Path of Exile

Xevy

Log Wizard
I played hardcore exclusively until I think 2.1 or 2.2 and then I just wanted to try new builds (that didn't work mostly!) and other stuff. There's no way I could see myself playing hardcore anymore EXCEPT maybe this league because they didn't add any new GIB bosses (some of the fucking T3/T4 bosses bullshit aside) and you could fix your gear without having to indulge the emaciated hardcore trade system. Definitely props to people still playing, it definitely does make the game more thrilling but I've died to enough invisible shit this league to have confirmed never again.

The best was invisible shaper clone killing me and I had no idea except I saw the failure come up in the achievement log. That's when I knew.

Chieftan Bladefall/Bladeblast Kitava's Thirst build is utterly ridiculous now. Being able to craft high-end gear for basically free is a great help. Problem is due to the "proc" mechanic I can't really estimate my dps but full-bonered (Vaal RF, flasks, lost endurance charge recently, etc) the Sirus DPS seems to be something like:

Bladefall (always going): 2.3m dps
Bladeblast: ~10 blades x (450k each) x 6.3 (bladefall cast) x 0.5(proc chance) = 14m dps

Pretty good. Deathless A8 several times now. Can instagib all A8 Conquerors. I died a bunch during my Uber Elder b/c I phased them both at the wrong times due to retarded AE size and mega damage.

PoB for those interested. My gear is pretty good but I bought most all of it for less than 0.5ex with the exception of my belt 4ex (easily crafted I was lazy) and my Unnatural Instict which I found but isn't required.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I played hardcore exclusively until I think 2.1 or 2.2 and then I just wanted to try new builds (that didn't work mostly!) and other stuff. There's no way I could see myself playing hardcore anymore EXCEPT maybe this league because they didn't add any new GIB bosses (some of the fucking T3/T4 bosses bullshit aside) and you could fix your gear without having to indulge the emaciated hardcore trade system. Definitely props to people still playing, it definitely does make the game more thrilling but I've died to enough invisible shit this league to have confirmed never again.

The best was invisible shaper clone killing me and I had no idea except I saw the failure come up in the achievement log. That's when I knew.

Chieftan Bladefall/Bladeblast Kitava's Thirst build is utterly ridiculous now. Being able to craft high-end gear for basically free is a great help. Problem is due to the "proc" mechanic I can't really estimate my dps but full-bonered (Vaal RF, flasks, lost endurance charge recently, etc) the Sirus DPS seems to be something like:

Bladefall (always going): 2.3m dps
Bladeblast: ~10 blades x (450k each) x 6.3 (bladefall cast) x 0.5(proc chance) = 14m dps

Pretty good. Deathless A8 several times now. Can instagib all A8 Conquerors. I died a bunch during my Uber Elder b/c I phased them both at the wrong times due to retarded AE size and mega damage.

PoB for those interested. My gear is pretty good but I bought most all of it for less than 0.5ex with the exception of my belt 4ex (easily crafted I was lazy) and my Unnatural Instict which I found but isn't required.

You're not using Black Cane? Seems tailor made for this spell combo.

Spell Echo *seems* good, but I think its benefit is marginal over another support, especially since it locks you down for two casts(why can't you animation cancel this like multistrike!?!?!). All it take is two bad rolls of Kitava's Thirst(25%) and you're wasting a fair amount of blades from Bladefall. Awakened Spell Cascade will exacerbate this.

How did you come up with that 10 number? I assume it's some estimation of blades left in range of blade blast's radius of a human sized target? I don't have a great method either.

I think multiplying by the 0.5 proc chance is a mistake. Assuming you mitigate blades overwriting themselves(shame you can't outright prevent it), it might be more accurate to estimate a blades/s left by bladefall and then use that to calculate blast's dps. Honestly, it's like 10 minutes to throw together a simulation. And I'm pretty sure there's a mathematical model that would cover this type of scenario. Binomial distribution?

No pops? Clear is kinda annoying on this build without them. I'm shelving the build until I feel like getting an explodey chest is marginal enough in cost.

I saw a couple people that copied that guy's build, but they went down to the right then up through scion life. Assumedly so they could get instant enduring cry. How does enduring cry feel non-instant and no warcry investment?

Xevy

Log Wizard
You're not using Black Cane? Seems tailor made for this spell combo.

Spell Echo *seems* good, but I think its benefit is marginal over another support, especially since it locks you down for two casts(why can't you animation cancel this like multistrike!?!?!). All it take is two bad rolls of Kitava's Thirst(25%) and you're wasting a fair amount of blades from Bladefall. Awakened Spell Cascade will exacerbate this.

How did you come up with that 10 number? I assume it's some estimation of blades left in range of blade blast's radius of a human sized target? I don't have a great method either.

I think multiplying by the 0.5 proc chance is a mistake. Assuming you mitigate blades overwriting themselves(shame you can't outright prevent it), it might be more accurate to estimate a blades/s left by bladefall and then use that to calculate blast's dps. Honestly, it's like 10 minutes to throw together a simulation. And I'm pretty sure there's a mathematical model that would cover this type of scenario. Binomial distribution?

No pops? Clear is kinda annoying on this build without them. I'm shelving the build until I feel like getting an explodey chest is marginal enough in cost.

I saw a couple people that copied that guy's build, but they went down to the right then up through scion life. Assumedly so they could get instant enduring cry. How does enduring cry feel non-instant and no warcry investment?

-I started off with Black Cane. It does seem good in theory, because Bladefall is just a trigger and it gets phantasms up very quickly. But the ramp time on single target super bosses can be painful and your minions die to AE's with their ~4khp. I'd rather slightly juice my Bladefall and not rely on a gimmick. The minions were dying so fast I even got the jewel to make recently created minions invulnerable. Unfortunately that investment alone is something like a jewel socket and 2-3 passives for basically no benefit. Overall if your gear is bad it's fine to start with, but like I did I bought my two weapons for 80c and 30c a week ago and that's vastly superior now. The same people who run Black Cane tend to run Elemental Overload and that's more of the same thing. It's great until you can get high end gear and with crafting this league it's a no-brainer to go crit for even more damage.

-You need 100+ cost on spell uses, so you use mostly high mana multiplier supports or else you have to use fevered mind and lose nodes elsewhere (been there, did that). Spell Echo doesn't matter when you cast 6 times per second and I face tank shit anyways because you want to be closer to the boss due to how Kitava's Thirst works. The bladeblast explosion STARTS from you, so the closer you are and the tighter your blades are the bigger the boom. Blades also last something like 7+ seconds after duration stuff which is more than enough. You'd have something like 40 chances to trigger them before the first ones disappear.

-10 blades because it seemed reasonable. I just checked and each volley actually makes something like 15-30 blades per cast so it's actually much, much more.

-Overwriting blades? Not an issue as it basically drops a billion each volley. (by my count 15-30).

-I'm working on an explode/curse/crit chest but currently my overkill is so much herald of ash annihilates anything with overkill burning damage. Porcupines are fairly annoying but with 5 end charges and almost 6khp unless they're super juiced they're not much of a problem. I will be switching to a pop chest soon and the synergy with full fire conversion + fire leech + stacked AE will make it very, very nice.

-Warcry investment? Nah. My cast time is 0.58 seconds which is not as great as instant, but there's a bunch of garbage pathing to get there and I'd rather have 2 uses. Enduring cry I pretty much use at the start of a map and on big boss fights at the beginning or if I take a big hit. I have 12 second duration on endurance charges so that's plenty of time to refresh if for some reason I need to (immortal call, no kills recently).

I'll probably stream it tonight after shooting people. I'll make a highlight if I run through the Conqs and A8 of just those.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
-I started off with Black Cane. It does seem good in theory, because Bladefall is just a trigger and it gets phantasms up very quickly. But the ramp time on single target super bosses can be painful and your minions die to AE's with their ~4khp. I'd rather slightly juice my Bladefall and not rely on a gimmick. The minions were dying so fast I even got the jewel to make recently created minions invulnerable. Unfortunately that investment alone is something like a jewel socket and 2-3 passives for basically no benefit. Overall if your gear is bad it's fine to start with, but like I did I bought my two weapons for 80c and 30c a week ago and that's vastly superior now. The same people who run Black Cane tend to run Elemental Overload and that's more of the same thing. It's great until you can get high end gear and with crafting this league it's a no-brainer to go crit for even more damage.

-You need 100+ cost on spell uses, so you use mostly high mana multiplier supports or else you have to use fevered mind and lose nodes elsewhere (been there, did that). Spell Echo doesn't matter when you cast 6 times per second and I face tank shit anyways because you want to be closer to the boss due to how Kitava's Thirst works. The bladeblast explosion STARTS from you, so the closer you are and the tighter your blades are the bigger the boom. Blades also last something like 7+ seconds after duration stuff which is more than enough. You'd have something like 40 chances to trigger them before the first ones disappear.

-10 blades because it seemed reasonable. I just checked and each volley actually makes something like 15-30 blades per cast so it's actually much, much more.

-Overwriting blades? Not an issue as it basically drops a billion each volley. (by my count 15-30).

-I'm working on an explode/curse/crit chest but currently my overkill is so much herald of ash annihilates anything with overkill burning damage. Porcupines are fairly annoying but with 5 end charges and almost 6khp unless they're super juiced they're not much of a problem. I will be switching to a pop chest soon and the synergy with full fire conversion + fire leech + stacked AE will make it very, very nice.

-Warcry investment? Nah. My cast time is 0.58 seconds which is not as great as instant, but there's a bunch of garbage pathing to get there and I'd rather have 2 uses. Enduring cry I pretty much use at the start of a map and on big boss fights at the beginning or if I take a big hit. I have 12 second duration on endurance charges so that's plenty of time to refresh if for some reason I need to (immortal call, no kills recently).

I'll probably stream it tonight after shooting people. I'll make a highlight if I run through the Conqs and A8 of just those.
I haven't looked into crit or minion survivability yet, you might be right there.

The 100+ mana requirement doesn't lock you into Spell Echo just because it's a 1.4 multiplier. Before you get to level 20 Bladefall, maybe. But with a base cost of 24 and the Forethought nodes, you get there with a 1.2(phantasms), 1.4(cascade), 1.4(conc effect), 1.3(combustion), and 1.3(surge). Fevered Mind is not required.

I have noticed that about Kitava's Thirst. Does Blade Blast trigger all other blades in a radius of the first one, or can triggered blasts trigger ones that were initially too far away?

Overwriting may not be the right word. Bladefall has a limit of 40 blades in the ground at any time. After two "dud" triggers, your bladefall, with spell echo, is not leaving any new blades.

I like explodey chest for consistency. Without it, you have to depend on bladefall, where the overkill damage for HoA won't be much, or bladeblast triggering. I was even toying with the idea of getting a lightning warp helm enchant. With Black Cane and tons of cast speed this build has, I'm willing to bet you could just warp around the map blowing everything up.

Half second warcry sounds super clunky. But I guess you're only using it once in a while.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I don't think the spell echo is working like you think it does. It doesn't lock you in place like multistrike. You cast once, it fires twice. You're always going to cast once, this just gives you double the chance of blades.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
No, that's definitely how spell echo works. It's hard to notice at cast speeds around 0.25, which is where this build should be anyway. Strip away some of your cast speed gear and do some stutter step casting, you'll see a longer delay with spell echo in because you, the player, are casting both.

Spell Echo would be retarded if it had a 2x, 1.7x, and 0.9x multiplier in one support.

Even that aside, it's not a straight up 1.7x multiplier for blade blast because it frequently runs you into the limit of lingering blades. Even THAT aside, there might not be another good support if you aren't running phantasms.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I tried softcore at times but I just can't do it without that extra thrill of hardcore. It makes it so much more fun to have something on the line, I can't go without it.

Xevy

Log Wizard
No, that's definitely how spell echo works. It's hard to notice at cast speeds around 0.25, which is where this build should be anyway. Strip away some of your cast speed gear and do some stutter step casting, you'll see a longer delay with spell echo in because you, the player, are casting both.

Spell Echo would be retarded if it had a 2x, 1.7x, and 0.9x multiplier in one support.

Even that aside, it's not a straight up 1.7x multiplier for blade blast because it frequently runs you into the limit of lingering blades. Even THAT aside, there might not be another good support if you aren't running phantasms.

Spell echo for blade blast? I can't because it's a triggered skill and they cannot be echo'd. If you're saying instead of for Bladefall, the only thing Bladefall is needed for on bosses is casting as many blades as fast as possible and that's what Spell Echo does better than anything else.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Inferred multiplier for blade blast.

I'll cook up some python code for bladefall, I'm willing to bet spell echo is an effective 1.5 multiplier because of the lingering blade limit. 1.35 with awakened spell cascade.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Spell echo for blade blast? I can't because it's a triggered skill and they cannot be echo'd. If you're saying instead of for Bladefall, the only thing Bladefall is needed for on bosses is casting as many blades as fast as possible and that's what Spell Echo does better than anything else.

Took a bit longer than I expected to make serviceable code, but here it is anyway.

Code:
import random

def blades_per_second(spell_echo, spell_cascade, woke_spell_cascade):
    casts = 1000000
    cast_time = float(casts) * (1.0 + 1.0 * spell_echo) / (1.0 + 0.7 * spell_echo)
    lingering_blades = 0
    total_blades_added = 0
    blades_per_cast = 5
    if spell_echo:
        blades_per_cast *= 2
    if spell_cascade:
        blades_per_cast *= 3
    if woke_spell_cascade:
        blades_per_cast *= 5
    for _ in xrange(casts):
        # cast bladefall
        effective_blades_added = min(lingering_blades + blades_per_cast, 40) - lingering_blades
        total_blades_added += effective_blades_added
        lingering_blades += effective_blades_added
        # maybe cast blade blast
        if random.randint(0, 100) >= 50:
            lingering_blades = 0
    return float(total_blades_added)/cast_time
print 'For simplicity, 1 cast is 1 second without spell echo'
print
print 'Gems: \t\t\t\t\tBlades/s'
print 'None: \t\t\t\t\t', blades_per_second(spell_echo=False, spell_cascade=False, woke_spell_cascade=False)
print 'Spell cascade: \t\t\t\t', blades_per_second(spell_echo=False, spell_cascade=True, woke_spell_cascade=False)
print 'Woke spell cascade: \t\t\t', blades_per_second(spell_echo=False, spell_cascade=False, woke_spell_cascade=True)
print 'Spell echo: \t\t\t\t', blades_per_second(spell_echo=True, spell_cascade=False, woke_spell_cascade=False)
print 'Spell echo, spell cascade: \t\t', blades_per_second(spell_echo=True, spell_cascade=True, woke_spell_cascade=True)
print 'Spell echo, woke spell cascade: \t', blades_per_second(spell_echo=True, spell_cascade=False, woke_spell_cascade=True)

Code:
For simplicity, 1 cast is 1 second without spell echo

Gems:                                   Blades/s
None:                                   4.98147
Spell cascade:                          12.558
Woke spell cascade:                     16.38273
Spell echo:                             7.989456
Spell echo, spell cascade:              17.18513
Spell echo, woke spell cascade:         17.205802

Wouldn't mind a second set of eyes. But, if I'm correct, Spell Cascade -> Spell Echo + Spell Cascade makes Spell Echo only a ~1.35 multiplier. This may infact still be your best 6th link since you aren't running phantasms. I guess the point of all of this is be aware of its true efficacy.

