Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm really excited about this, but something tells me this game is going to be a disappointment. And, much like Void, I can't decide which tier to buy...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I thought about getting the one with the season pass, but I opted to just get the regular as well. I've tended towards the stage of life where I spend more money games than I should, and never have time to play them. I'm also not too confident in how good this will be, so I dunno

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
Super excited for this. I know it probably won't be great but I'm really looking forward to probably being disappointed. Just finished preloading it.

• 2Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm just going to go with the basic edition. I couldn't care less about anything except the DLC and there's a high chance that it won't take place after the end of the base game and I have very little interest of playing these types of RPGs more than once.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Looks good to me. Kingmaker was a solid adventure path that my friends and I played through a few years ago. The kingdom management part got a bit tedious at times, but having the game keep track of that should help a lot.

There are many other AP's that would have made better games, but Kingmaker is a generic fantasy AP and therefore a safe bet.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
This is somewhat peculiar, even though its not a AA (much less AAA) title I would expect something by now. Especially since I can't imagine Deep Silver has enough clout to enforce a strict review embargo.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I am still excited for this, but as others have stated, I just don't have the time for games like I did. I'm currently working my way through Bard's Tale IV from last week, so I cancelled my pre-order of Pathfinder. I think I will wait until all the DLC comes out and we either get a "GOTY" edition (that name always confuses me) or they are just all on sale or something. I won't play a game a second time either, so unless the DLC is post basic game, it will just go unplayed by me when it finally comes out.

I've watched several videos for this game, and it is essentially a re-imagining of Pillars of Eternity, just with a ruleset that I love compared to the weird shit in PoE. I never finished either PoE for various reasons, although I don't really think it was the engine itself that stopped me. So I think this will come closer to scratching my itch than a lot of other games...except that, once again, it seems that pre-made characters are the emphasis here. Is it too much to ask for a game that actually requires me to put some thought and effort into my characters and party composition?? And let me make them right out of the gate, none of this slowly accumulating more. I hate that the most. Give me a full party right from the start, pre-generated or not.

Anyway, I'll be eagerly watching this to see if maybe I was wrong and I should have bought it immediately, but the DLC thing does bother me. I have a hard enough time finishing games, let alone if I find out the DLC is going to add stuff mid-game. Better to just wait for the whole thing to be released, for me anyway.

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have it installed and I'll be able to play in a few hours. I'll give you guys an initial impression as soon as I can.

Argarth

On the verandah
Cohh has just started streaming it. Looks and sounds gorgeous so far. Will have to stop watching soon. Definite buy for me.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Might buy tonight and play for a few hours before I leave for OKTOBERFEST BABY.

• 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am kinda curious about this one as well. I like the pathfinder game system and a nice crpg of it could be fun.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I've played a little bit, and I'm pretty torn. I wish it was just straight turn based combat. The whole combat system just feels clunky with it having lots of pauses, and like you don't have enough real control if you turn off the pauses. Maybe I'm missing something their.

It's definitely a D&D game though, all the customization on your character, all the choices. That stuff feels great. It seems like there are probably a lot of hours to put into the game.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I've watched a few different people play and it looks pretty good. I'm seeing people reload a lot which I like. That's what you get for jumping that Shambling Mound you derp.

Game looks like it will kill you dead.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's already been said, but I'll just reinforce the point; the game is essentially PoE without all the odd systems. It's a pretty good D&D adaptation. I like it a lot, but I'm only level 3 (about 3 hours played). The graphics are quite good and the music is above average.

• 1Like

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
Okay. I played this during a stream today for work. Like Grabbit said. It's PoE without the many systems it has. Like... that's it. It's PoE. I played through the intro area (about an hourish if you let dialogue play out).

That being said, I'm going to play this CRPG in the Pathfinder world and hope I like it. This is definitely going to be my current game to play through.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
After a few more hours of play, it's clear that this game is a winner. If you're a fan of the genre you won't be disappointed. My only criticism is that there is a lot of map loading. It's not a big deal for me as I have an SSD. Anyone playing with a standard HD able to comment on it?

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
SSDs are like $0.50 per GB these days. If you don’t have an SSD, get one.

• 2Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'm sitting here playing the start of the game trying to figure out how exactly you folks think it's like Path of Exile, until I remembered Pillars of Eternity. Bloody game acronyms!

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users