Path of Exile

Xevy

Log Wizard
The real problem comes in with defense. So basically with Vaal Pact being nerfed back in the day you need life on hit shit. So you need to hit as many times or with as many things (molten strike) as possible with as much life gained on hit as you can muster. It's the reason claws got huge the last two or three seasons. I fucking hate that though. I want a build that just negates the damage coming in to begin with. I was a Sunder Glad with max block way back in Breach league and that shit was awesome. I'm sure if I went dual wield I could do it again, but it was the tits. I played hardcore with that build to like 85 or something (back when that meant something) and on softcore if I ever died past 85+ it was due to some crazy shit like old school volatiles with damage mods.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Played a double strike champion this league. Boss killing was great, clear speed not so much. Was a lot like the blade flurry build I did before. The blade flurry was block and had great defense tho.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What's the go-to clear everything fast and kill bosses melee build right now? I started arc totem and did fairly well with just a 5L, got to 92 and just got bored of the playstyle. Made my usual flickerstrike twink and it clears maps in like 1 minute, but single target is dingus unless I buy some multi ex claws or completely respec. Was thinking of using a Nghamu's with the flicker trickster for more boss dps, but the problem is the balls scale off phys and I've been stacking elemental mostly b/c of the Red Trail/Golden Rule self bleeds.

Flicker was great until the Omnitect. I didn't even fucking KNOW he had a chaos aura but it's literally only his hitbox so only flicker strike people feel it and it will fucking melt you.
Omnitect aura is not chaos, my CI flicker strike occultist was still taking it up the ass from that stupid thing.

Most melee builds solve their single target problems by having a 4L of vaal double strike.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For melee you probably want to go Reave for mapping and Heavy Strike for bossing. Keep a 4L Vaal DS for uneccesary big DPS you probably don't need but it's nice. If you are going Vaal Pact you either go Slayer or Scion with Slayer bonus or you are doing MF map clearer.

You could also do Ground Slam. Saw a Mathil build recently that was doing pretty insane ST with Ground Slam and the clear was obviously really good.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah the Mathil Ground Slam build looked surprisingly good, I didn't expect ground slam to be buffed that much. You do have to stand right next to shit you want to kill if it's hard like bosses and shit, but that's not a huge problem if you build defensively enough, and vaal ground slam looked pretty absurd damage. In the video guide he did he did Uber Elder, and he could stun shaper/elder with vaal ground slam.

Ultimately though any skill pretty much works if you're using a stat stick and ele conversions and all that shit, it's pretty broken atm. Reaver+BF is the common one, Frost Blades works well, Sunder still is good especially with vaal DS for single target, Ground Slam, Earthquake is probably fine. There's also molten strike build, bunch of different ones, these aren't so much about conversion and more about projectile shit, they clear relatively fast and do stupid boss damage. Even Cleave and Lacerate are pretty good even though they don't do stat stick stuff that well.

I expect stat sticks to be nerfed next league though. If only just the mod values. Shit's just not healthy for the game.

Borzak

Dumb question time again. I see some people in the guild list in game have something written beside it. How do you edit that?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Hit the same wall I hit every league.

Got Ngahmahu's Cyclone to lv90 and thats doing great. Arc/Teleport Poet's Pen to 70 but need more defences since it's glass cannon right now.

Upgrades cost an exalted or more and farming the same stuff on repeat to get currency is not satisfying.

What do I do?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Set other goals, get currency as a side effect. I got to 37 challenges and never was "farming" my main intent.

Only had 1 exalt drop too, so I wasn't "lucky".

Borzak

Hit the same wall I hit every league.

Got Ngahmahu's Cyclone to lv90 and thats doing great. Arc/Teleport Poet's Pen to 70 but need more defences since it's glass cannon right now.

Upgrades cost an exalted or more and farming the same stuff on repeat to get currency is not satisfying.

What do I do?

Farm prophecies. A large part of my currency this league came from prophecies. Windripper, Frostferno, Tabula (not worth doing now obviously) prophecy and so on. Just something to think about, break it up a little.

Also went thru all my owned cards and bought singles to complete sets for the possibly valuable ones. Spent 7c for last Ventor's Gamble card and got 4ex Ventor's.

