Path of Exile

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
only good xp post 72 or so is maps. just join pugs, focus on staying alive and you should get xp pretty fast. I dont even bother trying to dps just make sure I grab anything worthwhile that drops. You'd be surprised how many 6S's people dont notice, I think knowing you you will really shine with that.
Cool. Once I make the switch I'll have to start trying to pug maps. Most of the ones I see in the public window require a fee which makes me a little hesitant, but usually the fee is pretty small.

Troll_sl

shitlord
10.5 notes.

Content/Features
Added a new Strength Support Gem - Melee Splash: Adds an area of effect splash radius to a single target melee attack.
Added a new Strength/Dexterity Support Gem - Multistrike: Causes you to attack quickly three times with a melee attack. New targets are selected for subsequent attacks if available.
Added a new Intelligence Support Gem - Power Charge on Critical: Critical strikes with the supported skill have a chance of granting you a Power Charge.
Added four new Unique items, two of which were designed by our Diamond supporters.
To improve performance, we have reduced the complexity of most visual aura effects.
Friendly targets now have an effect showing that they are under the influence of any aura, rather than displaying all the full aura effects.
The bandit waypoints have been moved away from their camps to prevent trivial boss farming.
The Slums area has been modified so that it's easier to find objectives (and is less circular).
All combinations of dual-wielded weapons on the Shadow class that didn't have their own animations now do.
The burning effect has been visually improved.
Elemental damage visual on-hit effects now only play for the highest damaging element of the hit (tiebreakers: chaos > fire > cold > lightning).
Microtransaction effects now affect the entire length of a staff.
Some monsters (such as Rhoas) have had their sounds redone.
Continued to incrementally improve the art, effects and environments and audio.
Balance
Incinerate: The mana cost progression has been reduced, so higher levels of Incinerate cost less mana to use.
Viper Strike: Intentionally does not work with Melee Splash at the moment.
The range of Arc used by Blackguard Arcmages has been reduced.
On the Cemetery map, there's now more distance between monsters and the spawn point or the door. This makes it a little safer when transitioning into the area.
The Voll's Protector unique item has been changed so that it grants a power charge per target critically struck. This does affect items generated in previous patches.
The Silverbranch unique item has been changed so that it only grants +1 to bow skills. Old ones will not change unless you use a Divine Orb on them.
Critical strikes have been standardised in how they interact with repeating actions. The critical roll is made only once per action, regardless of how many repeats that action does. Exceptions are Tempest Shield (which rolls each time you block), Piety's Ball Lightning (which rolls per target) and Infernal Blow/Explosive Arrow (which roll separately for the explosion).
The Additional Accuracy support gem is now Dexterity/Strength rather than pure Dexterity.
Melee Splash is first given as a quest reward in the "Sharp and Cruel" quest (Normal difficulty, despite the Cruel in the name) to the Templar, Marauder, Duelist, Shadow and Ranger. Witches receive it in the *"Sever the Right Hand" quest (Cruel difficulty).
Power Charge on Critical is first given to Witches and Shadows in the "Sharp and Cruel" quest (Normal difficulty) and to Templars in the "Sever the Right Hand" quest (Normal difficulty).
Multistrike is currently a world drop support gem.
Victario's hidden stashes now drop normal items as well as their quest items.
Bug Fixes
Fixed a bug where some objects such as doors and portals were not clickable.
Fixed a bug where ctrl+clicking a skill book quest reward did not work correctly.
Fixed a bug where skill book quest rewards would act strangely when taken to other difficulties.
Fixed a bug where "Quest Complete" would not be shown if you complete a quest from another difficulty.
Fixed problems related to the rendering of some chat messages.
Fixed bugs related to the display of quest notifications under some conditions.
Fixed a bug with Conduit where some players would not get the shared charges under some conditions.
Fixed a bug where Unique items that grant Conduit did not work correctly.
Passive tree life regeneration nodes now have consistent art.
Fixed a bug where Piety's portals would not disappear when she died.
Fixed a bug where increased flask duration wasn't applied to utility flasks.
Fixed a bug where you would move if you click on the health or mana orbs while on the passive skill screen.
Fixed the world panel not showing correct quest when you click the ! (notification) button for a quest in another difficulty.
Fixed a bug with Arctic Armour, mana regeneration, and reaching exactly 0 mana.

