Path of Exile

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Caustic arrow looks enticing as a starter but I've never used the skill. Am I right in that there is no way to scale the dot portion of the skill with crit? If so, it seems like crit caustic arrow would just be a poor man's version of other bow skills. Like just scaling the explosions would be some low damage hybrid of tornado shot, ele hit, and kb.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Caustic arrow looks enticing as a starter but I've never used the skill. Am I right in that there is no way to scale the dot portion of the skill with crit? If so, it seems like crit caustic arrow would just be a poor man's version of other bow skills. Like just scaling the explosions would be some low damage hybrid of tornado shot, ele hit, and kb.
I have done CA for a few different leagues and enjoy the play style. It completely ignores crit.

Forum - Ranger - [3.3][HC] Semi-MF Caustic Arrow Raider + ED Swap | 6k+ Health | All Content | In-depth - Path of Exile this is a pretty current build and will probably be rebuilt for the new patch
Forum - Ranger - [3.3] Caustic Arrow Solo Map MFer (20/300+) - Path of Exile this was the OG build that was around for quite a while but the guy started dropping off during 3.2 and officially isn't back as of Aug 2.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

cyclone itself, and knockback on melee hit? (easily avail on flasks) and maybe fending.

Acc nodes are another huge buff to Dancing dervish, if anyone wants to try it this league.
Its problems were, 2h so no shield for aegis lyc, and 2h sword while holding it, while unarmed while its active. Smite works with swords and unarmed. So you'll be able to link smite, with melee supports, which will all work with DD.

of reflection or of war glove enchants for more fun.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I have done CA for a few different leagues and enjoy the play style. It completely ignores crit.

Forum - Ranger - [3.3][HC] Semi-MF Caustic Arrow Raider + ED Swap | 6k+ Health | All Content | In-depth - Path of Exile this is a pretty current build and will probably be rebuilt for the new patch
Forum - Ranger - [3.3] Caustic Arrow Solo Map MFer (20/300+) - Path of Exile this was the OG build that was around for quite a while but the guy started dropping off during 3.2 and officially isn't back as of Aug 2.
Some of those gameplay videos...oof. Maybe this isn't the skill for me. The more I think about caustic arrow, the skill seems at odds with itself. It has a portion of damage that scales off weapon damage and portion that scales off levels. Assuming you're going poison, is the best idea just to scale dot damage so that it gets both? Otherwise, I'm not how to put both "together".

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Some of those gameplay videos...oof. Maybe this isn't the skill for me. The more I think about caustic arrow, the skill seems at odds with itself. It has a portion of damage that scales off weapon damage and portion that scales off levels. Assuming you're going poison, is the best idea just to scale dot damage so that it gets both? Otherwise, I'm not how to put both "together".
With the rework adding in that explosion damage and some of those new supports I am not entirely sure.

Once you scaled it up you could just create clouds all around you and nothing would survive to get to you. You would just create a swath of death in front of you. The one thing it really failed at was bossing, you would just run around dragging them through a cloud unless you swapped to a different skill for single target which I find clunky.

I will definitely give it a shot myself and following a cart in Delve might really do well for the skill.

• 1Like

Caliane

We don't fully know numbers, and new passives.

new Caustic is going to be a bit like iceshot/firetrap. The Direct aoe is now going to shotgun. The ground degen won't. At the same time, the ground degen will scale with dot, as well will the poisons applied on hit. So, DOT scaling will be good. Bow passives are getting damage, and damage over time scaling. there are already shadow nodes that are phsy, chaos, and damage over time scaling.
so I think new CA, you're going to want to focus on poison application. ground degen a bonus, to primary poison damage. Both will still be scaling damage over time, swift affliction, void manip, etc.

Those 3.3 builds are going to be largely out of date. Empower wont mean much, if you are scaling poison DOT, not the flat scaling degen.
Wither RAT or mirage archer.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I really like that FoH div card idea. I'll throw some money in for it.

As for the nerfs...nothing on stat sticks or elemental hit conversion shenanigans yet? We also need 2h buffs already!

