Path of Exile

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Been screwing around with a Cyclone Chieftain build. It's pretty fun, but cyclone can be a little frustrating since sometimes it seems slow to react to move to where I want it to.

I finally got the build-enabling Ngamahu's Flame Axe last night (6S of correct colors for 3c, not bad), and wow what a dps increase. Shit just melts now (at level 61 I think), especially when EE and the chieftain extra fire damage ascendancy proc together. Everything seems ok with it so far, but I'm nowhere near a hardcore type

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm surprised there's a build that chieftan is best for.

Cyclone is not channeled, so if you activate it, it will spin until where you clicked. The only way to combat this is to always hold cursor as close to your character as possible.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ah, right, I forgot about the added cost of Zana mods when running corrupted maps. I think I'll switch over to doing that too, since I've had such bad luck with vaals rolling ele reflect/no leech. My only issue with Beyond is that some of the mobs are pretty tanky (high ele resists?) and it can slow me down. Boss deaths are a bit of a risk too.

At what point do you do the -15 level thing? Like, say, if I'm 88 on my Windripper and I'd really like to hit 91 asap to get my last jewel. Would you be hanging back at T6 for 24.1% xp even that early, or is something like a easy shaped T10 (Haunted Mansion) at 53.9% better? I'm guessing the latter, since I clear all the rooms in Haunted Mansion while running through them at full speed. Unfortunately my atlas isn't setup to drop them exclusively so sustaining it is a problem even in full MF gear.

I generally stick to T10's until 89/90 then swap to T11's at 91 and move up slowly. Some people grind T8/T10's until 100 because their dps isnt enough to one shot packs including rares at higher levels. Generally once you easily one shot a pack + rares you can move up a tier.

Anyone stuck on map sustain can message me also, I have hundreds to give away of all red tiers. Not so much yellow or white but some.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
I'm surprised there's a build that chieftan is best for.

Cyclone is not channeled, so if you activate it, it will spin until where you clicked. The only way to combat this is to always hold cursor as close to your character as possible.

No idea if it's best. The build guide I found has very similar setups but using Slayer and Scion as well. The guide says they all work with minor differences in gear and tree choices.

I'll keep that in mind about the clicking issue. I can never tell if it's user error or my shitty computer lagging a bit..... or both

Next thing I need is a proper color 5 or 6L Bronn's Lithe. Expensive it seems.

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
No idea if it's best. The build guide I found has very similar setups but using Slayer and Scion as well. The guide says they all work with minor differences in gear and tree choices.

I'll keep that in mind about the clicking issue. I can never tell if it's user error or my shitty computer lagging a bit..... or both

Next thing I need is a proper color 5 or 6L Bronn's Lithe. Expensive it seems.

I played EE Cyclone a couple of leagues back and I just couldn't get into it as the movement/gameplay just didn't seem quite right hence not feeling very good to me at least. I dropped it to use a pure MS w/ Ancestral Call which really didn't require much tweaking, and honestly still didn't feel super good because of the slight wind up, but man bosses just melted.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yes and I did Uber Elder today with it as well. the ball lightning part of the build shreds Shaper and Elder (Uber too)
I can't seem to do Shaper with the build. The lack of movement skill and slow ball lightning makes it feel a bit immobile. I'm not exactly experienced with the fight either.

Juvarisx

Florida
I can't seem to do Shaper with the build. The lack of movement skill and slow ball lightning makes it feel a bit immobile. I'm not exactly experienced with the fight either.

The fights are really all about practice, being about to dodge Shaper Slam is the hardest part for this build so I changed the default build in some ways for endgame bosses

1. I got a poet's pen wiith a Culling Strike corruption

2. 6 Linked Inpulsa.

