Path of Exile

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
came back to this game after a gigantic hiatus. They have definitely come along pretty far. My only complaint is the blantant ripping of D2. Its not bad, but I really wish they would of gone for at the very least a more cleaned up version of it. Not a game I'll sink tons of time into, but its good enough to scratch the ocassional arpg itch.
Yeah, PoE is my go-to game for the past year when there isn't something new to play at the moment. Played GTA5 for a couple weeks, then back to PoE while waiting on Assassins Creed 4, now playing AC4 but I'm sure I'll be back to PoE again in a few weeks once I'm through with that. It's kind of fun playing that way, because they constantly change and add so much, that if you take a few weeks or a month off, there's always something new to see when you come back.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
came back to this game after a gigantic hiatus. They have definitely come along pretty far. My only complaint is the blantant ripping of D2. Its not bad, but I really wish they would of gone for at the very least a more cleaned up version of it. Not a game I'll sink tons of time into, but its good enough to scratch the ocassional arpg itch.
I played and loved D2 so I'm not sure ripping off of it is a bad thing but even taking that as a given I'm not sure the above statement is correct. POE's skill tree and gem system alone are far and away different from d2 nevermind the total lack of a coin currency and that's just the biggest and most obvious differences. I could talk about races which D2 didn't have or cosmetic items, or end game maps with the ability to be upgraded or POE's total lack of sets, and so on and on.

I feel like POE has done a fine job of defining themselves in this genre.

Pironin_sl

shitlord
I've found myself not wanting to keep starting over. I've died like 25 times or so in Nemesis and I mostly just stick with standard after that. But I feel like making a new character in standard is lame. What do I do?
frown.png

Nulolan

N00b
If anyone decides to start on domination I'm sure I have some shit in the bank I can give away to help you get started. Just look up Nulolanx have a good bit of gems and unique's collecting dust.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I'm starting this up with some friends. I have very little ARPG experience. Some D2 back in the day, but not much. Anyone suggest something simple build wise to start out with?

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
yo someone make a fucking guild already
Just created a guild named Rerolled. Send tells ingame for invites.
Nothing serious, no commitments. It'll mostly just serve as a chat channel for us to communicate and put some groups together. I got a stash tab (not sure if it's nemesis only or all leagues).

IGN: Rhygerian.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
If anyone decides to start on domination I'm sure I have some shit in the bank I can give away to help you get started. Just look up Nulolanx have a good bit of gems and unique's rcollecting dust.
I'm on domination. I have a level 33 Spectral throw scion.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I played for an hour or so

so how does this game work? Does it become any hard at some point, because in the beginning it feels like unlimited potions kinda make this "left click to progress"

and how much "multi" player is it actually? I assume it's kinda like guild wars worldwise, shared peace hubs and everything combat related is instanced?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It's a diablo-like, not a mmo, so yeah it's instanced. You can play up to 6 in instances, and town instances are semi shared like GW. As for difficulty, it picks up in act3 and starts getting more serious as you climb the difficulties(similar to diablo, finishing the game on normal unlocks the next difficulty, cruel etc). Potions aren't infinite, they simply recharge when you kill. Generally not the issue though, and more the fact they're not instant. You can roll them to be instant but they heal significantly less so you can more easily run out.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So do people actually group later on or do you just solo through the content? I assume there are no idiotic penalties for grouping like in Diablo 3 1.0.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
There's pros and cons to partying. Monsters do get a health buff, but I believe it's less than 100% boost, so overall that's fine. There's bonuses from grouping to item drop and rarity, but it's less than double, and the drops are divided among the group, so you end up with less in the end. There's also some negatives in that monsters can only have one curse active (outside of uncommon builds), and most builds do not want the same curse, so it gets annoying to keep having your curse replaced. Auras are much better in a group if the members are using different auras.

Regardless of any of the above though, grouping is just way more fun, so you should when the option is available.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
I find the community to be a bit better than Diablo 3. People are mostly friendly, actually chat in parties and will leave loot for you if you need it, and are more than willing to help you out with any questions. Because of this, grouping is more fun than soloing. I find a full group of 6 has the problem of splitting up all the time making it hard to coordinate. When everyone's on the same page it's a blast though. Though I would recommend soloing the first difficulty if you want to know what's going on in the story because people will blast through everything at 1000mph.

Difficulty-wise, I'd say they have it about right. The first 2 difficulties are much more challenging than D3 Normal-Hell, but I find the third difficulty (merciless) to be a lot more accessible than vanilla Inferno. I checked out some builds online before I started so I didn't mess up too much. I hear some people gimp their characters and can't advance act 1 merciless, though. The exp penalty is a lot more punishing. 10% in merciless. When I first started I definitely lost more exp than gained. I know I lost an entire level of exp trying to kill the final boss on cruel difficulty.

