Path of Exile

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
They've boosted the chance for adjacent uncompleted maps to drop, so you might want to try again completing it yourself. Buying maps sucks.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
How much chaos/hour do people usually farm? Trying to determine if I should farm up an Oni or run maps on an undergeared character and hope I get enough currency drops for it.

It'd probably be way faster to farm the 50-60 chaos or whatever Oni is now than to farm for him if you are at the point of mapping. I got mine in 5 hours but a lot of people spent/are spending 10-20+. I still pop in with my other characters a couple dozen resets a day and haven't seen another. Next league if I decide to get one I'll definitely just get the jump on leveling.

They've boosted the chance for adjacent uncompleted maps to drop, so you might want to try again completing it yourself. Buying maps sucks.

Hmm Ok.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
If I don't particularly care about killing uber anything until late in the league when I can afford my end game gear is the best way to complete the atlas from buying maps? I've never pushed higher than yellow maps previously and I was mostly winging it.

I've bought maps to complete atlas every league except last league. I didn't play it long enough to complete it and I dunno if I care to buy maps any more now that I need to buy 5million more, I might just resort to running whatever maps I get for a week and then being done with leagues. Drop rates on maps you didn't have were already trash on the old atlas, it's full-retard now.

Unless they literally gave the drop rate a 50 fold increase, i'm sure it's still stupid once you have about half the maps done.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
When I play I usually like playing for the builds, not the "end" whatever that is in this game, be it elder, or whatever. So usually its basically SSF except for shit I buy to supplant shit gear or those specialty items that make the build for my builds along the way. Never buy maps other than maybe a few of the R12-15 ones that just dont seem to drop. TBH, I find the whole mapping thing tedious and boring. This is why I didnt even play this league, because taking 5 builds last season to 88-90 leaves me not wanting too much more of PoE for the time being.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
When I play I usually like playing for the builds, not the "end" whatever that is in this game, be it elder, or whatever. So usually its basically SSF except for shit I buy to supplant shit gear or those specialty items that make the build for my builds along the way. Never buy maps other than maybe a few of the R12-15 ones that just dont seem to drop. TBH, I find the whole mapping thing tedious and boring. This is why I didnt even play this league, because taking 5 builds last season to 88-90 leaves me not wanting too much more of PoE for the time being.

This is my first league I'm not doing HCSSF and since I don't really care about pokemon I figured I'd go softcore and trade league for once while trying out less safe builds and doing content I couldn't push without extreme luck prior. I do prefer the mindless grind of mapping more than story mode. D3 I have only done it three times since release, Grim Dawn once. The rest is rifting/crucible.

I've bought maps to complete atlas every league except last league. I didn't play it long enough to complete it and I dunno if I care to buy maps any more now that I need to buy 5million more, I might just resort to running whatever maps I get for a week and then being done with leagues. Drop rates on maps you didn't have were already trash on the old atlas, it's full-retard now.

Unless they literally gave the drop rate a 50 fold increase, i'm sure it's still stupid once you have about half the maps done.

I'm not sure on drop rates. I usually get 1-2 per, but I'm only at T5 atm. Reading more into it, it looks like buying is pretty much the only way to go to make it feasible.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
This is my first league I'm not doing HCSSF and since I don't really care about pokemon I figured I'd go softcore and trade league for once while trying out less safe builds and doing content I couldn't push without extreme luck prior. I do prefer the mindless grind of mapping more than story mode. D3 I have only done it three times since release, Grim Dawn once. The rest is rifting/crucible.

Yeah I play softcore and trade league too, what I meant was its mostly SSF and selling shit to fund my builds, since most require at least a few items that make or break them. Fuck hardcore, I know some love that shit but I would toss my mouse through a monitor if I died on a character that I had some 100 hours into plus a few exalt.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No you wouldn't, you'd reroll a new character with the massive bank you had on hand and try again or quit the league. Do you play your past league characters? Those would be on Standard same as your HC chars that died.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
2nd time I've crashed and came back as lvl 1 with the same name in twilight strand.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Anyone know what I might be able to sell an abyss jewel for this league with: 5-7 phys to attacks, 6-9 phys with axe, 6-13 cold to attacks, 4-47 lightning with axe. Nothing even close to that much damage on poe.trade atm.

Caliane

PSA on spectral shield throw.

Chain sucks. it is actively a detriment. do NOT run it. Deadeye overall is solid. but do NOT go ricochet.
it looks cool, and on paper sounds great, especially with that 10% more per chain. but mechanically, it kills the skill.

The initial shield can not pierce, and will not explode on fork, or chains. it explodes on projectile consumption.
The key to aoe clear is having that proj explode. Chain delays it and it moves the aoe target location. Both of these create a miserable map clearing experience. Which is why everyone is bitching.

