Path of Exile

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
It will run like absolute shit without a decent graphics card. I can run it at a steady 60 fps on a 560, but some zones are pretty unplayable on an old 7950.
Thanks for the feedback, does it feel like the FAQ was just totally full of shit about it being playable on a laptop at all then? I mean, does the game have texture and/or lighting detail settings that can be turned down? Are "small" resolutions sceens (i.e. 1024 x 600 or 800 x 600) available? I appreciate your input, but I've also got portable computers in mind specifically.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Thanks for the feedback, does it feel like the FAQ was just totally full of shit about it being playable on a laptop at all then? I mean, does the game have texture and/or lighting detail settings that can be turned down? Are "small" resolutions sceens (i.e. 1024 x 600 or 800 x 600) available? I appreciate your input, but I've also got portable computers in mind specifically.
You can turn off some stuff, especially shadows which apparently are big on GPU, but don't know how it's gonna run though, there's some people playing it on laptops but there's quite a lot of difference between a "gaming" laptop and a normal one so don't know. You could just check to be honest, unless you're australian 4gb shouldn't be an issue, it might take a while if your connection is shit but it doesn't cost anything.

gryphawk

Trakanon Raider
I signed up for beta access almost a year ago and they finally sent me an invite about a week ago. I'm still interested, but I'm not sure if it's going to be worth the time it takes to download the (4 gig) installer. I can see in the FAQ that they're pretty vague about hardware requirements. They say that it runs on everyday laptops. They don't say what exactly they consider an everyday laptop though.

tl;dr: Has anyone found PoE to be playable on a shitty laptop, and if so, what were your system specs?
5870 card, 4gb ram, ssd, and black edition 970 at 3.8ghz. Runs like a dream at 1080 res (nearly completed act2), shadows turned off, a they look shite. No idea what laptop specs that comes near, but should give an idea.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
There are many builds that can level quickly, a ground slam marauder has a slight edge early on, but other builds compete with it.

You are level 25 in 6 hours because you just got the game and probably played through the zones sequentially. Levelling fast requires knowledge and practice. You run straight through some zones to arrive under levelled at the good zones (xp/minute) and run those ones several times (ctrl click to reset instance). You dont waste time looting etc, as you only need a few key items.

I am not even good at levelling fast, but I can get to 25 in two hours. Some people have been running these race events for a year, and they are very good at them.
Totally what I did for a first run through.

I can see the min/maxing for xp. Even a little run speed and you can jam through any area without trouble. Hopefully I can figure out a couple things to feel comfortable competing in a ladder race. Is 1-50 rushable?

Flank_sl

shitlord
You wont get playable performance on a shitty card just by turning down the ingame options. Most of the act 1 zones might be okay, but when you get into the forst you will go down to <5 fps or worse. Depending on your graphics chip you might be able to really turn down the graphics in your driver software, but even then I would not bother on a machine without a decent graphics card.

Flank_sl

shitlord
There is some info around about the best way to do it. There is even a google spreadsheet somewhere detailing average zone xp per minute. You can rush until you outlevel the Ledge in merciless. I find act 2 merciless a bit hard to rush, so I would just do felshrine instead in merciless.

You're super fast xp zones are the Ledge and Western Forest. Felshrine is easy but not as fast. You ideally want to hit a good zone when you wont get an xp penalty there.

XP penalty and drop rate penalty are different. For xp it is 3 + (yourlevel / 16). So at level 16 it is 4, at level 32 it is 5, etc. Drop penalty tends to just be within 2 levels of you.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
What's the over/under on how many of the guys in Kripp's group of six will die before the week is up?
Well one of them died already. Thing though is in a one week race, it's not a big deal if you die unless you die in the last ~3days or so. Other than that you have plenty of time to reroll and if you banked some stuff it'll go faster. I learned a few things about how to level faster, skipping some zones, rushing more and stuff but the one thing I noticed is the game looks noticeably easier in a group than solo, especially the bosses. Merveil splitting her dmg all around the room makes a pretty big difference vs having to face tank her attacks, even with 75%cold resist. Unless you have freeze immunity it's a pretty shitty fight.

