Pax Dei

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
honestly IDK i'm not a huge fan of the farming/crafting simulator genre. I know this generation of fucksticks grew up on minecraft but why the fuck do they have to add minecraft to every other genre. Horror? lets make you craft every fucking thing and call it survival. FPS? why not make you have to build your guns from scratch? MMO? Why explore castles when we can make you build the fucking things starting from Mud huts and moving all the way up to stone 3000 hours later?

I was super amped about crowfall until they decided to make it mine craft and I was super amped about Medieval Eve Online until they made it fucking mine craft.
I can see where you are coming from, but there is room for a game like this. Only had a chance to play a few hours before heading out of town. It was fun, if a bit frustrating since a lot of the plots were taken, couldn't remap controls, etc. Lots of people were playing, which was cool. And some of the constructions were really good and massive.

Personally, I doubt I will buy this game. Vanguard had a great crafting system, and I loved making ships. It was a real chore though, and burnt me out on the crafting thing. So for new games, I just do what is necessary and avoid the rest.

But this game might be popular when it's released. It certainly is pretty and the building thing is well done.

MazeEq

Lord Nagafen Raider
So it's basically Conan Exiles.

How do people keep getting hype for the same game with new skins.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So it's basically Conan Exiles.
Pax Dei is in Alpha.

As a player with over 800 hours in Conan Exiles I can say they do feel similar. But what Pax Dei has now, even at such an early stage is MILES ahead of where Funcom had Conan Exiles at this stage of development

People get "hype" for this kind of game, because people want a game like this. The problem is no one has come close to combining all the cool things about an MMORPG and Survival/Crafting game (at least not what I'm looking for).

I've been following the development of this title for a while now and I can say it seems like they have a development team which looks to be able to achieve what many people are hoping for.

1714254122612.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

The problem with true sandbox games is the only content of note is what other players contribute to the server. Once you get past the initial "build a city" part, then people start looking to destroy other cities and it becomes pretty easy to end up in a "mega town kills the server" situation which is the usual endstate of these types of games

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
The problem with true sandbox games is the only content of note is what other players contribute to the server. Once you get past the initial "build a city" part, then people start looking to destroy other cities and it becomes pretty easy to end up in a "mega town kills the server" situation which is the usual endstate of these types of games
That and no one ever really wants full on PVP if there are any serious consequences for losing.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
That and no one ever really wants full on PVP if there are any serious consequences for losing.
It can work if you structure it as a tiered, voluntary system with big rewards for those who go into lawless areas, but you have a large core area where the isn't pvp.

PVP with loses can make the serious sort of drama that pretty much defines what a real MMO is to me. I mean, a lot of boss races in EQ back in the day were basically soft-core pvp. But at the same time you do need a safe space where all the normies can toil about and contribute, without the PVP aspect of the game completely chasing them off. Basically, mega autists are simultaneously great content to watch, while being an existential threat to the playerbase as a whole at the same time.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
It can work if you structure it as a tiered, voluntary system with big rewards for those who go into lawless areas, but you have a large core area where the isn't pvp.

PVP with loses can make the serious sort of drama that pretty much defines what a real MMO is to me. I mean, a lot of boss races in EQ back in the day were basically soft-core pvp. But at the same time you do need a safe space where all the normies can toil about and contribute, without the PVP aspect of the game completely chasing them off. Basically, mega autists are simultaneously great content to watch, while being an existential threat to the playerbase as a whole at the same time.
Pretty much. Warhammer did PVP the best, and was actually balanced around it. WOW has the class balance of pureed dog shit, but their BGs were pretty awesome ideas.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Pretty much. Warhammer did PVP the best, and was actually balanced around it. WOW has the class balance of pureed dog shit, but their BGs were pretty awesome ideas.
I hate the term balance when it comes to any sort of open/fluid sort of combat ala world pvp. Lots of people say they want balance, but they're pretty much all lying. Some level 50 sees a level 20 and goes "better wait for him to level!". See some player that killed you earlier fighting a npc "Better wait till he's done and healed!". I know when I had some nerds ready to get dropped on in EVE, I sure as fuck didn't say "lets wait until the fight gets more balanced guys!".

I think that once you've brought thoughts of balance into discussions about pvp, you've already completely lost the narrative. It's just an excuse losers make, and not something that anyone actually wants.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
lol no. Eve Online did it best.