3. Frenzy (1/20) - GMP (20/20)- LMP (20/20)- Faster Attacks (20/20) - Life Gain on Hit (20/20)- Additional Accuracy (20/20). Barrage is for mapping, Frenzy the key to bossing, with this in as your 6 link you dont have to worry about keeping Frenzy up. With arc going anyways you dont have to worry much about Elder portals or squids

3.5 Herald of Thunder will proc curse on hit + assassins mark for shaper add phase or squids anyways dont worry about that

4. Have Flame Dash + 20/20 faster casting. This lets you get out of slams and what not.

5. I sacrifice some damage to run two Surgeons Quicksilver Flask of Adrenalinefor shaper and elder. Being about to get charges from crits and move around super fasthelps A LOT. Other flask I use is Surgeons Stibnite flask of Warding and Two Life flasks

6. The key for me to finally kill Uber Elder was Ball lighting fires an additional projectile enchant. Its like a shredder through that fight. Really it can be used generally speaking if you dont want to spend. I like the enchant generally more then slower proj. It works like GMP/LMP and fires another proj next to the first one. Kills portals and squids fast, also if you are up in Elders business it can hit with both

Last edited:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The fights are really all about practice, being about to dodge Shaper Slam is the hardest part for this build so I changed the default build in some ways for endgame bosses

1. I got a poet's pen wiith a Culling Strike corruption

2. 6 Linked Inpulsa.

3. Frenzy (1/20) - GMP (20/20)- LMP (20/20)- Faster Attacks (20/20) - Life Gain on Hit (20/20)- Additional Accuracy (20/20). Barrage is for mapping, Frenzy the key to bossing, with this in as your 6 link you dont have to worry about keeping Frenzy up. With arc going anyways you dont have to worry much about Elder portals or squids

3.5 Herald of Thunder will proc curse on hit + assassins mark for shaper add phase or squids anyways dont worry about that

4. Have Flame Dash + 20/20 faster casting. This lets you get out of slams and what not.

5. I sacrifice some damage to run two Surgeons Quicksilver Flask of Adrenalinefor shaper and elder. Being about to get charges from crits and move around super fasthelps A LOT. Other flask I use is Surgeons Stibnite flask of Warding and Two Life flasks

6. The key for me to finally kill Uber Elder was Ball lighting fires an additional projectile enchant. Its like a shredder through that fight. Really it can be used generally speaking if you dont want to spend. I like the enchant generally more then slower proj. It works like GMP/LMP and fires another proj next to the first one. Kills portals and squids fast, also if you are up in Elders business it can hit with both

As I recall, I had two main problems. No on-demand-movement skill made dodging things like balls or beams much harder. I would also get vortex adds during his bullet hell phase. If I had a real movement skill, I feel like I could easily zipped out there to pop it before the phase started. Flame Dash is fine for dodging slams, that's about it.

Small aside(this really shouldn't matter towards defeating the encounter or not), but maintaining things like frenzy charges during boss fights is really bad design. The UI does not allow for easy diversion from the fight check the buff duration and stack count. I almost find myself favoring non-crit builds for this very reason.

I don't think shotgunning with ball lightning works like that. There's a hard cap on how many times per time interval that a target can be hit by any ball lightning. So an extra ball improves coverage but likely doesn't do much for single target.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Quicksilver is enough for Shaper in my experience, but balls/beam dodging is pretty easy with just normal movement speed. It gets tougher during uber elder if you're getting slowed by elder while having to dodge, but on normal shaper you can just walk out of it at 20%movespeed or whatever your base movespeed is very easily. Just see balls casting, take a step to the side and they'll all miss, do that for each series, then walk when he's readying beam until he fires and resume casting. There's really no movement skill needed for that. The only sketchy thing without a movement skill is slam, which is why you quicksilver or use a movement skill(lightning warp or flame dash both work fine, there is plenty of time to move, you just need to move far enough). Or do a self cast immortal call if you're feeling the timing enough.

Bullet hell with a vortex spawning is pretty common, you can go outside with a quicksilver to pop it and flamedash back, or you can try to stand on the edge, pop it inside but on one edge then stand on the other. Can be risky though since the hitboxes are hard to judge perfectly. Should only happen once though, during one of the last bullet hells, unless your DPS is horrible.

Alternatively, you can use weapon swaps with a brightbeak and use shield charge or leap slam to move around when you need to, assuming you don't have heralds/auras in your weapon slots(which you don't cause it's a poet pen build? not sure if you DW poet pen or have shit in the offhand though). I had flamedash on my quickswap for when I wanted to cross stuff on my summoner and while it does take some time to get used to it, it works well enough.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Quicksilver is enough for Shaper in my experience, but balls/beam dodging is pretty easy with just normal movement speed. It gets tougher during uber elder if you're getting slowed by elder while having to dodge, but on normal shaper you can just walk out of it at 20%movespeed or whatever your base movespeed is very easily. Just see balls casting, take a step to the side and they'll all miss, do that for each series, then walk when he's readying beam until he fires and resume casting. There's really no movement skill needed for that. The only sketchy thing without a movement skill is slam, which is why you quicksilver or use a movement skill(lightning warp or flame dash both work fine, there is plenty of time to move, you just need to move far enough). Or do a self cast immortal call if you're feeling the timing enough.

