Path of Exile

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
I think this league has been awesome! The league mechanic not so much. If they had the drops be stackable in your window up to 10 or something, it would fix almost every issue I have with it I think. As is I just kind of treat it like a nice bonus that I work on while doing other objectives and not think about too hard.

I did build up to getting Innocence + Kitava + Brine King + Mirror Image though, and got my first exalt drop... along with maybe 2 divines and like 19 chaos and random change. I didn't juice the map I did it on much though, so eh? I watched a subtractem vid where he got similar results WITH a fairly juiced up map though so maybe it doesn't matter much? Probably just random. I mostly just did it for completion's sake, not as some grand objective to get rich or whatever. I think other stuff like temp bubble + currency stuff is likely way more efficient, and even that depends on market conditions for stuff like expedition books and scarabs and whatnot.

The rest though? Map streamlining: A+. New bosses and currency and implicits: A. Playing with atlas passives to suit your playstyle: A+.

The main downside to the game I think at this point is there is SOOO much to do it's just daunting unless it's your job. If they could consolidate some more of the old content into other old content I think it would help with that. Like they just did with prophecy. Bestiary and abyss come to mind... like combine abyss with delve maybe as it's kind of conceptually the same thing? Combine bestiary with... something?

It's not that that old content is bad. Maybe this is just a personal or mental thing on my part, but having to compartmentalize so many things to get specific rewards that are needed at end game rather than having them be more streamlined with the main areas of endgame is a significant contributor to seeing POE endgame as a vertical cliff rather than climbable mountain. IE: it's less a tangible issue and more a perception issue, IMO.

Xevy

Log Wizard
The leagues now aren't bad. They just give us too much too quickly. I got my super duper 35m dps character in two weeks time. No other character outside some mirror cheez dick build is going to feel that good, so it makes alts feel good until they get to "hard" content where I can't just delete a boss. This is EXACTLY what happens when you capitulate to the most casual denominator. For them, it feels good, but these are the same people who probably switched to Elden Ring and Lost Ark as soon as those dropped and won't necessarily come back. The degen grinders just got everything immediately and now we're holding our dicks in our hands with 50ex+ with no goals that aren't achieved. They picked a player base to satisfy and probably the right one, but it just sucks at the other end. Each league they give us more and more power and I and my friends play less and less to achieve the same status. This was one of the few grind games left, but it's getting much less so. Hopefully they're making good money from this at least.

I think if you asked most PoE players they'd say this was the best league ever to date. But then when you look at 1 month retention, it might be the worst we've seen in a while. They're giving the people they want, but it doesn't do shit for retention. Not sure that matters in the long run if they make all their MTX and stash sales early, as people rarely jump into a league a month+ out.

Well if anyone wants to know how to farm Headhunters now and you're really poopsocking, I figured it out a while ago, but we never employed it because none of us really give a shit.

New character
Complete atlas except burial mounds (never kill the boss)
Buy 1000 explorer reports
Roll until "find the stack deck of cards" mission
Run the map except the boss. Very easy considering the boss is in a separate wing.
Congrats on finding your 8/8 Doctors.

Don't think it's a guaranteed thing, but it is more heavily weighted to pull from cards unique to areas. You can double up with Spider Forest as well to do the same thing. The real kick in the dick is you can't 'unlearn' maps anymore so you'd definitely need a fresh account which you can then easily bankroll with a previous account.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Kinda feels like they've given up on this league too. Has GGG had two clunker leagues in a row?

Perhaps related: I've found myself spending a non-insignificant amount of time leveling builds only to eventually remind myself of an aspect of the build that ruins it for me. This is after gearing for maps, of course. I need to start writing this shit down.

I don't like slow builds because they get you killed for standing in place for too long.
I don't like (too) fast builds because they don't mesh well with stutter step playstyle. The right click becomes too weak to kill a pack until you way overgear.
I don't like minions because they dum.
I don't like (precise) aiming.
I don't like gem swapping for bosses.
I don't like builds with separate clearing and bossing skills because the clear skill is often pathetically weak that it can't kill chunky rares.
I don't like 1-2 combo builds unless the combo is only required on bosses.
I don't like builds that require looking at the UI. Call of Steel is an example of this. Builds that try to cheat another dps aura via divine blessing support is a recent example of this.