Fork is 1000% better. Fork does the opposite. it reliably creates TWO aoe proj explosions. double the pack clearing power.
Additionally, since the shield will explode on walls, npcs, and obstructions,(not frostwall) small arenas can be abused for shotgunning fork against walls. (proj weakness knockback aids well)
alternatively, just swap out fork for slowerproj for single target.

"the princess" added to super cheap, great sst weapons. doryani's, shaper items obviously as well.

if deadeye, you want gathering winds, powerful prec, fast and deadly. then either farshot, or rupture.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I heard the skill was just plain garbage regardless. You're the only person I know, streamer or not, that's still playing it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Completely unrelated, I usually don't spend much on mystery boxes, ~$30 on every new one since they're good value for the first ones. But damn, does that combined gold and black set look good. This is the first game I've spent money on MTX, but I am worried if every mystery box is going to be this good and wallet raping in the future.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
PSA on spectral shield throw.

Chain sucks. it is actively a detriment. do NOT run it. Deadeye overall is solid. but do NOT go ricochet.
it looks cool, and on paper sounds great, especially with that 10% more per chain. but mechanically, it kills the skill.

The initial shield can not pierce, and will not explode on fork, or chains. it explodes on projectile consumption.
The key to aoe clear is having that proj explode. Chain delays it and it moves the aoe target location. Both of these create a miserable map clearing experience. Which is why everyone is bitching.

Fork is 1000% better. Fork does the opposite. it reliably creates TWO aoe proj explosions. double the pack clearing power.
Additionally, since the shield will explode on walls, npcs, and obstructions,(not frostwall) small arenas can be abused for shotgunning fork against walls. (proj weakness knockback aids well)
alternatively, just swap out fork for slowerproj for single target.

"the princess" added to super cheap, great sst weapons. doryani's, shaper items obviously as well.

if deadeye, you want gathering winds, powerful prec, fast and deadly. then either farshot, or rupture.

You're not the only person :) Ive got a friend playing it and hes a pretty good player. He's actually enjoying it a lot, people who group with him say its not bad as well.

View Profile - Path of Exile - Wyss589

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I started the league as a GC Miner...bleh, not digging the gameplay at all then I rolled a "cookie cutter" Scion KB/Barrage Wander for a fast map clearing build. I'm level 56 now with a Tabula and the game play also feels bad. I know it's premature and need about 20-25 levels to fairly judge, but the mana cost primarily and squishyness doesn't feel good at all. How do people get around mana issues at higher levels? Right now I'm running 2 Vaal Clarity and have a mana potion so it does help quite a bit, but still.

Drat

Golden Knight of the Realm
As somebody that doesn't care about trading and I never go more than 1 or 2 builds into a league, the end game mapping is absurd. I want the harder challenge of a higher map, I have zero interest in playing stock broker. Its their unflinching grasp on their precious economy that makes my duration in a league short.

I don't play D3 much these days, but Ill admit I do like the ability to spawn "maps" pretty much as fast I want.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So I started the league as a GC Miner...bleh, not digging the gameplay at all then I rolled a "cookie cutter" Scion KB/Barrage Wander for a fast map clearing build. I'm level 56 now with a Tabula and the game play also feels bad. I know it's premature and need about 20-25 levels to fairly judge, but the mana cost primarily and squishyness doesn't feel good at all. How do people get around mana issues at higher levels? Right now I'm running 2 Vaal Clarity and have a mana potion so it does help quite a bit, but still.
KB is pretty hard on mana early on. Mana pots and more leech is really the only way. Or luck into a Thief's Torment. They don't cost that much actually, if you want to buy one.

On top of that, I think KB/Barrage suffers from the duality problem that most AoE/Single Targets setups do. You're humming along, clearing packs 1-2 clicks, everything feels great and you've got a good rhythm going. Then some fatty or stragglers survive and you have to switch to Barrage to finish off the pack. Because of the extreme dependence of KB on monster density, you feel this interruption in gameplay even worse. Almost nothing feels as bad flailing on some lone fatty with KB. On top of that, you actually have to aim with Barrage. I'm sure you've had times where you switch Barrage but you clicked wrong and just fired off 2-3 rounds into thin air. More feels bad, and perhaps a death at higher levels.

I'm starting to wonder if I should restrict myself to builds where the clear skill will do up to T15 map bosses too with at a maximum of maybe a gem change or two. This is the main reason I ditched my Deadeye wander two days ago after getting into mapping, playing a Wilde Strike Champion now.

Drat

Golden Knight of the Realm
I wasn't saying D3 is some super fun game, I just like the endless spam of maps, when I want them.

I have played PoE for 3-4 years. I think where I struggle with PoE end game vs D3 end game is with D3 for me the fun was pushing a harder and harder rift. Once I get to 85-90 in PoE, I don't know what my goal is.