My only complaint so far (ironically) is the trading system, though much better than D3's auction house. People just spam the trade channels with hoards of loot, so it's difficult to actually sell anything unless it's something everyone wants, like rare gems/orbs or uniques.

Currently a level 59 templar on domination. Add me if you'd like. Name is Xephonrah.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Kazoraa, 86 witch, on default -don't really play anymore but hit me up if you see me on and want any currency/gems/maps, I have tons of stuff

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I hear some people gimp their characters and can't advance act 1 merciless, though. The exp penalty is a lot more punishing. 10% in merciless. When I first started I definitely lost more exp than gained. I know I lost an entire level of exp trying to kill the final boss on cruel difficulty.
So their skill tree is horribly unbalanced? And at what point should I start actually giving a damn about the items I equip?

I just reached act 2.

Orbs of anything, use or save for now?

Elerion

N00b
The skill tree isn't unbalanced, it's just so big that you can easily mess up by not picking the right balance of damage/survivability, or missing out on powerful synergies. A character with lots of +good nodes will be okay, but it will never reach the potential of a well planned build that sets up the perfect synergies to match your choice of attack and defense skills.

In general, you want to dedicate the majority of your points in the passive tree to survivability. Damage scales well enough off skill gems and weapons, while survivability requires +HP/+ES/+mitigation nodes from the passive tree to reach acceptable levels.

The notable "gear checks" off the top of my head, in no-spoiler format:
- Mid Act 1: HP/Physical mitigation
- End Act 1: Cold resist
- End Act 2: Lightning resist, HP/Physical mitigation
- All Act 3: Lightning resist
- Early Act 3: Chaos resist
- Mid Act 3: Fire resist
- End Act 3: All elemental resists

On top of that, rare mobs can represent gear checks at any point. In all leagues, watch out for reflect aura mobs. In Nemesis, watch out for Corrupted Blood, Volatile Elementblood and certain combinations with Soul Eater or Fractured.

In general, Normal just requires HP and smart play, while the resist checks above become increasingly relevant for Cruel and Merciless. You probably want to get 75% all resists ASAP - physical damage is a lot more predictable and doesn't cause nasty status effects.

The game can be extremely bursty. If your character feels sort of vulnerable in non-extreme situations, you are almost certain to die when a you reach a particularly nasty boss or rare mob, unless you know exactly how to avoid the danger. For hardcore, you really should feel safe 99% of the time to have a build that can survive the outlier cases.

By the way, I HEAVILY recommend playing hardcore, specifically Nemesis. The game is an endless grind at high levels, which can be terribly boring in softcore. In hardcore, you'll find more excitement from your near-deaths, and the occasional death will let you return to what is imo the most fun part of the game - building a new character, with slightly more resources and knowledge than the last one.

If I was starting as a new player, I'd probably play softcore until you finish Cruel, just to get a feel for what is dangerous. Then abandon that character and move onto Nemesis. You can always return to the softcore character to practice bosses or whatever.

A final note: A lot of builds will NOT work well until you are high level and have specific passive skills, all support gems, and gear with plenty of links. For leveling 1-60, most people choose some basic skills to spam while building their passive tree towards their end game build. For instance, if you are planning on making a summoner, don't start packing your gear full of zombie/skeleton gems and expect to level fast. Summons require lots of support gems and passives to be good. Instead, put e.g. Freezing Pulse in a piece of gear, slap LMP, Faster Projectiles and Faster Attacks on it when you can, and level with that. Collect summoner gems, and transition somewhere in the 40-60 range.

Popular leveling skills:
Melee weapon based:
Leap Slam (Double Strike/Heavy Strike for single target)
Cleave (Double Strike/Heavy Strike for single target)
Ground Slam (Double Strike/Heavy Strike for single target)
Spectral Throw (Double Strike/Heavy Strike for single target)
Bow based:
Rain of Arrows (Frenzy for single target)
Lightning Arrow (Frenzy for single target)
Spell based:
Freezing Pulse (Bear trap for single target)
Fire Trap (Bear trap for single target)
...and I probably forgot some

Basically, if it works well at level 10, you can do it until level 50. If it doesn't, it probably requires a high level setup.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Ok so I'm gonna fire this game back up after not playing for about 6 months, problem is I forgot my account info so I'm going to be starting from scratch. What's a good starting over build that has decent survivability and decent damage (not to keen on a summoner build, they tend to be very boring)