Path of Exile

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wow that is pretty awesome, thats usually how i level running and throwing fire traps. Going to have to level one up for now.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Wow that is pretty awesome, thats usually how i level running and throwing fire traps. Going to have to level one up for now.
Yep - swap to a +2 fire gems scepter with inc burning dmg fire trap usually does the trick for these types of cheesy situations.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Flameblast is also perfect for those bosses and mobs that like to get stuck around a corner. Inch up and find out where the circle of firey death will hit and a few pops later you collect the loot unharmed.

Venijk

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The deployment of 1.1.5d today (patch notes here) has started a one-month countdown to our next major content release - the upcoming expansion in August. We have some great teaser screenshots planned for the next week, leading up to the grand reveal of the expansion's name, theme, lore and features a week from now. We have a really full schedule of previews and updates over the next month, so remember to check the news every day!

The expansion will be released at 10am NZ time on Thursday, August 21.
Next mini-expansion is out in 28 days,News - Path of Exile - A Free Online Action RPG

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Damn, just died on the 1 month hardcore. Lvl 59, had just gotten to merciless, popped open a strongbox in the first zone, out pops the goddamned lightning trap throwing exile, and I'm dead in about 2 seconds flat. Yikes. Only had 59% lightning resist since going into merciless difficulty. Had a damn good spectral throw/lightning strike scion going. My lightning strike was at like 1800DPS, spectral throw 850DPS, and my heavy strike for bosses was at 2400DPS + 7% life leech, had 3100hp too. Oh well, guess I'l wait on the patch/expansion.

RiP K.C

Damn, just died on the 1 month hardcore. Lvl 59, had just gotten to merciless, popped open a strongbox in the first zone, out pops the goddamned lightning trap throwing exile, and I'm dead in about 2 seconds flat. Yikes. Only had 59% lightning resist since going into merciless difficulty. Had a damn good spectral throw/lightning strike scion going. My lightning strike was at like 1800DPS, spectral throw 850DPS, and my heavy strike for bosses was at 2400DPS + 7% life leech, had 3100hp too. Oh well, guess I'l wait on the patch/expansion.

Vitality

HUSTLE
RIP my man, gotta take those resists super serious especially transitioning into Merciless.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Apparently all of the top 10 deaths have been due to game bugs, the most recent one reports an invisible flameblast hitting him while he had flamibility curse.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I am going to finally give this a try. I am tired of Blizzard. I love Blizzard's interface and graphics but the game play has never really improved. The removal of trade and the lack of any real content having come out since RoS makes me think that this game might be worth at least looking at.

Is there any advice for a player that is coming from D3 who has never played this game before? As a new person is there a certain class I should play first until I get a good handle in the game? Any graphic or UI settings I should be concerned with? That sort of thing.

Vitality

HUSTLE
So I am going to finally give this a try. I am tired of Blizzard. I love Blizzard's interface and graphics but the game play has never really improved. The removal of trade and the lack of any real content having come out since RoS makes me think that this game might be worth at least looking at.

Is there any advice for a player that is coming from D3 who has never played this game before? As a new person is there a certain class I should play first until I get a good handle in the game? Any graphic or UI settings I should be concerned with? That sort of thing.
Play hardcore, softcore is boring.

Might want to do a playthrough (through merciless) in softcore to learn the bosses and find a playstyle though.

Bind movement only to your left mouse, so you don't rip to an accidental left click attack.

Resists are super important to max out as early as possible.

Other than that, there's some really good new player guides on youtube you should probably go through (specifically ones explaining which items you should hold onto, and the currency/crafting system)

khalid

Unelected Mod
I think the biggest difference from Diablo III is that defense matters a lot in this game, even at low levels. When picking your passive tree, take any life nodes you are near. Prioritize resists and hitpoints in your gear. The diablo III path of "just take whatever gives you the most damage" fails horribly in path of exile unless you are very experienced.

My suggestion would be to look for a "beginner" focused guide on the forums for a character build that sounds interesting to you, but just trying your own way can be fun too.

Also, play softcore if you don't like very harsh death penalties. Don't feel forced to play hardcore because the "cool kids" tell you to play hardcore.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Starting on hardcore is a good way to drive some people from the game because you have to learn game mechanics and dysnc/game lag mechanics at the same time. Definitely try it but if it's too frustrating don't be afraid to take the easier route until you want the extra challenge.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just fart around on standard trying different things till the new league comes out. That'll give you time to get used to the orb system, skill gems, and find a play style for when the new league starts. Beginning of new leagues is best time to play, economy is fresh and plenty of groups to find.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
For starting out, grab some life regen and youre set for a very long time. Open every chest and keep every orb you find! If you enjoyed diablo, you will love this game after a few dozen hours. Once you figure more stuff out is when the game really opens up and hits you in the face of the possibilities.

Buying a few extra stash/bank tabs is a very good idea for 20+ dollars and I promise its worth every penny.

/friend nylab - I can toss you a bunch of low level stuff to help you out. For anyone else, I play 1-6 hours a day and always ready for a group!

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thank you everyone for the advice. Will start softcore, as I want a way to relax. I have never liked hardcore format in any game that requires an internet connection.