Path of Exile

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Power Charges from a support gem is going to be super OP.
Yeah most likely but it can come with balancing downsides(spell does 30% less damage) and it gives a chance for a power charge, not guaranteed so while you'll have a high crit % with passives and full power charges, it can still drop it then rebuilding will take a while. A new way to get power charges was needed anyway, I don't know about a support though, I sure wish I could get frenzy charges and endurance charges via supports(in fact it'd be quite a decent melee buff to have an endurance charge support on melee attacks only).

The melee gems seem nice enough. The triple hit one is a bit weird though, is it gonna pick 3 targets everytime or just if the main dies? Cause that'd suck if that's the case, especially since it's obviously going to come with a large nerf to damage so it's not super OP. Might be the equivalent of LMP for melees I guess, but LMP offers more AoE potential since it can be linked to AoEs to begin with. Then again the description doesn't state single target like first one, so it might work on aoes? So like Cleave+3hit similar to Freezing Pulse+LMP. Anyway will be interesting to see how they work. The splash one, if it applies effects it's gonna be insanely fun, it'll make a lot of completely worthless skills(or very niche) into pretty interesting stuff, such as Puncture/Viper Strike, Glacial Hammer and Infernal Blow.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
So how does everyone feel about the currency system and its ability to avoid inflation?

I would also be curious to hear how much everyone has spent on PoE so far if you don't mind telling. $40 for me.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
So how does everyone feel about the currency system and its ability to avoid inflation?

I would also be curious to hear how much everyone has spent on PoE so far if you don't mind telling. $40 for me.
Too much rng, in the droprate and the application of currency. Tired of going through whole stacks of orbs not getting the results I need.

$40 also.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
I like the currency system. Inflation is pretty well controlled like this when orbs are constantly exiting the economy when they are being used in attempt to roll better gear. An example of a failed economy is D3 where a piece of good gear costs like what, billions of gold now? Pointless.

I understand when RNG could be a bitch but hey, ARPGs like this is all about RNG right? That's what makes it fun and gives it longevity. You can be dirt poor but If you are lucky, you can get rich just by Orb of Chancing a white Glorious plate and hitting the unique jackpot.

I think I spent more than $60 on it. I spent the same amount buying D3 and I easily consider POE to be much superior than that game. GGG deserved every single penny of it and I plan to spend more when more worthwhile micro-transactions come out

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I like the currency system. Inflation is pretty well controlled like this when orbs are constantly exiting the economy when they are being used in attempt to roll better gear. An example of a failed economy is D3 where a piece of good gear costs like what, billions of gold now? Pointless.

I understand when RNG could be a bitch but hey, ARPGs like this is all about RNG right? That's what makes it fun and gives it longevity. You can be dirt poor but If you are lucky, you can get rich just by Orb of Chancing a white Glorious plate and hitting the unique jackpot.

I think I spent more than $60 on it. I spent the same amount buying D3 and I easily consider POE to be much superior than that game. GGG deserved every single penny of it and I plan to spend more when more worthwhile micro-transactions come out
Too much rng, in the droprate and the application of currency. Tired of going through whole stacks of orbs not getting the results I need.

$40 also.
I agree. On some levels it annoys me but on others it's kind of nice that I can buy a low level quality gem for gems I have access to. Also I can actually use my currency to create better gear as I level. Sure that's a generally stupid thing to do if min/maxing but if just having fun it's a good way to take currency out of the system.

Charles_sl

shitlord
The game still has issues with the economy. There is the same gear-flation or mud-flation that other games deal with, just not so much with the currency orbs. But gear has the same problem that it has in Diablo III and other similar games, right now good gear is a lot easier to get than it was at the start and two months from now even better gear will be even easier to get. That's just how it is with these games. Although the value of orbs has also seemed to drop drastically in terms of real money if you pay attention to the spam or check forums or various other places to partake in such activities.

I've spent $40 on the game and I feel that it's a lot of fun and completely worth it. I still have issues with their end-game map system (I don't play my higher level characters at all really), but creating new characters and builds is awesome on its own, combine that with the fact that they continually put out new and interested updates with new skills and so on, well let's just say that it's a good combination for longevity.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
In general, it's a really good system. In some instances though, it's extremely annoying. Like trying to get some 4l gloves that are GGGG, to go GGRR. Use several stacks of chromatics and when I run out, I still have GGGG. Why? Because dex items slots have a higher chance to go green. I think it just needs some tweaking.

As far as comparing to D3, I only played D3 to make some cash, made about $500 and that was great. But the game itself was shit, and once I stopped making money I couldn't bring myself to log in.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Been playing the game since back in October or so, ponied up the $10 for beta access back then, bought some stash tabs with the credits, and haven't spent any more money since. Thinking about dropping some cash on the custom stash tabs that are currently on sale though.

Venijk

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I did the two solo ancestral/turbo races today. They were pretty fucking tough but definitely evened the playing field a lot against the people who are pro at rushing through ignoring any packs of mobs from farm zone to farm zone. It's often far too dangerous to skip a pack of mobs and so the game turns more to who can efficiently kill difficult packs as opposed to who can run to merv as fast as possible. I'm liking these difficult race types a lot more than the typical time-trial style ones. The added danger gives the game more of a roguelike feel and seems to put a premium on the ability to critically assess a situation quickly.

