Path of Exile

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Vorph Vorph unless you intend on doing lots of boss killing with your miner, I would stay with traps. Mines are just clunkier but higher damage.

If anyone would like the character name "IllegalMiners", let me know, I don't plan on using it.

Mines auto target spells like GC which don't auto target inherently which is something traps do not do. The reason Arc is fine in traps is because Arc itself auto targets.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't really have a plan anymore. The patch notes killed literally everything I had in mind for the start of this league to make money.

Unless I have vastly better luck with drops than ever before, I will likely need to at least kill Shaper with the starter build. My impression of seeing other people use arc is that I have zero interest in it for single target and GC is a must.

Are mines really that much more clunky than traps? I would think that having the totem detonate them constantly would cure most of it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Mines auto target spells like GC which don't auto target inherently which is something traps do not do. The reason Arc is fine in traps is because Arc itself auto targets.
Did not know that. But more of a reason not to do arc mines.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I don't really have a plan anymore. The patch notes killed literally everything I had in mind for the start of this league to make money.

Unless I have vastly better luck with drops than ever before, I will likely need to at least kill Shaper with the starter build. My impression of seeing other people use arc is that I have zero interest in it for single target and GC is a must.

Arc traps can one-shot shaper phases. And if your build isn't up to snuff yet, just use fire traps instead.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
My first Shaper kill was with Arc Traps (RIP Shimmeron). Im either gonna run that back or Arc totems. Arc is just a sweet ass spell.

Off topic, what happened to the guy from the D3 thread that was going to school all of us this league?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So I should go Arc traps instead of Arc totems like I was planning?
I've tried both, admittedly not to the same level(much more investment in traps) but I found traps much better. Both start out with the huge problem(to me) of you click a button and nothing immediately happens. You have to wait for your traps to arm or your totems to place. Depending on your playstyle, that could be a big feelsbadman.

However, traps get a ton of help mitigating this feeling. While totems a decent amount, it's not the same.

On top of that, you can't get the feeling of placing 20+ totems while the boss rambles like you can with traps.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Going Arc totems as I saw some interesting theorycrafting with brands that will be easy to respec to if they end up being good.

Arc totems/mines/traps are all pretty good regardless, just pick your poison imo.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I've tried both, admittedly not to the same level(much more investment in traps) but I found traps much better. Both start out with the huge problem(to me) of you click a button and nothing immediately happens. You have to wait for your traps to arm or your totems to place. Depending on your playstyle, that could be a big feelsbadman.

However, traps get a ton of help mitigating this feeling. While totems a decent amount, it's not the same.

On top of that, you can't get the feeling of placing 20+ totems while the boss rambles like you can with traps.

I've never played either for real (traps or totems), but in general I just want to progress and be powerful. I'm less concerned with clicking a button and things dying instantly. I can wait a second before they die. Is mines a league starter type of build?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Ailment infoz!

edit: Sapped sealed the deal for going lightning for me this league!

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I've never played either for real (traps or totems), but in general I just want to progress and be powerful. I'm less concerned with clicking a button and things dying instantly. I can wait a second before they die. Is mines a league starter type of build?

Sure, if you're ok with the playstyle of laying mines at your feet and pressing another button to detonate them.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>

Ailment infoz!

edit: Sapped sealed the deal for going lightning for me this league!
Sapped > Scorched >>>>>> Brittle. In isolation, of course, will have to know how their respective unique fare.

Scorched would be as good as Sapped if elemental pen wasn't so bountiful already. And unless the wording is weird, I'm somewhat certain brittle just means "20% increased critical strike chance" on an item, which is meh. If that somehow turns into a 20% more critical strike chance because it's calculated as the damage is applied to the mob...jesus, cold CoC and Cospri's just got even better.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sapped > Scorched >>>>>> Brittle. In isolation, of course, will have to know how their respective unique fare.

Scorched would be as good as Sapped if elemental pen wasn't so bountiful already. And unless the wording is weird, I'm somewhat certain brittle just means "20% increased critical strike chance" on an item, which is meh. If that somehow turns into a 20% more critical strike chance because it's calculated as the damage is applied to the mob...jesus, cold CoC and Cospri's just got even better.

The theory is that the brittles is additive like ass marks 5%

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You are right, I completely read it wrong! We'll have to see how it scales with the damage done vs mob's health, but that's a pretty strong addition to cold CoC.

Dual Cospri's(Ice Nova and Frost Bolt?) and Cyclone - CoC - Glacial Cascade is looking pretty nuts.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Since it's a debuff it should I guess. Can't be a % of your base crit, has to be a flat chance to crit or not on debuffs. The main concern really is that it's kinda easy to hit the crit cap already I though? That might save you some skill points or whatever but not sure it's that useful. There's also the question of how it's applied, it says high end uniques, if that's the only way, it's probably not gonna be worth it. If it can pop as a veiled mod on other shit maybe but still.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I did Arc Totems Heiro back when Arc was buffed in 3.3 . It was pretty good, but at a certain point vs bosses even if you're doing 300k damage per each of your 5 totems as I was, your totems can still get fucking zapped and die instantly to big boss mechanics. For clear though they're ridiculous. You'll never even see a mob until the boss if you do it right.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Since it's a debuff it should I guess. Can't be a % of your base crit, has to be a flat chance to crit or not on debuffs. The main concern really is that it's kinda easy to hit the crit cap already I though? That might save you some skill points or whatever but not sure it's that useful. There's also the question of how it's applied, it says high end uniques, if that's the only way, it's probably not gonna be worth it. If it can pop as a veiled mod on other shit maybe but still.

It opens up crit options for builds/skills that had trouble reaching the crit cap before. Think maces, axes, 5% base crit spells, etc.