Path of Exile

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
My totem build only swapped inc aoe/conc everything else was always the same. Pretty sure I kept shaper alive on totem build but then couldn't finish elder off afterwards cause too many adds alive to get any dps off as totems died instantly to the 800 projectiles flying around.

I guess I could try my next one using only flurry but I think that's what I did for the first one I did and it didn't work either. The mobs die basically instantly with reave but get a shot off every now and then and by 3rd/4th portal shaper runs out of hp. I can't see flurry doing it better since I wouldn't be able to come even close to hitting every mob as it spawns but I dunno, I can try it again on the next one.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yeah reave doesn't kill the portals, just the mobs as they spawn. I guess maybe if I just run my 6link flurry and burn the portals down it might work better.

I alch'd a pair of gloves (and then bricked an exalt on them) that seems to be worth 10+ exalts so I took a quick look at potential claw upgrades and... they're all mirrors or 40+ exalts (and most of them probably aren't even much better than mine since none have as much crit as mine does). Feelsbadman.

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've never had any issues with portals. I'd like to see how do the fight; could you record an elder attempt?

Staying on topic: I bricked 2 shaper sets and got him on the 3rd today(still hard for cleave no matter how many times you do the fight), but my luck with jewels continues:

screenshot-0035.png

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I've never played these type of builds(purposeful self damage). This item is new this patch:

WRqS0r0.png

And a bunch of the people in the thread are excited for VMS type of builds. How is type of build not already enabled by Scold's Bridle?

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Got shaper onto a t15 tonight so ran him 3 times to get my memory frags done. Used blade flurry only on all 3. First 2 tries shaper died on 4th portal, 3rd try I left inc aoe instead of conc and shaper ended up living (then I died 4 times finishing elder off). Might pick up a 20/20 crit damage gem and see if I have enough aoe to keep him up with that instead of inc aoe since my damage with inc aoe is kinda weak (11.5k tooltip flurry vs 20k with conc but tiny tiny aoe).

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Good thing you finished up when you did. After you logged the server went down.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I dont know, it reads like they are just telling us what we want to hear.

It's our belief that every Path of Exile release needs a really compelling and rewarding league, alongside enough skill and metagame changes to have many exciting builds for you to look forward to experiencing that content with.

Like this for example. It sounds great but then you realize there have been barely any not to mention 'enough' skill and metagame changes in 2 leagues despite promises from Chris on reddit.

From looking at the news since Bestiary release Id say that they saw the first decrease in playerbase in a while. Every league we get some announcement about more people playing PoE than ever but its noticeably absent this league. They are probably scrambling to fix that.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well for the skill stuff this next league should have a bunch, they've already started talking about it. I guess all the potential previous changes were pushed back due to other issues and that led to 2 leagues in a row with not much new stuff, some new skills that underperform and/or are the same as older skills but better(which might still underperform, like how tectonic is basically better ground slam but still not good enough). I guess that the new skill shit will be a main focus for the next league, so they can go a few leagues without changing much and being like "well we changed a lot in 3.3". Honestly it'd be nice if they stopped adding variations of ground slam and just worked on fixing ground slam and all its variations first so they're actually different enough from each other and worth using.

But objectively some of the changes they've made in the past few leagues were fairly good. The ascendency rework is mostly a success, a lot more ascendencies feel good, although they missed the mark on a few. Some aren't popular but it's more a meta thing than a power thing like before(for example Occultist was one of the least popular one when they posted numbers a couple weeks back but it's a very strong ascendency, it's just the focus doesn't match with how people play the game currently, not many people do ES based builds for example). The Elder and Shaper stuff were pretty well received and offer a nice challenge with some nice rewards for it and forces people to think a bit more about their atlas too. The map changes also helped with map diversity, sure people still want to run specific maps over and over, but it's not like ONE map like it was a few leagues ago, people have to pick a small handful of maps and they don't necessarily all pick the same but instead pick based on their builds for maximum efficiency. Some pick open maps, some more closed maps due to more limited aoe and stuff.

The main thing is whenever they do their trading/crafting focused league next, they need to think it through better. Honestly I don't think a league should be crafting focused entirely, it should just be a normal loot focused league, with crafting mechanics on top. It'd fuck the economy further, sure, but at least people who don't care about crafting don't get basically standard for 3months. I don't think enough people care enough about crafting to make a whole league concept based around it. Most people just want to kill monsters and get loot, not kill monsters and get components to maybe craft something good or maybe not. If they do the whole crafting, it needs to be way less RNG. It can't be "well you get random materials randomly, and then those random materials give you semi random results, so good luck with that". Games like Monster Hunter work on crafting systems because it's all deterministic, you farm boss x to get material y to craft item z. You might get 0-5y sure, but you know that farming that same boss over and over will eventually give you enough y materials to craft the z that you want.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So, I'm at 28 challenges and the remainder to 36 looks a bit grindy/RNG. Gear upgrades for my Infernal Blow/BF Jugg are already in exalt range, so he's pretty much "finished". I'm rerolling to make the remaining grind a bit more interesting. I've decided upon a Poet's Pen build with an Elementalist to help with map clear. Will probably go typical Volatile Dead/Unearth and use Frenzy/Pierce or Chain/GMP to spread ailments, and Inpulsa's to blow up packs. Still considering Glacial Cascade and <something else> instead.