Flank_sl

shitlord
Kripp's group wont even get close to winning. Panda will win (if he races), followed by Mouze. There are a few others that usually do well. Kripp is still new at this game, and there are dozens of guys with a lot more practice.

I did not go for this race as it was a 3am start on christmas eve for me. Also, I am waiting for act 3 since they ruined the alch recipe (and act 3 has an alch vendor).

Meh, I just checked the list and none of the usual suspects are racing.

atalakas

who all is playing this? we should get a group of people together and just.. run through see how far and what we can do, not the race but just either normal or a HC toons

Budos

who all is playing this? we should get a group of people together and just.. run through see how far and what we can do, not the race but just either normal or a HC toons
I'm definitely down to run with some bros, but I'm still in the learning phase. Spent a while digesting the wiki info last night to get a better grip on things; watched some streaming of the race last night as well.

I'd like to do some practice runs if anyone else is interested.

Crazily

N00b
Kripp's group wont even get close to winning. Panda will win (if he races), followed by Mouze. There are a few others that usually do well. Kripp is still new at this game, and there are dozens of guys with a lot more practice.

I did not go for this race as it was a 3am start on christmas eve for me. Also, I am waiting for act 3 since they ruined the alch recipe (and act 3 has an alch vendor).

Meh, I just checked the list and none of the usual suspects are racing.
Have to disagree....there might be folks that have been playing for a long time but Kripp has played this game for 8 hours a day for the last 2 weeks straight. Leveled multiple 60+ characters and theory-crafted the shit out of this game. Pretty sure he has a great shot at winning.

Currently he's #1 by a few levels......shrug

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Couple questions about the racing strategies.

Are the racing builds effective for really late game play, like 80+? Or do they build racing characters to be effective early and mid game, but not for end game?

Also, is there a forum/post/website that highlights some of areas to level in that are most effective? I was looking on the POE forums and reddit but there is either not a lot of info or I missed where it was being talked about. I could understand if some of the best information is hush hush but I was more or less just looking for a general place to start.

Flank_sl

shitlord
Meh, Kripp got to level 61 on day 1, that is pretty good. It isn't the best I have seen, though. The guys who usually win these things are pretty crazy, they theorycrafted it to the extreme that they install the game on ramdisks (virtual partitions in memory) for faster load times, etc. Still, 61 is in the right ballpark on day 1. Highest I recall seeing in 1 week is level 81, so we will see how Kripp compares.

Don't worry about builds losing effectiveness. My standard builds do massive respecs at higher levels. You can just go run all the sidequests quickly for 16 respec points, trae in some chances for regrets etc.

Edit: the grind kicks in around 78 btw. If you save up enough good maps you can put it off to 79, but at that point levelling will really slow down, as you just cannot sustain good map drops.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They theorycrafted a team build I believe, he has like a wand templar with power siphon and conduit(gives power charges to every allies around) so I assume the other people in his group also do. As said though, you have rare drops Orbs of Regret that give you a full respec and you get a bunch of respec points if your spec isn't too bad and you can rework it with only a few removal, so it's no big deal. Because of that, it might be a good idea to dump heavily into defensive skills at first to get a good buffer for HC deaths, and then remove some of it if you don't need it anymore(for example life nodes before you take CI).

As for the zones to grind, based on what kripp was doing, it's The Ledge(the zone after the underground passage with a bunch of skeletons), West Forest(suicide zombies and whatever) and Fellshrine ruins(tons of slow moving undead). I'm not too sure why these specific ones are chosen besides Fellshrine which is obvious though, the Ledge doesn't seem particularly heavily populated and it kinda sucks if using a fire build(but then again most top builds aren't fire cause shock and freeze are better than burning) and West Forest doesn't make any particular sense, do suicide zombie mobs give xp when they die? I assumed only if you kill them, not if they suicide, which would be pretty shitty xp actually. Doesn't really look any better than Crossroads or hell Fellshrine which seems to be about the same lvl iirc.

