Pets

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
In November, we spent just under $7,000 for spinal surgery for one of our dogs. Burst disc. She's doing great now, but still has some tremors. Only 3 years old. They're family; the decision was an easy one for us. Your pup is a little older, but 6 years from now, would you regret the choice to not take care of her? Would you look back on that and trade the money for her?

If she has 6years it would be different. Basically another surgery would make her expectancy a year or two. If it comes to a choice with no options I’ll have to do it. Still hoping for another route. Just bought a temp brace

Last edited by a moderator:

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone gone through the process of cancer treatment -- leg amputation into chemo? My wife and I were vehemently against it but the more research I do and anecdotes I read it seems like something that's not that bad at all for the dog if they're determined to be a good candidate. Our dog is perfectly fine except for the excruciating pain from the cancer in his shoulder bone. Many people who've gone the amputation route have said it was like night and day a few days after the surgery because the dog was completely free of that deep throbbing pain.

If pain free, a dog will live a happy life. I don't know anything about chemo tho.

I've had many pets come and go in my life. Sam(became Samantha) was a collie I had who loved to chase cars. Came home from school one day to find her on the porch with a bloody leg. She had been hit by a car and dragged herself home. Got her to the vet and lost her right side rear leg. Took her awhile to get used to not having the leg, even with the cone she would find ways to rub the stitches. Once it healed she was out chasing cars again. I think she got faster.

This is the road she loved to chase cars on

Google Maps

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Some reason, wife thinks a cute kitten and puppy combo is what she'd like, anyone have preferences on male v female cats?

• 1Worf

Faize4986

Molten Core Raider
fuck man, was just reading this thread the other day. Wife comes and wakes me up this morning saying our dog is acting weird. He had labored breathing and was just laying by his water dish, threw up twice and was walking slow. Took him to the vet poor pup had a ruptured tumor on his spleen and internal bleeding. had to put him down. 8 and a half years will miss him rip rocky

Last edited:
  • 9Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 9 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Male cats are a lot less cunty. Seriously, I'm not joking. Castrated male cats are very laid back.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Broken hearted.
My dear Nubbins, AKA Nubs, Nubby, the Nubster, died yesterday morning. He started to have trouble again with his breathing because of his trachea. Per the doc, I adjusted the med dose as it had helped initially. Saturday he wasn't well, would only eat if I fed him, but still was drinking, patrolling his yard, barking at squirrels and following me everywhere. Saturday night, he was more distressed and the doc said I could give him benadryl to help him a little with his anxiety. He seemed to sleep well but when he woke up, he was panting really hard. He needed me to lift him off the bed, he didn't want water. I put him out...had to carry him. He just stood on the porch, so I carried him into the yard. He just stood there, rapid breath. I took him back inside, tried to get him to drink some beef broth. He wouldn't. I needed him to take his med so I opened the fridge and he perked up because he knew I was getting him cheese. I wrapped up his pill in some cheese and he ate it. He was still gasping. panting, so I sat on the floor with him, holding him in my lap and scratched his throat and belly. He stretched like he was trying to get in more breath and his body relaxed so I thought the comfort and holding and scratches were working. I was wrong. He just stopped breathing...I didn't realize what was happening, I thought he was just falling to sleep.
I am now the only breathing creature in my home. I have not slept alone in this house before. I had G and Nubby, thhdn I had Nubby and now. just me. I could not stay here last night. I am going to tonight, we will see how this goes.
It really fucking sucks.

• 12Solidarity
Reactions: 11 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Sorry to hear that Mrs. G. Hang in there.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Broken hearted.
My dear Nubbins, AKA Nubs, Nubby, the Nubster, died yesterday morning. He started to have trouble again with his breathing because of his trachea. Per the doc, I adjusted the med dose as it had helped initially. Saturday he wasn't well, would only eat if I fed him, but still was drinking, patrolling his yard, barking at squirrels and following me everywhere. Saturday night, he was more distressed and the doc said I could give him benadryl to help him a little with his anxiety. He seemed to sleep well but when he woke up, he was panting really hard. He needed me to lift him off the bed, he didn't want water. I put him out...had to carry him. He just stood on the porch, so I carried him into the yard. He just stood there, rapid breath. I took him back inside, tried to get him to drink some beef broth. He wouldn't. I needed him to take his med so I opened the fridge and he perked up because he knew I was getting him cheese. I wrapped up his pill in some cheese and he ate it. He was still gasping. panting, so I sat on the floor with him, holding him in my lap and scratched his throat and belly. He stretched like he was trying to get in more breath and his body relaxed so I thought the comfort and holding and scratches were working. I was wrong. He just stopped breathing...I didn't realize what was happening, I thought he was just falling to sleep.
I am now the only breathing creature in my home. I have not slept alone in this house before. I had G and Nubby, thhdn I had Nubby and now. just me. I could not stay here last night. I am going to tonight, we will see how this goes.
It really fucking sucks.