Viper Strike: Intentionally does not work with Melee Splash at the moment.
GODDAMIT

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They added a really cool new unique, Tabula Rasa, it's a simple robe(no lvl req) without any stats, not even ES, but it always has 6links and the sockets are white(can accept any color). It's going to be inferior to basically any real 6L, but I find the tradeoff interesting if you don't have a 6L otherwise, or even a 5L. Very good for leveling too I think.

Hinadurus_sl

shitlord
Add me as Hinadu, noob Ranger. I tried this game 2 years ago at pax and was so turned off at the time I never used their beta install disc they gave out. Playing now, wow they have made truckloads of progress! I wish I would've given it another shot sooner, but glad I'm giving it a try.

Little things that are awesome like my arrows sticking into the enemies and environments, every weapon (that I've seen so far) having a detailed equipped graphic that matches its inventory art, the shadows and lighting in the dungeons I've seen so far is great, and it runs perfectly on my $99 gtx460. I much prefer this art style to d3, however I have a question. I just killed the warden, in his jail, with his chain attack.. D3 butcher flashback. Was this just chance or did one company copy another?

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Add me as Hinadu, noob Ranger. I tried this game 2 years ago at pax and was so turned off at the time I never used their beta install disc they gave out. Playing now, wow they have made truckloads of progress! I wish I would've given it another shot sooner, but glad I'm giving it a try.

Little things that are awesome like my arrows sticking into the enemies and environments, every weapon (that I've seen so far) having a detailed equipped graphic that matches its inventory art, the shadows and lighting in the dungeons I've seen so far is great, and it runs perfectly on my $99 gtx460. I much prefer this art style to d3, however I have a question. I just killed the warden, in his jail, with his chain attack.. D3 butcher flashback. Was this just chance or did one company copy another?
there's definitely a lot of overlap in the games. the economy and the customization of your character's skills and abilities really set them apart and poe is much deeper in that regard.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
there's definitely a lot of overlap in the games. the economy and the customization of your character's skills and abilities really set them apart and poe is much deeper in that regard.
I don't know that I'd say the PoE economy is deeper than D3. It's a huge pain in the ass and a turnoff from the game. Everytime I run a map I love the game, everytime I try to trade my gear for currency or my currency for gear I hate the game.

Ryanz

<Banned>
Those new melee support gems are great...almost game breaking by the way some of them looked. I'm going full retard and making a dual wield dagger witch that is going to use frenzy charges, power charges, and maybe endurance charges and try and make discharge viable. This should be funny.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I don't know that I'd say the PoE economy is deeper than D3. It's a huge pain in the ass and a turnoff from the game. Everytime I run a map I love the game, everytime I try to trade my gear for currency or my currency for gear I hate the game.
I just play solo 99% of the time and I've never traded for an item. I hate to say it, but I actually wish there was an auction house(not real money) that people could put up items for a set cost(chaos, exalted, whatever). I generally play at odd hours, and for brief increments between doing other things, so I don't have the time to coordinate getting online with someone to group, much less to purchase/trade an item. I basically have to 100% equip myself, which can be a little rough at times.(I used a lvl 8 wand all the way to level 40 on my current HC witch)

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just play solo 99% of the time and I've never traded for an item. I hate to say it, but I actually wish there was an auction house(not real money) that people could put up items for a set cost(chaos, exalted, whatever). I generally play at odd hours, and for brief increments between doing other things, so I don't have the time to coordinate getting online with someone to group, much less to purchase/trade an item. I basically have to 100% equip myself, which can be a little rough at times.(I used a lvl 8 wand all the way to level 40 on my current HC witch)
This isn't a perfect solution but try going to the hard core or softcore shop section of the forums and look through the offerings on the first page (second page also during prime) and if you see anything you like just scroll to the top or the bottom of the post see the shop owners in game names (IGN) is usually at then try contacting them right then in game. I play at weird times like you and this has always worked for me since active shops forum threads are usually at the top.

