Path of Exile

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
GGG got my shit fixed. Sent me a link to an AMD patch for AMD systems. Patch was dated yesterday but it appears to be working, at least on this one system. I guess it's a new patch because I had checked all the patches about a week ago.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Bit late to the party here but I've just started playing this. I've read up on quite a bit and was following a witch fire build - I started to worry mid act 4 that it was too "glass cannon" and by act 6 i'm just getting owned pretty much by everything. Is this common? Everything was pretty fine till the rooftop boss then it went to total shit.

The loots a fucking nightmare for someone new to the game as well - oh and it's pretty clear i'm gonna need a fuckton of storage for orbs etc - how much does it all cost? I only want to play casual - don't mind paying for some storage though etc. This game seems pretty good fun though and I enjoy grinding and stuff - if i can ever stop dying to get to level 100 or so. And how does it all work once you finish the Delve? Will there just be a new "Delve" in 6 months and everyone starts over again? If so, what happens to your old chars?

Feel a bit stupid asking this about a 5 year old game with nearly 700 pages but I've not got that much time to spend reading about it.

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
Bit late to the party here but I've just started playing this. I've read up on quite a bit and was following a witch fire build - I started to worry mid act 4 that it was too "glass cannon" and by act 6 i'm just getting owned pretty much by everything. Is this common? Everything was pretty fine till the rooftop boss then it went to total shit.

The loots a fucking nightmare for someone new to the game as well - oh and it's pretty clear i'm gonna need a fuckton of storage for orbs etc - how much does it all cost? I only want to play casual - don't mind paying for some storage though etc. This game seems pretty good fun though and I enjoy grinding and stuff - if i can ever stop dying to get to level 100 or so. And how does it all work once you finish the Delve? Will there just be a new "Delve" in 6 months and everyone starts over again? If so, what happens to your old chars?

Feel a bit stupid asking this about a 5 year old game with nearly 700 pages but I've not got that much time to spend reading about it.

Yeah, after act 5, resists become an issue and having a nice life pool is nice. There's a decent chance your gear isn't great. Having some nice leveling gear is a huge QoL thing. Getting used to having oh shit potions are nice as well. If you can join a guild, there may be access to decent leveling gear, we have an FoH one if you aren't already in it.

For loots, I recommend getting a nice loot filter. Search out Neversink loot filter, it's very popular. For organizing orbs/currency, buy a currency tab, best thing ever.

Right now Delve is the current league that runs for so many weeks. Soon after completion will be a new league with a league specific mechanic. Your characters will get either moved to hardcore/softcore that persist all the time.

The game is huge, I've been playing for years, since open beta and I've still never taken a character to 100 or completed quite a few of the bosses. If you have any other questions, let us know.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Yeah, after act 5, resists become an issue and having a nice life pool is nice. There's a decent chance your gear isn't great. Having some nice leveling gear is a huge QoL thing. Getting used to having oh shit potions are nice as well. If you can join a guild, there may be access to decent leveling gear, we have an FoH one if you aren't already in it.

For loots, I recommend getting a nice loot filter. Search out Neversink loot filter, it's very popular. For organizing orbs/currency, buy a currency tab, best thing ever.

Right now Delve is the current league that runs for so many weeks. Soon after completion will be a new league with a league specific mechanic. Your characters will get either moved to hardcore/softcore that persist all the time.

The game is huge, I've been playing for years, since open beta and I've still never taken a character to 100 or completed quite a few of the bosses. If you have any other questions, let us know.

Thanks, I so went into this thinking from EQ/Diablo/Torchlight.. White blue gold etc but it's all turned on its head in this game - quite nice. I don't know how guilds work - I'm in the UK and playing on the London server. There's just so much to wrap your head around as a new player to this - that's good though, in a way.

Edit: What are oh shit potions?

Caliane

yeah, there is STANDARD, and Leagues.
Leagues are every 3-4months, and have a NEW mechanic. These new mechanics sometimes get added to the base game. This current league mechanic is Delve.

at the end of the League, your hideout, characters and stash will get moved to Standard. (highest leveled masters/and most occupied hideout is kept.) Stash tabs are put in "remove only" but will stack forever.
Then, a new League starts. with fresh everything. everyone starts new. new inventories, characters, etc.
Standard is forever. no one plays it.

