Path of Exile

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Any recommendations for newish builds that people really liked this league? I tried out a reverse knockback CWDT jugg that uses the crawler to kill, but I didn't like how inconsistent it was between packs. Just looking for new stuff to try. MS jugg, inpulsa PP elementalist, and indigon PP hierophant are my current stable of builds that I like and can do most if not all content.

I'm looking for something to play too, the official forums are so full of posts about 2 billion shaper DPS for 30c builds I just don't trust them. I would like something easyish to play as I got my ass handed to me on many occasions this time around. Preferably something tanky - I don't mind not having the best DPS I just hate dying in this game.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Any recommendations for newish builds that people really liked this league? I tried out a reverse knockback CWDT jugg that uses the crawler to kill, but I didn't like how inconsistent it was between packs. Just looking for new stuff to try. MS jugg, inpulsa PP elementalist, and indigon PP hierophant are my current stable of builds that I like and can do most if not all content.
I tired the two new Herald skills.

The one that summons holy minions didn't seem so good, I ran into trouble with it around about Act 8-9.

The one that summons a poison scorpion is insane, I'm just annihilating everything before the scorpion even gets to attack, when it does it wipes everything out. It should go deep into maps.

I'm playing a Gladiator with max block, dual weild claws for leech, cyclone linked with poison and Herald of Agony.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've always hated PoE's minions but this league changed my mind thanks to Summon Phantasm on Kill (+Soulwrest staff), Herald of Agony, and Dancing Duo. Phantasms got annoying after a while because minions that die and require a 2-step process to resummon aren't really ideal for bossing, but for mapping and easy mine depths (thanks to Phase Run) the build was excellent.

I used this dude's build as my inspiration for my last build of the league: poe.ninja He got to L100 and deeper into the mine than any other HoAg build (and all but one Dancing Duo build).

Dancing Duo seemed odd at first since the swords aren't super-buffed like in a dedicated DD build, but the swords clear far better than the agony crawler because the crawler excels at doing ungodly amounts of damage to a single target while the swords are much more aggressive than other minions and just murder everything in sight. Uber Elder was very easy even at 86, you just run around for 3 minutes or so dodging shit and casting ball lightning enough to keep virulence stacks maxed. L27 HoAg kills the bosses easily and the swords mop up everything else.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've always hated PoE's minions but this league changed my mind thanks to Summon Phantasm on Kill (+Soulwrest staff), Herald of Agony, and Dancing Duo. Phantasms got annoying after a while because minions that die and require a 2-step process to resummon aren't really ideal for bossing, but for mapping and easy mine depths (thanks to Phase Run) the build was excellent.

I used this dude's build as my inspiration for my last build of the league: poe.ninja He got to L100 and deeper into the mine than any other HoAg build (and all but one Dancing Duo build).

Dancing Duo seemed odd at first since the swords aren't super-buffed like in a dedicated DD build, but the swords clear far better than the agony crawler because the crawler excels at doing ungodly amounts of damage to a single target while the swords are much more aggressive than other minions and just murder everything in sight. Uber Elder was very easy even at 86, you just run around for 3 minutes or so dodging shit and casting ball lightning enough to keep virulence stacks maxed. L27 HoAg kills the bosses easily and the swords mop up everything else.

When someone links poe.ninja instead of a forum thread you can tell they have +leveled up in Path of Exile, thats awesome. Ive had people in my guild who play 100x faster than me and always clearspeed animals say that minions builds were actually fun. Might have to actually try it one league.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
How is Soulwrest a two-step process? I thought most Soulwrest builds utilized CWDT-Desecrate and Bubonic Trails.

Vorph

I've seen people use Blight-CWC-_____ Offering-Desecrate or Desecrate-Spell Cascade and ______ Offering (not linked), never CWDT. Desecrate has to be L20 so you can summon the best spectres (which are key to the build because of carnage & host chieftain buffs that gives frenzy/power charges) and a L20 CWDT seems fairly pointless.

I just used unlinked L20 Desecrate for corpses and Spirit Offering in a +3 unset ring to pop them. Bubonic Trails were fine for keeping a constant supply of phantasms while clearing a map or delve path, but Spirit Offering was best for bosses and actually clearing the delve nodes. Uber Elder was a total shitshow though. If you can do it deathless it's probably fine but it was a squishy build and if you die then trying to resummon the army from scratch while the fight is already in progress turned to disaster every time I tried. So I just switched over to HoAg+DD which has no problems at all and if you do die recovering the fight is still simple.

Soulwrest was a lot better for dark delving though, simple because of how strong Phase Run is this league.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I actually started out as a Soulwrest build before Soulwrest was understood. I was usual spectre build but I went with some staff block nodes and stuff. I think I got up to like 50/50 block with Rumi's up with my Soulwrest. If you're Necromancer it's not hard to keep up phantasms as they spawn from every desecrated corpse you use offerings on and your +duration keeps them up. And to keep your "minion skill recently" shit going you basically spam desecrate offering. I'd basically always have 20 (maybe it was 19 because of some weird reason) Phantasms running around just annihilating anything my spectres or zombies didn't kill instantly. It was pretty awesome. It was literally the first week of Delve too, so people didn't use Soulwrest and I was retarded so I had one 5 linked and tried to 6 link another for my spectres not realizing I should just 6so it and plunk shit in a la Ngahamu's flame.

