Path of Exile

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
yeah, went cobra lash.

Man this skill... its one of those skills that highlights the design change in skills.
its a level 1 skill, you get from killing Hillock as soon as you enter lionseye watch.

base is 75%(to 125%) of attack damage, with 120% of base attack speed.
3-5( to 113-169) added chaos damage.
50% chaos conversion.
Chain 3(5) times
+50% to damage over time multiplier for chaos from critical hits.
40% chance to poison on hit.

Why the hell does this have free chainx3-5?
the 75% of base attack is low, but scales up to a respectable 125%. with a built in 20% ias buff... and then flat added chaos damage also built in. so its raw dps is solid as well without any other buffs.. But then of course it does also 40% poison on hit, for more free damage, and a HUGE 50% damage over time multiplier on crits.

Cobra lash does feel crazy smooth and good. like a lightning strike or frostblades without the bullshit getting caught on ground effects, or needing to hit a target first.
build is a bit weak atm though honestly. raw dps has not been amazing. good pack clear. survival has been low.
Ya. This lol.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Ya it took me about 6 deaths to get Act 5 Innocence down last night. But Kitava was easy and deathless. I'm already dreading map bosses.

this is where newer players will quit and never come back. grinding through the leveling isn't all that hard or complicated, but figuring out maps and getting buttfucked by metamorphs unless you're build and play is on point will kill it for a lot of people

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
getting buttfucked by metamorphs unless you're build and play is on point will kill it for a lot of people

Completely disagree.

After the bullshit "mechanics" leagues of Betrayal, Synthesis, and Blight, Metamorph is the type of shit they need to return to. At the end of the day, this game is all about killing shit and watching lootsplosions. Metamorph is a perfect return to the "simple" side of PoE. Run map, blow up mobs/bosses, use their parts to create a final lootsplosion boss without much thinking involved. Sure, you might be searching for rare jewelry instead of currency and take a few extra seconds to swap around body parts. However, Metamorph gets us back to "kill shit, collect loot" that PoE had been missing for the past several leagues where it took countless YouTube videos and spreadsheets just to understand wtf was going on. Hell, even Delve, for as good as that league is and was, still required some YouTube watching on my part to exactly understand hidden rooms, darkness resist, etc.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
The only horseshit design about Metamorph bosses are the small exploding bubbles they put on the ground. I don't know if it's corpse explosion or a random ability but they are not possible to see in dark areas and they are hard to see in light areas because the the boss covers everything in black shit. and spawns a ton of mobs. If there's something out there that can one shot me, and I can't see it, at least give me a sound queue. Anyway, time to reroll.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
Hopefully the patch later this week fixes my atlas. The issue is now on the known bug list at least.

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
The only horseshit design about Metamorph bosses are the small exploding bubbles they put on the ground. I don't know if it's corpse explosion or a random ability but they are not possible to see in dark areas and they are hard to see in light areas because the the boss covers everything in black shit. and spawns a ton of mobs. If there's something out there that can one shot me, and I can't see it, at least give me a sound queue. Anyway, time to reroll.

This. I had a black dragon pet for a little bit. BAD MOVE. hahah. The black puddles are the only thing that really fuck me during those fights.

Kythik Kythik I'm sorry man, I don't know what you and I did any differently, but it must have been something for mine to unfuck itself and yours not. Sooner rather than later I hope.

• 1Like

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can you link increased duration to make the chill and shock from the minion of the tempest's binding last longer? Anyone played with this any and know if the minion actually does anything?
It just dropped and seemed like an interesting way to get chill and shock whitout the 35% reserve of skitterbots. It fucks my gear so i cant test it out cheaply.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I’m surprised how blah most of the new influence mods are.

My guess is they're preplanning for poe2 (so they dont need to nerf it later) where you can get 6 links everywhere, hence they even removed elders fortify mod etc. Seems like a mistake though if it means 1 year+ of boring gear.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I don't mind the changes but ggg is fucking themselves introducing new levels of complication into an already complex game. I don't really understand how anyone picks up this games and finds enough enjoyments to keep playing before giving up out of frustration.

I feel like they're making the fatal mistake of making the game for some hardcore nuttbutter streamers. I want a little challenge and some some, not this insane complexity. I don't even pick up items anymore, it's weird, there's really no point.

I agree. At this point I dont even know how new players even get into this game.

I know my son started this league with his buddies. I told him man, this shit is more difficult than you think, look up some basic newb build guides. Hes all like naww, I dont need it. a few days later I asked hows it going and he said they quit. Got too difficult didnt know WTF was going on.

I think this is GGGs buigest problem with the game. Its great and all but for the common pleb it takes a good 2-3 leagues to figure everything out, and I dont think plebs have the patience for this shit.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Completely disagree.

