Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't personally feel that there's anything wrong with the tuning. There are a shitload of options to tone the difficulty down if you need it. That said, the game is hard for people who don't have an intimate understanding of the P&P game, but I appreciate the accuracy.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 3 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Yeah the difficulty comes from the degree to which they don't dumb the game down. Even Baldur's Gate, back in the day, hedged things significantly to the benefit of the players. This one has the option to do this as well, but it also has built in options to bend you over and fuck you bareback.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I don't personally feel that there's anything wrong with the tuning. There are a shitload of options to tone the difficulty down if you need it. That said, the game is hard for people who don't have an intimate understanding of the P&P game, but I appreciate the accuracy.
I agree played the pen and paper version for years and it feels like I have a huge leg up on the character building, as in what feats to choose. The green recommended feats so far past level three have been shit though. No I don't want to get weapon focus again, they should be suggesting power attack earlier so you can get cleave and great cleave later as melee etc.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I agree played the pen and paper version for years and it feels like I have a huge leg up on the character building, as in what feats to choose. The green recommended feats so far past level three have been shit though. No I don't want to get weapon focus again, they should be suggesting power attack earlier so you can get cleave and great cleave later as melee etc.

Yep. I laughed out loud at several of the recommended feats. I was like "WTF?" "That feat is garbage." Also, it's been pointed out in this thread by someone else, but casters are trash for damage. Hold on while I use one of my 3 spells to do 4 damage when I could be stunning, webbing, etc while you melee types rape it.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the difficulty comes from the degree to which they don't dumb the game down. Even Baldur's Gate, back in the day, hedged things significantly to the benefit of the players. This one has the option to do this as well, but it also has built in options to bend you over and fuck you bareback.

I think the major difficulty hurdle has to do with how shitty the first group you have is. Unless you have that pre-order item with Color Spray. Barbarian, Priest of Groetus Cleric, Linzi, You... in this particular lineup whatever you are is very very impactful and can seriously make you step on your dick for awhile.

Until you stumble onto some other companions.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Hopefully I can get my alchemist at least 4 more feats so I can throw like three bombs a round.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Things have been going fairly well for my bow spec fighter. That shit was never balanced early in 3 or 3.5

• 1Like

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Well to be honest, I'm not a Pathfinder expert. I learned it to play a Skype game with Kuriin and some of his friends, and while I had played plenty of D&D over the years, Pathfinder was new to me. So I don't have tons of play experience to fall back on and give you good reasons. I just loved the different archetypes within the Summoner class, particularly the Synthesist. I can't remember the other names, but one allowed you to have a shitload of summons out at once, while the Synthesist you almost literally became the pet yourself. Like, the summoned pet surrounded your body and you got all sorts of melee bonuses associated with it, so it was sort of like an entirely different take on a melee class, while still having a little bit of casting ability.

For all I know, maybe that's one of the "broken" classes that was too powerful, but from seeing what one of the rangers (or whatever Pathfinder calls them) was able to do, I question where "overpowered" really lies. He was multi-critting for massive damage regularly, while I would occasionally, and could take some hits he couldn't. But he'd hit from so far away and so hard that he rarely got in trouble anyway.

I mean, they have a ton of interesting classes, don't get me wrong, but the Summoner just called to me as something unique in this type of game. Sure, it sounds a lot like a mage in EQ, but in terms of D&D? Not much of that going around, particularly when you toss Synthesist archetype onto it.

Summoner has always been the best class in Pathfinder, it is insanely busted and the only other class that comes close to its power is Druid, but even then Summoner is on another tier. Synthesist is actually the most gimped version of Summoner there is because it merges the Summoner with their pet. The thing that makes Summoner so good is your pet is essentially a melee character and then you also get to control a caster for control spells or hell you can just wield wands and completely ignore the Summoner's limited spell list.

IIRC the tier list is like:

1. Summoner
2. Druid
3. Fighter, Gunslinger, Barbarian, Cavalier/Samurai
4. Monk, Ranger
5. Everything else

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It's funny reading about how difficult this game is after all the griping about how "easy" games are nowadays.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Well, there is difficult and then there is nonsensical. Good difficulty would be like the swarm bugs mentioned where you have the tools available to beat them so its on you to understand how the game works. Nonsensical would be a random encounter at level 2 with werewolves when you don't have access to magic/silver weapons. Seems like this game has a fair bit of both from the reviews I'm reading.

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I'm enjoying this so far, but the hot fix today made it so you can't recruit out of olegs so you can't create custom characters which is pretty lame since the price goes up per level.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Well, there is difficult and then there is nonsensical. Good difficulty would be like the swarm bugs mentioned where you have the tools available to beat them so its on you to understand how the game works. Nonsensical would be a random encounter at level 2 with werewolves when you don't have access to magic/silver weapons. Seems like this game has a fair bit of both from the reviews I'm reading.

I'm sure if you kill the werewolves they've got silver weapons on them. That's just classic Gygax. You find what you needed after the battle.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm enjoying this so far, but the hot fix today made it so you can't recruit out of olegs so you can't create custom characters which is pretty lame since the price goes up per level.
Since I don't own the game yet, can you expand upon this? Are you saying there are no custom characters ever, outside of your own? Or just at the beginning maybe, where it would be a lot cheaper to do?

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Since I don't own the game yet, can you expand upon this? Are you saying there are no custom characters ever, outside of your own? Or just at the beginning maybe, where it would be a lot cheaper to do?

There are no custom characters without buying mercenaries as far as I'm aware and the price goes up a shit load each level. So 2k at level 2 and I think it's 8k at level 4 which is just not feasible. The premade characters are mostly bad so getting a nice party will be near impossible without that fix. I'm going to have to restart the game when it is fixed.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I really like the bomb alchemist. I mean pretty good aoe damage at early levels.

I'm doing this as well, I just wish I could target the ground rather than a person as my fighters get caught in the AE.

I like little details like characters having a favorite meal that gives them extra bonuses when that was the previous day's dinner