It's interesting that Phantasms had been out for a while, but because of how they worked no one knew the best gems for them yet. Because they're basically a bonus 6th link item, no one had BUILT around them. They were just getting what they were getting from the main skill. IIRC the only thing people said was faster proj, minion damage, pierce, and GMP. It's a spell, but physical so people weren't sure about vicious projectiles.

But overall, yeah. They're great. I don't know about the new versions of the build, but just added on with the usual Spectres/zombies and you've got amazing clear speed and a lot of meat to protect you.

Chris

Potato del Grande
When someone links poe.ninja instead of a forum thread you can tell they have +leveled up in Path of Exile, thats awesome. Ive had people in my guild who play 100x faster than me and always clearspeed animals say that minions builds were actually fun. Might have to actually try it one league.
That's beautiful, the forum threads are just full of filler shit so you have to dig deep to actually find the items and gems.

Xevy

Log Wizard

(I'm not retarded so I'm thinking that's probably BEFORE it opened to the public, but even so, maybe it's real!)

Vorph

Yeah, unless it's the very beginning of a league I always check poe.ninja even if I'm copying a forum build just to see how the people having success with it have modified the original concept. Lucked out this time because I wanted to see which was doing better in delve, DD or HoAg, and it turned out that one dude who'd more or less gotten the furthest used a combination of the two. Originally I thought I'd be able to use a lot of my Soulwrest gear but in the end I ended up replacing every item including all my jewels and my +3 minion gems/Minion Damage support helm.

Next league I'm going to try the Shav's LL version that uses Dancing Duo, spectres, and animate guardian. Hopefully the next league continues the trend of making 30% quality a possibility, because it's a hell of a lot easier to make a 30Q sword than it is to corrupt one with Resolute Technique.

IIRC the only thing people said was faster proj, minion damage, pierce, and GMP. It's a spell, but physical so people weren't sure about vicious projectiles.
Don't need Pierce, their projectiles have it innate. Standard setup is Summon Phantasm (L21/0% for 21 total phantasms + quality is irrelevant in Soulwrest), Minion Damage, Faster Projectiles, GMP, Controlled Destruction, and Added Fire (assuming you take Elemental Equilibrium, use a Hatred+Generosity aura, and hit with lightning to trigger the pen).

Last edited:

Vorph

Yeah, one major downside to the build is a lack of hotkey slots so I ended up having to put my Ball Lightning CoH in a link with CWDT. I found that much better than doing just straight CWDT-Proj Weakness.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I really hope they fix the migration issues they have. I am so tired of having to do so much setup at a beginning of a league, so much stuff to close out a league organizing in standard.

Also, they REALLY need to find a way to upgrade all maps of the same into other maps. Hell, even 0% quality white maps just a click upgrade.

So much interface clunkiness. That's really the only turn off in this game for me. REally, it. Thats all. Just can't deal with this clunky shit. I mean, I do it every league, but it gets tiring.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
I really hope they fix the migration issues they have. I am so tired of having to do so much setup at a beginning of a league, so much stuff to close out a league organizing in standard.

Also, they REALLY need to find a way to upgrade all maps of the same into other maps. Hell, even 0% quality white maps just a click upgrade.

So much interface clunkiness. That's really the only turn off in this game for me. REally, it. Thats all. Just can't deal with this clunky shit. I mean, I do it every league, but it gets tiring.

Never done a migration before as this is the first league for me, should I empty my inventory of crap and consolidate all the shit in it? No clue what happens, I have all the different types of storage tabs you can buy now and a couple of quad tabs and 6 more normal tabs that I can sell from, though I just them for Delve shit mostly as that takes alot of room. Even with all that my inventory is still full of crap. Someone on the forums said wait until the new league and buy more storage and your old tabs become available in standard? I might practise in standard for the end boss but I think that's it, I doubt i'll have much interest in playing there full time. Not sure how to approach it.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Never done a migration before as this is the first league for me, should I empty my inventory of crap and consolidate all the shit in it? No clue what happens, I have all the different types of storage tabs you can buy now and a couple of quad tabs and 6 more normal tabs that I can sell from, though I just them for Delve shit mostly as that takes alot of room. Even with all that my inventory is still full of crap. Someone on the forums said wait until the new league and buy more storage and your old tabs become available in standard? I might practise in standard for the end boss but I think that's it, I doubt i'll have much interest in playing there full time. Not sure how to approach it.

After league end, your tabs get transferred to standard as Remove Only. I have like 30 tabs in standard that are remove only at this point, with map, card, essence and fragment tabs I've been able to consolidate a lot.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I have like 250 remove only tabs in standard. If you don't play standard you can just ignore the whole stuff, although if you change your mind in the future, it'd take a while to sort that shit out.

It is kinda annoying to do early league stuff but they made it a bit better with the shift right click or whatever it was to move tabs all the way to the left, instead of having to manually move everything back in order. Last league even though I didn't play it took me less time to organize my tabs, just click them in reverse order, like empty tabs for garbage > divination > essences > map tab > quad tabs > currency tabs and it was organized, or something like that.