Some concerns:
  1. I still plan on killing bosses on this character. Pretty sure not stuff like Shaper or Elder since they are "rare" enough to warrant switching back to my Jugg. But red tier map bosses can still be threatening. Is it even possible for a Poet's Pen build to hold a candle in terms of survivability compared to Jugg? New build is exciting, but if it's just going to be relatively squishy, feelsbadman is going to happen a lot.
  2. I'm having trouble dealing with paying for the mana cost for the Poet's Pen trigger skill. How is it usually done in these builds without resorting to something like Berek's Grip?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Pyros Pyros that's kinda the point, Bestiary started with some cool deterministic stuff while leveling which got everybody excited and that fizzled out once you hit maps. I know GGG feels the need to keep some ultragrindy rewards for the top 0,1%, but this was just ridiculous unfinished crap on top of unfriendly mechanics that took a few weeks of hotfixes to make somewhat enjoyable. It's pretty obvious they ran out of time halfway through. Like the fact the bestiary completion requires you to catch mostly white beasts even thought they are 100% useless and only clog up the space and you can't even delete them. I like that they try to make you use the crafting a bit, since the golden rule of PoE was to fuck crafting, sell the materials and buy the result directly from others unless you feel really lucky, but otherwise the mechanic was basically a few extra yellow mobs per map. Red beasts are also horribly executed concept, since you meet them first during leveling where they don't give you anything extra besides being hard to kill, I had no idea they could give you portal recipes in maps, I kept waiting for a new tier of beasts.

And don't get me started on net tiers.

So yeah, the next league better bring out the hookers and blowjobs, since people are going to judge it a lot harsher.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
If you actually captured beasts as you were playing through your first char then you would've gotten most, if not all, of the white beasts to complete your beastiary (barring ones that only appear in maps like untainted paradise mobs, one of which didn't give me credit for capturing the other day). Red beasts and even yellow beasts drop tons of loot so I dunno why you say they give "nothing".

Skipping the league mechanic and then complaining about it because you skipped it is kind of foolish. That'd be like running past abyss cracks and then saying "I had no clue you could get liches/depths, I kept waiting for one to spawn in my map!" or same thing with breaches/splinters etc. etc.

I don't know what problem you might have with net tiers but it's probably silly since the only time it gets even remotely clustery is when you're doing early mapping (t1-t3ish) when like 5 types can drop.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
If you actually captured beasts as you were playing through your first char then you would've gotten most, if not all, of the white beasts to complete your beastiary (barring ones that only appear in maps like untainted paradise mobs, one of which didn't give me credit for capturing the other day). Red beasts and even yellow beasts drop tons of loot so I dunno why you say they give "nothing".

Skipping the league mechanic and then complaining about it because you skipped it is kind of foolish. That'd be like running past abyss cracks and then saying "I had no clue you could get liches/depths, I kept waiting for one to spawn in my map!" or same thing with breaches/splinters etc. etc.

I don't know what problem you might have with net tiers but it's probably silly since the only time it gets even remotely clustery is when you're doing early mapping (t1-t3ish) when like 5 types can drop.
1)Yellow beasts at launch gave fuck all, reds slightly more while also being rare enough to not really matter. First week sets the expectations.
2)If you had enough nets on your first character while going through the story, then we were playing a diffrent game.
3) Doesn't change my point that capturing white ones is useless beyond a checkmark and mapping is where people spend bulk of their time. A lot of mobs are also only reachable in maps or prophecies.
4)Nets are inventory clutter that was literally only relevant on your first character, otherwise you just grab a stack of the best ones from your stash and you can nuke any beast you come across while leveling
5) I crashed 3 times while loading into Farrul fight on week 2 of the league, if it ate up all of my portals, I'd probably quit and never come back. I haven't seen another portal beast since.

I vividly recall capturing the unique flame hound in a6, only for the recipe to require 3 magic ones of the same type, I had to reset the map like 4 times before a pack of those spawned and I could receive my well designed reward.

The league was buggy as fuck, unpolished and even after some bandaids remains pretty boring. The only thing I applaud them for is re-adding orb of horizons, so red maps aren't such a pain in the ass. People voiced most of those concerns during their preview and were shut down, yet they made the exact fuckups everybody was worried about.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Anyone defending how bestiary was when it launched is just a fucking idiot, not really worth debating the subject. Even GGG has admitted they fucked up bigtime.

Got my first mirror this weekend, wee!

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
Bestiary sucked and for the most part still sucks. But I like the armour sets from it, the free loot you get from making uniques, on top of the ascendancy changes and uber elder, this is probably my most played league.

Grats on the mirror!

khalid

Unelected Mod
But I like the armour sets from it, the free loot you get from making uniques, on top of the ascendancy changes and uber elder, this is probably my most played league.

Yeah, I'm playing the hell out of this league also. The ascendency changes, elder rings, some fun recipes on bestiary, the loot explosions from them now, it is fun.

Just the list of shit that still needs fixing on bestiary is huge. On top of that list is how ridiculous it is that you still can't get rid of beasts without either blowing them on stupid recipes or using an orb. It really is like they didn't even bother to do any testing of this shit at all before it went live.