Bullet hell with a vortex spawning is pretty common, you can go outside with a quicksilver to pop it and flamedash back, or you can try to stand on the edge, pop it inside but on one edge then stand on the other. Can be risky though since the hitboxes are hard to judge perfectly. Should only happen once though, during one of the last bullet hells, unless your DPS is horrible.

Alternatively, you can use weapon swaps with a brightbeak and use shield charge or leap slam to move around when you need to, assuming you don't have heralds/auras in your weapon slots(which you don't cause it's a poet pen build? not sure if you DW poet pen or have shit in the offhand though). I had flamedash on my quickswap for when I wanted to cross stuff on my summoner and while it does take some time to get used to it, it works well enough.
I guess I'm just bad. Wish practicing in this game wasn't so expensive. Like, I didn't get excited for Uber Elder one bit because I know how frustrating and expensive of an experience it will be to learn the fight. And yet, still not relishing the thought of having to buy a carry if I want that challenge completed.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You say it's free, and I'm sure no one doubts you mean it. I believe the problem is that nobody likes using other people's sets when they are 60+ chaos. idk, just kinda awkward?

Juvarisx

Florida
Okay this is not me, but its the same build as a Scion with only Flame Dash and Quicksilvers. SInce you had a hard time moving I thought I would give you an example. It's truley just practice

Person died a couple times but it looks to be their first kill so its totally understandable

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I have no doubts that it is largely practice. There's also a dps check, it's pretty loose on Shaper, but more punishing on Uber Elder. Also, you can make up for lack of skill by just brute forcing the boss. Easily applicable with Shaper, less so with Uber Elder because power has not crept far enough yet.

A problem I seem to run into a lot is that I'll take a popular build and it performs nothing like the streamer/youtube highlights. As in, the dps is well below what I was expecting. Both my double strike jugg and arc/lw turned out that way. The only build that met my expectations was the molten strike jugg from last league. I made him to melt bosses and that's exactly what he did. I'd rather not make him again because clearing with molten strike is just bleh and I'm bored with the skill. But I killed Uber Atziri with that character, first time, 1 set of portals.

I don't expect arc/ball lightning to be on the same level as molten strike, maybe a third, but I managed my expectations and it still turned out poorly. Double strike jugg, I have no fucking clue. Maybe reliance on Vaal Double Strike is a bad idea.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I made an elehit build last night. It’s not quite clicking for me but I am going to power through and see what I can do with it. Only level 72 so it still needs a few more points before it fully fleshes out.

How is whispering ice this season? I seem to remember it being fun in old leagues.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You say it's free, and I'm sure no one doubts you mean it. I believe the problem is that nobody likes using other people's sets when they are 60+ chaos. idk, just kinda awkward?
Definitely kinda weird to ask other people for a bunch of currency even if they don't care. I sold a bunch of maps to fuel my attempts on uber elder, since I knew I was basically "done" with the league so might as well use stuff up. Some other things too but the maps sold very quickly and for quite a lot, only sold uniques, T14 and T15, had like I don't know only 20 of them or whatever, random ones I picked up doing temple and shit and just sold all of that.

One thing to consider too in terms of difficulty is damage output. That wander poet pen video for example was a lot lower damage than what I was doing, so it was easier for me. Summoner can easily vomit 5-10m single target damage with barely any casting needed, so phases go pretty quickly. After that it's mostly getting into the mindset that you generally shouldn't cast anything more than once in a row, unless Shaper is doing the beam(which is enough to fit 3-4casts). If you're constantly moving, you do potentially lose some damage(well not on summoner/totems but on other builds) but you reduce the risks of getting hit by anything.

At the end of the day though, sorry to say but if you're constantly eating Shaper's ball, you might consider that you're just gay.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user