I did notice one big where I was able to whisper several sellers and they didn't respond but when I restarted my client and tried again it turned out that it was telling them I was offline.

Also remember to bid low. Lots of sellers just want to get rid of excess and will sell good low level items for cheap. (bought a nice 4L chest for 10 alterations for example, also for a 11%EK for 2 chaos 1 fusing which I am pretty sure was worth 2-3 GCP if traded in online chat )

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
That's the thing though, I don't want to mess with bidding and haggling for items. In D3 I'd never bid on items. If I wanted something I just wanted to buy it out and be done with it. I don't care if I'm overpaying. My gaming time is limited, I just want to get in and out and get my item and be done with it so I can get back to playing. Thats why an auction house would be ideal for someone like me. I don't want to sit online trying to whisper someone, hoping they respond, coordinate getting in a game together to trade, etc. Just too much hassle. Used to do the same in WoW. If I needed a bunch of some item for crafting or whatever I'd just go to the AH and buy out however much I needed, I don't care what the price is. I'm not going to try to lowball bid stuff and have to wait hours or days.

That being said, the current PoE economy is exactly the opposite of what is useful to me, so I just choose not to participate in it. I've got all sorts of nice gear for build types that I'll probably never play (5-link chests, 5-link weapons, uniques, etc), so I guess I'll just keep stashing them for a rainy day.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Also remember to bid low. Lots of sellers just want to get rid of excess and will sell good low level items for cheap. (bought a nice 4L chest for 10 alterations for example, also for a 11%EK for 2 chaos 1 fusing which I am pretty sure was worth 2-3 GCP if traded in online chat )
So far this hasn't worked for me. I think I've offended everyone I've offered stuff to.

One big problem with the economy is that stash space is so cheap that there's no real cost for having excess merchandise. In the real world any goods you have lose value everyday you store them and cost you money. In Diablo3 failing an auction costs you gold and time in your limited auction space.

There's hundreds of shops in the shop section of the forums and many of them have hundreds of items that no one will ever buy. Plus because PoE is very alt-friendly there's a strong motivation for players to keep large amounts of spare gear that they might need in the future.

Combine that with a pretty innovative currency system and you have the most illiquid economy I've ever seen in a game. Part of me wants to just partner with someone who likes the trading game and have him sell my goods for a fee.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So far this hasn't worked for me. I think I've offended everyone I've offered stuff to.

One big problem with the economy is that stash space is so cheap that there's no real cost for having excess merchandise. In the real world any goods you have lose value everyday you store them and cost you money. In Diablo3 failing an auction costs you gold and time in your limited auction space.

There's hundreds of shops in the shop section of the forums and many of them have hundreds of items that no one will ever buy. Plus because PoE is very alt-friendly there's a strong motivation for players to keep large amounts of spare gear that they might need in the future.

Combine that with a pretty innovative currency system and you have the most illiquid economy I've ever seen in a game.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
The trading systrm is a pain to use and very inconvenient. That's what makes it so interesting. I don't have the time or interest to optimize my purchases/ sales, but that doesn't really bother me either. Its interesting to see people theory craft the economy this game creates, as there is no precedent for how a currency consumable based system will evolve over time that I know of

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The currency system is really the only interesting part about the economy and it's not really the big impediment to commerce.

If this were a real world system you'd have professional currency exchanger (forex.com and what not) that would trivialize the currency problem and make all forms of ingame currency equally liquid.

Combine that with a modern auction house and you basically have the same implementation as other online RPGs, just without gold/plat.

The economy, currently, is driven by the fact that it's very hard for sellers to find buyers and the cost of storing large quantities of goods is very small.