Am I old man PoE player? Or is PoE still a good game in spite of GGG?

Everything you described has NOTHING to do with gameplay, and EVERYTHING to do with very basic QOL fixes outside of your things specific about builds themselves.

This is the biggest problem with PoE, is that GGG has constantly proven that quality of life is the same thing as difficulty. That's such a 1990s way of gaming.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Things are much cheaper on my champ/cyclone build. Bought a 1ex weapon and doubled my dps lol. I was doing tier 16 maps on my LS character but I pretty much topped out which was fine with me, not really into endgame stuff. I may sell my claw and just abandon it. Paid about 35c for it and now similar and same dps on PoB are 2ex+.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I can understand the zoomy boys being out of things to do and I get the casuals bailing for New Hot Thing but speaking as someone more in the middle the league feels too good. I want to really get my fill because I don't think a lot of this is going to stick around. Sweet Atlas passive tree, Push Button for Piles of Influenced Juice and fancy implicits galore are all great.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I’ve enjoyed the league but I’m barely scratched endgame due to my current job commitments. The actually mechanic is dogshit. Why are “organs” not fucking tradable?!

No way these atlas passives don’t get gutted. The new amulets will get gutted. And melee still pretty sucks outside of LS (I’ll finally try it this league) and cyclone that is still mostly a trigger.

Also I find expedition and heist are just too fucking clunky. They need to spice up the temple too. Game is just showing it’s age and needs competition badly.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Ya, some of us don't have the time we used to. Hell I'm not really in red maps yet (up to T8-T11 really). Its all just perspective on how much time you have to plug into it, but the ability to target the content you personally enjoy with the atlas passives is the A#1 best thing they could have done. I suck at blight and probably fail over half of the maps I attempt but I still enjoy trying to do it and I have no idea why.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
The rest though? Map streamlining: A+. New bosses and currency and implicits: A. Playing with atlas passives to suit your playstyle: A+.

The main downside to the game I think at this point is there is SOOO much to do it's just daunting unless it's your job. If they could consolidate some more of the old content into other old content I think it would help with that. Like they just did with prophecy. Bestiary and abyss come to mind... like combine abyss with delve maybe as it's kind of conceptually the same thing? Combine bestiary with... something?

This plus plus.

Also, the fundamental flaw in the new league is the limited inventory space. You run a game for 100 tab hoarders and then introduce a league where you cannot store 2 of every drop. Not cool, man, not cool. I have three recipes left - and they were all bottlenecked by Empowering Minions recipe and Frenzied drops for me (for Executioner) - Solaris, Lunaris, and then whatever big baddie you make with the 4 boss combo.

But the new Atlas and the Atlas passive tree is amazing. Even as a scrub I have easily obtained and completed every normal map in the tree (except Vaal Temple - is that a "normal map"? Fuck that map lol), and now I am rerolling Kirac missions to try and get as many unique maps as I can (while buying up all his T14+ maps each time his inventory resets).

I have collected a bunch of guardian et al maps from Kirac but I am casually doing all the old Blight and Delirium maps I had drop and getting to level 94 before I start yoloing harder stuff. I have not even gone back and done normal Atziri after passing the plateau this build hit a while ago. It is still not remotely optimized but, as per usual, I am probably too lazy to do it to clear much harder content.

Again, as you elucidated, this game is NOT for newbies, just too much to learn. I am just about to hit Act 4 with my son, and trying to slowly show him the ropes is frustrating, because I keep thinking of all the shit we have to do for him that I do instinctively - stat min/max, resist min/max, gem set ups as you acquire skills, gem leveling, jewel rolling, mana management, aura management, life min/max, defense min/max, passive tree, ascension.

