Path of Exile

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It makes sense because the trapper playstyle lends itself very well to not getting hit often. You can spend a lot of time moving around to get into just the right position to throw traps safely. I'm not going to say it wasn't an issue entirely when I got mobbed -- I had to link Flame Dash to Blood Magic because I almost died once without it -- but I'm 100% certain it saved my ass way, way more than it was a pain in it.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
View Profile - Path of Exile - JamesVZ got me to 92 in HC Incursion, can't imagine it doing poorly as a league starter even after the nerfs to it, and Arc is bonkers. Those gloves were pretty slick for the budget at the time, you're realistically looking at 10ex worth of items to replace it competently and they were like 35c.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
View Profile - Path of Exile - JamesVZ got me to 92 in HC Incursion, can't imagine it doing poorly as a league starter even after the nerfs to it, and Arc is bonkers. Those gloves were pretty slick for the budget at the time, you're realistically looking at 10ex worth of items to replace it competently and they were like 35c.
Shaper trap gloves do not cost 10 ex.

Vorph Vorph not sure, was wondering the same myself. Spent the last couple hours cooking up a LL trapper and I cannot get the ES to satisfactory levels. As in, worth the investment, greater than 8k. Damage isn't turning out that good either because LL is approximately equal to Malachai's Awakening.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I hit a wall at t10 maps. I kept playing on standard on my Templar. Just feels like I really need some more gear. But fuck it.

Ok. I’m at a loss what to play. Was going ranger. None of the builds look reasonable as a starter. Wanted a bow build.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Shaper trap gloves do not cost 10 ex.

Newp, but then you need to figure out how to handle your mana, or buy enough damage in other slots to give up a gem slot for blood magic. And like you said, traps and mana recovery don't go well together.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Newp, but then you need to figure out how to handle your mana, or buy enough damage in other slots to give up a gem slot for blood magic. And like you said, traps and mana recovery don't go well together.
Malachai's Awakening! There's Tinkerskin + EB too.

I'm honestly not sure I like builds where you have to be concerned about mana costs.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I ripped a Tinkerskin + EB trapper at 82 in Incursion, fwiw.

EDIT: Loreweave turned out to be like 1000x better in terms of survivablity, who'd have guessed.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Loreweave seems like it's going to be used in like 80% of the builds this league.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
James James What was his eHP compared to your other dude? Malachai's Awakening + Loreweave has great dps and good mitigation, but a bit under 6k raw HP. Tinkerskin + EB has a fair bit less dps, bit less elemental mitigation, but almost 9k raw HP.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
PoB

The Malachai + Loreweave numbers are real though, I got almost to 6k life playing that build in Incursion.

I'll admit Tinkerskin + EB might be a bit expensive to get it to 9k life.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have no idea why Tinkerskin + EB would get you 3k more life, though. Like what other items are you saying it's enabling to get THAT much life?

EDIT: Yeah I just looked up Malachai's Awakening. I tried to make it work a few times in terms of defense, but I was never happy with it on paper and relegated it to one of those softcore things.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You get ES armor items and ES affixes where ever you can, it adds up quick to ~3k ES with many modifiers on the tree. The issue ends up being proccing Tinkerskin. Chain Reaction blocks "trap triggered by enemy", so I'm tossing this idea.

Why do you think a build centered around Malachai's Awakening is too weak?

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Hmm, PoB mock up has my tidebreaker setup at 350k shaper dps, 142k avg hit, with flasks up and endurance charges and bleeding and 60k dps on an effective 4link cyclone (5th = inc aoe). 5700ish life. Wonder if those 140k hits are enough to actually stun things that matter...

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think I am going to go for that cool ice trap build I saw on the starter builds guide I listened to yesterday.