jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
@Screamfeeder

Buddy at the beach:

IMG_20170722_180313.jpg

Luna, going for a ride:

IMG_20180203_135340.jpg

Buddy was found lost, put up signs. Owner came for him, pissed off. Saw owner beating him chained to a dog house. Came back later, took the chain off and said, get in the car Buddy, been his name ever since.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Nubs is a little old prick but I would probably need shovels and crushed limestone if anyone tried to hurt him.
How much of a prick is he? Well he responds appropriately to the words: outside, car, treat, squirrel and IN...unless he is on a scent. Then, all bets are off and I am trudging through the woods in a nightie at 2 am and 10 degree F to chase the little fucker back to the house. Once inside, he is crated for the time it takes me to pull off all the "stick tight" burrs off of myself. He then is released and sleeps on his comforter on his side of the bed. This happened early Tues. this week, I had the flu and 101 temp. I did not want him getting eaten by coyotes or to make his happy little way down to the creek.
Yep...I may have spoiled him.
No one messes with my dog, not even me.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
If people even say the word squirrel around Luna, she is off to the races. They are known in this house as S Q.

• 2Worf

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is Ampersand, or Ampy for short. She's a wonderful cat, and also a murderous monster. We use a dry erase on our fridge to track her confirmed kills. 2016 she had 74, 2017 she had 80. These are the kills we've either found the remnants of, or seen before she ate them. I'm sure there's more. Her best single week score was 10 kills, including 3 in one night. AMP stands for Ampy Murder Points. I took the second picture two weeks ago, before erasing the board as she got her first kill of '18.

There's nothing like seeing her crushing a skull in her mouth, and being inside 10 minutes later snuggling like the gentlest creature who has ever lived. She's the best!

My questions is: why do you have so god damn many mice/rats/voles/squirrels/chipmunks to begin with and then after all this murdering, so many more left?

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
My questions is: why do you have so god damn many mice/rats/voles/squirrels/chipmunks to begin with and then after all this murdering, so many more left?

Shrug. Literally anything that moves and is less then 3ft off the ground she tries to kill. Mice, moles, shrews, chipmunks, rabbits, FLYING squirrels, doves, cardinals, robins. I've had hunter cats before but she is prodigious.

Also she likes to eat faces first. And sometimes JUST the face. Nothing quite like waking up to a pair of faceless bunny corpses.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That's funny, my cat seems to prefer the ass. It's very common to find mice on my back steps that end at the rib cage with their intestines hanging out.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
When I as kid we had a strawberry farm in Evansvile IN and I had a cat named Silver. She would put a dead rat on the doorstep every morning.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
do you even have to feed farm cats pet food?

It depends on how heartless you are. Some people don't, but if you don't, some or all of them are going to die in the winter. Some of them are going to die anyway, but we always feed them. They are a little overpopulated right now at the main ranch house, I think we have like 30. Some people say to feed the number of cats you want, not the number you have. Cat food is pretty expensive right now but it's a balance. I almost panicked last spring because I counted 27 kittens in the barn on top of the 30 cats we already had but miraculously, by winter we had about 30 again. Some of them are last spring's kittens, some are older, but maybe this is our equilibrium point. When I was a kid we had a bout of distemper come through and kill all the cats and it was unbelievable how bad we got overrun with mice. You definitely need some cats around.

• 2Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
That's funny, my cat seems to prefer the ass. It's very common to find mice on my back steps that end at the rib cage with their intestines hanging out.

She's a god damn surgeon she will eat an entire animal, except for an undamaged stomach/intestines/colon left in a pile.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I have a 65 pound yellow lab.

A little over a year ago she tore her right hind knee ligament and we had to have surgery for 3 grand to repair.

About three weeks ago we went to vet and she partially tore the other rear knee. She's been on rest and we are trying to mitigate. Now her original knee is limping because i think she has been overcompensating.

I've heard people who get stifle braces on the rear for this. She's 9 years old. Any one have suggeTions on braces that might get her through a few more years without surgery? Or at least keep her mobile a bit?

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I just want her to be able to get around the house. I can't justify another 3 grand surgery or even two more! And I'm not wanting to put her down or make her live a horrible life.

Drank some vodka with the wife out. Might be a bit over emotional. These things happen. Not ready for my puppy to have these issues

• 1Solidarity

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This stuff is why I'm amazed anyone fosters older animals. I mean, good on them; the world needs more of them. But to explicitly sign up for not just the waning years, and the final goodbye, but also all the $$$ medicines and $$$$ surguries et all.

Salutes to those who can and choose to do so.

• 1Solidarity

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
My neighbor's dog has braces that seem to help him quite a bit. I don't know exactly the situation other than that it was because of torn tendons but they say he can't do much of anything without the braces but wearing them he runs and plays and is generally a lot happier now so if you don't mind your dog looking like a cyborg it might be an option.

dozer.jpg

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone gone through the process of cancer treatment -- leg amputation into chemo? My wife and I were vehemently against it but the more research I do and anecdotes I read it seems like something that's not that bad at all for the dog if they're determined to be a good candidate. Our dog is perfectly fine except for the excruciating pain from the cancer in his shoulder bone. Many people who've gone the amputation route have said it was like night and day a few days after the surgery because the dog was completely free of that deep throbbing pain.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Anyone gone through the process of cancer treatment -- leg amputation into chemo? My wife and I were vehemently against it but the more research I do and anecdotes I read it seems like something that's not that bad at all for the dog if they're determined to be a good candidate. Our dog is perfectly fine except for the excruciating pain from the cancer in his shoulder bone. Many people who've gone the amputation route have said it was like night and day a few days after the surgery because the dog was completely free of that deep throbbing pain.

I had a german shepherd growing up that had cancer in one leg that had to be amputated. He never needed chemo, but he adjusted just fine to three legs and lived a long life. That being said, my last dog-- an English Bulldog, came down with stage 4 lymphoma at only four years old, and after investigating I decided against chemo. For chemo, you really have to get a feel on prognosis/outcome to make your decision. Like are you just buying him time, or will it be cured or put into long term remission. For my Bulldog Porky, chemo would have only bought him another year or so, at best, so I decided against it. Also, though dogs don't respond as negatively to chemo as humans do, it's still a miserable experience.. Then besides the cost, there's also the fact that you'll need to frequently take off work to take him for chemo.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have a 65 pound yellow lab.

A little over a year ago she tore her right hind knee ligament and we had to have surgery for 3 grand to repair.

About three weeks ago we went to vet and she partially tore the other rear knee. She's been on rest and we are trying to mitigate. Now her original knee is limping because i think she has been overcompensating.

I've heard people who get stifle braces on the rear for this. She's 9 years old. Any one have suggeTions on braces that might get her through a few more years without surgery? Or at least keep her mobile a bit?

In November, we spent just under $7,000 for spinal surgery for one of our dogs. Burst disc. She's doing great now, but still has some tremors. Only 3 years old. They're family; the decision was an easy one for us. Your pup is a little older, but 6 years from now, would you regret the choice to not take care of her? Would you look back on that and trade the money for her?