Path of Exile

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The guild will be active again soon, once the new league starts. Only officers can invite and I don't think any have been on recently.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I really hate the week before new league starts cause I start jonesing to play hard. Even worse cause I have to go to work right after leagues open on Fridays.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't understand this stuff well enough.

If a build I am looking at (Forum - Templar - [3.4 Video Guide] Dominating Blow "Call to Arms" League Starter Build - Path of Exile) has Leap Slam, but I want to use Consecrated Path, all I need to do is use the different skill gem for the build and everything else should essentially stay the same? Both are red movement and attack gems, so for the most part they will just work interchangeably, right? And if I'm looking at PoB correctly, CP would actually double the dps of LS, although I assume the majority of my damage would come from other stuff.

Or am I missing something synergistic with the build because I don't know wtf I'm looking at?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't understand this stuff well enough.

If a build I am looking at (Forum - Templar - [3.4 Video Guide] Dominating Blow "Call to Arms" League Starter Build - Path of Exile) has Leap Slam, but I want to use Consecrated Path, all I need to do is use the different skill gem for the build and everything else should essentially stay the same? Both are red movement and attack gems, so for the most part they will just work interchangeably, right? And if I'm looking at PoB correctly, CP would actually double the dps of LS, although I assume the majority of my damage would come from other stuff.

Or am I missing something synergistic with the build because I don't know wtf I'm looking at?
Sometimes the build uses a specific secondary skill for some reason, but movement skills are generally interchangeable, as long as they can be used with the same weapons(for example can't switch leap slam to whirling blades if not using a dagger/fist/sword weapon). So yeah you can definitely switch it if you want.

Every build guide is just a recommendation, people post what they had that worked nicely and will generally keep updating them as they find more stuff. You can just tweak whatever you want in the build and make it your own.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Really stupid build idea: Scourge arrow CWC Arc with The Tempest. Would the lightning damage mod on the bow even apply to Arc?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Really stupid build idea: Scourge arrow CWC Arc with The Tempest. Would the lightning damage mod on the bow even apply to Arc?
Mods on weapons only apply to attacks, unless specified otherwise(by stating it's Global for example), although some interactions aren't as clear(for example implicit on sceptres work globally on all types of damage, while not being worded specifically that way). Wiki has a more specific rule on how it works, if a mod is applied to a base stats of the weapon(for example increase physical damage % on standard weapons, or increased lightning on this when it does lightning damage instead of physical, or increased attack speed%/critical % and such, it will be local(as in applies to the weapon only, so to attacks using the weapon only), while if it's a different stat, it'll apply globally, especially if it's a conditional stat(when X gives Y% damage or whatever).

Edit: Guess I was wrong.

Last edited:

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Probably gonna try a molten strike plan still I think. The nerf doesn't sound too bad, and maybe it'll turn enough people off the build that the gear won't be too insanely expensive.

I'm not playing nearly as much as the regulars here and went MS twice in the last year, both times it did fine without perfect setups (no great helm enchant for one). So I'm sure for getting your feet wet in a first full league it will work out for you. In Delve I did MS with Gladiator, a block build, and it still did decent DPS (not super awesome though). A good trade-off for being nearly unkillable even if you afk during a boss.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Leap Slam is there for movement, gap crossing, and applying Fortify. The damage is so small that it's completely irrelevant, even if doubled. You can always try Cons Path but it seems like a poor substitute for what Leap Slam is doing for the build.

• 1Like

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Mods on weapons only apply to attacks, unless specified otherwise(by stating it's Global for example), although some interactions aren't as clear(for example implicit on sceptres work globally on all types of damage, while not being worded specifically that way). Wiki has a more specific rule on how it works, if a mod is applied to a base stats of the weapon(for example increase physical damage % on standard weapons, or increased lightning on this when it does lightning damage instead of physical, or increased attack speed%/critical % and such, it will be local(as in applies to the weapon only, so to attacks using the weapon only), while if it's a different stat, it'll apply globally, especially if it's a conditional stat(when X gives Y% damage or whatever).

This is actually pretty interesting because I just tried it and it works in PoB.

Caliane

Conc Path is FANTASTIC for mobility/curse on hit/fortify in most situations. its faster, and has a larger aoe then leap slam. And even drops the aoe consecrated ground for hp regen.