Last edited:

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Uber Elder down in 1 set. Did it on Whissps PP Heriophant Indigon CI build with 1 portal left. Arms were literally shaking with adrenaline. Wondering if I should make the push to 100 on this character. If so I'm going to follow Korrupts way. But first I kind of want to chase Uber Elder down a couple more times.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Read something that 99 and a half to 100 is the same leng as 1-99 or something which is hilarious. I just don't know if I will roll another character and I need something to do until MHW comes out.

Borzak

I guess I'm researching to start a new character, possibly a melee oriented one. I have about 10ex budget. I could upgrade my BV elementalist but I'm not sure why. I've done shaper a few times and not interested in uber elder. Not interested in the throwback deal, I'm sure if you had played those leagues it would be interesting. But I didn't play most of those included so I would have to look up each mechanic for the league and that doesn't sound fun.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Looking up mechanics doesn't sound fun? That's like 99% of PoE.

For what it's worth, almost every mechanic in this flashback is baseline, so you've played most of them. Harbinger and Perandus are the only two that aren't.

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah there's really nothing that you haven't seen before(except for the two mentioned). All it adds is a lot of mobs and a lot chaos. Orbs. Ayyyy

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
The video I linked above is basically windz guide. He does arc/volatile dead too. But his build is built for grinding to 100, not sure you're doing that too.

If you aren't, I like the hierophant versions better. The life version looks good IF you can rely on Zerphis. The place where that really matters, how often is that flask going to be up?

I use the heiro indigon PP with a zerphi and it was an easy as hell Uber elder fight. So far 10 kills with it usually 1 or 2 deaths due to lag spikes on my shitty net, two were deathless. Flask charge and uptime wasn't an issue. Easily the best PP build I have tried--granted I haven't tried the low life version or the facetank ranger that people use on HC.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I guess I'm researching to start a new character, possibly a melee oriented one. I have about 10ex budget. I could upgrade my BV elementalist but I'm not sure why. I've done shaper a few times and not interested in uber elder. Not interested in the throwback deal, I'm sure if you had played those leagues it would be interesting. But I didn't play most of those included so I would have to look up each mechanic for the league and that doesn't sound fun.

None of the leagues older than Beastiary have complicated mechanics. All the really old leagues are implemented in the game already for the most part. The only ones not in the baseline game are Invasion(spawns unique bosses in the zone that have some funky mechanics sometimes, most just explode like white mobs due to power creep), Perandus(golden chests spawn in the map with mobs around them, kill the mobs, loot the chests, sometimes Cadiro also spawns, he's a NPC that trades coins you get from chests for random items including other league items like Headhunter) and Harbinger(blue guy spawns mobs, kill mobs and get loot). It's all very straightforward.

Only starting Beastiary league mechanic had more complicated mechanics like beast capturing and now the temple shit. If you look back just before these, it's Abyss(follow the green shit and kill monsters, sometimes get an additional zone with more shit to kill) and Breach(stand on purple, kill shit, open things, combine fragments to get to special zones to kill bosses) and those are already pretty simple, but a lot of the older leagues are even dumber than that, for example one of the league was Strongboxes, that's it, just strongboxes, other was ghosts. Hell back in the day, Onslaught was an actual league, just every mob has Onslaught, enjoy your new an exciting league mechanics.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I use the heiro indigon PP with a zerphi and it was an easy as hell Uber elder fight. So far 10 kills with it usually 1 or 2 deaths due to lag spikes on my shitty net, two were deathless. Flask charge and uptime wasn't an issue. Easily the best PP build I have tried--granted I haven't tried the low life version or the facetank ranger that people use on HC.
I've only done the fight once. Do you get flask charge during the fight outside of add kills? The add phases alone don't seem like enough unless you've got the fight down to 1.5m.

How do you deal with the possibility of one shots on the life version of the build? It seems there's a non-insignificant chance for you take damage more than your small life total and you don't have enough mana to absorb it due to frenzy constantly sucking it down.

I was also wondering if Inquisitor is better if you're going to play the life-based version(trickster is obviously better if you're just mapping). That 6% base regen is quite good.

Facetank ranger?