Hard faction split games that lost all their players and hype 30 days after launch then limped along until they were quietly shut down a few years later are not the "best" example of anything, other than how shitty hard factions are in pvp games.

also echo the above. "balance" is retarded in pvp games, you should never have hard factions so every group can have any class comp as any other group so class vs class balance is pointless and 1vs1 "class balance" should never come out of anyones mouth fucking ever. If you leave town or whatever and go into a lawless area solo you should expect to be treated like a white woman walking the streets of new york at 2 in the morning.

Last edited:

Kaines

Potato Supreme
This. And it was already tried once in Shadowbane. Every server in that game ended up in this exact position.

Cybsled

Yup. On our server Death it basically went

1) first couple weeks people build cities
2) mega guild kills a major city, people from killed city join other city
3) mega guild kills 2nd major city
4) literally the entire server teams up and kills mega guild city
5) server dies because almost everyone quits because the game made it virtually impossible to rebuild

Ashes of Creation is going to have the same problem

• 1Solidarity

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I hate the term balance when it comes to any sort of open/fluid sort of combat ala world pvp. Lots of people say they want balance, but they're pretty much all lying. Some level 50 sees a level 20 and goes "better wait for him to level!". See some player that killed you earlier fighting a npc "Better wait till he's done and healed!". I know when I had some nerds ready to get dropped on in EVE, I sure as fuck didn't say "lets wait until the fight gets more balanced guys!".

I think that once you've brought thoughts of balance into discussions about pvp, you've already completely lost the narrative. It's just an excuse losers make, and not something that anyone actually wants.
Warhammer was mostly 10 v 10 BGs, and the classes were literally mirrored between the two factions is all I meant there.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Both "balanced" and ganking pvp can be fun for different types of people, but one type seems easier to manage and retain players. Just to clarify, by balance, I mean relatively balanced, not e-sports "fair" fight bullshit homogenization.

The most fun I had with WoW pvp was in Vanilla, facing off against the other bleeding edge raid guild on our server in BGs. The memories that last are of long games with good players making good moves in WSG and AB, not the endless streamrolls we had against lesser geared players.

That said, I did enjoy instantly ambush deleting hunters and mages, out of stealth, with a rogue hunting friend(s) when doing the Southshore VS Tauren Mill back and forth. Also, 1 rounding unaware mages as they were busy trying to kill other people in BGs was great fun and I'm sure they got enjoyment in payback when I was found sneaking into their base or out of stealth with a dot on me.

Cybsled

Tauren Mill in closed beta was pretty funny. Mages used to be able to channel pyroblast while invis and the invis wouldn't break until the cast completed. So mages would basically just setup on the fringes and 1 shot squishy people and then reinvis.

Most of them had no idea warlocks could cast see invis, so I would hunt them and watch them panic once their 1-trick pony was no longer an option lol

Xevy

Log Wizard
Warhammer was mostly 10 v 10 BGs, and the classes were literally mirrored between the two factions is all I meant there.
They were mirrored if you shattered a mirror and reassembled it in all the wrong places. The two sides had MOSTLY the same skills, but not on mirror classes. They had mirror archetypes with just all sorts of fucking different abilities which made it lop sided as fuck.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yup. On our server Death it basically went

1) first couple weeks people build cities
2) mega guild kills a major city, people from killed city join other city
3) mega guild kills 2nd major city
4) literally the entire server teams up and kills mega guild city
5) server dies because almost everyone quits because the game made it virtually impossible to rebuild

Ashes of Creation is going to have the same problem

Who were you with on death server ? I was there from the start but dont recall any mega guilds. AoC will not have 3am banes thankfully.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So sometime soon they are going to announce early access, for what is estimated to be around early to mid-June as they are sticking with their "Spring 2024" time frame.

It should be noted that during early access, due to the nature of how the game is, there could be one or more wipes during EA. They are going to try and limit them as much as possible, but they fully expect it to happen one or more times.

Normally I'd be like whatever, but this game is a fucking beast in terms of its crafting and farming system. If you haven't been in the F&F and the Alphas, I don't think you can fully grasp just how in-depth each profession is and the amount of farming needed to progress one of the SIXTEEN professions in this game. I just wanted to warn people of that before EA starts so you know what you're getting into before you sink 200 hours into something that could be wiped in a day.

That said, I'll be buying EA day one as I want to support both this game and the team behind it. Not sure how crazy I'll get with it, but we will see.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Who were you with on death server ? I was there from the start but dont recall any mega guilds. AoC will not have 3am banes thankfully.

Lords of Death or something was the “mega guild”. They had their city on that ice island - the attack that killed their city had like 500+ people and was a slideshow / sb.exe fest

I forgot the other city guild names. My company was called “Eleven” and we were mostly just former EQ1 guildies/alliance from our server. We mostly just allied with the other larger cities and would go out PKing lol