We might get something in patch notes since manifesto is skills only. I searched for "conversion, combat, focus" with 0 results which should mean elemental hit is safe.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
We don't fully know numbers, and new passives.

new Caustic is going to be a bit like iceshot/firetrap. The Direct aoe is now going to shotgun. The ground degen won't. At the same time, the ground degen will scale with dot, as well will the poisons applied on hit. So, DOT scaling will be good. Bow passives are getting damage, and damage over time scaling. there are already shadow nodes that are phsy, chaos, and damage over time scaling.
so I think new CA, you're going to want to focus on poison application. ground degen a bonus, to primary poison damage. Both will still be scaling damage over time, swift affliction, void manip, etc.

Those 3.3 builds are going to be largely out of date. Empower wont mean much, if you are scaling poison DOT, not the flat scaling degen.
Wither RAT or mirage archer.
So if the ground degen is a bonus(I think I agree with this, btw. I just spent an hour trying to scale the cloud and came up with meh numbers.), what's the primary attraction of the skill itself? Pierce + ground targeting for consistent coverage through packs? Ground target + AE + close range for consistent shotgunning? Chaos conversion? What's the point of chaos conversion in a poison build?

I keep going back to tornado shot though I'm thinking boss damage will be better with caustic arrow, even with the tornado shot helm enchant.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So if the ground degen is a bonus(I think I agree with this, btw. I just spent an hour trying to scale the cloud and came up with meh numbers.), what's the primary attraction of the skill itself? Pierce + ground targeting for consistent coverage through packs? Ground target + AE + close range for consistent shotgunning? Chaos conversion? What's the point of chaos conversion in a poison build?

I keep going back to tornado shot though I'm thinking boss damage will be better with caustic arrow, even with the tornado shot helm enchant.
Nothing really resists chaos, it penetrates shields, constant damage in the area, and it actually scales quite well from what I remember but all the tool tips and stuff have a super hard time portraying it.

The pierce and gmp make it super easy to cover your entire screen with passive death.

Caliane

reflect as well. chaos, and dot's wont reflect.

TS is always a strong contender. If you compare every bow skill to TS every time.. all you will play is TS over and over.

And to note, old CA. the ground degen was the primary aspect. all focus was on that. NEW CA, we don't really know, untill we see passives, and the skillgem final.
(also both new heralds.)
Wither+herald of agony+volley/FA might be ideal.

Ziggy's linked CA level 17.
60% of phsy converted to chaos.
deals 903.4 base chaos damage per second.
deals 71.5% of base damage.
71% effectiveness of added damage.
+2 to radius

Ground/inpact targeted AOE. So gmp/volley, etc will shotgun.

old level 17 CA.
GAIN 46% of phys as chaos(up to 49% at 20)
deals 437 chaos damage per second. (up to 765 at 20.
+3 to radius

So, whats different?
well, a large buff to the level base chaos damage per second ground aoe degen. We don't know the rate at which is scales at 20 and 21-24. But, its clearly already much higher, then before.
The direct damage per shot was massively nerfed.
Level 20 is probably 80% damage effectiveness, and base damage. But of course, it can now shotgun with gmp/volley, and other +proj.

Losing the GAIN chaos damage, is a huge nerf as well, for conversion. The conversion is good for reflect, no resist/armor.
Seems like another direct dps loss to me.
Gains +radius slightly less. harder to overlap gmp.

Dot scaling is still prime. multi application of poisons per shot probably more ideal then scaling raw hit damage.
Although deadeye still an option. Tailwind/munitions/chain.
I am not sure the impact of fork,pierce/chain. It SOUNDS like iceshot. so, fork/chain should be very very strong.
Circular aoe. Volley+richochet+endless munitions should be ROFL vs packs.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
Patch notes need to show up already zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Literally within 10 seconds of this post, the notes are up.

Shimmeron now deals 200 Lightning damage per second per Power charge (down from 400). Using a Divine Orb on an existing copy of this item will update that item to new these values. Shimmeron will also deal that damage to you if your skills have dealt a critical strike recently, rather than just you. That means you will take the damage if any skill (including a trap, totem, or mine) deals a critical strike.

