Path of Exile

Caliane

are you concerned with the delay or cooldown?

less duration can apply to delay. which itself is already being reduced to 2s in 3.3. and no one cares about delays in flameblast and other high burst moves...

the cooldown can be bypassed with traps/mines.

Vortex should be considered as well. hypothermia will now apply to that as well.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah I am doing that CA ranger build this league. Probably a total mistake but I don't learn.
I would say a skill that's been completely ignored while so many other things got buffed through the roof is surely a mistake. Not sure I see the point of builds that have to swap to ED to do any serious single target damage when they could just be ED/Contagion full time (or some other 3.3 buffed skill). The PoB for it shows ~100k shaper dps from CA and another ~150k from ED, assuming you do your swaps perfectly and have 100% uptime on both skills. And also have not only a +3 6L bow & staff, but also a pair of L4 Empowers.

I mean, do what you think is fun, but I think you'll be disappointed in anything past yellow maps and especially before you have the weapons/gems.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
are you concerned with the delay or cooldown?

less duration can apply to delay. which itself is already being reduced to 2s in 3.3. and no one cares about delays in flameblast and other high burst moves...

the cooldown can be bypassed with traps/mines.

Vortex should be considered as well. hypothermia will now apply to that as well.
The delay. I actually do care about the delay on flameblast. It's a long time to stand still and not do any damage/leech. You don't have to stand still for frost bomb, but that delay can still be clunky.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I wonder if Infernal Blow not being posted yesterday on the L20 preview means they realize that the "buff" is actually shit. Nobody has been able to point out why Infernal Blow was actually changed.

Vorph

Is there a downside to Bladefall traps? I saw a thread bitching about stat sticks not getting nerfed to oblivion and Bladefall being too strong as a result of the easy 'extra phys->ele' mods. But I know fuck-all about traps, plus it's reddit and I take posts there crying about "OP" things with an even larger block of salt than usual.

Caliane

The delay. I actually do care about the delay on flameblast. It's a long time to stand still and not do any damage/leech. You don't have to stand still for frost bomb, but that delay can still be clunky.
well, I was literally talking about using it in conjunction with Siphoning trap, for 40% increased chill effect on siphoning trap, and its 350hp/s life regen.
you would very obviously be doing this in a life regen build. +maybe evade.
you are doing something wrong if you require constant leech to survive.

that said, vortex with damage over time passives probably would mesh with this siphoning trap dot better. Frostbomb would sit as cwdt pen utility still.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is there a downside to Bladefall traps? I saw a thread bitching about stat sticks not getting nerfed to oblivion and Bladefall being too strong as a result of the easy 'extra phys->ele' mods. But I know fuck-all about traps, plus it's reddit and I take posts there crying about "OP" things with an even larger block of salt than usual.
Well until they do nerf those stat stick, any phys spell is going to be very strong regardless. Even shit like EK is somehow good even though mechanically it's mostly a garbage skill. And Bladefall is getting buffed somewhat(more crit). So yeah it'll work fine, it's viable even currently. Not sure if traps are best though but mines are clunky especially on bladefall(targets on the mine location rather than the enemy, so you have to be very close to hit shit).

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Did they ever come up with a reason as to why some of the skill gems released didn't match the patch notes?

Caliane

always happens. GGG is constantly fine tuning.

Last league shield toss had its numbers changed last second, and its exploding on each chain removed, for example.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Bladefall traps seems like a weird combination.
well, I was literally talking about using it in conjunction with Siphoning trap, for 40% increased chill effect on siphoning trap, and its 350hp/s life regen.
you would very obviously be doing this in a life regen build. +maybe evade.
you are doing something wrong if you require constant leech to survive.

that said, vortex with damage over time passives probably would mesh with this siphoning trap dot better. Frostbomb would sit as cwdt pen utility still.
Fair enough.

Your leech comment, do you mean for this build specifically, or in general?

Caliane

in general.

obviously, you should be looking for that 2s or so for full recovery. (350hp/s is obviously not enough alone. you want at least 2k hp/s recovery. for 4k hp/2s. more is better to get that 5-6k life recoveryed to full in 2s.) A combination of life flasks, life regen, etc can be combined. And damage avoidance. vaal haste, immortal call.
but if you need to be constantly doing damage, to not die, somethings wrong.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
welp wanted to go arc totem this league but fuck trying to gear that as a starter char, maybe for 2nd char if I can make enough to build it out. Think I may try a BV build for the first time. Just gotta decide inquisitor or elementalist. hrm

edit: fml watching mathil patch notes vid and he said he's likely going to be suggesting BV elementalist in his starter builds video DAMNIT

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
in general.

obviously, you should be looking for that 2s or so for full recovery. (350hp/s is obviously not enough alone. you want at least 2k hp/s recovery. for 4k hp/2s. more is better to get that 5-6k life recoveryed to full in 2s.) A combination of life flasks, life regen, etc can be combined. And damage avoidance. vaal haste, immortal call.
but if you need to be constantly doing damage, to not die, somethings wrong.
Oh, you're counting life flasks. Nevermind.

Kiroy Kiroy , just play what you find fun. It's a league starter, you aren't going to need that much gear to get started. I'd recommend elementalist for BV for the easy prolif.

Vorph

Bladefall traps seems like a weird combination.
What makes you say that? Bladefall/GC trapper has been around for a while now... seemed like it worked fine, or at least as fine as any pre-3.3 trap build did. Traps always looked clunky as shit to me. My biggest concern is that I feel like the damage is probably trash tier without the stat sticks, trap gloves, and at least a 5L Tinkerskin.

Definitely agree with what you said about leech and lulls in damage dealing. There's nothing wrong with relying more or less entirely on leech for survival, you just have to build for it. And yeah, counting life flask is silly.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What makes you say that? Bladefall/GC trapper has been around for a while now... seemed like it worked fine, or at least as fine as any pre-3.3 trap build did. Traps always looked clunky as shit to me. My biggest concern is that I feel like the damage is probably trash tier without the stat sticks, trap gloves, and at least a 5L Tinkerskin.

Definitely agree with what you said about leech and lulls in damage dealing. There's nothing wrong with relying more or less entirely on leech for survival, you just have to build for it. And yeah, counting life flask is silly.

I meant to not post that bladefall comment. I sometimes hate how the new forums remembers stuff you deleted(in the reply box before submitting).

Anyway, my initial reaction is that an AE skill on a trap build just seems like handicapping your build. GC miners/trappers exist because they're great at bossing, but they suck at clearing. I think you'll find bladefall traps will suck too. But I decided to not post that because idk, I guess I decided I don't know enough about traps to make that judgment concretely.

Vorph

It looks like they use BF in the 6L Tinkerskin for clearing and GC in pseudo-5L Shaper gloves plus a 4L Bear Trap (which is improved in 3.3) for single target.

I'm with you on the trap stuff though; all I've ever used traps for was a small boost to leveling speed or maybe fire trap as a main skill for a few levels until I unlocked what I really wanted to use. The biggest thing I'm still unclear on with traps is the charges / cooldowns changes; even after reading the patch notes a couple times I'm still unsure exactly how those three traps above will work now. Plus there's the new Seismic Trap, which may or may not be useless with its 8 sec cd.

ZiggyD put out a good video for leveling a Saboteur, but it didn't help me much with the base mechanics. If anyone else is interested: