Path of Exile

Xevy

Log Wizard
I don't press any flasks but my characters are EB/Blood Magic so I don't need a mana flask. I do occasionally hit my diamond as it is "on full charges" and tougher fights it may not refresh. The adjacent flask enchant is good because you can piggyback a well rolled flask. They really should put in a recipe for the flask orbs. I don't think most people thought there'd be 12 or whatever flask enchants instead of like 5. Orbs are probably a bit rarer than an alchemy orb, but more common than a chaos.

The dps nerf is real this league for sure. Checking PoE Ninja there's only a handful of people with the 5m+ dps most Meta Marks would be able to get with less than 10 ex. This is definitely a great league to learn boss mechanics. Thats what all those ssfhc people have been doing as their builds have almost always been around 1-2m dps, which is still very attainable for most builds in the early end game.

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'll admit that i was too optimistic about the enkindling/instilling orbs. In practice it sucks.

League feels pretty dead. I think it's a pretty decent league mechanic so it's a bit of a shame.

Been chasing ailment immunity on my chest from aisling so that goal has personally kept me going for a bit but i failed that 50/50 chance twice and because it's a pretty dead league it's killing the urge to keep going.

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
I run my same flask macro I always have. There's less charges, but once you're doing like red maps the density is such that it's barely noticeable anymore.

Flasks are like 90% uptime instead of 100%, and are weaker in general, but the gameplay is the same for me. I ain't strategically pressing shit.

That was my experience in red maps as well. Then again, I haven't had enough of the flask orbs to try to roll the setup I want.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
"You know, I've got too many of these Heat, Staunching, and Warding beast crafts" said no one ever. I really hope they didn't design those orbs, which ended up obfuscating QoL, so that they maintained price longer into the league.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
That was my experience in red maps as well. Then again, I haven't had enough of the flask orbs to try to roll the setup I want.

I have no idea what the orb triggers even all are heh. I suppose having freeze immunity on like a granite or something would be nice if it autotriggers on getting frozen?

Not sure there's a way to automate my quicksilver that would feel good though, and I want as much uptime as I can get on my diamond/sulfur anyway so no reason not to just keep them in the macro since it's basically automated already due to the muscle memory of using it for so many years.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>

Use on travel skill maybe. I never put my quicksilver in my flask macro, got used to pushing it manually between packs.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Not really a crafting league per say, but you really have to craft to get where you want to go. At least so far.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Rog feels like all their other crafting(except OG Harvest) activities. Time to success is unknown, so it's very hard for your subconscious to trick itself into thinking it's worth your time in a per-interaction unit. This problem plagues trading too(how many people am I going to have to message to get this item? how many times am I going to have to buy this item?). Even mapping has that problem, but that's ok because you're killing shit.

By making it a major facet of the league mechanic, they make you feel bad for not trying to solve the puzzle. So, you end up with a large chunk of the playerbase that has written off crafting feeling bad for engaging with Gwennen and Rog but also feeling bad for liquidating half the league's currency. And to be fair, Tujen is not fun, he's a thinly-veiled timesink.

What do you do to solve this? Don't say BoP crafting, that's essentially what Harvest was(mechanically) and the playerbase found a way around that. Probably to such an annoying degree that GGG won't consider that for at least a while.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
And let me try to address a typical response. If crafting gear not for your character(i.e. selling it to others) becomes a non-insignificant way to advance your character(i.e. you use your proceeds to then buy the gear you need), said crafting system is broken. The only reason that's profitable is because the system is obfuscated and/or unpleasant that enough players refuse to engage in it.

This game needs a viable SSF badly.

Also, performance got worse, again, somehow. Despite not having changed my computer in a last few years, I'm now the asshole that loads into others hideouts with the trade window accept already popped up. I really want to buy that Egyptian MTX, but they get nothing until they learn how to code. Texture streaming has been a mistake for almost a year now.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
The problem is the same as always. If trade exists, it's going to be a better, possibly the best way to advance. I don't expect POE or POE2 to ever have two rulesets for SSF and trade, either.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
The problem is the same as always. If trade exists, it's going to be a better, possibly the best way to advance. I don't expect POE or POE2 to ever have two rulesets for SSF and trade, either.

GGG has said before that they base their game around the ability to trade.....so why do they leave trade in such a broken state? This is the single biggest turn off for me and the reason I have stopped playing despite loving the game. I will not play again until they make meaningful progress towards crafting that is accessible to everyone or trade that is not less fun than slamming my dick in a door.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
And let me try to address a typical response. If crafting gear not for your character(i.e. selling it to others) becomes a non-insignificant way to advance your character(i.e. you use your proceeds to then buy the gear you need), said crafting system is broken. The only reason that's profitable is because the system is obfuscated and/or unpleasant that enough players refuse to engage in it.

This game needs a viable SSF badly.

Also, performance got worse, again, somehow. Despite not having changed my computer in a last few years, I'm now the asshole that loads into others hideouts with the trade window accept already popped up. I really want to buy that Egyptian MTX, but they get nothing until they learn how to code. Texture streaming has been a mistake for almost a year now.

SSF is so, so close right now. Fusings are the last thing keeping me from doing it, and that sounds like it's changing with PoE2 anyway? But at the same time the way they merged all uniques in to one mega drop pool feels like a step backwards for having SSF be viable for the general audience of the game. Good luck if you want to play a build with a guardian drop or whatever now.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Unrelated: Instilling Orbs are mega gay. I'll give credit to those people that predicted this. I decided to wait, but they were 100% correct. Getting the right prefix on a flask is annoying. If you want a non-Beastcraft suffix, you can easily be into yellow or even red tier maps before your flasks are situated. Now you add on another 1/16 dimension with an Instilling Orb. Collect some while you level to maps? IDK if they can't drop before maps, but I sure didn't get any. I'm at yellows and 60 atlas bonus and I don't have near enough to trigger the mods I want.

TarkeCat is doing this as sort of a joke, but I'm thinking of doing it anyway. Life flask with staunching, life flask with heat, 3 Alchemist Quicksilvers of Adrenaline with Enkindling Orbs(1/5, not 1/16!) for increased effect. I've definitely missed the movement speed from old quicksilver and Onslaught on kill from an abyss jewel, so that will help there.

What I haven't been able to figure out is when they want us to proactively press a utility flask. I either automate them away with Instilling Orb triggers, or I wait for the obvious burn window on a boss. But while clearing a map? So until you've got the bulk alts, baubles, and orbs to correctly setup your flasks, utility flasks feel like dead weight.

Really wish you could trigger on full charges an enduring mana flask. Any build that cannot solve its mana issues without an enduring mana flask is going to feel super janky. I played for a few hours last night and pressing that flask every ~5s just would not happen. Know what did? Not being able to flame dash because I was out of mana. Then pressing the flask happened.
I'm now doing low life ivory tower since I figured out you could put either "use when you use an adjacent flask" or "use when you use a life flask" on a sorrow of the divine and essentially have huge instant burst healing available for an energy shield build that normally can't get it.

• 1Like

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
GGG has said before that they base their game around the ability to trade.....so why do they leave trade in such a broken state? This is the single biggest turn off for me and the reason I have stopped playing despite loving the game. I will not play again until they make meaningful progress towards crafting that is accessible to everyone or trade that is not less fun than slamming my dick in a door.

In theory I like trading in games like this, going back to the old Diablos, but I think internet globalism has killed it. D2 was just a different era (and even that had trade sites becoming important).

But now? Any kind of trade, even one with obstacles like small stash (10 crafts), uncertain results, and based on trust like Harvest trading was, instantly becomes a massively superior way to grow your character power, to the point that you hamstring yourself by not participating. Then, if the company balances based on trade, opting out is a difficult prospect. If it balances based on SSF, trading shortens progression to a matter of days.

I'm definitely ready for a SSF-based arpg. I don't think POE will ever go there, LE won't either apparently, and I don't expect D4 to amount to anything at all. So there's nothing on the horizon to look forward to.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
SSF is so, so close right now. Fusings are the last thing keeping me from doing it, and that sounds like it's changing with PoE2 anyway? But at the same time the way they merged all uniques in to one mega drop pool feels like a step backwards for having SSF be viable for the general audience of the game. Good luck if you want to play a build with a guardian drop or whatever now.
Build-enabling uniques.

It's really fascinating(and disturbing from a longterm perspective) just how much the game relies on the inherent ubiquity of everything being tradeable. Think of the builds, items, and content you couldn't do or really struggle to even do once in a league without trade.

I'm starting to think it's a design crutch and space inhibitor that puts severe limitations on allowing them to create fun content. Think what they could have done with recent leagues without trade. Believe it or not, I wrote that last sentence without thinking of Harvest.

• 1Like

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm now doing low life ivory tower since I figured out you could put either "use when you use an adjacent flask" or "use when you use a life flask" on a sorrow of the divine and essentially have huge instant burst healing available for an energy shield build that normally can't get it.

Any clue how that works with Forbidden taste? Would you gain 75-100% of your energy shield or just 75-100% of whatever your HP pool is?

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Any clue how that works with Forbidden taste? Would you gain 75-100% of your energy shield or just 75-100% of whatever your HP pool is?
It's 75-100% of your HP pool and the degen hits your mana, it's not great unless you've managed really high chaos resist. Also Forbidden Taste is technically not a life flask so you have to roll the adjacent mod.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Build-enabling uniques.

It's really fascinating(and disturbing from a longterm perspective) just how much the game relies on the inherent ubiquity of everything being tradeable. Think of the builds, items, and content you couldn't do or really struggle to even do once in a league without trade.

I'm starting to think it's a design crutch and space inhibitor that puts severe limitations on allowing them to create fun content. Think what they could have done with recent leagues without trade. Believe it or not, I wrote that last sentence without thinking of Harvest.

Yea all the shards or whatever for the vendors in this mechanic being tradeable just seems like a mistake to me? I don't know positives it even brings to the game, honestly. Are people really saving up stacks of thousands of Rog shards or whatever and trying to bulk sell them?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yea all the shards or whatever for the vendors in this mechanic being tradeable just seems like a mistake to me? I don't know positives it even brings to the game, honestly. Are people really saving up stacks of thousands of Rog shards or whatever and trying to bulk sell them?
I was checking market prices this morning to see if it was worth it to do exactly that. The sample size indicated that no, people are not doing that with Rog and Gwennen. There does seem to be a market for Dannig and Tujen currency, unsuprisingly.