Persona 5 - Coming to...

norp

Bronze Squire
Sad that it's going to be delayed but if that makes the translation better it's totally worth it. Also I can imagine it's difficult to translate a game as deep and complex as Persona 5, it will be worth the wait.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
It sounds like they are going back and adding voice over to scenes that did not have it in the original release.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't understand the desire for JP dubs in games (by people who don't speak Japanese fluently), but at least that had nothing to do with the delay. It shouldn't be related to the strike either, I don't think Atlus is one of the companies being picketed and they also said that the strike would not apply to games that were already in the middle of VO recording.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I never quite understood the fascination with the source voice acting. NeoGAF always had mega boners for it, though.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well it's kinda what you're used to you know. You watch anime for a few years, you associate anime looking characters with japanese sounding voices, seeing anime characterd speak english just feels wrong. Ever travelled to europe and watched holywood movies dubbed in french/german/italian/spanish/whatever? I'd assume you'd find it weird too. I watch all my american/english shit with english language too.

I don't find it as annoying when it's a realistic looking game, like say Dark Souls or Resident Evil or whatever, because that doesn't look bad, but seeing the typical mascot character or the little girl or whatever other trope character they went with that's been done in every anime in the past 20years and then hear them speak in some weird high pitch english that tries to sound like the japanese original but end up just sounding creepy/weird, shit's just annoys me. Doesn't help that a lot of the english dubs also sound really bad to me, like they can't act for shit. Even what people call "good" dubs I find irritating.

So yeah, mostly it's just the disconnect between an anime character and speaking english, just doesn't make sense to me. If the style is more cartoony, works fine, but if it's pure japanese weeb shit, I hate having to listen to english voices on it. And Persona is definitely anime, like super generic anime.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The difference between anime and games to me is that lip syncing is part of the localization process for games while anime pretty much never does it unless it's a full-CGI movie. I pretty much never watch dubbed anime except for specific ones like Black Lagoon and Cowboy Bebop, but I find reading subs detracts from gameplay even in a RPG.

And while I'm a little skeptical of the English voice cast for P5 due to the glaring omission of people like Laura Bailey, Tara Platt, Michelle Ruff, Troy Baker, Liam O'Brien, etc. and it makes me think that SEGA cheaped out on the localization budget when the only recognizable voices are Matt Mercer, Cherami Leigh, and Cassandra Morris, Atlus has always done a superb job in the past.

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If possible I tend to have the voice overs in Japanese anyway, as the English ones are usually so...so bad. I'm looking at you Xenoblade Chronicles.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I thought most the voice overs for P3 and P4 were pretty decent in English, though there's some emotional dissonance in scenes because the actresses/actors lines don't drip emotion when read in English. Looking at you, Yukiko's almost death.