However... it does have 2 major flaws, that need to be considered. 1. it does nothing if no targets are around. normal map clear, this is fine. big empty maps/lab it is not.
2. you can teleport to locations you can not teleport out of. again, LAB im looking at you. you can teleport to the beacons in a few locations, but can't get out, without a target to teleport BACK to.

so it is pretty good for general mobility use, but you WILL 100% want leap slam on weapon swap, when you require gap jumping, running through cleared out delves, incursions, underground river, etc.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Caliane

This is actually pretty interesting because I just tried it and it works in PoB.
The "100% increased lightning damage" is global. % inc element damage on weapons is global, since ... i don't know.. not innate? who knows.
"% inc physical" on weapons local. since weapons deal physical innate.
""% inc element/chaos" on weapons is global, since either of those needs to be added to deal that kind of damage.
"Adds flat element/chaos" on weapons is local, and only applies to that weapon on attacks. it will specific spells if it adds it to spells.

The Tempest

So in this case, you ARE getting 100% inc lightning damage to the lightning spells.
And tempest is a solid 1.77-1.95 a/s bow.

Tempest/coc arc is a solid combo..

not sure base, if you are going deadeye, do note, "rupture" needs physical to apply bleeding, for crit, crit multi, and life on hit vs bleeding.
and scourge arrow as well... phys conversion, to chaos. it.. doesnt do poison innately.. so.. just pure lightning blossoms? huh. lol. I don't see any actual penalty for totally ignoring the phys or chaos...

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
The "100% increased lightning damage" is global. % inc element damage on weapons is global, since ... i don't know.. not innate? who knows.
"% inc physical" on weapons local. since weapons deal physical innate.
""% inc element/chaos" on weapons is global, since either of those needs to be added to deal that kind of damage.
"Adds flat element/chaos" on weapons is local, and only applies to that weapon on attacks. it will specific spells if it adds it to spells.

The Tempest

So in this case, you ARE getting 100% inc lightning damage to the lightning spells.
And tempest is a solid 1.77-1.95 a/s bow.

This would be fairly solid. not sure base, if you are going deadeye, do note, "rupture" needs physical to apply bleeding, for crit, crit multi, and life on hit vs bleeding.

Hyrri's Ire got buffed and adds a huge amount of damage to bow attacks so I figured you could do a Trickster life/es hybrid. High EHP for hardcore and with all the evasion + life and evasion + ES nodes PoB shows 90% chance to avoid attacks. Typical hybrid problems but I figure if you rarely get hit Soul Strike would be good enough to maintain ES. Only thing is I've never done a Scourge Arrow build so I'm not sure how well the skills line up together. You have to release Scourge Arrow in between Arc casts which probably makes it not worth it. Like I said, probably a stupid build but it's been a long time since I've done a bow build and the old bow skills just seem really weak in comparison to other stuff, so I was trying something else.

Caliane

ES bow is def a thing. yes, the evade/dodge, and mirror arrow, will allow ES to recharge.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
Which builds use 2 handers? I started last night with a duelist, going against the common maurader advice. Is it a D2 situation where 2 hand is basically shit compared to shield builds?

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We'll have to see how it shakes out during play, several 2hers were buffed and dual wielding was nerfed. I bet we see at least a couple of non-Voidforge, non-Starforge 2h builds this league that are popular.

Caliane

Traditionally yes.
As we where discussing there was a giant NERF targeting a Dual wield situation that was massively OP.

DW has an innate bonus. This bonus is pretty great by itself.
Dual wielding

Attack speed in this game is king. There is only ONE skill where one hard hit, is more valuable then many fast hits.(flickerstrike)

This was then compounded with, "stat sticks". off hand weapons that only gave "global stats", then using SKILLS That attacked with main hand only. (by default, DW swaps main hand, offhand back and forth, if an attack does not specifiy MH only.)
so main hand skills got the best of both worlds.

For shields, you have solid defensive bonuses. or Lycosidae A fairly, OP shield, with the mod "your hits can't be Evaded". Hits can't be evaded is an incredibly mod, that easily overpowers the DW bonus, and 2handers. Normally your hits have a 5% miss cap, even assuming you invest in accuracy. And then CRITS, double check hits. roll to hit, roll for crit, then roll accuracy again to make sure your crit hits. So, even at 95% hit rate, your crits will not register 100% of the time. "hits can't be evaded", means they will. And you can ignore all investment in accuracy.

2h rares are pure garbage. The only 2h weapons that are viable, are ones that give specific build enabling mechanics. Oro's Sacrifice ,Ngamahu's Flame as examples.

obviously bows are exempt from this.