Path of Exile

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I did 40/40 in Garbinger with Baron SRS and made a fortune, but I don't recommend it. It's slow. I rocked a HH and probably another 100+ex of gear and still couldn't keep up with builds that cost a fraction of that. You're just perpetually delayed by having to re-summon your ragers, and you can't scale your attack speed for speeding around.

If you're a slow methodical player, you might enjoy it -- you'll be able to do pretty much anything, just map clearing is going to be slower despite how much you try to scale.

using skeletons instead of srs may be better now? I'm not sure I don't usually summoner.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Skele mages were incredible for HC

Just didn't move at "definitely lose your character" speed

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
Probably gonna start with either a build using those new corpse spells, or a shrapnel shot deadeye type build. The volatile one looks pretty darn cool, and I don't play many bow characters. Ahhh options.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
using skeletons instead of srs may be better now? I'm not sure I don't usually summoner.

Honestly, my friend put it best: ("SRS is such a 2014 build.") The meta has changed; move fast kill fast. If you play a summoner, you'll never be able to keep up with someone playing a meta build. They'll be constantly zooming ahead of you while you try to keep up and keep more than a few summons up. If you play mostly solo or with super casuals (e.g., shit builds), then who cares -- but if you end up playing with people that are decent at the game running meta builds, then you don't want a summoner.

Edit: just to reiterate, I probably had 400 ex into my character and still couldn't keep up with buddies who were running anywhere from 10 to 50 ex. Obviously, I farmed decently well by myself and had fun clearing tough T16s and Uber Lab... but had I been playing a wander, I would have done much better and had more fun.

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
In Garbinger my starter build was charged dash. What a mistake that was. It was still really fun for map farming though.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Honestly, my friend put it best: ("SRS is such a 2014 build.") The meta has changed; move fast kill fast. If you play a summoner, you'll never be able to keep up with someone playing a meta build. They'll be constantly zooming ahead of you while you try to keep up and keep more than a few summons up. If you play mostly solo or with super casuals (e.g., shit builds), then who cares -- but if you end up playing with people that are decent at the game running meta builds, then you don't want a summoner.

Id assuming a skeleton build would use something for clearing packs, and skeletons on boss. But again, this is coming from a non-summoner player. No idea if that would work.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Id assuming a skeleton build would use something for clearing packs, and skeletons on boss. But again, this is coming from a non-summoner player. No idea if that would work.
Na you use skeletons to clear trash, but it's slower than speedbuilds in general, that's just how summon builds end up being. Only spectres will sometimes clear as fast but they nerfed them a bunch so probably not, although one advantage is you can pick up shit while killing as a summoner(but at the high end you don't really pick up much of anything). If you're trying to push the ladder really high and plan on playing in groups, then definitely not a summoner. But if you're mostly planning on soloing, summoner builds are fine, they're not THAT slow and you have the added protection of meat shields which do help a lot for random bullshit.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
I manged to get a 5L skeleton mage build going in that mayhem race. It was really fun but did feel slow. But I mean I had only put in maybe 45idh C into it.

For abyss I was thinking of doing an old elmont al blade flurry build.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone more knowledgeable than me when it comes to melee able to answer a question about the build I posted earlier? It's a Slayer that uses Wings of Entropy as the weapon and Bringer of Rain supported Sunder. Is there any reason I couldn't just use Ice Crash instead of Sunder, equipping Hrimsorrow for the full cold conversion, and still use the same exact skill tree? It should receive all the same dmg bonuses as Sunder does from both DW, 2H, and axe nodes I think... or am I missing something?

Also: Forum - Announcements - 3.1.0 Item Filter and Passive Tree Information - Path of Exile just got posted.

Ryanz

<Banned>
Busting out Excel was kinda fun, until I made a gigantic jumbled mess while trying to theorycraft.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone more knowledgeable than me when it comes to melee able to answer a question about the build I posted earlier? It's a Slayer that uses Wings of Entropy as the weapon and Bringer of Rain supported Sunder. Is there any reason I couldn't just use Ice Crash instead of Sunder, equipping Hrimsorrow for the full cold conversion, and still use the same exact skill tree? It should receive all the same dmg bonuses as Sunder does from both DW, 2H, and axe nodes I think... or am I missing something?

Also: Forum - Announcements - 3.1.0 Item Filter and Passive Tree Information - Path of Exile just got posted.
Are those items insanely cheap? Wings of Entropy seems like it would be low dps.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Are those items insanely cheap? Wings of Entropy seems like it would be low dps.
PoB says:

Sunder
Primary Wave
Avg. Dmg. - 74724.2
Total DPS - 227908.8

Shockwaves
Avg. Dmg. - 29921.3
Total DPS - 91260.0

Ice Crash
First Hit
Avg. Dmg. - 76474.8
Total DPS - 219856.1

Second Hit
Avg. Dmg. - 68820.0
Total DPS - 197857.5

Third Hit
Avg. Dmg. - 61164.1
Total DPS - 175846.8
[I don't know how to convert the three hits into a 'real' total dps number.]

Ancestral Warchief
Avg. Dmg. - 34269.0
Total DPS - 95524.8

That's L90 so will obviously be lower (still plenty adequate) when I first start lab, but I plugged it in mainly to compare Sunder and Ice Crash.

WoE and the rest are all pretty cheap. BoR is the only one that might be obnoxious at the very beginning of a league AFAIK. If I have to cheese merc lab room 1 chest to make enough currency to buy one, so be it. That's what I did last season too, in order to afford Lycosidae, Tabula, and Rat's Nest before I moved on to uber.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Ice Crash's stages are exclusive. Any monster hit by one stage can not be damaged by the other two in the same attack. Not sure if you were going for that with your comment in that brackets.

What I mean was that the dps seems low for a starter build. The sunder build I have specced out for level 90 will have around 500k dps, with the only expensive item being a belly, which obviously doesn't affect dps. Just seems you're much better off going with a decent axe and prismatic eclipse.