Path of Exile

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
CoC in general is unchanged. Frost Nova slight damage nerf, Frostbol(which doesn't do most of your damage anyway) a slight buff. Go for it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
There are already int-stacking Winter Orb - CWC - Whispering Ice builds, so I guess. HoWA still seems better.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Well yeah but the chest takes 600 strength so iron will wouldn't be a bad addition i'd imagine. You'd end up with quite a bit less int than the huge int stacking CI versions but probably more damage between the chest buff and iron will.

A 20/20 iron will and 600str would be 168% spell damage, and you'd be giving up lets say 1000int (just for example) so 100% spell damage and whatever you get from the least valuable support people use in whispering ice which would be the one replaced by iron will.

Would end up losing tons of ES though, might have to go hybrid and I have no idea how tanky whispering ice characters are and if this would make it not viable.

I'm sticking with ED for my starter but might give this a try for my 2nd char assuming the chest isn't like 20ex and super rare.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Just do Doon Cuebiyari + Shaper's Touch on a Hierophant and use whatever spell you want. That way STR gives you damage, mana, and ES so it's not a wasted stat.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I am quite the newbie and always completely lost, when searching for builds. I want to play a summoner, but I have no idea whats good and newbie friendly. Anyone has a good link for viable summoner builds?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I am quite the newbie and always completely lost, when searching for builds. I want to play a summoner, but I have no idea whats good and newbie friendly. Anyone has a good link for viable summoner builds?
Well there's a lot of summoner builds, that play fairly differently, from very passive "run around and wait for shit to die" to "casts a few spells to buff/debuff your pets" and finally stuff that is constantly casting, summons or others.

The main summoner variations would be, and the list is non exhaustive:
  • Spectres, fairly strong, pretty passive
  • Skeletons, worse clear speed but better boss killing speed than spectres, comes with a vaal skill(shits out 40skeletons all over the screen), pretty active since you have to resummon a lot, can do Skeleton Mage variation but requires more ressources and isn't worth it
  • Golems, very expensive to build so not recommended for a first build, fairly passive but very strong
  • Summon Raging Spirits(SRS), easy to play but a bit weaker than some other builds, pretty active since you constantly have to summon
  • Animate Weapons, clunky as shit, not very strong, not worth doing currently(Chains of Command version might be a bit less shit, but still meh imo, the clunkiness is really bad)
  • Herald of Agony, plays very different than traditional summoner since you need to be procing a lot of poisons to maintain it, can be played as different classes as a result(Ranger for example), very strong
  • Dominating Blow+Herald of Purity, melee summoner, not that strong due to the melee nature and low boss proc rate but a fun change of pace
  • Soulwrest Phantasms, fairly potent, has one of the better clearspeed for summoners, but as the name implies, it requires Soulwrest(a unique staff) to even work, so you need to lvl as something else and then invest in the staff to get started
  • Zombies, hipster-ish build, require fairly specific gear to make work decently and even then still not really worth, AI is fucking retarded

Note that many summoner builds will actually use several summons. It's common for most builds to run either zombies or spectres on top of their main builds(zombies for meat shielding, spectres for either additional clear speed or for buffs), or both, or even skeletons too(for single target damage). Also summoners have a ton of variations in terms of how they'll build each, from the basic life, hybrid or ES, to even ascendancies(mostly Necromancer obviously, but Occultist can work and for the Herald based ones, a lot of other classes work).

Best is to just start googling summoner x guide and just see what you find, especially youtube guides to see how they play, and figure out what you want.

I'd say the basic starter summoner would be a life spectre necro variation. Either with skeletons, or just raw spectres(that's still probably involve zombies and animate guardian for meatshield/buffs). That's your vanilla summoner experience and clears pretty much all content without gear or requiring indepth knowledge of mechanics. Herald of Agony build could be good too if you care more about power since those builds are very strong currently, but they might feel the least "summoner-ish" of the builds, with many just playing with a Bow and having just the one Agony pet.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
A 20/20 iron will and 600str would be 168% spell damage, and you'd be giving up lets say 1000int (just for example) so 100% spell damage and whatever you get from the least valuable support people use in whispering ice which would be the one replaced by iron will.

It's been a while since I looked at Whispering Ice, but doesn't the spell itself also gain flat damage per int? Not sure if you accounted for that.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Pyros Pyros

What makes golems so strong and expensive? Really good guide, i've wanted to try a summoner and think i might later in the league after reading that as it's quite complex.

Caliane

Well there's a lot of summoner builds, that play fairly differently, from very passive "run around and wait for shit to die" to "casts a few spells to buff/debuff your pets" and finally stuff that is constantly casting, summons or others.