An "oh shit" potion would be a healing flask, with an "instant life recovery" mod. Notably, "Panicked". Normal healing is not instant. flasks, life leech, regen etc. life gained on hit is, as well as the noted instant life flasks.

yes, life and defenses are much more important here in PoE then other arpgs. A typical goal for alife build is over 200% increased life on the passive tree, as well as 100-110flat life on each piece of gear. act1-4 life is good enough, prioritize it. Act 5-10 focus on maxing out resists. Keeping in mind, there are two resist penalties after fighting Kitava. -30 resists after part 1, -60 resists(total) after part 2.

def get a loot filter. they are free. Neversink or "onefilter"
Currency tabs $7.50 are highly recommended these days. As well as a quad $15 tab or two. maps $15, cards $5 arent bad either.
No they are not particularly cheap, yes, they do go on sale, occasionally.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
items for your build that you rarely find on your own for pennies

Div card system could use a look and maybe rework as a league mechanic. Imo should be a way (esp for SSF purposes) to turn xp off (or something) and get increased drop rates on div cards, with many more existing (like 1 for each unique) to help with SSF.

I'd love to play in an environment that isn't influenced by rmt and presents more challenge, that allows only trading with actual pals (this could of course be gamed by rmters - prob a clever way of dealing with it).

Grim Dawn was really close to doing this but the ability to use trainers (3rd party progs) f'd it up. Slight derail but I wish there was a server side char only Grim Dawn "league" they'd do. Self found with "hey bro we got your shit, it dropped right after you logged" sprinkled in would be perfect.

Caliane

I gave up on my quad BV. It was just too powerful. Instead dropped herald of ice, and am running tri herald, with blasphemy warlords.
FA+fortify+conc path.

Conc path is a top tier movement skill, as long as there are targets. Instant movement, regardess of move/attackspeed. The attack windup does require attack speed, but, is pretty fast itself. Bonus of MASSIVE aoe, and consecrated ground.

Caliane

its exactly like that.
Its like, man this sex is great. but its been 10hours, and I could go for a pizza about now.

Sometimes you have to stop having sex, and drink some water, and eat a pizza ya, know.
And, you could call someone to order a pizza, but that takes time, and energy. Having a magical aura that just orders a pizza for you, when you are hungry is just so much more useful.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I gave up on my quad BV. It was just too powerful. Instead dropped herald of ice, and am running tri herald, with blasphemy warlords.
FA+fortify+conc path.

Conc path is a top tier movement skill, as long as there are targets. Instant movement, regardess of move/attackspeed. The attack windup does require attack speed, but, is pretty fast itself. Bonus of MASSIVE aoe, and consecrated ground.
Doesn't the target requirement on consecrated path work against HoI? You leap into a pack and then chain shatter all the targets you would have used for movement.

Just theory crafting here, I haven't used the skill. The target requirement kinda kills it for me since that mean you can't use it between packs.

Caliane

what do you mean, can't use it between packs? you use it to teleport to the next pack. It operates almost exactly like flickerstrike, without multistrike or charges.
if you mean, when nothing is around at all. yes. thats its issue. honestly, I was hotswapping leapslam and it. could even shield charge. but I found conc path so much more fun.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Well, what's the range on that teleport then? Anywhere you can click? The videos I've seen, people were still doing a whole lotta walking.

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
From when I used consecrated path when levelling, if you can click the enemy, you can teleport to it. It was a blast to level with it that's for sure!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
How does your friend deal with the sustain problem inherent to all chaos dot builds? I started with CA and that's my main reason for moving onto my next build.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Patch is up. I wish they had added something to increase cart visibility. Even without any MTX with spells and attacks at times it can be hard to distinguish the cart. Especially in those rooms where the white foam looking stuff comes out of the floor.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
How does your friend deal with the sustain problem inherent to all chaos dot builds? I started with CA and that's my main reason for moving onto my next build.

I just made the mistake of trying CA on a ranger, regretted it once I hit the 60s even with warlord's mark on hit + leech nodes.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Did they change the way CA works? Why would you being trying to use it to leech? I'm assuming you sustain by moving around and using a life flask/regen like you do for any other build that doesn't work well with leech or lgoh (totems, traps, mines, ED, summoner, etc.).