Path of Exile

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Tried to pay for a merc lab carry. Nobody was interested even at inflated rates. I decided to try it and grab all the darkshrines, first one was permanent acceleration shrine. Helped. I got the same exact darkshrine on the last two, 2 uses of enchantment deal. That was going to be no help on fight lol. Wound up going up against 3rd phase with only one font down and all 3 gargoyles up. One shot Izaro before I could flask. Not going to argue but nice suprise. I was running around trying to kill the other stuff and was like, what is all this shit on the ground - oh he's dead.

Two uses of enchant deal wound up with the same freaking enchantment. Increased area to ice nova. After first one tried again and the same thing. What are the odds of that? I'm an ice build so maybe look into it to see what the hell it is just to play around with. Never used it, don't know jack about it. I'm frost blades fast clear with molten strike for single target raider.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Serious talk time here, boys: cosmetic MTX.

I downed another $100 on those mystery boxes after having already spent $30. Made out with a bit more MTX that I will actually use than the total box cost, including dupes. Having much less buyer's remorse than I expected, despite what this post might imply. Wasn't able to complete the sinnocence set though, gonna wait for the innocence set to go on sale as that's the set I'm missing most of.

According to steam, I've spent almost 1200 hours on this game and $400 in MTX, which is a pretty good $/hour entertainment value. At this point, I really only play this game and Gwent(dailies). What I'm trying to figure out is that prior to this game, I abhorred MTX. I don't think I've bought MTX for any other game I've played. What does PoE do differently that makes people dole out money?

The other thing that's bothering me is MTX redundancy. Bought the harpy pack as I usually purchase a $60 pack every league. I don't ever see myself using a lot of the armor MTX I have now, feels kinda wasteful.

And just to accentuate where my brain is at, I showed my wife that celestial cat MTX and I'm considering buying it because of how much she liked it. For a game that I play. My son loves the fire lion pet.

Caliane

Constant content updates. base gear is often pretty ugly.

Imagine WoW clownshoes leveling gear, but if instead of Raid gear being coordinated cool looking gear, that was all MTX. WoW would have made even more money on MTX then sub fee.

GGG is adhering to the promise of DLC and mmos. Constant content. Every sub based mmo, that was the justification. constant updates. but the reality? bullshit. tiny patches, then paid expansions. Same with DLC. instead of real updates, and content added to rpgs, we get fucking horse armor. GGG has said fuck that shit. We get quests, we get skills, we get gear, we get bosses, etc. Real content updates every 3 months. for FREE.
Even games like Dota2, LoL, dont do that. even they are just tiny balance updates.

Celestial is pretty nice, yeah. Im not biting atm though. The sub pack this league sucks imho. so, ill way for another kick as sub pack with extra bonus points. then spend the bonus points on celestial cat, etc.

Last edited:

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Serious talk time here, boys: cosmetic MTX.

I downed another $100 on those mystery boxes after having already spent $30. Made out with a bit more MTX that I will actually use than the total box cost, including dupes. Having much less buyer's remorse than I expected, despite what this post might imply. Wasn't able to complete the sinnocence set though, gonna wait for the innocence set to go on sale as that's the set I'm missing most of.

According to steam, I've spent almost 1200 hours on this game and $400 in MTX, which is a pretty good $/hour entertainment value. At this point, I really only play this game and Gwent(dailies). What I'm trying to figure out is that prior to this game, I abhorred MTX. I don't think I've bought MTX for any other game I've played. What does PoE do differently that makes people dole out money?

The other thing that's bothering me is MTX redundancy. Bought the harpy pack as I usually purchase a $60 pack every league. I don't ever see myself using a lot of the armor MTX I have now, feels kinda wasteful.

And just to accentuate where my brain is at, I showed my wife that celestial cat MTX and I'm considering buying it because of how much she liked it. For a game that I play. My son loves the fire lion pet.

