Pets

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
In the spirit of more happy stories for Mrs G...
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I love me some doggies; I have one sitting at my feet right now. He, Nubbins/Nubs, AKA Mr. Rotten, brought me his lion squirrel and his girl squirrel (the stuffing free toys, we - I mean I (sad face) call all of them squirrel). I think he wants to play.

Thanks Hoss.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Sadly after this post we were upstairs playing and he got close to get face and she did a warning lunge at him. She's in timeout but I'm sort of at a loss here. Last thing I want to do is have to give up my dog, but clearly I would do it in a heartbeat for my son. Not a good situation tonight.
I had a cat that hated everyone but my wife and I. He attacked everyone and we had to lock him in a room or the garage when guests came over. He bloodied the first guy, my brother, pretty good before we figured out he couldn't be around other folks. It was impressive to watch in a cat/prey sort of way, but not a happy situation.

Anyway, he charged my wife who was holding my newborn daughter the day after my daughter was born. By chance, I had heard an animal behaviorist on talk radio a few days before and remembered his name (he was sorta local) and I gave him a call. He layed out a strategy of things to do that we followed and soon we were one happy family again. I have pictures of that cat sleeping with my baby. He protected her like he protected my wife and I but we still had to lock him up for guests. She was safe.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is don't give up on your pet. They can be trained and their behavior can be changed. Call around for an expert. Try things before you give up.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
While reading this thread I cried, then I laughed. And then, I felt like shit for losing my pets in my divorce. Sorry for everyone who lost a friend. It hurts, but you're lucky to have had the time with them. I hope to get another dog or cat again when I'm not working so much. Something to look forward to; a new buddy.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
We've done about as much correcting on that sort behavior as one could reasonably imagine.

We believe it stems from when we rescued her. She is a very skittish and scared dog too. She's never bit anyone, I think it was just a warning. I berated her for a bit in hopes that she got the message.

I feel like we are good dog owners. When we got her we even took her to 2 dog training/obedience courses.
Sounds exactly like my dog was. Seems you aren't "pack leader" yet. Despite success in training right after rescuing, my dog did the growl/nip/bite when scared thing for months after. Maybe 6 months in he actually tried to bite my hand for real so I lifted him off the ground and flipped him over on his back and pinned him with both hands - got loud so he knew I was not playing and stared at him making sure he couldn't look away from me. He retreated from me for a few hours after he relented and I let him go, tail between his legs, but he's now a fantastic dog. The worst he will do is whimper when he's scared instead of growling. I was afraid we'd have to put him down (I can't own a dog that I can't trust not to attack people) but he really responded well and even started trusting me more and wants me to play catch with him where before he would run away with toys afraid I would take them. Now he knows I will so he's OK with sharing and playing fetch since it's really "my" toy in his eyes. When he does something bad and I call him out on it instead of hiding, he will slowly walk over with his tail between his leg and I will scold him verbally and he looks away. I just treat him passively for a little while then we go back to normal. He doesn't really have many accidents but I never punish him for reasonable ones (like when he's sick or we were gone for 12 hours) - he will still show deference when I go to clean up the mess but I just pretty much ignore reacting to it otherwise and he is fine right after.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yea, my dog hated other dogs, he just didn't like them, so i really didn't care to socialize him much. He was also racist against black ppl and always barked whenever anyone approached the house, he was great! I had 100% trust in him, even tho he was a rescue, the neighborhoods would just run up to him since he looked like Clifford. I did have this one asian friend that my dog growled at, and my wife and I were utterly shocked, we attributed to the fact that he was the biggest pussy around dogs and he was probably giving off the "HOLY SHIT DON'T EAT MY FACE!!!" vibe.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Sounds exactly like my dog was. Seems you aren't "pack leader" yet. Despite success in training right after rescuing, my dog did the growl/nip/bite when scared thing for months after. Maybe 6 months in he actually tried to bite my hand for real so I lifted him off the ground and flipped him over on his back and pinned him with both hands - got loud so he knew I was not playing and stared at him making sure he couldn't look away from me. He retreated from me for a few hours after he relented and I let him go, tail between his legs, but he's now a fantastic dog. The worst he will do is whimper when he's scared instead of growling. I was afraid we'd have to put him down (I can't own a dog that I can't trust not to attack people) but he really responded well and even started trusting me more and wants me to play catch with him where before he would run away with toys afraid I would take them. Now he knows I will so he's OK with sharing and playing fetch since it's really "my" toy in his eyes. When he does something bad and I call him out on it instead of hiding, he will slowly walk over with his tail between his leg and I will scold him verbally and he looks away. I just treat him passively for a little while then we go back to normal. He doesn't really have many accidents but I never punish him for reasonable ones (like when he's sick or we were gone for 12 hours) - he will still show deference when I go to clean up the mess but I just pretty much ignore reacting to it otherwise and he is fine right after.
My dog is like that too, and definitely sees me as the alpha. When I raise my voice the tail goes between the leg and she either hides behind my wife, goes to a corner, hides under a table, or slowly waddles towards me with her ears back scared shitless. Unfortunately, she's always been a bit fucked up since we rescued her. I don't know how much it has to do with it, but she was taken from her home and placed in quarantine due to a parvo scare, and I think it messed her up pretty good. She doesn't trust new people unless we have them give her a treat first. We tried to have my son give her a treat but he kept trying to eat it.

