Path of Exile

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm just using it for straight damage and burn times. Hang on i'll pull the vid of and timestamp it. At 4:44 he starts hitting shaper, by 4:46 shaper takes no more damage because he's already phased.

Edit: Deathwing Deathwing you play on a big monitor/high resolution, ya? I just got my new setup going and decided to hop in. It looks awesome but seems hugely zoomed in, is there some way I can change that?
I meant the MS videos that you find lacking. I've seen mathil's video. Upon further thought, that's not a fair comparison to make even ignoring player skill. How much you want to bet that window of time you're referring to he got a crit ruthless multistrike proc?

I've played PoE on 2560x1080 since I started, so I don't have a non-UW experience compare it too. Are you sure you didn't accidentally zoom in? It's bound to the mouse wheel by default.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Forum - Announcements - Skill Rework - Ice Nova and Vortex - Path of Exile

Looks interesting. Frostbolt + Ice Nova in one poet's pen and LW in the other for clear, switch out LW to GC for bosses. 4-link Vortex outside of pens.

Yes, the answer is Poet's Pen again. Do I care that it dominates spell caster builds...not really. It's not a competitive game, I'm not sure I care about balance. These are good steps towards solving self cast, but if they ever really want to fix the problem, Poet's Pen needs to be removed at the least.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
The only thing that really stands out is that you seem extremely paranoid of dieing. I don't think even James runs with 4 life flasks. Dying Sun, Rumi's Concoction, and a Basalt Flask will all be great additions.

You have some minor improvements like:
  • 4 empty gem slots.
    • On your boots, that likely means pick up a Bubonic Trails. I have 6% 2-slot rotting in my stash if you want it.
    • On your shield, that depends on your build. I like a shaper shield that reduces mana reservation on socketed gems. That means you can stick Anger, HoA, and HoP in the shield slot. It is a bit of a trade off as you'll get less life and armor compared to Lioneye's Remorse. But if you pick up a shield with great implicits like all res, it makes gearing other slots much easier.
  • I like fortity on melee hit corruption for weapons because it means you can drop the fortify link on your movement skill. I also have one of these sitting in my stash if you want it.
  • Your rings could use some more life, especially the right one.
  • Your abyssal jewels could be better. Get a searching eye that's just utility. +life, onslaught on kill, and blind on hit(really important!).
  • You don't pick up *any* of the endurance charge passives. I would strongly reconsider this, especially as a juggernaut.
  • MS helm enchant. Got TWO of those if you want one.
  • Qual your gems. Either use the vendor recipe and relevel them, which isn't recommended unless you're going to putting many more hours into the character. Or just go buy them with high qual and levels. Have fun getting people to respond. Once you get them to 20/20, vaal the ones that count.
  • Ice Golem is pretty useless on a non-crit jugg. Especially one that isn't attached to CWDT, he's just going to be dead when it matters most. I'd suggest dropping it and getting 1 or 2 CWDT setups. Immortal Call(get your resists up so that when it eats your endurance charges, your resists don't drop precipitously or at all), Molten Shell, Tempest Shield, Enfeeble, Temporal Chains(outstanding in delves while you're standing around in darkness waiting for walls to explode or picking up fossils) and Blood Rage are all good CWDT candidates. Lightning Golem or Flame Golem if you want to squeeze out a bit more dps, but I think they are overrated these days. Also, if you don't need to, don't stick Blood Rage or Molten Shell in a CWDT setup. They are instant cast and you can easily get yourself used to just refreshing them every few seconds.
  • Link Combustion to Ancestral Protector.
  • I haven't felt I have needed more than 2 mana on hit for my build, which is very similar to yours. Viridian jewels, or just non-abyss jewels in generally, aren't great for this build unless you can get ones with a ton of attack speed and life on them.
  • You can likely squeeze a few passives out of better pathing on your tree.

Thanks for all the advice man! I really focused on my gems and it has already made a ton of difference. The life flasks was basically because the build I was using doesn't have any specific flasks beyond the Wise Oak and it really didn't feel like any of the others were going to help my DPS a ton.

Thanks for the offer of gear but I'm trying to maximize my efficiency in using my own currency and decision making to progress. It is slow going but helps me understand more about the game that way :).

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for all the advice man! I really focused on my gems and it has already made a ton of difference. The life flasks was basically because the build I was using doesn't have any specific flasks beyond the Wise Oak and it really didn't feel like any of the others were going to help my DPS a ton.

Thanks for the offer of gear but I'm trying to maximize my efficiency in using my own currency and decision making to progress. It is slow going but helps me understand more about the game that way :).
Dying Sun is a huge dps boost to this build. Also, flasks aren't just for dps. Don't underestimate the defensive utility of stibnite, basalt, and granite.

I agree with your intention, but don't be afraid to ask for the gear later. I've tried making some meme builds and already the economy is starting to break down. You might find some of your rarer items hard to find. Or...they could become ultra cheap. It really depends on supply and popularity.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yeah i'm not zoomed in. I guess it might just be because i'm not used to this big monitor yet, seems like I lost a bunch of vision range tho =/.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What was your old monitor's resolution? I assume you still have it. Hook them both up and run the game in the same location, post screenshots.

Zoomed out, I can easily click outside of the max range for movement skills like flame dash and leap slam. Both horizontally and vertically, although the margin for vertical isn't much.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
All 16:9 panels should be rendering the exact same image, whether they're 1080p, 1440p, or 2160p. It's switching to 21:9 (2560x1080, 3440x1440, etc.) that gives you a massive advantage.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ah ok, he kept just saying 'huge' which could have also meant he went from a smaller 1080p monitor to something like a 30"+ 1440p or 4K that still has the same aspect ratio.

Only reason I can think of a 21:9 looking wrong would be if the in-game resolution isn't set to the native resolution of the monitor.

Yeah i'm not zoomed in. I guess it might just be because i'm not used to this big monitor yet, seems like I lost a bunch of vision range tho =/.

This is what Oriath should look like on a 21:9 screen:

screenshot-0002.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
Yes, there are ways you could tweak your configuration. For example, you're not getting consistent frenzy charges during the fight. Just wanted to make sure you didn't quote the DPS number ;)

No shit, but that's what I run around with on maps/delves. I didn't say "Shaper DPS". Which is still probably about 1.5-2million dps with flasks up. And even then you'll still get frenzy charges from adds in the later phases of Elder and Uber Elder.

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
Can never actually quit...just burnout caught up with me since I went hard in bestiary and incursion. Go to actually play other games for once, which is nice!