Pets

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I'm sorry man. I know the feeling too. Mine was a 14 year old shepherd in kidney failure. Doctor said there was a procedure they could do, but all it would do is give her a few months and he didn't actually know of any dogs as old as mine surviving it.

I don't think I could have handled an at home thing like that. I preferred saying good bye to her while she was still alive and then just leaving.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I'm sorry to hear about the news of your pet.
frown.png
Losing a pet is just so awful.

--On another note, I keep seeing people losing their animals to ruptured splenic hemangiomas. I would definitely talk to your vet about potentially prophylactically getting their spleen removed.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What exactly is a hemangioma? My son has a strawberry hemangioma on the top of his head, and after getting it scanned we were told it is harmless. But there is no explanation why it is there.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
The causes are pretty idiopathic but most are benign types of tumors that are self-limiting (disappear over time). When they grow in such a highly vascularized organ such as the spleen, they can randomly rupture which is more often than not, fatal. I have personally never seen a splenic hemangioma on a person (though I am sure they exist), it's just that seem to be more common on animals.

Koivu

Molten Core Raider
Visited the vet last week with my cat for his yearly shots and general check-up, he is 14 and has been losing weight recently. Results of the blood tests came back indicating early stages of renal failure. The vet recommended switching to a special diet and to come back for a follow-up after a couple months. But even in the best case scenario, the new diet can only stall the damage to his kidneys for a year or two max; according to the vet nothing can be done to fix them.

I'm not ready to say goodbye to the furry bastard yet.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The causes are pretty idiopathic but most are benign types of tumors that are self-limiting (disappear over time). When they grow in such a highly vascularized organ such as the spleen, they can randomly rupture which is more often than not, fatal. I have personally never seen a splenic hemangioma on a person (though I am sure they exist), it's just that seem to be more common on animals.
Thanks. Our doc said it will disappear before he's 6, but it was in a weird spot on his head she hadn't seen before (over the soft spot) so we had to get him scanned to make sure it wasn't growing inside too. Mini couple hours worth of heart attacks there.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I like how a pet thread became a kid thread within the first page. Out of curiosity, did the parenting thread become a pet thread on the first page too?

No judgement, i understand.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Calm yore tits. I was just making an observation.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Been scarred for life with the death of a pet; won't willingly put myself through that again. Australian/Border Collie mix with a bit of a hard history. Was the runt of his litter, subsequently abandoned along with the rest of the litter and put into a shelter with them. Literally last in line for food the entire week he was there (could totally have been worse) and was bedraggled as shit really. My mom (I was 13) purchased him because he looked so pathetic, and he was then part of the family. In his first week with us, he tore my favorite book to pieces, chewed a chunk out of my hair (I had long ass hair, it was draped over a couch and he chewed on it while I was sleeping and apparently I didn't wake up) and crapped on my new Airwalks. Loathed that dog for the first year he was with us, even if after he started eating normally he looked like a furry pot bellied pig when you picked him up, legs kicking and what not. Had a rough loss at a regional competition for wrestling, and the dog was there. And continued to be there until I was 18 and moved out, though I visited like, daily to hang out with him.

Random passerby tossed him a piece of meat laced with speed for I have absolutely no idea of a reason in 2000. Came over to see him and he was freaking out, jittering and couldn't stop; mom was bawling. Took him to the vet, held him the entire time, they had to filter his blood and he wouldn't go with them unless I was there. Sat through the process and he looked absolutely hurt as you can imagine because I was the one keeping him there for it. Took him home and he had this uncontrollable shake whenever he was slightly excited from then on. I couldn't sit down in the house without him immediately trying to jump on my lap to doze after that, even years later. Was over there almost daily until I moved 300m away in 2007.

Then in 2008, while visiting from across state, I find out he broke his hip. And apparently went blind in one eye. And nobody thought to mention it to me. So I take him to the vet again and he tells me that he should recover sort of, but he's old. I hang out for a weekend with him and then head back home. Come back a month later and didn't see him in the yard. Mom walks up and says they had to put him down, because he tried to jump up on the couch and messed up his spine. She mentioned this while I was walking through the backyard looking for him, and pointed me towards the tree they buried him under.

Yeah, no more pets.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Man what kind of Shithead laces food and gives it to animals. I am not above killing a human.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I've put down at least 7 cats over the past 3 decades. Still hasn't stopped me from getting another one immediately.

Maybe I'm a sociopath? But I tear up reading these kinds of threads. Not sure anymore.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
People have regularly laced 'dog treats' with poison in San Francisco. Many, many animals have died because of it. Fucking shitty people.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Most likely someone who thought the dog was shitting in his yard. Because shitting in the POA Yard of the Month deserves a death sentence.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Most likely someone who thought the dog was shitting in his yard. Because shitting in the POA Yard of the Month deserves a death sentence.
The 'treats' were left all over San Francisco. That includes dog parks.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We have people in our neighborhood that put up signs on their lawns that say "don't let your dog poop on my lawn", so we do anyways because the city owns the first few feet anyways.

I could totally see some of those scumbags doing this.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
The 'treats' were left all over San Francisco. That includes dog parks.
I was speaking more to rez's situation. If I understood why gays do things I wouldn't have so many questions in the ask a gay man thread.

Seriously though, makes me wonder if San Fran has a feral dog problem that someone thought they were helping. It was probably bob barker himself trying to chemically spay them.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
We have people in our neighborhood that put up signs on their lawns that say "don't let your dog poop on my lawn", so we do anyways because the city owns the first few feet anyways.

I could totally see some of those scumbags doing this.
Do you not pick up your dogs poop after it goes?