Been playing a char in that race just for fun, made a summoner, leveling slowly but don't really care just wanna have fun, the great thing imo about PoE vs TL2 or D3 is that Hardcore isn't as punishing. If you die in HC, your character gets transferred to softcore instead of being deleted(granted in TL2 you can tinker with the save files and just cancel the death but that sucks). So even if you die to pure bullshit like desync/lag, your time investment isn't completely wasted, you can still play the char, just not in HC anymore. I really like this system.

atalakas

i was playing a new maruder this morning doing a 2h sword+ fire ele spec, and it was funny seeing someone go shit.. i died, or wtf why is there such noob chat... oh hell i died. Good times to watch global

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They theorycrafted a team build I believe, he has like a wand templar with power siphon and conduit(gives power charges to every allies around) so I assume the other people in his group also do. As said though, you have rare drops Orbs of Regret that give you a full respec and you get a bunch of respec points if your spec isn't too bad and you can rework it with only a few removal, so it's no big deal. Because of that, it might be a good idea to dump heavily into defensive skills at first to get a good buffer for HC deaths, and then remove some of it if you don't need it anymore(for example life nodes before you take CI).

As for the zones to grind, based on what kripp was doing, it's The Ledge(the zone after the underground passage with a bunch of skeletons), West Forest(suicide zombies and whatever) and Fellshrine ruins(tons of slow moving undead). I'm not too sure why these specific ones are chosen besides Fellshrine which is obvious though, the Ledge doesn't seem particularly heavily populated and it kinda sucks if using a fire build(but then again most top builds aren't fire cause shock and freeze are better than burning) and West Forest doesn't make any particular sense, do suicide zombie mobs give xp when they die? I assumed only if you kill them, not if they suicide, which would be pretty shitty xp actually. Doesn't really look any better than Crossroads or hell Fellshrine which seems to be about the same lvl iirc.

Been playing a char in that race just for fun, made a summoner, leveling slowly but don't really care just wanna have fun, the great thing imo about PoE vs TL2 or D3 is that Hardcore isn't as punishing. If you die in HC, your character gets transferred to softcore instead of being deleted(granted in TL2 you can tinker with the save files and just cancel the death but that sucks). So even if you die to pure bullshit like desync/lag, your time investment isn't completely wasted, you can still play the char, just not in HC anymore. I really like this system.
Ledge is super quick. a boss, bunch of elites. 1 path. pretty easy as long as that boss doesnt nuke you.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Ledge is super quick. a boss, bunch of elites. 1 path. pretty easy as long as that boss doesnt nuke you.
Actually most stuff I've watched they skip the boss, but he's pretty easy as a fire mage spamming firestorm on him. Rest isn't that much better than anything else I guess but the mobs move slowly and have fairly low hp, I watched Panda's 3hour run tutorial and he pretty much shit on Ledge mobs with Ground Slam, just I didn't really play anything but summoner and lightning mage so wasn't seeing much of a point in this over other zones. Also he explains that suicide mobs do give xp, that's why west forest is good that and it's high lvl and fairly dense population.

As a summoner though the spot doesn't really make a difference as long as it's not a place with those wolves that leave patches of fire when they die or goatmen because of the constant leap aoe. Luckily both are in the same zones, so other than that, it's about the same speed everywhere regardless, which isn't very quick but not atrociously slow either. It's very safe at least, I rarely even lose my ES even though I have shit resists, but the bosses can get challenging if they eat through your zombies and you have no corpses around.

I really hope they add a way to bind more skills though, hopefully the same system D2 used, where you press say F1 and it changes your right click to the skill you had hotkeyed to F1 and so on. That lets them keep the UI small and clear but lets you bind "rotating" skills easily like buffs and shit without cluttering your main bars. You can do it atm but manually, granted auras last forever pretty much but it's still annoying and you're limited to 8 actives(3 of which you can't bind, the mouse ones) and I've found that before you get massive links with lots of passives, you can actually use quite a lot of stuff.

Edit: It's still in beta until 20th something january. You don't "donate" money when you spend the 10$ though, you buy 10$ of F2P money to buy item store shit, and you get a beta key at the same time.