:( <3

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone gone through the process of cancer treatment -- leg amputation into chemo? My wife and I were vehemently against it but the more research I do and anecdotes I read it seems like something that's not that bad at all for the dog if they're determined to be a good candidate. Our dog is perfectly fine except for the excruciating pain from the cancer in his shoulder bone. Many people who've gone the amputation route have said it was like night and day a few days after the surgery because the dog was completely free of that deep throbbing pain.

Dogs front leg came off today and chemo starts in a couple weeks. Oncologist said he's in the statistical category of getting a really enjoyable, active 2+ more years and will be able to even do short hikes again. Fucking hard decisions and I even think i'm on record here saying i'd never spend this much money or put a pet through something like this, but money isn't as big of deal nowadays for us and the more research we did on the 'taking away the pain' aspect of cancer amputation it seemed like a no brainer. Maybe we made an emotional decision but it ended up being a choice between a high likelihood of a really good couple more years or putting him down next week. The next couple months will tell us if we fucked up.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Dogs front leg came off today and chemo starts in a couple weeks. Oncologist said he's in the statistical category of getting a really enjoyable, active 2+ more years and will be able to even do short hikes again. Fucking hard decisions and I even think i'm on record here saying i'd never spend this much money or put a pet through something like this, but money isn't as big of deal nowadays for us and the more research we did on the 'taking away the pain' aspect of cancer amputation it seemed like a no brainer. Maybe we made an emotional decision but it ended up being a choice between a high likelihood of a really good couple more years or putting him down next week. The next couple months will tell us if we fucked up.

sounds like you made the right call compadre

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Looking like it was the right choice. He's drugged up for the next 10 days or so but he's hopping around like a champ, was hopping the day after the surgery. Doc said he was in the top of his class for recovery at his age. He's eating much faster and doing a lot more of his little quarky goofy things he had stopped doing a few months ago due to the shoulder/cancer pain. Can't wait to see what he gets up too after the incision heals and he gets off the pain meds.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I have a 65 pound yellow lab.

A little over a year ago she tore her right hind knee ligament and we had to have surgery for 3 grand to repair.

About three weeks ago we went to vet and she partially tore the other rear knee. She's been on rest and we are trying to mitigate. Now her original knee is limping because i think she has been overcompensating.

I've heard people who get stifle braces on the rear for this. She's 9 years old. Any one have suggeTions on braces that might get her through a few more years without surgery? Or at least keep her mobile a bit?

2 weeks of a knee sleeve/Brace from Kruse(Spelling?) has helped alot. Shes limping less and seems like her knee is healing/scarring/strengthening. We leave it on all day and take it off at night. She still gets sore in the evening and cant always make it up stairs to her bed so weve been sleeping in the living room on nights she is sore.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
What medium dog nail clippers do people recommend? My research has only resulted in decision anxiety.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Take your dog walking all the time, and you won't need to clip their nails. They will love you for it.

There are some dremel grinder types, that have plastic length guards like a beard trimmer. If you're worried, your animal might hate the sound but its hard to take more than you want.

• 1Like

apex

Golden Knight of the Realm
Take your dog walking all the time, and you won't need to clip their nails. They will love you for it.

I often get asked how and how often I trim my dogs' nails. I don't. I walk them.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I often get asked how and how often I trim my dogs' nails. I don't. I walk them.

Ditto, have never clipped nails, given bath or brushed teeth. Instead of that dumb shit walk/run them, let em play/swim in lakes/rivers, and give them marrow bones to chew on.

• 1Solidarity