It also comes down to knowing the Acts. I know where every door in every area is aside from that fucking Vaal zone in Act 3. I cannot imagine a newbie clearing entire zones looking for the entrance to the next area. Crossroads? Riverways? Bitch, please, I am sure Riverways makes 99% of newbies quit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok I tried to rip a build off poe.ninja, it must be a viable build because like half the people with Aegis aurora are playing it. Basically what they all do is slot grace in a March of the legion, so you can use the aura without reserving mana, plus u get the +5 levels from the boots , and then you ramp that by boosting grace in multiple ways.
Problem that I run into - even with the support gems decreasing mana use, grace requires a ridiculous amount of mana to case when in those boots - to the point where I absolutely cannot figure out a way to free up enough mana to cast it. Pob won’t work properly with blessing support so I wasn’t able to see this beforehand. Is there some magic trick I’m not seeing to be able to cast it mana free? Only thing I can think of is Vaal clarity but that wouldn’t be reliable enough for keeping grace up

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Grace plus Aegis Aurora is anti synergy, are you sure you have the build right?

They might be supporting the aura with lifetap.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
No it’s a common build at the moment, it converts all the evasion from grace to armour with iron reflexes. It’s actually been around a few leagues, utilizes the replica dreamfeather to them ramp attack dmg and stacks armor etc. the big diff now is the melding of the flesh jewel which works great with doryanis and also makes hitting 90 res in fire/cold way easier.

so it’s a ci/es build and can’t do lifetap. It looks like people use reduced mana cost flasks to be able to use the grace but damn that feels clunky

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Divine Blessing itself is clunky. Imagine having to look at your flasks to know whether you should press them instead of just intuiting it's been a few seconds and I've killed enough to press my flask macro. It has a cast time too so you can't freely press it. I'll stop now so I don't trigger AladainAF AladainAF again.

Smite and Doryani's looks interesting. Too bad it's aura stacking and will be expensive as fuck.

Borzak

Divine blessing was bugged in a major way for a couple of weeks, sure the builds weren't from then? I could run grace, and anger for the price of just grace so anger was no mana.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Divine blessing was bugged in a major way for a couple of weeks, sure the builds weren't from then? I could run grace, and anger for the price of just grace so anger was no mana.
Are you sure that wasn't Pride and Eternal Blessing?

That cap only applies to leech.

Last edited:

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think with reduced mana cost of skills craft on both rings it might be doable without flask piano, not sure though. Not sure what % it is on rings

Borzak

Are you sure that wasn't Pride and Eternal Blessing?

That cap only applies to leech.

Yeah probably so, it was majorily bugged for almost two weeks before they finally patched it. If they were linked it worked like the description said, if not linked you got to double dip.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also, the fundamental flaw in the new league is the limited inventory space. You run a game for 100 tab hoarders and then introduce a league where you cannot store 2 of every drop. Not cool, man, not cool. I have three recipes left - and they were all bottlenecked by Empowering Minions recipe and Frenzied drops for me (for Executioner) - Solaris, Lunaris, and then whatever big baddie you make with the 4 boss combo.

For Frenzied to drop the mobs need to be acting quicker than normal. The best option being just general map hasted mods, the 'fleet' mod. That will open up a drop chance from every mob in the map. Other options include generating frenzy charges somehow, boss hasted mods, haste aura's from rare mobs, etc.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Hmm, here's a concept that might be interesting: Phantasmal Arc stun build. Phantasmal arc + ashes of the stars = 50% reduced enemy stun threshold by itself. Maybe add the paralysis cluster node (10%), stun support gem if you REALLY want to commit to it, a sceptre with REST implicit, a belt with REST from essences (17%)... Maybe use an archmage-based setup to get some really big hits going? Not sure if that's been too nerfed to still use though.

Advantages: you wouldn't have to go into cold conversion to get a lot of the benefit of cold damage which is freezing enemies. So higher DPS with similar utility, in theory.
Disadvantages: who knows if you could get enough stun duration to still make it viable as a freeze alternative and not have to commit too hard on gear to gimp the rest of your build.

Apologies if this was brought up before and I missed it.