damage and having a proper build.

Caliane

well, facebreakers has been nerfed repeatedly.

Unarmed attacks have a hidden 1.2attack speed, 0% crit, 4 range.
Witch/shadow/ranger deal 2-5 damage. scion/duelist/templar 2-6, marauder 2-8.

800% more unarmed.
18-45,18-54, and 18-72 base damage.

Added physical is where things get crazy. Classically, abyssus. adds 40-60 damage.
with face breakers.. its effectively, "adds 360-540 damage.'
steel rings, etc.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm probably building this wrong, but I take a doryani's fist build and replace it with a tri-elemental jeweled foil(along with replacing rigwalds, slight passive retooling, and a 4-link ice crash), I get a 40% faster shield charge(though I have no idea how PoB factors in movement speed) 50% higher ice crash dps(compared to doryani's touch). Is there some other advantage to unarmed beyond a few special items that I'm already using?

The crit doryani's fist build was already doing more dps, on paper, than the non-crit facebreakers. Is crit facebreakers a thing? Seems like you would lose too much +phys.

Caliane

you need rigwalds for crit facebreakers. yeah, theres builds for it. i mean, you said you had rigwalds, so know there are?

idk, its fun?

Last edited:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
ok, PoB is dumb and uses the weapon's base aps for shield charge :rolleyes: Not sure if local IAS is applied as a more multiplier to shield charge like it is for other skills. Once you ignore abyss jewels(no way those stick around), a weapon-based shield charger is less dps than a facebreakers or doryani's fist.

The build is fun, first time I played a build that uses shield charge to kill, just trying to figure out the details.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
Looks like I won't have time to finish up the last handful of achievements in my own quest for 36 while remaining SSF. I found a dev saying Migrate All will "move all your stash tabs (and atlas, hideout, masters, all other characters in that league)" which sounds good, but is there anything else to know about migrating to non-SSF, vis-a-vis achievement completion?