Pathfinder: Kingmaker

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It is getting difficult for me to continue holding off on this. If they had included Summoners from the get-go, I'd have pre-ordered the Season Pass :( Love that fucking class. That's another reason I am trying to wait, in case they implement more classes later.

They have a lot of summoning classes. The Herald Cleric tempted me for that reason. What makes the Summoner extra special?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
So, why does every spell refer to my Druid's gender as "her/she" when I made a male?

Da fuk?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Just watched streams so far since I'm finishing another game ... but goddamn those character sheets alone look fucking awesome. Not aware of a game with character sheets that have a timeline of points invested each level.

Seems like they implemented nearly all Pathfinder character mechanics?
Gonna take hours to roll 1 guy ...

I only created one character. How do you go about creating a whole party? Not that I want to just yet. The narrated companions are a big draw for me.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
They have a lot of summoning classes. The Herald Cleric tempted me for that reason. What makes the Summoner extra special?
Well to be honest, I'm not a Pathfinder expert. I learned it to play a Skype game with Kuriin and some of his friends, and while I had played plenty of D&D over the years, Pathfinder was new to me. So I don't have tons of play experience to fall back on and give you good reasons. I just loved the different archetypes within the Summoner class, particularly the Synthesist. I can't remember the other names, but one allowed you to have a shitload of summons out at once, while the Synthesist you almost literally became the pet yourself. Like, the summoned pet surrounded your body and you got all sorts of melee bonuses associated with it, so it was sort of like an entirely different take on a melee class, while still having a little bit of casting ability.

For all I know, maybe that's one of the "broken" classes that was too powerful, but from seeing what one of the rangers (or whatever Pathfinder calls them) was able to do, I question where "overpowered" really lies. He was multi-critting for massive damage regularly, while I would occasionally, and could take some hits he couldn't. But he'd hit from so far away and so hard that he rarely got in trouble anyway.

I mean, they have a ton of interesting classes, don't get me wrong, but the Summoner just called to me as something unique in this type of game. Sure, it sounds a lot like a mage in EQ, but in terms of D&D? Not much of that going around, particularly when you toss Synthesist archetype onto it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Watching people play this on twitch and seeing them getting completely destroyed over and over is kind of off putting.

• 1Smuggly
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well to be honest, I'm not a Pathfinder expert. I learned it to play a Skype game with Kuriin and some of his friends, and while I had played plenty of D&D over the years, Pathfinder was new to me. So I don't have tons of play experience to fall back on and give you good reasons. I just loved the different archetypes within the Summoner class, particularly the Synthesist. I can't remember the other names, but one allowed you to have a shitload of summons out at once, while the Synthesist you almost literally became the pet yourself. Like, the summoned pet surrounded your body and you got all sorts of melee bonuses associated with it, so it was sort of like an entirely different take on a melee class, while still having a little bit of casting ability.

For all I know, maybe that's one of the "broken" classes that was too powerful, but from seeing what one of the rangers (or whatever Pathfinder calls them) was able to do, I question where "overpowered" really lies. He was multi-critting for massive damage regularly, while I would occasionally, and could take some hits he couldn't. But he'd hit from so far away and so hard that he rarely got in trouble anyway.

I mean, they have a ton of interesting classes, don't get me wrong, but the Summoner just called to me as something unique in this type of game. Sure, it sounds a lot like a mage in EQ, but in terms of D&D? Not much of that going around, particularly when you toss Synthesist archetype onto it.

I think the broken summoner ones both had the eidolon that if you took all the max power options could get stupidly powerful but they also got a large amount of summon monster spells. They basically would break games by the summoners action economy got stupid once they shat out enough minions. It would just bog games down massively when one guy is running like 8 + pets at one time.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Unchained Summoner – d20PFSRD a side note for those interested this is basically a link to what the alternate unchained summoner looks like. If they add summoners to the game I expect it will look like this as from when I last looked this was the version you could actually use in pathfinder society tournies and con settings.

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, I just came across a mechanic that I had no idea that I was under. At some point in the first act you have to complete one of the quests in a specific time frame or your game is just done..over. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but I had absolutely no idea I was under potentially game-ending time constraints. All of my save games are recent so the 15 hours I've put in are worthless and I have to start over...I really like this game a lot, but this level of punishment in a mechanic is total bullshit.

• 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Well, I just came across a mechanic that I had no idea that I was under. At some point in the first act you have to complete one of the quests in a specific time frame or your game is just done..over. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but I had absolutely no idea I was under potentially game-ending time constraints. All of my save games are recent so the 15 hours I've put in are worthless and I have to start over...I really like this game a lot, but this level of punishment in a mechanic is total bullshit.

That's retarded. Did you get some kind of warning?

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
It literally tells you that on the first quest out the castle. You have 89 days or something like that. Still sucks the game just ends though.
Is this how they are forcing the turn/barony building mechanic?

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It literally tells you that on the first quest out the castle. You have 89 days or something like that. Still sucks the game just ends though.
I completely missed that detail and I've been resting without any regard for time management.

• 1Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I completely missed that detail and I've been resting without any regard for time management.

Watching DansGaming play it now, and when you complete the tutorial, the woman who sends you out on the quest tells you that you have three months until a second faction learns of what you are doing and if not done by then anything you do past that won't matter.

Healing looks really tedious. Earlier he said that a 3 month time limit wasn't an issue, but not sure how long that feeling will last with 2+ days worth of rest being required after every second fight. And he also bought 20+ health pots and is using some every fight.

Would not be surprised to see changes in balance fairly soon. It's already down to mixed reviews (67%) on Steam.

• 1Like

Caliane

yikes. timed mechanics in rpgs like this are almost always a bad idea.

In pen and paper, the DM can roll with it. either, fudge things behind the scenes to keep the game going, or force the players to deal with the consequences. new storyline..
Also, in crpgs like this, you want the player to explore, which ends up being directly against that timer mechanic.

It can be done. but the game needs basically be built on it. Essentially built on a choose your own adventure, FTL, type game, where its very clear you are not supposed to explore every avenue on your first playthrough. you are intended to miss/skip some quests/leads and follow others to end at that set timeline. And, new playthroughs will let you experience other storylines.
perhaps it is that kind of game?

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sounds more like Fallout, except that the time limit isn't a joke because the game balance is out of whack unless you find some way to sustain healing without resting.

• 1Like

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
If you're having trouble with the game and aren't too familiar with the Pathfinder/3.5 D&D system, consider an arcane caster that focuses on battlefield control/debuffing.

Damage spells did not scale well from 2nd Edition to 3rd: A fireball still maxes out at 10d6, but everyone has more hit points, and you roll for hit points every level from 1-20 (in 2nd ed fighter types just got 3 hp/level after level 9, instead of rolling 1-10 + con bonus).

Spells such as grease, sleep, color spray, ray of enfeeblement, glitterdust, web, hideous laughter, blindness/deafness, sleet storm, stinking cloud, halt undead, confusion, and black tentacles will change a fight in your favor, as incapacitating or hindering a few opponents for just a round or 2 is enough to prevent getting zerged, and reduces a lot of damage you will take in the normal course of a fight.

Melee/ranged do the damage, casters control the battlefield.

Source: Tabletop gaming with a rules lawyers and min maxers for 20 years. If a min maxer/rules lawyer picks an Arcane caster, they probably figured something new out and some shit is about to go down.

• 2Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Heh, so I realized that I actually completed the timed quest but I screwed around for awhile afterwards and then I had 1 hour of in-game time to get back to the quest giver (impossible). It's going to be awhile before I play this game again. I know it's my fault, but fuck this.

Staglord.png

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users