Perhaps even more surprising is that it makes woke spell cascade upgrade with spell echo completely useless(on single target). Perhaps even a detriment if lingering blades that would hit the target are overwritten by blades that won't before they can be detonated(i.e. the cast sites woke spell cascade adds are worse for bladefall/blade blast).

Last edited:

Xevy

Log Wizard
Did all Conqs tonight (81,81, 82,81 unfortunately) and deathless A8 which dropped an Awakener orb. I'll do a highlight and post it here tonight or tomorrow.

Edit: Here it is.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
^ I might try this after my VD crit build. I cannot figure out the obsession with EO. You can get 80% of the defenses and nearly 3x the dps if you go crit....

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Popular league starter and meta slaves is my guess. I'm guess 95+ percent of those players weren't planning on investing much or just copied a certain hardcore streamer.

Trying to categorize builds that chain clear screens via pops so I can decide which one I want to play with my meager amount of exalts:
  • Inpulsa + HoI + cold to lightning conversion + maybe Elementalist(for guaranteed shock)
  • 2 Obliteration wands
  • Profane bloom + global curse on hit
  • Explodey chest + maybe phys conversion
These have a restriction to their chaining due to needing corpses:
  • Inpulsa + Storm's Gift
  • Asenath's Gentle Touch + HoA or HoI
Am I missing anything? Only one that seems cheap is Obliteration wands, and I'm not a huge fan of Blade Vortex.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What crafts do people save? Targeted annuls, targeted slams, targeted annuls+slams...anything else? Remove "not this" and slam "this" does not seems worthwhile, when would you use this?

Willy T

Trakanon Raider
I decided to give the double or nothing div card option a go with 4 Doctors and if I hit it I would continue with the league but if not I'd quit. Unfortunately, it only returned 1 card so I'm done with the league. I left probably 20-30ex worth of shit in tab 8 in the guild bank. Good luck!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What crafts do people save? Targeted annuls, targeted slams, targeted annuls+slams...anything else? Remove "not this" and slam "this" does not seems worthwhile, when would you use this?
Remove non-X and slam X is useful when you can ensure the non-X is one particular thing you don't want, especially when it's something that doesn't have a tag you can normally work on (or no tag at all). You can force it to do only prefixes or only suffixes if the 'slam X' has nothing available on one or the other.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Remove non-X and slam X is useful when you can ensure the non-X is one particular thing you don't want, especially when it's something that doesn't have a tag you can normally work on (or no tag at all). You can force it to do only prefixes or only suffixes if the 'slam X' has nothing available on one or the other.
How often does that happen? I'm trying to think of a common craft where it would be worth taking up a slot in a horti. Element-themed weapons?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
How often does that happen? I'm trying to think of a common craft where it would be worth taking up a slot in a horti. Element-themed weapons?
Depends on the item and the affix type(s) you're dealing with. Sometimes there's nothing you can do but gamble, sometimes you can set up a sure thing.

shows one specific example, but there's lots of ways to do it.

But yeah, annul and slam seems super common, both x/x and non-x/x, so I probably wouldn't use up a horti slot on them if there was anything more rare or valuable to put there instead.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Depends on the item and the affix type(s) you're dealing with. Sometimes there's nothing you can do but gamble, sometimes you can set up a sure thing.

shows one specific example, but there's lots of ways to do it.

But yeah, annul and slam seems super common, both x/x and non-x/x, so I probably wouldn't use up a horti slot on them if there was anything more rare or valuable to put there instead.
Thanks.

What have you been save instead? I thought x/x would be worth saving. I'm just getting into crafting now(rerolled a bunch of times...), bought a 6L White Crusader Astral Plate and want to make an explodey chest. So, I don't know what's worth saving beyond the scope of this specific project.