Persona 5

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Finally got around to playing this more and after some initial hurdles of it being weird and me not playing any JRPGs in 15 years this game is fucking awesome.

Really off the wall compared to what I usually play and I find myself referring to some guides and stuff to make sure I don't miss shit.

Great shit.

spronk

FPS noob
after this i'd highly recommend yakuza 0, it is another one of those "... wtf, japan" games that I'm playing right now and just loving. Yakuza 1 remaster also launches in 6 days for only $30 too

There's the "serious, gangster" mainline story and then absolutely insane sidestories like dealing with trannies, helping out a dude who masturbates in public with spank bank material, and managing some sexy glam ring fighters. I'm really surprised people like anita haven't called for a jihad against the yakuza series

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
after this i'd highly recommend yakuza 0, it is another one of those "... wtf, japan" games that I'm playing right now and just loving. Yakuza 1 remaster also launches in 6 days for only $30 too

There's the "serious, gangster" mainline story and then absolutely insane sidestories like dealing with trannies, helping out a dude who masturbates in public with spank bank material, and managing some sexy glam ring fighters. I'm really surprised people like anita haven't called for a jihad against the yakuza series

Added to my Queue. That looks great.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yakuza 0 was awesome and completely ridiculous with some of the side quests and side jobs / stores.

I got side tracked and stopped Persona 5 and am finding it hard to convince myself to go back. Will probably end up looking for a walk through and following it. The micromanaging of daily actions was just to ummm... something. Always feeling like I'm not optimal, missing something, or misusing. Game was fun, think I was at the 2nd castle, so not really that far in.

Yakuza 1 so soon is great. Just finished up Hellblade and need something else to move on to.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yakuza 0 was awesome and completely ridiculous with some of the side quests and side jobs / stores.

I got side tracked and stopped Persona 5 and am finding it hard to convince myself to go back. Will probably end up looking for a walk through and following it. The micromanaging of daily actions was just to ummm... something. Always feeling like I'm not optimal, missing something, or misusing. Game was fun, think I was at the 2nd castle, so not really that far in.

Yakuza 1 so soon is great. Just finished up Hellblade and need something else to move on to.

Honestly - either just play the game and fuck around with the daily actions if you don't care about min-maxing or do it following a guide. Woman and I played through a total of something like 6 times between us start to end, and it's really hard to "logic" your way into min-maxing all the daily action stuff. And since most of them carry over into NG+ if you continue it, it's really not worth breaking too much of a sweat over, even if you're doing it for trophies or whatever.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Honestly - either just play the game and fuck around with the daily actions if you don't care about min-maxing or do it following a guide. Woman and I played through a total of something like 6 times between us start to end, and it's really hard to "logic" your way into min-maxing all the daily action stuff. And since most of them carry over into NG+ if you continue it, it's really not worth breaking too much of a sweat over, even if you're doing it for trophies or whatever.

That's how I've been playing it. Do what you can. Follow the guides here and there. Otherwise fuck it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the community actions thing helped a lot. Pretty sure if I just sat down and dedicated an evening this weekend I'd be fine. We'll see how hungover I am.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
That's how I've been playing it. Do what you can. Follow the guides here and there. Otherwise fuck it.
I followed a guide to max the conversation options to get the most music note things. The "best" one is pretty much a crapshoot if you are trying to guess it.

Other than that don't worry about using a guide unless you are going after all the trophies.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Really enjoying this quirky ass game.

About 10 hours in, just finished the castle, Kamoshida's true form was fucking LOL!

Been using a guide loosely, shit's crazy. So many things going on.

I'm not the typical JRPGer but this game is entertaining for sure, definitely worth the $32 I paid for it, and wouldn't have felt ripped off if I had paid full price. I'm reading 100 hours a playthrough? We'll see if I get there. Probably won't but will get my money's worth.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, it's at least 100 hours. My first play through ended up at 120 hours, iirc.

Fedor

<Banned>
The game is massive, it took 93 hours for my first playthrough and another 40 to get the platinum.

I made the mistake of thinking a certain percentage bar in the game was a progress bar.

spronk

FPS noob
Yeah all the recent japanese games I have played recently are insane time sinks compared to western RPGs - P5, Final Fantasy XII Zodiac, and Yakuza 0 are all 100+ hours if you wanna do everything, even longer if you wanna platinum the games.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Finally finished this. I never would have touched this game without the recommendation here. I played, stopped, played, stopped maybe 12 times until I finally got into the game two months after buying it.

Took me a month or so to finish this beast. The characters, style, and music are all absolutely fantastic. The story is pretty cool considering the usual weirdness of Jap RPG storylines I dislike. This one is easily understandable and isn't too bizarre as far as JRPG shit goes.

It has great pacing and is never too tedious with things you would find tedious in other games. Like going to school and doing exams/part time job like some SIMS bullshit. It makes them a list of priorities based on needs sure but it never feels like tedium as you don't have to micromanage it that hard. Some mechanics take a bit of getting used to. Like the confidants system and knowing how to improve them. My main complaint is that it takes 30+ hours to open the game up for you and see all of the systems there are and do what you want.

Without a doubt this is in my top 5 of 2017.

I recommend it to anyone. Especially if you're like me and don't play JRPGs at all really and think this is not something you'd like. As far as your typical JRPG goes (I haven't played a JRPG since Xenogears for the PS1 really) this is really in a class of its own or at the very least absolute top tier of JRPG in general.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The P4 one sort of had a story, P5 does not. Unless you really like rhythm games, stay away. I can't stand that shit so all I'm looking forward to is Persona Q 2, since Atlus had the sense to keep it on 3DS and not ruin it by going Switch instead.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Started playing this. Kinda sucks i put it off so long, game is fantastic. Been in a slump so decieded to see what games I had on PS4 I never played and this happened to already be installed. Spent a good # of hours last night on it. Music and presentation is top notch.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I saw you on playing that and wondered if you liked it. I am about 40 hours in and on the 3rd mini boss and got lost in the dungeon. I should pick it back up again. Game takes what about 90 hours to complete?