She also pulled this shit with my brother's wife.

Also obviously I would spend time working with her before getting rid of her, that's pretty much worst case scenario and only gonna happen if she actually bites him. It will be the worst day of my life.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Here's happy for the time. 6 years ago, here we were celebrating Baku's 1st birthday.

Here's a playlist of a bunch of videos we took of him.
Baku the 8 week old Pitbull Puppy. - YouTube
1. This was ridiculous. No judgement, but a birfday meal for a dog is ridiculous.
2. Yo girl looks pretty good. You still with her? If not, can we see the nudes?
3. Why were you sticking the chop stick in his face? Is that something you always did?

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
The answers in my head and now on your screens to the above points:
Any excuse for a party is a good one. (Rest in peace Baku)
I believe the attractive woman referenced is now his wife.
I think she was assisting the dog to be able to reach/get all of the food with the chopstick as it doesn't appear that Baku had opposable thumbs to be able to use the chopsticks himself.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Mrs. Gravy answered all questions correctly. We've been married for 8 years now. We were married before even taking the first video of Baku.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
1. This was ridiculous. No judgement, but a birfday meal for a dog is ridiculous.
My bully on his 2nd birthday

rrr_img_133651.jpg

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
There are apparently more ridiculous people posting here than I realized.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We give our dog a birthday meal but usually it's just boiled chicken breast and rice. After having a birthday meal she usually refuses to eat for 3 days because she realizes she hates brown pebbles.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
My mother in law does that every day for her dogs. I mean, it's not always chicken and rice, but she cooks for them every day. When she goes out of town, she will have a freezer full of premade meals for the dog sitter. Chicken and rice, beef and peas ... heck there's at least one more but I can't remember it. She tells the dogsitter they can have some of it only if she made extra.

I love my mother in law.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
My mother in law does that every day for her dogs. I mean, it's not always chicken and rice, but she cooks for them every day. When she goes out of town, she will have a freezer full of premade meals for the dog sitter. Chicken and rice, beef and peas ... heck there's at least one more but I can't remember it. She tells the dogsitter they can have some of it only if she made extra.

I love my mother in law.
My in-laws are Chinese. I do not understand their approach to food. When they cook poultry they will gleefully eat the wing tips, face, spine, feet, and kneecaps and then cut out the breast meat untouched and feed it to the dog. Dogs love them, but wtf.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My in-laws are Chinese. I do not understand their approach to food. When they cook poultry they will gleefully eat the wing tips, face, spine, feet, and kneecaps and then cut out the breast meat untouched and feed it to the dog. Dogs love them, but wtf.
I am yellow, i will tell you why. breast meat sucks. There is ZERO flavor out of it, most every asian recipe will call for chicken thighs/drumsticks, cuz that's where all the flavor is. Also if you don't know what the yummy chicken oyster is... well thata's just deliciousness.

What+are+Chicken+Oysters+and+How+Do+You+Find+them..PNG

Chicken breast is only "a thing" in america cuz ppl want to "eat healthy", so that's why the focus is on the boobs, and why we think it's precious. Asians don't, genetically unless you're a fat hawaiin or training to be a sumo, our genes keeps us relatively thin so we only eat the delicious chicken stuff, the thighs.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Baku's ashes were delivered yesterday. We scattered most of them around the giant common area outside of our house where he loved to run and play. But we're taking a few with us to Hawaii so at least he makes it out there in some form.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Baku's ashes were delivered yesterday. We scattered most of them around the giant common area outside of our house where he loved to run and play. But we're taking a few with us to Hawaii so at least he makes it out there in some form.
Do japanese have any voodoo about ashes? when i went to spread my dogs ashes in my childhood home backyard, moms said i had to walk around the house thru the backyard, basically i couldn't bring the ashes inside the house.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Was that voodoo or is she just one of those people who refuse to let a dog in the house?