If you can afford it and enjoy it then go for it. I've got way less hours, maybe 350 or so total, but I've spent $150-200ish between 3 different leagues. I probably average $100-400 per "free" game that I have enjoyed in the past. That shit is like one night out to dinner or bar though so it's easy to justify to myself =O

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Nobody forces you to buy it, you buy it because it looks cool and there's nothing else to spend your money on. The base items look like trash, but the game is certainly growing into its own art style, with all the shaper inspired graphics, the eldritch influence of elder, Vaal ruins and Oriath. They also do a good job of not making you spend the money directly through their bullshit points, but that's nothing new.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
When I play a league I usually drop $60 for one of their supporter packs. I feel with the amount of time I spend playing a league, it more than justifies the $60. Plus you get the points to biy more shit, which I usually just sink into more stash shit TBH. Im not really concerned how I look though since I play 99% solo anyway, who gives a shit, lol.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Don’t really need to spend money in this game but I do because it’s one of the few that does free to play right. Hopefully other devs look at their model and see it as successful

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
The way this Dev team communicates and has built itself from the ground up should be the framework for all game companies.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I have tons of trapped beasts and haven't set foot in the menagerie thing lul.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I feel like everything they sell is completely overpriced. You have to spend money on the account related upgrades like stash tabs or else the game becomes really painful. And those aren't exactly cheap. Then you have stupidly expensive cosmetics where you can easily end up with $20 sword graphics.
I don't expect to get everything for free, but their pricing policies leave much to be desired. Quite a lot of people seem to fall into the classic f2p trap with PoE and will happily defend it too.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What if all leagues cost $30 and all MTX were 50% less?

I do agree that they have a building problem with their stash MTX. Map tab, currency tab, fragment tab, essence tab, div card tab, premium tabs. That's a lot of optional yet very functional MTX. Some of the older ones should be folded into a starter pack.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
The way this Dev team communicates and has built itself from the ground up should be the framework for all game companies.

Ya even though I stopped this league early cause I think maps drops are way undertuned, this is still my favorite game and game company.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah some of the mtx are ridiculous, like a sword or some chest that costs like $20+ is retarded. I dont understand why these companies insist on this shit costing so much. My logic tells me that if they sold that $20 sword MTX for $1 or even $5, im willing to bet they would sell 10X as much.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Yeah some of the mtx are ridiculous, like a sword or some chest that costs like $20+ is retarded. I dont understand why these companies insist on this shit costing so much. My logic tells me that if they sold that $20 sword MTX for $1 or even $5, im willing to bet they would sell 10X as much.

These companies have economists who prove that cost analysis to be wrong or they'd already be $1 or $5.

And again look at it verse your time played. If the majority of people in this thread spent $300 they'd still be getting cosmetic/quality of life improvements for <$1/hour entertainment and for some pennies.

I only play with currency / map / 2 premium and then regular tabs but I don't hoard even in SSF and it doesn't take away from gaming experience. I think I paid $20 or less for all them on sale at some point.

Caliane

I feel like everything they sell is completely overpriced. You have to spend money on the account related upgrades like stash tabs or else the game becomes really painful. And those aren't exactly cheap. Then you have stupidly expensive cosmetics where you can easily end up with $20 sword graphics.
I don't expect to get everything for free, but their pricing policies leave much to be desired. Quite a lot of people seem to fall into the classic f2p trap with PoE and will happily defend it too.
I do think is a problem. I am pretty sure they make less money then they would if, mtx as a good 50% cheaper.
I'd def be more willing to drop $1 here, 1$ there, vs 60$ here, 120$ there...

Also, I think exclusive gear is a mistake as well. Especially for a game with a growing player base. That new players can not buy kickass MTX from the past, that was only offered for a short time, before they started playing, is leaving money on the table. Exclusives should only be "timed exclusives". The "vault" should get opened once in a while, and old unavailable MTX should be offered.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
These companies have economists who prove that cost analysis to be wrong or they'd already be $1 or $5.

And again look at it verse your time played. If the majority of people in this thread spent $300 they'd still be getting cosmetic/quality of life improvements for <$1/hour entertainment and for some pennies.

I only play with currency / map / 2 premium and then regular tabs but I don't hoard even in SSF and it doesn't take away from gaming experience. I think I paid $20 or less for all them on sale at some point.

Im sure they do, its just what my logic tells me, not saying my logic is right, lol.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider

Except that Chris is on record saying that they simply have to guess, since nobody does MTX like they do and even if they did, nobody is sharing the data. Just like most of digital pricing, stuff is worth what the creator says it's worth and what the audience doesn't find offensive.
I'm fairly sure that from an accounting perspective, it's also way easier to just bill people for 60$+ and then make them spend points. Processing fees for small costs add up. I'm sure there's a fair amount of people who are just looking to dump their points after buying the supporter packs.