After the bullshit "mechanics" leagues of Betrayal, Synthesis, and Blight, Metamorph is the type of shit they need to return to. At the end of the day, this game is all about killing shit and watching lootsplosions. Metamorph is a perfect return to the "simple" side of PoE. Run map, blow up mobs/bosses, use their parts to create a final lootsplosion boss without much thinking involved. Sure, you might be searching for rare jewelry instead of currency and take a few extra seconds to swap around body parts. However, Metamorph gets us back to "kill shit, collect loot" that PoE had been missing for the past several leagues where it took countless YouTube videos and spreadsheets just to understand wtf was going on. Hell, even Delve, for as good as that league is and was, still required some YouTube watching on my part to exactly understand hidden rooms, darkness resist, etc.

Hey I'm with you, I like metamorph mobs, but to a newer player they are literally going to be a brick wall.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Maybe they dont have to, maybe they have enough wales laying down cash (obviously) to do what they do without having to chase casuals.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I agree. At this point I dont even know how new players even get into this game.

I know my son started this league with his buddies. I told him man, this shit is more difficult than you think, look up some basic newb build guides. Hes all like naww, I dont need it. a few days later I asked hows it going and he said they quit. Got too difficult didnt know WTF was going on.

I think this is GGGs buigest problem with the game. Its great and all but for the common pleb it takes a good 2-3 leagues to figure everything out, and I dont think plebs have the patience for this shit.

One of the big issues(IMO)is that people go into a new league(especially if they haven't played in a league or two)thinking they need to do everything. You don't, at all. A lot of prior league mechanics can just be flat out ignored. Hell, even current league mechanics can be ignored, honestly. GGG has a very noticeable "choose your own adventure" approach to endgame and its mechanics.

For instance: I still don't really fully comprehend Betrayal mechanics. Intelligence took way too fucking long to gather when it was the actual league and it's even worse now that it isn't. Not to mention the whole capture, bargain, kill, etc. bullshit. So, I just flat out ignore Jun missions/betrayal mechanics. A lot of people find Incursions to be a waste of time and while I agree the loot often isn't worth the time investment, there's just something I absolutely fucking love about Incursion(probably my favorite league of all-time, but Metamorph might surpass that once they add auto-pickup). So, I spend extra time doing Alva's missions, even though other people find it inefficient. Delve is another one that is a fan favorite but I'm just not a fan of the whole "darkness" mechanic/gameplay, so I mostly ignore it as well. Don't even get me started on Blight. I'm here to play an ARPG, fuck off with your tower defense bullshit..(but I still recognize that some people like that kind of stuff for the variety it brings).

I will agree with you that GGG probably needs to do a better job of tutorials/explanations, but I think a lot of companies are moving away from that with how popular Twitch and YouTube have become. There's so many fucking sources of information now that if you don't really comprehend something, you either don't care enough to learn, or don't feel that it's worth your time. There is a huge amount of complexity to the game and a lot of it might seem daunting to a new player but you honestly will waste a ton of time and remain very inefficient if you try to do "all the things"(I do think GGG needs to do a better job explaining this part, specifically). You're far better off just flat out ignoring the shit you don't really understand/doesn't make sense and focusing your efforts on the mechanics/gameplay that are fun/make sense.

Caliane

I feel like GGG doesn't have the pull to chase casuals.
That is a bizarre statement. tell that to stardew valley, undertale and shit.

you can buy pull for casuals with deep pockets, and a marketing budget. raid:shadow legends.
you can buy pull for casuals by being famous for being famous. Blizzard at this point.
you can get pull for casuals by being cute, accessible, and having great word of mouth.

The only real problem here is PoE's gothic, nightmare art style is not cute. And will never have the pull for casuals due to that.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
They don’t want casuals is my guess. And I’d say the design is a good indication that Tencent is very hands-off.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Your example about Blizzard is actually what I was going for. I was disregarding other avenues because it means GGG would have to change the game in very significant ways.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'm going extremely slow this league. Only up to act 3. I do an act and then log for the day. Is it worth doing metamorphs as you level or just wait till you get into maps?

dizzie

Triggered Happy
I'm going extremely slow this league. Only up to act 3. I do an act and then log for the day. Is it worth doing metamorphs as you level or just wait till you get into maps?

They are risky at low levels if you pile on mods.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Even if they don't chase casuals, they should probably make easily accessible guides/introductions to all the fucking side systems they have in the game. Like when you do the first Alva mission, there should be a small tutorial(optional obviously) that explains how it works more or less. Same for Betrayal and so forth.

And the Atlas is even more fucked, they either need to rework the quest to force you into a specific progression(similar to the old atlas, where you could clearly see where you had to go with the influence visible on the map at all times and the maps becoming blue when there was something to do there) or have a fairly robust explanation at the start of how this shit works. Figuring it out while knowing the game is ok, but figuring it out when you have no idea what even the mapping endgame system is supposed to be is probably impossible without watching videos or reading the wiki(which is probably not super updated yet.

Just make it a simple video on their official youtube that's also linked in a Guide section of the website that explains the basics simply. "This is what it is, this is what you should do, this is optional(or not if it's the Atlas)". They don't necessarily need to tell you which people go where in Betrayal, but they sure should tell you what the point of the whole thing is and how it functions(including that some of the stuff is random and there's more people in the system than shown).