Combat Focus now causes Elemental Hit to deal 50% less damage of the prevented element, including damage that gets converted from the prevented element to a new element. This affects all existing versions of the jewel.

Last edited:

Caliane

• Added a new Intelligence/Strength Skill Gem - Summon Holy Relic: Summon a Holy Relic that stays near you. When you hit an enemy with an attack, the Holy Relic triggers a nova spell, with a very short cooldown, that deals physical damage to enemies and grants life regeneration to allies. This life regeneration is more effective to your minions.

• added a new Strength/Intelligence Skill Gem - Consecrated Path: Slam the ground with your weapon at the targeted location. If an enemy is near where you target, you'll teleport to it from a short distance away, slam, and create an area of consecrated ground. Can't be supported by Multistrike, and requires a Sword, Axe, Mace, Staff or Unarmed

• Added a new tooltip which, when hovering over a support gem, shows which currently-equipped skills can and cannot be supported by it. This includes skills built into items and skills whose functionality has been changed by another support (such as a spell supported by the Trap Support gem).

• Fleeing Oriath citizens now say things that will make you feel even worse for accidentally killing them!

• he auto-targeting done by single-target melee attacks such as Heavy Strike or Molten Strike (ie. any attack that requires "namelocking") now targets enemies within a wider area, based on the total range of your attack. The width of this targeting area grows by 1 unit per 3 units of melee range. This should make it much easier to target enemies with these skills.

• The following melee skills now gain additional melee weapon range every 7 levels, up to +2 at level 20 (and +3 at level 21): Dual Strike, Elemental Hit, Frenzy, Glacial Hammer, Heavy Strike, Molten Strike, Puncture, Riposte, Static Strike, Viper Strike, Wild Strike, Vigilant Strike, Ancestral Protector, Dominating Blow.

• Static Strike
    • Now when you hit an enemy with Static Strike, you will gain a buff which causes you to frequently hit nearby enemies with beams, dealing attack damage. The beams deal more damage while you are moving than while you are stationary. The buff can stack up to three times, increasing the frequency with which the beams strike.
    • Deals 100% of base damage at gem level 1, up to 146% at gem level 20.
    • Beams deal 60% less damage while stationary, and 40% less while moving. This penalty drops slightly as the gem levels.
    • Beams can hit up to 4 targets at gem level 1, and up to 6 at gem level 20.
    • The base buff duration is 4 seconds, and each stack increases the beam's striking frequency (which is every 0.4 seconds) by 10%.
  • Orb of Storms
    • Can now be cast by mines, traps, totems, and can be triggered.
Passive changes too numerous to bullet point previously unmentioned notes. Alot of good/important stuff there though.

• Pathfinder
    Master Herbalist has been replaced by a new notable -- Nature's Reprisal: 30% increased Chaos Damage, Chaos Skills have 50% increased Area of Effect, and on Killing a Poisoned Enemy, nearby Enemies are Poisoned. The passive leading to this notable grants 15% increased Chaos Damage and 5% increased effect of Flasks on you.
    Added a new notable which requires Nature's Reprisal -- Master Toxicist: Gain 10% of Physical Damage as Extra Chaos Damage, 10% of Physical Damage Converted to Chaos Damage, 10% more Chaos Damage with Attack Skills, you lose Virulence (from Herald of Agony) 50% slower, and Poisons you inflict during any Flask Effect have 40% chance to deal 100% more damage. The passive leading to this notable grants 15% increased Chaos Damage and 5% increased effect of Flasks on you.
I thought those minors might give the chaos resist lost in pathfinder.

• Combat Focus now causes Elemental Hit to deal 50% less damage of the prevented element, including damage that gets converted from the prevented element to a new element. This affects all existing versions of the jewel.

• Zana's missions have been updated. Now when you encounter her, she will offer a selection of different maps and mission types for you to choose from. The maps she offers are always the same tier of the map you are currently in or one higher. This selection can include Shaped maps. The maximum Tier of maps she can now offer as part of a mission is Tier 16.

Last edited:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So, everyone go buy Shimmerons! Pretty much a dead item.

• Repeatedly weapon-swapping is now limited to once every 250ms.

They killed the helicopter build!!! :(