I managed to get 8th in class with only making it to level 12 in the first race. The second one I was on par to get level 13/14 but ended up getting fucked by 4 frost skeletons with a diamond totem. It's a super shitty feeling watching your character get chain frozen and there being nothing you can do about it. Goddamn.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Been playing the game since back in October or so, ponied up the $10 for beta access back then, bought some stash tabs with the credits, and haven't spent any more money since. Thinking about dropping some cash on the custom stash tabs that are currently on sale though.
My first purchase was the premium stash bundle. 6 color coded nameable tabs is a hoarders dream. There was one image on the forums of a guy with 20+ tabs who was trying to stash all of the rares with the same name in separate tabs for some vendor recipe.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I bought the Bronze Pack during closed beta, not sure what it was, 50$? Something like that. Still have 110points left so about 40$ spent so far, everything in normal stash tabs.

Venijk

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You can always log out, if you're quick enough.
I've haven't done the alt+f4 escape yet and don't really want to start. If you're someone who finds being in hardcore makes the game less fun for you I can understand using it. I can understand the argument for avoiding a death due to desync or something of that nature too. Running into the middle of multiple ice skeletons next to a diamond totem on an ancestral turbo race was 100% my own fault.

cLmfVFn.png

Sometimes you're just fucked.

cLmfVFn.png

cLmfVFn.png

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Im about to leave the country for a couple of weeks if Pasteton or someone wants some SC 66 maps I can trade them tonite or tomorrow. At minimum I think I have around 20ish left? Also have a lot of pretty much every classes gear banked, some of the amazing stuff is gone but a lot of stuff that sells for a few GCP's and some uniques left for anyone starting out or broke.

@Economy post, its tanking which is a good thing if you have exalted orbs banked. Chaos on SC seems to be pushing 19-1 for Ex's last night pretty commonly in trade.

Caliane

I've haven't done the alt+f4 escape yet and don't really want to start. If you're someone who finds being in hardcore makes the game less fun for you I can understand using it. I can understand the argument for avoiding a death due to desync or something of that nature too. Running into the middle of multiple ice skeletons next to a diamond totem on an ancestral turbo race was 100% my own fault.

cLmfVFn.png

Sometimes you're just fucked.
Running hardcore, because thats what men do. then cheating.. just makes me scratch my head.

Personally I tend to stick with softcore, as I enjoy making insane builds and having 100 alts more.

cLmfVFn.png

cLmfVFn.png

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm really liking Hardcore more than I thought I would, after months of playing default league. I'm on my second character(first died at like lvl 15 to my own stupidity), and up to about lvl 47 or so with only a couple close calls so far. So far the only downside seems to be that by farming/outleveling areas to ensure survival, it kills your drop rates for gear and currency when you're pretty far above a zone level. Hell, I didn't get a single yellow item off of Vaal or Piety when I killed them on normal. I'm at Act 2 Cruel now, and I think I've seen a total of 1 alchemy orb drop so far(and I made 1 from shards/scraps), I usually have half a dozen by this point on default league, hitting zones when I'm actually around their level.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Neki convinced me to get this game. I know literally nothing about it. What's the closest class to what the monk in diablo3 was supposed to be (lightly armored, high dps, high mobility, teleport, ae stun etc) and can you gimp your permanently gimp your character or can you freely reroll?

Elerion

N00b
You can semi-permanently gimp your character. You can move like a third of your talent points around with free respec points (but they still have to link up correctly, so it still doesn't allow for very significant changes), and you can spend a buttload of in-game currency to move the rest. It's generally not worth it. It's faster to level up a new character if you want to make massive changes to your spec.

Rerolls are less painful than they sound like. Once you know the game well, you can level to 30+ in a couple of hours, and 50 in a day. Currency drops at the same rate for low level characters, so with the exception of gear drops, a low level character earns just as much as a high level. This makes rerolling far more fun than in the Diablo games, in my eyes.

Class doesn't really matter. It only affects where you start in the passive tree and what quest reward skills you get. Most specs move around the passive tree such that you can make the effectively the same character from 2-3 different classes. If you don't have a clue what to make, make a Marauder or Templar. 90% of specs move into the Marauder or Templar tree at some point.

There isn't really a low defense, high mobility, high dps spec. At least not for melee. All specs need to spend more than half their points on survivability. Your DPS will skyrocket with levels (and gear) anyway, so the passive points are usually focused on survival. This is of course slightly less true on softcore, but you will regret making a glass cannon there as well once you get to Merciless and start losing half your level on death.

Some example cookie cutter builds:
- Elemental archer (Ranger or Marauder, usually) - Levels with poison arrow / fire trap early, moves into lightning arrow around level 30 or so.
- Summoner (Witch, usually) - Like a D2 necro.
- Ethereal Knives build (Shadow, usually) - Physical semi-ranged.
- Freezing Pulse build (Marauder, Templar, Witch or Shadow, usually) - Elemental semi-ranged.
- Physical melee (Marauder or Duelist, usually) - Ground Slam focused, usually. Note that melees have it very tough in end-game maps, but there are lots of changes coming for melee.
- Elemental melee (Ranger, Duelist, Marauder, Templar) - Often Lightning Strike focused, possibly one of the new melee skills. Note that melees have it very tough in end-game maps, but there are lots of changes coming for melee.

Check out exilepro.com for well formatted builds. You may want to make your own build, but looking at a few of these will give you a feeling for how most good builds are created.

Caliane

Neki convinced me to get this game. I know literally nothing about it. What's the closest class to what the monk in diablo3 was supposed to be (lightly armored, high dps, high mobility, teleport, ae stun etc) and can you gimp your permanently gimp your character or can you freely reroll?
one of us, one of us!

Classes in this do not work anything like the others.
Anyone can in theory use any skill. you simply need to meet the stat requirements.

Classes determine starting location on the passive tree.

The passive tree location, allows for easier access to specific stats, as well as passives that give benefits to certain playstyles.

You can gimp your character yes. The game is very much designed around classic, start a new one when it dies, or you want to try something else. the ability to trade skills, large stash, etc. All feed into this design.

Might want a shadow or templar based on your monk.