The main summoner variations would be, and the list is non exhaustive:
  • Spectres, fairly strong, pretty passive
  • Skeletons, worse clear speed but better boss killing speed than spectres, comes with a vaal skill(shits out 40skeletons all over the screen), pretty active since you have to resummon a lot, can do Skeleton Mage variation but requires more ressources and isn't worth it
  • Golems, very expensive to build so not recommended for a first build, fairly passive but very strong
  • Summon Raging Spirits(SRS), easy to play but a bit weaker than some other builds, pretty active since you constantly have to summon
  • Animate Weapons, clunky as shit, not very strong, not worth doing currently(Chains of Command version might be a bit less shit, but still meh imo, the clunkiness is really bad)
  • Herald of Agony, plays very different than traditional summoner since you need to be procing a lot of poisons to maintain it, can be played as different classes as a result(Ranger for example), very strong
  • Dominating Blow+Herald of Purity, melee summoner, not that strong due to the melee nature and low boss proc rate but a fun change of pace
  • Soulwrest Phantasms, fairly potent, has one of the better clearspeed for summoners, but as the name implies, it requires Soulwrest(a unique staff) to even work, so you need to lvl as something else and then invest in the staff to get started
  • Zombies, hipster-ish build, require fairly specific gear to make work decently and even then still not really worth, AI is fucking retarded

Note that many summoner builds will actually use several summons. It's common for most builds to run either zombies or spectres on top of their main builds(zombies for meat shielding, spectres for either additional clear speed or for buffs), or both, or even skeletons too(for single target damage). Also summoners have a ton of variations in terms of how they'll build each, from the basic life, hybrid or ES, to even ascendancies(mostly Necromancer obviously, but Occultist can work and for the Herald based ones, a lot of other classes work).

Best is to just start googling summoner x guide and just see what you find, especially youtube guides to see how they play, and figure out what you want.

I'd say the basic starter summoner would be a life spectre necro variation. Either with skeletons, or just raw spectres(that's still probably involve zombies and animate guardian for meatshield/buffs). That's your vanilla summoner experience and clears pretty much all content without gear or requiring indepth knowledge of mechanics. Herald of Agony build could be good too if you care more about power since those builds are very strong currently, but they might feel the least "summoner-ish" of the builds, with many just playing with a Bow and having just the one Agony pet.
Dont forget blink/mirror arrow!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Pyros Pyros

What makes golems so strong and expensive? Really good guide, i've wanted to try a summoner and think i might later in the league after reading that as it's quite complex.
Well what makes them strong varies a bunch, but mostly, there's a lot of them and they use abilities that you can virtually make no cooldowns so they have good map clearing, they're very very tanky and targetable so they act as meat shields themselves, you get a large amount of buffs from their passives(notably a shit ton of regen from stone golem) and overall their damage output is just very high too. The main issue is you basically need a full suite of unique jewels.

There's 3 primordial jewels that work on golems, one that makes their AI more agressive(it's generally the most expensive one, you only need one though), one that makes them tankier and reduces their cooldown and one that increases their damage and their effects. Then you combine all 3 into a special primordial jewel to get more golems. Which means you actually need 2 of the expensive ones, and the others while not expensive individually get expensive since you need a ton of them(like the full set is 10+ unique jewel). I might be remembering wrong on the exact jewel stats but you can look up primordial jewels on the wiki. But basically the build kinda only starts functioning once you have the agressive one and a few of the others, and enough jewel slots to put them in and then you still need some other actual gear, including the golem belt or necklace whichever it was.

So yeah it adds up to being pretty shitty to start with, especially since golems actually start kinda garbage. They only get crazy because of all the things adding up.

With Spiritual Aid you might be able to start on a golemancer right away though, basically using minion damage to increase your own damage and using some temporary cast speed or whatever to do a standard caster build while you get some currency to buy all your shit and switch to golem. But you can't like, level and play as golem right away unless you start later in the league once the prices settle down more.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Torrent is up for patch. LInk from the PoE release yesterday on their website. Will start patching non torrent

https://web.poecdn.com/public/SynthesisPreload-5699.zip.torrent

The patch size for the update will be around 3.5GB on the standalone client and 8.5GB on Steam. We've also made a torrent available for this update. Please keep in mind that this method, while available earlier, makes it a larger update as it includes all the existing client content. When patching begins for Path of Exile: Synthesis you'll also have a few remaining files that you'll need to update to.

You can find the torrent here. The download is approximately 14GB. This torrent only includes the GGPK file, so you'll need to copy it into your actual install folder once the patching server is up, no earlier than three hours before the Path of Exile: Synthesis launches. Please note that you can't use this GGPK file with the Steam client.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Jesus so much to catch up on after being gone a week, leaning towards Soulrend / ED but NFC as always.

First time im gonna miss a league launch in years too =(